Start by marking “Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty” as Want to Read:
Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty

Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty

(Once Upon a Time)

"ONCE UPON A TIME"
IS TIMELESS

The Princess Aurore has had an unusual childhood. Cursed at birth, Aurore is fated to prick her finger at the age of sixteen and sleep for one hundred years -- until a prince awakens her with a kiss. So, to protect her, Aurore's loving parents forbid any task requiring a needle.

Unable to sew or embroider like most little princesses, Aurore
Published October 24th 2006 by Simon Pulse (first published December 1st 2002)

Anne
May 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
What. Just. Happened?!

description

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be spoiling everything from here on out, so for anyone who doesn't want spoilers, just know that it was a good book till it hit the 90% mark and went off the rails.

description

Alrighty. I liked the way the story was told, and I (mostly) liked the voice of the heroine, Aurore. I even liked why she was cursed to start with, the way the curse played out, and how she spent her 100 years asleep. Plus, I absolutely loved the length of the book. Not too long, not
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Arrrrghhhhhh! WHAT DID I JUST READ?!

This installment In the Once Upon a Time series centers around Aurore, a girl destined to fall into a deep sleep at the age of 16.

This story quickly dismisses any notion that this will be anything similar to the Disney version; or the Grimm brothers's version for that matter. There aren't evil witches or fairy godmothers or anything like that. The "sorceress" that casts the spell on Aurore is called Jane. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? PLAIN JANE IS SUPPOSED TO BE IN C
Abigail McKenna
This was... interesting. At about 60%, I thought I knew where it was going. Turns out, I did not.

Aurore was a fun character to read about. The way she smashed the mold of fairytales was really funny to me, and overall, she was such a strong person that it was kind of inspirational. I didn't really approve of how she treated her mother (if I said some of those things to my mother... oh boy...), but considering she had such a huge curse hanging over her head and still was able to function, yeah
Cara
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cara by: Ginny
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tales
What a surprise! You know most of these books are fairly predictable, which I don't mind, but this one wasn't. Don't get me wrong it's not like a thriller with major twists at every page, but I honestly didn't have everything figured out from the beginning. A totally refreshing change.

Aurore is of course the girl with that golden hair and startling eyes, but she is different apart from that. Though her curse at first is a hindrance, in some weird way it turns into an advantage. She explores as m
Katherine
”’The prick of a finger. One sharp wound. One bright drop of blood. That’s all it will take to cut your life down. Sixteen years, I give you, ma petite Aurore, lovely as the dawn.”

What the fresh hell was this????

Looking back on this series, it’s hard for me to see what I found so appealing about this series when I was in middle school. These books were always in the paperback loan section at my library, and since I hadn’t graduated to the general YA section (if there even was one; the YA boom
Tina
Dec 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Valerie
Sep 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: retellings, fantasy
I was completely at a loss on how I was going to rate this book. It’s not that I didn't like the story or the writing. It just wasn't what I expected, mostly just the ending though. I'm sure others would think that the ending was obvious but I was actually surprised.

The princess Aurora is the type of princess everyone loves. She does everything from archery to sheering sheep to embroidery. She may not be good at everything but she tries it all. She is terrible with the royalty stuff such as dan
Figgy
Review to come.
Sonja
Nov 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes fairy tales
Recommended to Sonja by: a customer
Shelves: fantasysci-fi
Anastasia Garcia
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: young adults, people who like modern fairy tales with unsettling endings
Recommended to Anastasia Garcia by: no one
I must first admit, I love retold fairy tales. But I will also have to admit, if you are going to rewrite a classic it better be amazing.

It's been a few years since I've read it but from I can remember: This story is a somewhat modern retelling of Sleeping Beauty as the title will reference. There's still thorns to travel through, a prince, an old king, and a villain.

What threw me off was the ending. I DISLIKED it very much. It left me with a ... gross feeling. I suppose in the olden times tha
Nights
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
It wasn't the worst story I've ever read, and I was enjoying it, but it certainly wasn't the best. The ending was... gross. I was squirming while reading it because of how gross it was. (view spoiler) I was just too grossed out.
The book would have been a solid 3, but the ending ruined it for me.

I gav
Janell
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great fun! I was truly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book -- especially since I was not fond of Snow, another book in the Once Upon a Time books. The changes to the story and the characters were clever and seemed very true to the spirit of the wonderful story of Sleeping Beauty. The book is told in first person, which is not my favorite style of writing, but I still found it difficult to put this one down until I was finished.

(I enjoyed this one so much that I realized I hadn't liked Sno
Bethany
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
This has become my favorite book. It was SO amazingly good! At first it went along like your typical Sleeping beauty, but what made it a novel after my heart was the fact that the princess, Aurore, takes things into her own hands, and leaves everything that she loves behind in order to save her whole kingdom. But by doing so, she manages to find true love.
Towards the end, my hands were shaking because I was so afraid, I had gotten very into the story, and I was gasping, and my eyes were wide, a
Stefania
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like fairy tales retold
Shelves: read-2011
Jen • Just One More Page

This review is also posted on my blog.

(view spoiler)
Erudessa Aranduriel
This was a very unique re-telling and I enjoyed it very much. Short, but sweet.
Felicia Edens
Not a big fan of incest, or of a poorly written plot.
Marian
Feb 04, 2010 rated it liked it
What could have been an interesting twist on such a familiar fairy tale is just not fleshed out enough to satisfy me. Themes of a deep magical world, opposites at war with one another and Prince Charming starting out not-so-charming hold a lot of promise. None is fully realized though. I'm not even sure where Sleeping Beauty and Oswald ever really fell in love.

Normally, I have no problem with a first-person narrative. This book seems the poorer for it. Perhaps because Aurore sounds no more like
Daniel Osborn
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a fun an interesting retelling of the tale Sleeping Beauty. I purchased this and a few others because I am doing my own retelling that of through maleficent the so called evil fairy. This was an easy and fast paced book to read. A lot of interesting story lines and plots. The reason that I gave this book a 4 star rating and not a 5 star rating is the the fact that the author described everything in beauties story which lead up to the prick on the finger. She however only spent a few pag ...more
Ela
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS*

It had a few nice moments...but no, I didn't like it that much. It was pretty predictible from the very beginning (it was quite clear that Aurore will be with Oswald from the ball scene...). And I don't like when the author tries to make a fool of me. I had a feeling that Ms. Dokey tried to confuse the reader in the last chapters (all what happened in the forest from meeting the prince) so no-one will uncover the very obvious facts (who is the prince's grandfather
Ria
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really should have hid the whole thing due to spoilers, but I'm choosing not to. I will still use the (view spoiler) thing though. That last spoiler was the word spoiler :D.

Okay.

To begin with, THIS IS NOT DISNEY'S SLEEPING BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, that just makes me really happy.)

As in our main character is not an airhead who sings and has animal buddies and makes the perfect guy out of clothing actually someone
Rosalba
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: princess-like
I'd give this book 2 and a half stars if I could,it was little more than OK but I can't say I liked it a lot. It was a good retelling of the Sleeping Beauty, and I liked Aurore, Ironheart, Oswald, and Aurore's father (probably the best king ever, he almost brought tears to my eyes). But the whole magic-all-around-you stuff was rather confusing, there were a lot of gaps in the story (like how she met Ironheart while she was still awake when supposedly she ought to have been asleep for the years t ...more
Jess
Nov 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
What bothered me most was this one scene where the main character is caught in a hailstorm, where the hail stones are as big as fists. One of them hits her on the head, and she's fine.
Not too long ago, I experienced a horrible hailstorm, where the hailstones were as big as golf balls, and THEY caused thousands of dollars of damage for people all across the city. They broke a few of my windows, dinted cars, even killed one of my chickens. Imagine what hailstones the size of fists could do...
Becau
Sara ♥
Ummm... This book was REALLY REALLY REALLY cute! At one point, I got so excited that I had to pull out my copy of Disney's Sleeping Beauty and listen to one of the song-sequences... :) ("I know you... I walked with you once upon a dream....")

I loved the voice of the narrator — her straightforward confession-like tone. I was drawn in from the "Preamble (A fancy way of saying introduction)." I thought it was VASTLY amusing. I read it aloud to my husband. He rolled his eyes, but whatever.

I do have
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
I am a sucker for re-imaginings of fairy tales, and I had read and enjoyed her new take on Arabian Nights (The Storyteller's Daughter), but I could have done without this story. Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite fairy tales, but this one seemed too casual and a little silly. I know the time shift -- sleeping for a hundred years -- definitely throws the story a curve, but this retelling takes it a bit far.
Aurore ends up in an enchanted forest, the journey through which seems to be an existent
Alice
Jan 14, 2011 rated it liked it
This retelling of "Sleeping Beauty" was fun and charming, with plenty of twists and turns and lots of adventure. I think my boys would even like it. Aurora is spunky and courageous, and the story teaches lessons of doing the right thing no matter what, even when it's really, really difficult. It's also a story of true love, of course, based on a real relationship, and not just looks, or "love at first sight." Thank goodness.

There is no inappropriate language and contains nothing more than a swee
Clare Holman-Hobbs
I didn't really like how the narrator used brackets to tell us super obvious parts of the story. I.e. The King and Queen (my parents) when we'd already established our narrator is Princess Aurore. That's another thing I couldn't get on board with. I felt like the whole time the book was like "this is not the Disney version of Sleeping Beauty but we're still going to subtly reference it even though, did I mention, it's NOT the Disney version. Also, Maleficent has been renamed Jane (and by the way ...more
Malea
Jun 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
An odd tale of Aurore and the spells that fight within her. A spell of destruction and a spell of salvation. She must fight these spells, stay true to her heart and find her true love - after sleeping for 100 years of course. This telling had twists that I found to be easy to read and were disturbing and/or extremely odd. When I finished reading I just felt unnerved and bothered. I love fairy tales, but this one was just a little too odd for me.
Melissa McCauley
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Although it was fairly well-written, this lackluster retelling of the Sleeping Beauty myth suffers from lack of character development. The first person narration by Princess Aurore is so bland, I quickly lost all interest in her. I found the way the author re-interpreted Prince Charming ridiculous and unbelievable … and frankly, more than a bit icky. Spoiler – they are too closely related for my comfort … um, eeewwwww.
Amy
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Robin McKinley fans
I read this book in just a couple of hours - it's very short. The writing style is charming, and the characters fully imagined. It was just a delightful book. I was expecting to be massively disappointed in any retelling of Sleeping Beauty after reading Spindle's End, because, I mean, c'mon. But this was just great.
A Million More Pages: Beauty Sleeping: Feb 15 15 19 Feb 18, 2015 08:34AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 20, 2014 12:10PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 01:04PM
Translation to Spanish, why not? 1 3 Jul 07, 2014 03:59PM
what did you think 7 30 Jun 17, 2012 08:21PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Beauty Sleep 1 3 Jan 30, 2012 10:07AM
  • Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince
  • Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid
  • Spirited (Once Upon A Time)
  • Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • Spinners
  • Thornspell
  • Mira, Mirror
  • Snow in Summer
  • The Swan Kingdom
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • Princess of the Silver Woods ( The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #3)
  • The Fairy's Return (The Princess Tales, #6)
  • Spindle's End
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • The Swan Maiden
Cameron Dokey is an American author living in Seattle, Washington. She has a collection of over 50 old sci-fi and horror films. Cameron was born in the Central Valley of California. Cameron grew up reading classical literature and mythology, perhaps due to her father, Richard, being a teacher of Philosophy, Creative Writing, and Western Literature.

Cameron has one husband and three cats, and is th

Once Upon a Time (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of the Arabian Nights
  • Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid
  • Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood
  • Sunlight and Shadow: A Retelling of The Magic Flute
  • Spirited (Once Upon A Time)
  • The Night Dance:  A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • Golden:  A Retelling of Rapunzel
  • Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince
  • Before Midnight: A Retelling of Cinderella
“Oswald: "All your life"
Aurore: "What?"
Oswald: "All your life, isn't that what you wanted to know? How long I loved you?"
Aurore: "Well, yes, I suppose I did, but that wasn't what I was going to ask just now."
Oswald: "I tell you I've loved you since the day you were born, and you tell me you want to know something else. There's no one quite like you, is there, Aurore?”
31 likes