Start by marking “She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not” as Want to Read:
She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  288 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Zoella didn’t know whether she was devastatingly happy or happily devastated.

Zoella has been in love with Fardeen Malik, her best friend’s gorgeous older brother, since she was ten, but he’s always seen her as a ‘good girl’—not his type—and he can barely remember her name. Besides, he’s engaged to a gorgeous leggy socialite, someone from the same rarefied social strata as
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 260 pages
Published February 14th 2015 by Indireads Incorporated (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

Jyoti Arora
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book indeed presents the age old Beauty and the Beast story in quite a new and unique way.
She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not' is of course a Romance. It has all the ingredients of a formula romance. It has a damsel in distress, it has a strong and powerful hero with a hidden scar (although, here he has visible scars too) and it has the irresistible attraction between the two which both of them keep on fighting against. But the book is written in a way that all these formula ingredients become un
Ipshita
A novel and realistic take on the tale of Beauty and the Beast; this story far exceeded my expectations. For me, a successful novel is one that makes a reader feel deeply for its characters, fall in love with them. And I fell hard and fast for Zoella. She is a laudable heroine. We get a glimpse of Zoella’s romantic musings right at the beginning and it is very clear from her day dreams that she has found her Prince Charming, Fardeen. The only problem being that the Prince is quite oblivious to Z ...more
Daniel Clausen
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like to start my book reviews with disclosures when I have them .

First disclosure, I swapped a free copy of Ghosts of Nagasaki for a copy of this book. I often do this so I can try out other Indy books and get reviews for my own books. Second disclosure, I’m often glad I do. I often find some of my best reads with Indy authors.

The author of this book caught my attention because she is consistently well-reviewed and her novels have interesting “hooks” to them. This one is no different: the pr
Ruchi Singh
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
A classy, heart-touching, South Asian flavour to the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale.

‘She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not’ by Zeenat Mahal is a heart-breaking romance between two unforgettable, lovable characters, splendid in the backdrop of joint family and its traditional values. The story makes one believe that beauty, really, is skin-deep, and it’s the inner strength and core values, which have the power to win true love.

Zoella has been in love with her best friend’s brother, since childhood. But
Book'd
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The first Impressions:
Initially at the very start up I got confused that how many characters are there, who's who and how are the connected to each other. I do not blame author for the same, may be it was me who was in a little hurry or too excited for a new read.

The Story:
The story is set in Pakistan. Fardeen is a lead character who is a very handsome boy and Zoella is a friend of Fardeen's sister. Zoella has a big crush over Fardeen since teenage and loved him deeply. Fardeen never took that s
Reet Singh
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I adore Zeenat Mahal - she has a witty, irreverent style that I find most refreshing. When her publisher, Indireads, asked if I would like to review her latest offering, I jumped at it. This is my unbiased review of SLM,HLMN.

The cover is lovely - evocative of how the story unfolds.
The opening scenes are quintessentially Zeenat - colorful, naughty, vibrant.

The warm relationship between the sweet Zoella and her bubbly best-friend is very well illustrated through their shared confidences and thei
Ramla Zareen Ahmad
My Rating: 4.5 STARS= Very Good= Enjoyable= I liked it very much...!

Very much enjoyed the writing, the humour and the family dynamics. The teasing repartee between the siblings was especially wonderfully done, which is one of the reasons why the opening scene was among my most favourite parts of the book. Romance was good too, though some more cute scenes and a reduction on the mean interactions might have made it even better in my opinion. Still, some of the fights were pretty amusing! All in a
Vinay Leo R.
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review on A Bookworm’s Musing: http://wp.me/p2J8yh-2Mc

What I liked:
+ Cover design; simplicity with the rose
+ Fun characters; especially liked characters of Swaba and Salaar
+ Story feels realistic, as do the events

A suggestion:
- Perhaps a chapter between Fardeen’s engagement and the next chapter might have been nice

I liked the tale, even though it had no major unexpected twists and turns.
Inderpreet Uppal
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book I am wondering that why is this the first novel that I have read by Zeenat not counting the short story the Accidental fiancée. How did I miss the other books?
She has the pulse of the generation; her writing is so fresh, crisp and youthful. The conversations, the tension, the wit and sarcasm are all tightly packed in this story. She writes the story with such a flow using the conversations and comments of all the protagonists of the story. I was hooked with the first chap
Adite
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, south-asian
Romance comes in a myriad cultural flavours and Zeenat Mahal's novella, She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not is a particularly delicious South Asian offering. For, romance, South Asian style, is not just about the hero and the heroine but the whole family.

Zoella has been crushing on her best friend's brother, Fardeen, for a long time. The handsome hunk who is an ace sportsman, excels at his job as a lawyer and is a dutiful son, has eyes only for his fiancee Neha. And Zoella, whom he considers a 'nice
Sumeetha Manikandan
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Zeenat Mahal is one of my favourite authors in Indireads and I really enjoyed both her books - Haveli and Contract. I finished 'She loves me, he loves me not' yesterday and I really couldn't have spent a Valentine's day in a better fashion :)

When you read the blurb you will undoubtedly feel that this is probably a modern take on Beauty and the Beast story. It is yet (and this where the author scores) it is different. Zoella has been in love in Fardeen for a very long time yet she does not cheris
Hina Tabassum
ARC provided by the publisher for an honest review

Originally published at: Lair Of A Wordsmith

As usual, Zeenat Mahal comes up with a story that leaves you awed.

This is a story of a lawyer and a TV anchor.

Zoella had been crushing on her best friend's brother, Fardeen, for ever since she can remember. Because at her own home she is treated as a second class family member, she spends more and more time with Sawaba, her best friend, at her place. It is more like a real home for her.

Once her sister i
Deepa Ragunathan
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not is a book that is firmly, irrevocably on top of my list of books to recommend. You want to read a book that is sad, but happy too? Something which will leave you with an air of peace? This is it!
This book had me shedding tears for a whole array of reasons I never knew even existed till I read this book. Heart-touching and engrossing, it took me a minute to realize I wasn't Zoella, the protagonist, and another minute to realize that this book is never leaving my poss
Rubina
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, tornado
When I got this book from Indireads, I was pretty excited. I have read Haveli by Zeenat Mahal and really loved her play with characters. She builds her characters up throughout the story. Here too we started with a love stuck girl, Zoella. Then her family problems are introduced along with her talents and by the end of the story not only is she married, she has a glamorous career too. A fairy tale in the true sense.

The story starts with a beautiful scenario of kite flying. The atmosphere has be
Biswanath Banerjee
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
In Lahore, the culturally most colourful city of Pakistan, the most colourful celebration is the Jashnn –e –Basant. The winter is over, and spring is on a rollout, many shades of the colour of the surroundings gets mixed up with the colour of the minds of the people to set up a melodious orchestra, in the land and water and in the sky. Thousands of flying kites lit up the sky of the inner city of Lahore. The land also gets inflamed with thousands of beautiful women playing with the kites, wearin ...more
Nikita Jhanglani
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Girls can never outgrow fairy tales. Those enchanting lands, where lives a Prince who is yours forever, are a constant source of hope. The only one problem, that creeps during dark hours, is knowing that these lands, and this Prince, are in a world of someone's imagination. In those dark hours, pick up Zeenat Mahal's latest offering, She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not.

Zeenat's novel, an adaptation of the very popular fairy tale The Beauty and the Beast, will make you believe that fairy tales hold tru
Sarita Rajiv
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In my attempt to be an experimental reader I sometimes strike gold sometimes dust! I struck pure gold when I read Zeenat Mahal's earlier book 'Haveli' and since then I eagerly look forward to reading her work.
Two things about her books intrigue me-the name of the book that appropriately justifies the story and secondly the names of the heroines of her books-be it defensive C or confident KK or sensitive Zoella.

'She Loves Me,He Loves Me Not'kept me awake through out the night! Reading this book i
Apoorva
Zeenat Mahal is an upcoming Indi-author who in her book “She loves me, He loves me not” shows a smooth blend between Pakistan’s local culture and literature.

Zoella doesn’t know if she’s devastatingly happy or happily devastating . Set up in Pakistan, this story is about a middle-class woman Zoella and a handsome man Fardeen who , obviously, was from a wealthy background . Fardeen didn’t know about the world on the other side where the non-elite live.

Zoella falls in love with Fardeen, her best
Kristen Cansler
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-review, r2r
She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not was a beautiful story that evoked a bevy of emotions in me and made me fall in love with Pakistan and its culture all over again. With rich descriptions, I was swept away in this touching story of love against the odds.

Zoella is a sensitive soul, and I was immediately bonding with her. The relationship between her and Fardeen is anything but smooth. It's a rollercoaster of emotions that kept me on the edge of my seat in tears most of the time.

There are so many tw
Priti
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The first thing that struck me in Zeenat’s books was the flow and the meticulous planning of the story. She builds realistic situations, characters and manages to keep the reader hooked. Her writing style is engaging, simple and brings the story to life in the minds of the readers.
What I like most about Zeenat’s books is that her heroines don’t need the rescuing from the hero. They are strong enough to get what they want and may be that's why I love Zeenat books even more.

Just like her earlier b
Bhavya
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
After having heard such rave reviews of Zeenat Mahal's writing and story telling, I couldn't resist but go for her latest book She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not. This could very well be the modern fairy tale that can make girls of today go weak in their knees.
The story starts with a kite flying scene and we are introduced to the lovestruck Zoella who can't keep her eyes off her best friend's brother.
The story clearly has strong tones of South Asian living.
As is usual in South Asian culture, the
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at Smexybooks

Zoella has had a crush on Fardeen Malik for years. Engaged to a gorgeous socialite with the same high ranking social status, Zoelle knows she has no hope of him ever seeing her for more than his little sister’s best friend.

When Fardeen is horribly disfigured in an auto accident, his fiancée leaves him, breaking their engagement and leaves him a bitter shell of the man he used to be. Family and circumstances push Zoella to the forefront and her dreams finally come t
Maria
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am sure we all remember the magic and enchantment of fairy tales from our childhood and that feeling of ‘rightness’ when Cinderella or the Sleeping Beauty are finally united with their respective princes. And we might also remember how we would have come down to earth with a bang when our mothers or teachers reminded us that ‘life is not a fairy tale’. That’s when a little bit of the magic goes out of childhood – that realization that even though we may face as many obstacles as the fairy tale ...more
Swathi Shenoy
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thank you Zeenat for sending me this book. I so so loved it :)

Meet Zoella, the girl who sees good in everything and everyone and can put others' need ahead of her own! She is a happy-go-lucky kind of person, who can spread happiness where ever she goes. But will she be able to do the same in the life of her crush, who is hell bent on walking on the path of self destruction?

Meet Fardeen, the eye candy of every girl in Lahore, Elder brother of Swaba, Zoella's best friend and on whom Zoella has
Shree
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Note : A Review of this book is up @ Readers' Muse

I don’t normally pick up a book without reading the book back summary. This book is my first exception and I don’t regret it at all. Having read all of Zeenat’s book, I had become quite comfortable with her style of writing and characterization. Particularly, strong female characters are like a much needed dose of caffeine.

Our protagonist, Zoella, has been in love with her best friend’s brother Fardeen ever since she was 10. While he has never g
Shilpa Garg
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really loved ‘Haveli’, which was Zeenat’s earlier novella. When I got the opportunity to beta read the manuscript of She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not, I was thrilled and keen to get my hands on it. And am I glad that I picked it up!

How would it be when you marry the man you have been pining for since you were ten? It would be a dream come true. Right?! But what if the dream is a far cry from the reality?

Zoella, has a crush on her best friend’s brother Fardeen ever since she was ten. While he has
Sarita
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Zeenat Mahal’s new novella is written in her inimitable style…fast moving yet sympathetic as it delves deep into the psyche of the main characters. The opening chapter immediately strikes a chord with the reader, rooted as it is in the social, cultural milieu of Lahore…nay …South Asia, for this could well have been a scene from Ahmadabad or Lucknow. The celebration of the advent of spring…Basant …is the same everywhere. It is mirrored in young hearts as their hopes and dreams soar as high as the ...more
S
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Pakistani Touch to Beauty and the Beast ...
Absolutely heart touching and beautiful story of how love, resilience, strength and patience of a woman's love can change a beast into a Prince Charming. This story had me hooked from the first page. The plot and emotions are so intense that this book is definitely a must read. Both Zoella and Fardeen have amazing chemistry. What an amazing take on beauty and beast and by the time you are waiting for the lovers to unite you end up wondering who is be
Farha Hasan
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Cinderella story at its best. Zoella is sweet, optimistic and selfless, but no one in her family appreciates her. Instead, Zoella finds comfort and happiness in her best friend Sweba and her family. Sweba's household has become like a second home to her. It doesn't hurt that Sweba has gorgeous and dreamy older brother, Fardeen. In fact, Zoella has been dreaming about Fardeen since she was ten years old. Fardeen, heart throb that he is, is safely engaged to the beautiful and stylish Neha. When ...more
Nabanita
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I must confess at the onset that Zeenat is one of my favorite authors. I not only like her stories but also the way she writes and the characters she builds immensely. I have read Zeenat’s works, ‘Haveli’ and ‘The Contract’, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading both. So when I got my hands on ‘She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not’, I knew it would be time well spent.

‘She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not’ is the sub-continent’s Beauty & the Beast. Zeenat, to my mind, always writes stories which
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Smoke is Rising
  • Done With Men
  • Soul Warrior (The Age of Kali, #1)
  • Dozakhnama
  • Ganesha Goes to Lunch: Classics From Mystic India
  • The Lost Shinmahs (Shinmahs, #1)
  • The Ruby Iyer Diaries (Ruby Iyer Series, #0.5)
  • Shakti: The Divine Feminine
  • Devil in the Detail
  • Shattered Dreams (Ramayana: the Game of Life, #2)
  • The Crossover Year
  • Baramulla Bomber
  • The Other Side
  • The Homing Pigeons...
  • Nazaqat
  • A Vision of Angels
  • Two Sirs for Sasha (Club Esoteria #9)
  • India's War: World War II and the Making of Modern South Asia
Zeenat Mahal is the #1 bestselling romance author of She Loves Me He Loves Me Not, Haveli, The Accidental Fiancee, Twice Upon a Time, The Historian and the Hunter and The Contract. She has an MFA in creative writing from Kingston University London. She writes and teaches creative writing in Lahore. She likes to stay in touch with her readers via Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
More about Zeenat Mahal