Start by marking “The Valiant” as Want to Read:
The Valiant

The Valiant

(The Valiant #1-4)

From New York Times best-selling writers Jeff Lemire (Bloodshot Reborn, Green Arrow) and Matt Kindt (Ninjak, MIND MGMT), and Eisner award-winning artist Paolo Rivera (Daredevil) comes an epic ten millennia in the making!
The Eternal Warrior has protected the Earth for more than 10,000 years. A master of countless weapons and long forgotten martial arts, he is guided by the
Paperback, Trade, 112 pages
Published May 24th 2015 by Valiant Entertainment, LLC (first published December 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Valiant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Valiant

Anne
Jun 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was one of the few Valiant comics that I just didn't care for.

description

Mostly because it was just a depressing story that I didn't quite get. I know the characters and the basic idea of the whats and whys of the plot, but it was just gloomy sort of boring.

description

Eternal Warrior seems to have a very wash, rinse, repeat destiny going on, and I'm not a fan of those kinds of storylines. I like that the ending gave a glimmer of hope, but it wasn't really enough for me.
I don't know.
Recommended for hardcore Ete
Chad
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Art was pretty good, but the color was too flat and dark for my liking. The story seemed pretty pointless as it's an earth shattering threat but nothing much really happens, especially to have it's own miniseries.
Cheese
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, finally I understand why the eternal warrior exists.
Sam Quixote
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Gilad the Eternal Warrior is tasked with protecting Geomancers - mystics who “speak for the Earth” and “guide humanity to new heights” (whatever that means). But each time a Geomancer appears, so does The Immortal Enemy whose purpose is to kill the Geomancer and plunge humanity into a perpetual dark age - Gilad may be eternal but the Geomancers aren’t! Not great at his job then…

It’s present day and a new Geomancer appears - Kay McHenry - and this time Gilad is determined not to lose this one. En
David Schaafsma
The ONLY reason I read this is because two of my favorite comics writers are Matt Kindt and Jeff Lemire and I generally try to read everything they do. And they are friends! So here they are working together?! I knew nothing about The Valiant or Valiant Comics. I just like their writing, so this was like a Dream Team effort, I figured.

Disappointing. Pretty lame, overall. The world doesn't interest me in the least. Now, I am not a superhero guy, not really, though I read Batman and my share of t
Richard
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
★★★1/2
This is one of the events that sparked major change in the Valiant universe. Gilad, the Eternal Warrior, has walked the earth for centuries, protecting the Geomancer: a person chosen throughout history to be the Earth's proxy and guardian. Gilad has only failed in his mission three times, when the unstoppable force called the Immortal Enemy attacks (we now learn the significance of Gilad's scars!), bringing dark times to the world. Now, the Immortal Enemy has risen again to threaten Kay Mc
Cyndi
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow! This was an amazing story!

Throughout time the story repeats. A geomancer is born, an immortal warrior is sent to protect her or him and the immortal demon attacks. Every time the warrior fails.
Fast forward to present day with our Valiant warriors to help with the protecting.

Excellent story! Amazing art!
Jen
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’ve changed my mind. The lack of explanation of too much of important plot points is driving me crazy. I can’t stop thinking about it and how none of it makes any sense. Dropped a star from three to two.

I think there might be a LOT of backstory that I’m missing on this one, but nothing in this really explained much of anything. What a Geomancer was, why in some times they were young children and at other times grown adults. How long were they left alone before Chaos attacked? How often did they
Amber
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a pretty good graphic novel about a group of warriors who try to stop the ultimate darkness. Will they succeed? Find out and check this book out wherever books are sold.
Pamela
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
When I grabbed this off of our new comics shelf at work, I had no idea that it was part of this whole comic universe. Thankfully, the authors provide a quick bio of the main players in the beginning.

Alas, that was the only thing I was thankful for.

I was really surprised by how much I disliked this book. It didn't seem to have passed any quality control checks in either the plot, characterization, or dialogue departments. And the writers were Jeff Lemire (eh!) and Matt Kindt! I really enjoy their
L. McCoy
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of awesome superhero stories.
Oh boy, the legendary miniseries that changed everything for Valiant! 2 bad-a** authors team up and make a fantastic mini!

What’s it about?
A villain who makes anyone’s worst fears real becomes a major threat in the Valiant universe and a group of heroes must stop him.

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story’s good. Not the most creative storyline in comics but this book definitely does some things differently and it’s a cool story.
These are some cool characters. Valiant puts out a lot of great comics (if yo
Mark Morabito
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a landmark in Valiant comics. Well deserving of its risky title. Absolutely great usage of characters along with one of the more horrifying villains in years.
Koen
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay, I wanted to start reading Bloodshot and then figured out he was starring here in The Valiant..

Here's The Valiant in a couple of lines:
Story was interesting, but not really properly written.. Dialogues were also a bit off at times..
And the ending, well, that wasn't really what I was expecting, but hey: you can't have straight up winners all the time, right? ;)
Peter Derk
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Valiant Comics are back. That’s a thing.

If you’d have asked me a few years ago which comics would never come back, I would have said:

Solar: Man of the Atom
Warriors of Plasm
and probably ROM: Space Knight.

Solar: Man of the Atom got his powers by…who cares? Solar is like the king of the dollar comics bins. When someone has a big box of comics from the 90’s, and they’re really excited about it, dollars to donuts you’ll find some Solar in there.

Warriors of Plasm ran for about a year, and it was canc
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I liked this more than I thought I would. The storyline is pretty complicated and dark, with an immortal warrior facing an invincible enemy of darkness, seeing countless people dying. This time, he has formidable team mates working on his side, for reasons of their own.

Of course, my favorite character is the nanobite infected, anmesiac soldier, cause that's how I roll.

It was weird, but the art was good, and the story was interesting. I would read more of these, of there are more.

Overall rating:
Brian Poole
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Valiant was far more than an exercise in synergistic branding for Valiant Entertainment. The limited series is a first-rate, character-focused adventure.

The Valiant zeroes in on the Eternal Warrior and his role as the guardian of Geomancers, the line of mystics with a strong connection to the Earth. Three different times in the past, the Eternal Warrior failed to save a Geomancer from the Immortal Enemy, a shadowy, primal creature that takes on different forms. After each of the three deaths
47Time
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The main antagonist is brilliantly done, especially is the latest iteration where he takes the appearance of a gentleman from a children's story. Or horror story, really(view spoiler).

The Eternal Warrior Gilad was given the task of protecting each age's Geomancer. Unfortunately, the Eternal Enemy always managed to kill the Geomancer, plunging the world into dark times. The current Geomancer is Kay, a young woman whose life is in disarray. G
Sonic
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kindt and Lemire BOTH??? And doing a superhero book??? A super hero Team??? Of their own invention???

Even so, I was surprised by how good this is!
wcervantes
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great art and writing. A really interesting story, whilst self contained, it does what the Valiant Universe does best: setting the stage for future stories, and making you care about them.
Kait
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-comics
I haven't read anything in this universe, so these characters were all new for me. I loved the idea of the Geomancer and the character of Kay. I loved her exchanges with Bloodshot. I understood the villain and Gilead, and found that an interesting plotline. I particularly loved how the design of the villain changed thoughtout the flashbacks, depending on the major fears at the time. The rest of the story was kind of just filler for me.

If there was a second volume of this, I would probably read i
Patrick
I'm calling this a very solid read. It's probably a good entry point to the universe. The art still feels kind of simple...and not in a great way. And the writing sometimes feels clunky, but that could be in part due to me not feeling at home here, yet.

I'm up for reading the Bloodshot Reborn series next.
C. Varn
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun

Setting up both Lemire's Bloodshot Reborn and The Book of Death, this is a fairly fast paced and goes into this version of the unified Valiant universe. A fun reset to Valiant that shifted several key characters profoundly.
Lisa
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
ooooo. A great combo of classic superhero and horror art plus characters with what have to be great back stories.
Pawan Rai
3/5 story
2/5 ending
Chris Lemmerman
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Eternal Warrior's greatest foe, The Immortal Enemy, has killed three Geomancers in the past. And now he's back to do it again. But this time, Gilad isn't alone. With the help of every hero the Valiant Universe can find, the Immortal Enemy has his work cut out for him this time round.

The Valiant feels like it's trying to be two things at once, and this is to the detriment of one in favour of the other. On the one hand, we have a very personal story for Gilad and Kay McHenry, as well as Bloods
Britton Summers
Being a big Jeff Lemire fan, I felt compelled to get this book and it also introduced me to the mind and work of Matt Kindt as well. I got into Valiant Entertainment after reading the first trade of Lemire's Bloodshot run, which is a very good run might I add from what I read so far. So I was interested to see what this book would bring.

The story follows a group of heroes, mainly The Eternal Warrior, a Conan the Barbarian like dude who's immortal and has to protect this person dubbed the Geoman
Travis Duke
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
a fun fantasy/sci-fi mystery graphic novel that I really enjoyed. Lemire and Kindt have really nice writing style that flows along quickly and leaves little bits of mystery behind.The art is crisp and well colored, no complaints at all This story follows a hero "gilad" and a geomancer who he protects across centuries of time.. Gilad is a protector against an all powerful evil that is also somewhat immortal. In comes bloodshot, the "dude on the cover" who is some sort of cyborg who is part of a w ...more
Drown Hollum
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Valiant is a brilliant book, that carefully unites the varied figures of the Valiant U in a fight that spans the mythos of multiple books. Focused on Gilad's relationship with the current Geomancer, the reader is expected to be pretty damn familiar with the universal state of affairs, but is rewarded ten times over for the investment. There are constant, unexpected connections across the known Valiant world, a brutal, and truly frightening big bad, and it's all spelled out across Paolo and J ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Archie vs Predator
  • The Death and Return of Superman: Omnibus
  • Punisher: Franken-Castle
  • Carl Barks' Greatest Ducktales Stories, Volume 1
Jeff Lemire is an award-winning Canadian cartoonist, and the author of the Essex County Trilogy, Sweet Tooth and The Nobody. Lemire is known for a his moody, humanistic stories and sketchy, cinematic, black-and-white art.

The Valiant (4 books)