Start by marking “Scent of the Soul” as Want to Read:
Scent of the Soul

Scent of the Soul

In twelfth century Scotland, it took a half-Gael with a Viking name to restore the clans to their rightful lands. Once an exile, Somerled the Mighty now dominates the west. He’s making alliances, expanding his territory, and proposing marriage to the Manx princess.

It’s a bad time to fall for Breagha, a torc-wearing slave with a supernatural sense of smell.

Somerled resist
Published February 11th 2015 by Soul Mate Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Scent of the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scent of the Soul

Melinda
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
A brisk read offering history, plenty of adventure with enough suspense to enthrall the reader, a sweet romance plucking at your heart strings.

The two main characters are intriguing, Breagha with her olfactory gift along with her faithful canines stir interest from the start. Somerled, all warrior but a softness surrounds his heart. Their draw to each other is unmistakable, you cross your fingers and hope for the best for the twosome soul mates. Loads of action surrounds these two, never dull wi
Sophia Kimble
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Being a descendant of Somerled and a member of Clan Donald, when I read the blurb about Scent of the Soul, it grabbed my attention to say the least. I wondered how Ms. Doherty was going to take Somerled, the half Norse, half Gael iconic figurehead of our clan and turn him into a flesh and blood character with thoughts, feelings, hopes, and desires of a real flesh and blood man.

Well, Ms. Doherty has delivered. Her writing swept me away as if on Somerled’s longboat with him, smelling the salt in t
Ana Martins
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story/history, beautifully written! Cannot wait for Julie's next book. Highly recommended!
Jeanne Johnston
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
The whole fallen angel religious thing--which quickly overshadowed the story--actually kind of ruined it for me. Can't accuse this of being an historical romance like every other. Indeed, it's less romance than frustrating and depressing. Luckily, the promise of redemption at the end reduces the urge to wallow in despair after having read this.
The Lit Bitch
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
There was a lot going on for me in this book. Lots of locations and cultures coming together….some supernatural elements…..some romance….I don’t know, just a lot.

I know next to nothing about early barbarian history so the whole Vikings, Scottish clans, Irish history was a little lost on me. I found it distracting that there were two conflicting cultures and histories competing here. For me, I would have just stuck with one group: Irish, Vikings or Scots.

Because of all this mixing of cultures and
Liza
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Julie Doherty's Scent of the Soul. This #book had me glued throughout, never wanting to stop to do those mundane things like sleeping and eating. Historically correct, I believe, but at the same time exciting, intriguing and full of suspense.

We are with Breagh throughout her ups and downs, and feel that she is one of our friends. You want to step in and help her. My husband thought I'd gone mad when I started telling Somerlad how stupid he was! I couldn't believe the turmoil
Clara Schlegel
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of those 'can't put it down' books. SCENT OF THE SOUL held my attention captive from the first chapter and would not let me go. It is the story of a people, time and place that beg not to be forgotten. What better way to accomplish the aforementioned task than through history laced with romance. Ms. Doherty skillfully weaves the history and romance so tightly together that neither detracts from the other.
InD'tale Magazine
This book offers a sublime mix of history and suspense, and leaves the reader on the edge of their seat for the entire book.

Read full review in the 2015 May issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Amy
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Utter shite but I still cried at the end.
Loretta Gabriel
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining and enjoyable reading

This is a really great story of folk lore that is sure to keep you entertained. The author has written a very interesting story of an earlier time that is very good reading.
Ann
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Fascinating concept

This book has a fascinating concept that the author develops, covering from eternity past to present. That part of the book was intriguing. There was good action in it. Part of the storyline I had trouble tracking hence the two stars.
Frances Lemen
Jul 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Did not like

Paranormal is not my thing. 0 stars. I finished the book because I was somewhat interested to see how it ended.
Jacque Holst
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a fine surprise ending

Enjoyed the book. Not what I expected, but I stuck with it. Then suddenly it was what I expected and more.
Mandi Morgan
Apr 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disappointed

Not a fun story. It’s depressing, slow, weird, and hard to follow. The storyline is hard. The ending is pretty awful. I hated the whole book.
Carrie Slager
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
[Full disclosure: I received a free ebook in conjunction with the blog tour in exchange for an honest review.]

Scent of the Soul is a little jarring at first because 12th century Scotland is not a setting that I and probably many other people are familiar with. Still, Julie Doherty does a good job of orienting readers and quickly captures the essence of the time. You may find yourself with your head spinning as you try to keep all of the names straight but they’re repeated often so that you get a
Carole Rae
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Mmmmmmm....this was not what I was expecting AT all. I was expecting a full on historical romance. Sweet and simple. OH GOODNESS...I WAS WRONG! This was not your a-typical romance. This was intense and I had NO IDEA what was going to happen. HEA seemed very, nearly impossible. Well, even looking at the summary it seems impossible, because Somerlad is a king, while Breagha is a commoner who was captured as a slave. However, as you get into the story it was even MORE impossible.

It took me a coupl
Ccfarmer
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down. It was not at all what I expected and I was shocked, thrilled and entranced. It is not a book for my Mennonite friends but I would gladly share it with others, but I only have it on Kindle so I guess everyone else is just going to have to buy a copy. I could never guess where the story was going and am glad that I finally read it. I want more. Do you hear me Julie Doherty. I want more!
-Annie
Ara Prado
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Review to follow soon.
George
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good read! Excellent research!
Mark
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• His Fair Lady
  • Highland Madness: Scottish Medieval Boxed Set
  • Bride of the Lion
  • Plead Forgiveness (Loyalty, #1)
  • Celtic Shores (Celtic Steel, #2)
  • Scottish Starter Box Set: Angel of Skye / The Dreamer / Borrowed Dreams
  • Bedded by Her Highland Enemy
  • Highland Deception
  • Goddess Born (Goddess Born, #1)
  • The White Lord of Wellesbourne (De Russe Legacy, #4)
  • The Devil's Concubine (The Devil of Ponong series #1)
  • Isle of Lies (Scottish Duo, #1)
  • Unleashed (The MacLauchlans, #1-3)
  • Seaside
  • The Path of the Fallen
  • Brave Beginnings (Native American Romance #2)
  • Lady in Waiting (The Lady Series #1)
  • Organ Reapers