Start by marking “Mom Enough: The Fearless Mother's Heart and Hope” as Want to Read:
Mom Enough: The Fearless Mother's Heart and Hope

Mom Enough: The Fearless Mother's Heart and Hope

Are you mom enough? The cover of a popular magazine asked this haunting question in bold red letters that hung over the startling image of a young mother nursing her four-year-old. When the issue hit newsstands, it re-ignited a longstanding mommy war in American culture. But it turns out this was the wrong question, pointing in the wrong direction. There is a higher and mo ...more
Published January 28th 2015 by Desiring God (first published November 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mom Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mom Enough

Brittnee
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic, faith
Wonderful! Loved it! Definitely a book to reread through the years.
Krissie
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really really enjoyed this book. Everything from the short chapter length that gets right to the point to the variety of topics really spoke to my heart. I will re-read this one for sure!
Amber
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the only books I never hesitated to give a full 5 stars to. Are you a mom? Wanting to become a mom? Do you have a mom? Do you love Jesus? Read.this.book!
Claire Johnson
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This is definitely getting a privileged place of permanency on my nightstand. I very rarely underline in books, but I got up from my chair to search for a pen while reading this one.
Belén Lechuga
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lectura indispensable para todas las mamás cristianas. Palabras de alivio, aliento y que te retan a cambiar de mentalidad. La maternidad como un llamado de Dios.
Jillian Vincent
Recommend to all moms. To anyone who has a mom. To anyone thinking about becoming a mom.

Motherhood is about Jesus.
Danielle
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, 2015
Excellent collection of blog posts on motherhood from the Desiring God web site. I felt challenged, convicted, and uplifted reading these. It's good to be reminded that my child's heart is the most important mission field I'll ever have.

I was rattled by Carolyn McCulley's piece. She connected the decline in respect for motherhood to Darwin's view of women being less than men, and how that view directly led to a rise in abortions (thanks in no small part to Margaret Sanger). In today's culture o
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through a variety of voices mom's will find encouragement in "Mom Enough". The short chapters are each individually published blog posts that have since been compiled. Reading from the perspectives of each author, I found much to relate to in my own walk with the Lord as a mom. I enjoyed reading it on my Kindle during the night, awake with my little one. I also found plenty to highlight, that I'll surely reference in the future.
Kaylena Radcliff
This little book is the perfect complementary devotional for busy moms everywhere. The chapters are blog posts adapted to print, each a digestible chunk of reading yet still full of depth and scriptural application.
Lauren O'Neill
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly good... Encouraging. Biblical. Practical. I will return to this one again and again.
Kaylan
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must-have for every momma. From here on out, I will be buying this book for every baby shower I attend. Each chapter is only 1-2 pgs along (perfect length!) and full of gospel truth to refresh a momma's soul and heart. Buy this book. You will not regret it. I promise.
Zachary
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An extraordinary testament to the importance of motherhood. Some of the stories in this book will make you cry and others will lead you to serious reflection. It is truly refreshing to read something that affirms the pivotal role of women in a household.
Jeremy
Available online here.
Elizabeth Sanders
I found this book to be incredibly encouraging while at the same time incredibly convicting. I highly recommend it to all momma!
Michael Schmid
Reading this book as a husband and father made me appreciate more the hard and important work mothers have, as well as the struggles and hardships mothers face in their daily lives. In spite of the difficulties of motherhood, this book - which has many short chapters written by blogging mothers - rightly places a high value and honour on motherhood. It aims to encourage mothers in their struggles by turning their eyes and hearts towards God and relying on His wisdom and strength - and thus findi ...more
Sherri
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: expat, faith
I read this as I love Rachel Pieh Jones' blog. While my kids are nearly grown. I do not do daily parenting. I am not done being a mom. I was challenged in how I pray for my kids. I was challenged in remembering that the kids are God's and not mine. I love the varied perspective in the book as the authors of the book live in the US and outside the US.
Charlotte Hughes
Incredible! Every chapter is filled with truth, encouragement and Gospel reminders. The short chapter length allows busy moms to read something during the craziness of the day but always leaves you with something to chew on!
Mia
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book! A must-read for all Christians mamas!
Katherine
Lots of very good "death by living" thoughts for mamas here. The essays by Rachel Jankovic are the best writing I've ever seen from her.
Josh
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, really good. Not just for moms - dads, you should read this too.
Cassie Troja
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Moms - I cannot recommend this book highly enough! This is really a compilation of a series of mom-related articles written for Desiring God a few years back. When DG decided to retire the series, they put together this book. And praise the Lord for that! Almost every article spoke directly to my heart and my life circumstances right now as a mother. I am currently a mother of very young children, still in the process of building a family; however, I know that the messages contained in these art ...more
Sydni
The first few essays were good, but the second half were not very meaningful; they were trite and cliché and not deep, I just skimmed them. Overall I think these essays would be encouraging to mothers on a hard day, but I really feel like they missed the opportunity to encourage moms to minister outside the home. Yes ministry to your own children is important, but aren't you also called to love on your children's friends, your siblings, your neighbors? I think maybe too much focus is placed on e ...more
Ashley Bertilson
This is an incredible book that encourages, strengthens and lifts moms up. It directly relates the gospel to motherhood and how we are called to live out Christ's sacrifice in our own homes.

Mom Enough touches on everyday sacrifice, keeping eternity is mind, the comparison wars we play with other moms, common idols and relying on God every second of the day.

It has helped me as a new mom immensely and I highly recommend it to all!
Kelsey
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Encouraging to my Mama Heart

I found this to be a fairly easy read; the short chapters made it easy to finish in between helping my littles. I was a little disappointed by the “Mom Wars” chapters... but otherwise, I was really encouraged and convicted throughout this book!
Would definitely recommend!
Cassie Lee
The gospel message is clear - that we don’t need to do more or be more as mothers, but rather that we need Jesus more. However, this book felt very directed to stay at home moms, taking on the assumption that being in the home is THE way of the Christian mother which made the book feel less relevant for me.
Enola Stevenson
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So inspiring and filled with wisdom. I've copied out numerous quotes. Truths that speak deeply to my heart: "Lay down pettiness. Lay down fussiness. Lay down resentment about the dishes, about the laundry, about how no one knows how hard you work.
Stop clinging to yourself and cling to the cross." Ouch! Edifying, convicting and yet encouraging.
Celinda Daniel
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A-M-A-Z-I-N-G book... I so much needed to read such truths right now in the midst of the raising of two little girls.. "our children are not tasks to complete, but gifts to enjoy"... can I do that in the everyday rush?"
Cheryl
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent compilation of many of the most popular blogs from Desiring God. Since I'm not a big blog reader I had missed these circulating around social media. They are truly encouraging and challenging in our role of motherhood as Christians. Highly recommend
sari klontz
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly encouraging

Love love LOVE this bk. Gospel centered and funny and challenging.
Heart stuff for weary moms who need to help seeing last the hard stuff
Carol
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-again
This is a book filled with articles that speak to the challenges of a mom’s heart. I think it would be wise for me to read this book again and again, as the challenges and seasons change.
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
  • Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full: Gospel Meditations for Busy Moms
  • Walking with God in the Season of Motherhood: An Eleven-Week Devotional Bible Study
  • The Measure of Success: Uncovering the Biblical Perspective on Women, Work, and the Home
  • Set-Apart Motherhood: Reflecting Joy and Beauty in Family Life
  • The Shaping of a Christian Family
  • Green Leaf In Drought
  • The Indwelling Life of Christ: All of Him in All of Me
  • Spiritual Mothering
Tony Reinke hosts the popular Ask Pastor John podcast and serves as the Communications Director for desiringGod.org. He has authored five books including *12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You* (2017). He lives in the Twin Cities with his wife and their three children.
“It is easy to think you have a heart for orphans on the other side of the world, but to resent the demands of the children in your living room. You cannot have a heart for the gospel and fussiness about your life at the same time.” 8 likes
“The nearness of God is our good. And the trials we endure in this fallen world awaken us to this truth.” 1 likes