Start by marking “Farmed and Dangerous (Local Foods Mystery)” as Want to Read:
Farmed and Dangerous (Local Foods Mystery)

Farmed and Dangerous

(A Local Foods Mystery #3)

Snow is piling up in Westbury, Massachusetts, and Cam Flaherty’s organic farm has managed to survive the harsh New England winter. Unfortunately murder seems to be the crop in season…

Cam is finding the New Year just as hectic as the old one. Her sometimes rocky relationship with Chef Jake Ericsson is in a deep freeze, she’s struggling to provide the promised amount of food
Published May 26th 2015 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Farmed and Dangerous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farmed and Dangerous

Start your review of Farmed and Dangerous (Local Foods Mystery)
Jenni Schell
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
I haven't read any of the other Local Food Mysteries and wasn't sure what to expect. This was a very good read. You can start with this book and not miss a thing that has happened. It has a great mystery and can be quite funny at times. I can't wait for another.
Tina
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life on Cam's farm is not as ideal as she would like it to be. She is finding it difficult to provide the promised amount of food to her customers. With a brutal winter in New England and the snow heading their way. Winter is not a great season for Cam on her farm that was given to her by her great uncle Albert who is now residing in a assisted living home.
Cam is providing her farm fresh vegetables for a dinner at the assisted living home where her uncle resides. She is hoping to obtain a contra
Kristina
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries, 2015
Farmed and Dangerous by Edith Maxwell is the third book in the Local Foods Mystery series. Cameron Flaherty is running Attic Hill Farm (took it over from her Uncle Albert) and trying to make a go of it during the winter. She has established hoop houses and is growing greens in them for her customers. Cameron has a chance to get a contract with Moran Manor to provide produce during the summer. Cameron’s Uncle Albert lives at Moran Manor and Cameron visits him frequently.

Cameron is on a date with
Mary Garrett
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I devoured Edith Maxwell’s _Farmed and Dangerous_ with all the enthusiasm of a locavore presented with farm to table organic salad. I was so captivated by plot and characters that most of my “must do” items had to wait as I instead enjoyed this “want to read” book.

Suspense, intrigue, romance, and humor carried me on a wild adventure. Characters rang true, and even the worst curmudgeon had some lovable traits. The animals were individuals as well, dogs, cats, and crazy chickens, and their interac
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book in this series I have read but will move the others to the top of my TBR pile as fast as I can.
If you know anything about eastern US winters, and in particular how difficult attempting to farm during winter can be, then you will have a great appreciation for Cameron Flaherty. She was not born to being a farmer, and has only recently become fully responsible for her own farm, which used to belong to her great- uncle. Cam is trying to make her crops healthier and her proce
Crittermom
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Farmed and Dangerous is a mystery as fresh and delicious as the organic produce Cam grows at Attic Hill Farm.

Drumming up business for her organic farm isn't easy. Luckily, Cam convinces the assisted living facility where her Great uncle Albert lives to try using her produce. When Bev Montgomery dies after eating a dinner prepared with Cam's produce, Cam finds herself a person of interest in a murder investigation and her relationship with Detective Pete Pappas put on hold.

The cantankerous Bev Mo
Grey853
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Melina
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Local Food Mystery that I have read, but it won't be my last. I really enjoyed this book. I liked reading about Cam's organic farming and her antics with her "rescue" chickens. When an elderly lady dies after eating greens that Cam has provided for the local retirement home, Cam is a person-of-interest, so she has to try to figure out who the real killer is. Cam gets herself into some scary situations, and it doesn't help that it is the middle of winter and very cold. This book ...more
Barbara Tobey
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book to read this summer. Our lovely contemporary farmer has her work cut out for her. Edith Maxwell describes the snow and cold so well that you will almost shiver. Maintaining a living during the winter on a farm isn't easy. But she also needs to solve the mysteries of the senior citizen home where her great uncle lives. Trying not to put herself into danger while investigating is not always successful. Engaging and entertaining reading.
Chris
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I am sorry I didn't read the earlier books. I found this book very refreshing. The characters are well developed and very likable. The best thing about the book is that I actually learned something about organic farming. I will be reading more from this author. Just a note I received this book through Net Galley.
Chris
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm a sucker for a good cosy mystery and this one fits the bill perfectly. Farmed and Dangerous has all the required elements: a spunky amateur detective, quirky and likable characters, both young and old, a charming small town/rural setting, endearing animals, and even some good recipes. I didn't guess the solution, but the clues were all there. Thanks Goodreads for sending this charming read.
Catherine
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great whodunit story. Very cozy and enticing. The characters seem real. I read all night,it was so hard to put own. I love trying to solve the mystery before I reach the end of the story.
Barbara Meyer
This was an interesting read. I enjoyed reading about her efforts to produce share baskets for her customers in the dead of winter and the details of greenhouse operation, as well as others in the local farm to table community. It was a good mystery.

I downgraded my rating to three because of how the author created tensions in the story line, riveting though they were, by putting Cam into dangerous situations that were the actually consequences of Cam's acting like nitwit beforehand.

This drives
Linda Cirillo
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cameron Flaherty left the software industry and now runs an organic farm by herself--GIRL POWER! Raises chickens and all. In the meantime, she solves the murders that keep happening around her.

I'm loving this series. I love Cam, the way she's such a normal person who's just trying to devote herself to her work. And of course I love Uncle Albert. There are 5 books in the series (so far). I'm looking forward to reading the next (and finding out how her love life is coming along), but I will be sa
Linda Smatzny
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cam Flaherty is an organic farmer in Westbury,Massachusetts. Her boyfriend, Pete Pappas, is a state police detective. Both get involved when someone dies at a retirement home where Cam's uncle lives and where she provided the fresh ingredients for the meal that was served just before the death. Pete pulls back from the investigation which doesn't sit well with Cam. Interesting information about winter farming. The book was a quick easy read.
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Andrea Stoeckel
[I received this book free from the publisher through NetGalley. I thank them for their generousity. In exchange, I was simply asked to write an honest review, and post it. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising]

Cam is running her Uncle Albert's old farm now that he's been moved into a step up community after losing his foot. She's
Sally
Farmed and Dangerous, a Local Foods Mystery, is the third entry in a series that just keeps getting better and better.

Cam is delightful as she struggles with surviving her first winter of organic farming and supplying the community-supported agriculture program (CSA). She’s still a software geek at heart, but that expertise comes in pretty handy in running her farm and trying to solve the mystery she has been thrown into. She is becoming more comfortable with the CSA members – except Bev Montgo
Conny
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to have gotten a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for a review, which I am more than happy to provide. This is the third book in the series, and usually I don't like to jump into the middle of a series because more often than not you end up being completely lost, but I took a chance and I am very happy I did. Sure there were a few moments were I did not know some of the secondary characters, but overall it was not a problem. I loved the characters and the storyl ...more
Mark Baker
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2015
Winter has settle on Massachusetts, but farmer Cam Flaherty is still very busy. She’s growing food in her hoop house and hoping to land a contract to provide produce during the summer at the local assisted living facility. However, the night that her food is served, one of the residents dies from poison. With local gossip and the police looking at her, Cam must dive in to the mystery to clear her reputation.

The book did start a little slowly, but once the murder takes place, things pick up. I wa
Betty
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good cozy mystery with all attributes of one. An amateur sleuth, small town, craft and romance with a police officer. I found the craft unusual organic farming in the winter. The information is accurate and I found that it added to my knowledge of the subject. I got a little tired of all the dangers Cam, the protagonist went threw. I waited for them to happen. I still found the writing excellent and good book with which to relax.

Disclosure: I received a free copy from Kensington through Netga
D.J. Adamson
Keeping a reader’s interest is paramount in a cozy. Farmed and Dangerous, Edith Maxwell’s cozy offers Cameron Flaherty, a young woman who takes on her elderly uncle’s organic farm when he goes into a senior home. Challenges for Cam occur in making the farm “a go” and when she delivers fresh vegetables for the senior home’s dinner menu, one of its residents dies of poison. The story escalates as Cam becomes involved in a mystery of who done it, endangering herself and her state police boyfriend. ...more
Jeri
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Cam is struggling to keep her farm going and the winter weather isn't helping. So she decides to take some veggies to the local residence home where her great uncle now resides in hopes that they will decide to order from her regularly. Only one of the residents end up dead and she becomes the prime suspect with poisoned produce. She decides to clear herself knowing she didn't poison anyone and becomes the prime target for the murderer, but it seems there are a lot of suspects and many people wi ...more
Jason
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO glad I read this during a 90 degree day at the beach-otherwise I would have been freezing reading about all that snow and the cold temperatures. I adore Cam. She's flawed and she knows it and it's incredibly endearing. Lot of twists and turns in this one, keep you guessing until the last moment. Is it weird that I'm strangely amused by the hens?! A great series-can't wait for the 4th installment!
Barbara Bergendorf
I loved this book. It is the third one in the Cam Flaherty series and the best one yet. Cam has to deal with blizzards, stupid chickens, and someone trying to kill her all while trying to find out who killed the woman at the nursing home where her grandfather lives. I literally couldn't put it down. Can't wait until the next one comes out.
Chris Wolak
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the characters and the plot, but the pacing was slow for my tastes (I tend to read edgier mystery/thrillers so it may just be what I'm used to). Will read more in this series.
Catherine
Edited (because it was the middle of the night when I first wrote this up): This is one of your typical, fluffy murder mysteries, but without the fluidity of the ones you might normally read. The author has clearly spent a lot of time farming organically, but has no idea how to make that interesting and relevant to the plot. It felt like a lot of the time the farming was used as filler to pass the days as other, more interesting things, were happening in this town; that's not to say that farming ...more
Anne
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Farmed and Dangerous though I found a few things repeated, such as, the fact that Cam's former boyfriend was a bit overbearing. We must have been told that 3-4 times in the first 15% of the book. It's repeated less in the following book, Murder Most Fowl, but is still mentioned. Speaking of boyfriends, her new one, Pete, leaves a lot to be desired and I wonder why the author chose to even bother with a romantic element.

Not having read the first two books in the series, I had no problem
KyBunnies
The way the author put in about farming just amazes me. To not call other farmers before 8 am? Really? We have had people call the house at 5 am especially in the winter when they ran out of hay. They really must get a late start on the day up north. Down south when it is harvest season or we are extra busy we are up and at it no later than 6 am. Then we work long past sundown. I have even harvested from my garden during the middle of the night. As stated in other book reviews of this series: Th ...more
Ed
#3 in the Local Foods mystery series. This 2015 series entry by author Edith Maxwell is yet another in a series that I can't bring myself to like as much as I ought to. I like the topic, the protagonist, the supporting cast (mostly), and the mystery but something doesn't click about the book. Perhaps the author, who is an organic farmer, is too knowledgeable about the topic and tries to pack in information at the expense of entertainment. Protagonist Cam is using several experimental methods to ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Murder on Cape Cod (Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery #1)
  • Strangled Eggs and Ham (Country Store Mysteries #6)
  • Death Over Easy (Country Store Mysteries #5)
  • Biscuits and Slashed Browns (Country Store Mysteries #4)
  • When the Grits Hit the Fan (Country Store Mysteries #3)
  • The Diva Digs Up the Dirt (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #6)
  • Flipped for Murder (Country Store Mysteries #1)
  • The Diva Frosts a Cupcake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #7)
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • Grilled for Murder (Country Store Mysteries #2)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • Sealed Off (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #8)
  • On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1)
  • The Diva Takes the Cake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #2)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Paws and Claws Mystery, #6)
  • Murder in the First Edition (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #3)
  • Deep Fried Revenge (Farm-to-Fork Mystery #4)
Edith Maxwell is an Agatha- and Macavity-nominated mystery author who writes the Local Foods Foods Mysteries. Maxwell also writes the historical Quaker Midwife Mysteries, featuring a Quaker midwife sleuth in 1888.

As Maddie Day, she writes the Country Store Mysteries set in southern Indiana, and the Cozy
Capers Book Group Mysteries.

Her short stories have appeared in more than a dozen juried antholo

A Local Foods Mystery (5 books)
  • A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die (Local Foods Mystery, #1)
  • 'Til Dirt Do Us Part (Local Foods Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Most Fowl (Local Foods Mystery, #4)
  • Mulch Ado About Murder (Local Foods Mystery, #5)