Start by marking “The Ball At Meryton: A Pride and Prejudice Alternative Novella” as Want to Read:

The Ball At Meryton: A Pride and Prejudice Alternative Novella

In Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Fitzwilliam Darcy insults Elizabeth Bennet at the Meryton ball. This slight was the first offense leading her to declare him the last man on earth she would ever marry. But what if, following the insult, they were seen in a compromising position? With the gossips of Meryton embellishing the story, will Mr. Darcy look beyond his own pre ...more
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 176 pages
Published February 2nd 2015 by Harvestdale Press

To ask other readers questions about The Ball At Meryton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ball At Meryton

Start your review of The Ball At Meryton: A Pride and Prejudice Alternative Novella
J. W. Garrett
Delightfully funny; however, purists will probably have an apoplexy and die.

This was a hoot! This variation was delightfully funny and I loved the interplay between the characters. OK, it was not perfect and purists will probably have an apoplexy and die. So, I suggest you read with caution, especially if you are bent on reading to find error and not for enjoyment.

However, the entertainment value was most adorable. And I absolutely adored the OOC [out of character] traits of our main characters.
Erika
Delightful but too short

My title says it all!!! Loved this novella, great story plot, absolutely loved Mr Darcy and Mr Bennet, loved Elizabeth, but it ended to fast!!!!! I love Mr Darcy's glower at Mr Collins and Mr Wickham's comeuppance, and how Mr Darcy finally speaks his mind the Miss Bingley!! Well I hope this author continues to write more stories and maybe make them a tad bit longer.
JMarcy
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jaff-regency
The story starts with the infamous insult at the Meryton Assembly, but quickly puts Darcy in shining armour for rescuing her after she is assaulted. Don't worry, since it happens early on it is not much of a spoiler to say she escapes safely, thanks to the training she received from her father. She literally runs into Darcy while escaping, and such a short time after Ramsgate, his protective nature kicks in, and he takes her to Longbourn. Unfortunately, they are seen, gossip is rampant, and even ...more
Leslie
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Lizzy flees the Assembly to escape the criticism of Mr. Darcy she is accosted and inadvertently runs right into the arms of Mr. Darcy. He reacts as a brother and bundles her into a carriage and back to Longbourn which creates more gossip. So Lizzy and Darcy must marry.

The author makes excellent use of Jane Austen's dialogue often with surprising speakers.

Mary
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Dear reader,

If you are looking for a delightful,humorous and heartwarming read,then this story should be added to your TBR list.

Assaulted by an unknown man,Elizabeth flees the Meryton Assembly,only to be rescued by the gentlemanly Mr Darcy.

Witnessing her distress,he accompanies her to Longbourn,is confronted by Mr Bennet and asked to explain the cause of his dearest Lizzy's unkempt appearance and torn dress.

Listening to Mr Darcy account for his part in the night's dramas,Mr B realises that th
Eliza Baum
Edit 12/13/16 - Hmm, apparently this was still in "to read" status. Gotta change that so it can count toward my yearly total! :-)

This story was cute and rather fluffy. I liked the way the plot progressed, but it was definitely a shallow version of the tale, in that the character growth and emotions were not explored much. It was hard to believe that Darcy could so easily reconcile himself to the match at this divergence point, but there were some cute and sweet moments that I couldn't resist. Ov
Barb
Nice sweet story of a compromise

Nice sweet story of a compromise that lead Darcy and Elizabeth to come to an early understanding. But, Wickham does his best to throw a wrench in the works. Does he succeed? Of course not. This is P&P FanFiction and we expect and receive a HEA.
James S
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book

At the assembly, Lizzy goes outside for some air. She walks down the street a ways and is accosted. She breaks free and runs into Darcy, who was out looking for her to apologize, and she is very upset about the attack. He takes her home in a carriage, alone, and she is ruined and he is compromised.

Now living in the times we live now, we think she is really stupid when wandering around unescorted. But here is my take on the above event, I grew up in the 50s in a very safe town and t
Angela Clayton
Mar 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Gross. Just no.

Why do people insist on writing Austen knockoffs who literally have no understanding of the characters? I started to count the number of times a character said something "softly" or made a "low chuckle." Likewise off-putting, the number of times female characters giggle or cry (softly or otherwise) or lovers press or kiss fingertips. Gah! It's nearly unreadable.

Add to that Lizzy physically assaulting (well, bitch-slapping) her sister and Wickham - seriously?? The only redeeming ad
Talia
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.

Reread: Such a nice story. Short too! A good quick read.
Elin Eriksen
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another lovely book from Bronwen. Sweet, romantic, clean and angst free.
Elizabeth is running away from an attack at the Meryton assembly when she collides with mr Darcy. He rescues her but compromises her in the proses. The plot is theire way to understanding eachother and if they will wed. Then Wickham enters the story... This book is a little different then other "compromise" stories I have red. Georgiana and the Colonel also plays a bigger part then usual.
It was a little lacking in passion an
Allison
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is the second time I've read this book. The first time I must have been in a bad mood because I only gave it one star. After the second reading, I have raised the rating to 2 :) ...more
lori huff
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Silly, but charming

The premise: At the Meryton assembly, Darcy insults Elizabeth, she steps outside to regain her temper, she is accosted by a drunken man who tears her gown, Darcy, who has also stepped outside, collides with her as she runs away from the drunk man, and witnesses see Darcy embrace Elizabeth as she runs into him. Elizabeth is compromised before she's even been introduced to Darcy, so their fate is settled.

It's always amazed me, after having read so many Regency era romances and J
Jennifer Thill
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sweet story

Clean, relatively low angst. Lovely to see Darcy and Elizabeth’s relationship blossoming throughout the entire story instead of them being constantly at odds or involved in one miscommunication after another.
Their story begins with a compromise, but thankfully, they both see the merit in one another and quickly fall in love. Wickham, always the villain, is dealt with justly. Lizzy is brave and witty. Darcy initially seems proud and arrogant, but is soon discovered to be caring and su
Wendy Wasiunec
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable!

This alternative Pride and Prejudice variation turned out to be a great read. From the beginning to the very end. I love how Elizabeth and Darcy hit it off from the start...well...almost from the start. I enjoyed reading this story because there was no misunderstandings and the villains were caught before any real damage could ruin ODC's HEA. I totally loved the Epilogue... something different; that I had not read before. I recommend this book to all P&P fans out there.
Stephanie
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun read

Bronwyn Chisholm does it again. This is the 3rd book I have read from this author, and I enjoyed all three. What I like about this book, as well as the other two I have read (Behind the Mask and A Beneficial, if Unwilling, Compromise) is Darcy and Elizabeth comes to an understanding early and we get to see there relationship flourish without endless misunderstandings and self doubt. Caroline, Collins, and Lady C are in and out. Wickham is not a major character although he is part of th
Monica Love
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
YES!!!!!!!! Finally.

A well told tale without the usual posturing and self-importance usually written into a Pride and Prejudice re-telling. Characters who communicate with each other create a story that encompasses all the parts of the original story we love without adding unnecessary angst. Well worth your time.
Rajiv Agarwal
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Forced marriage scenario

It is a forced marriage scenario. Darcy unwittingly ends up compromising Elizabeth. It seemed like they fell in love really fast. Nice fluffy read after the beginning chapters.
Buturot
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simple story but worth reading

Enjoyed reading this variation story of P & P. I didn't find any dull moment. Story/events were centered with the two main characters.
Shauna
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute

This was a fun read, with some light angst and a nice outcome. I realized that either I like it when Caroline Huntley plays a major role, or a very minor one.
Jean Stillman
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was delightfully funny and creatively different! I enjoyed it very much and know that anyone who enjoys variations to the original P & P will enjoy this funny read.
Sam H.
Sep 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: jaff
It was ok, a very fast read.
Michelle
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Lovely

An interesting variation inspired by author Jane Austen’s classic Pride and Prejudice by Bronwen Chisholm. I thoroughly enjoyed this story
Rusty Bullerman
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good Story Effectively Told.

I really enjoyed this one. It was a good plot and the pace was very good. This is one that I will re-read and I recommend it.
Marie
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jaff, ku
Loved it!
A really good forced marriage scenario without too much angst. All the characters, beloved and not so beloved were well portrayed. Very enjoyable variation.
Carol Perrin
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Ball At Meryton: A Pride and Prejudice Alternative Novella

Interesting variation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Still had the usual hateful characters: Caroline Bingley, George Wickham, and Lady Catherine. Liked the key characters in this version. Mrs. Bennet rose to the occasion when Lady Catherine visited Longbourn after stealing a glance at Colonel Fitzwilliam's letter to his father. The vocabulary from Lizzy's confrontation with Lady Catherine's arrival, was spoken by Mr. and Mrs.
Joanne Daniels
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Charming

I gave this a five-star rating because it told what could have been if Mr. Darcy had acted in a different manner. The story was good, the length not too long. It was a sweet and charming storyline. I think Jane Austen would be happy to know so many different stories have been written about Mr. Darcy and the feisty Elizabeth Bennet. To think we have enjoyed these two characters since 1813 is amazing. Well done!

Susan
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: austenesque, epub-s
In this Pride and Prejudice variation, at the Meryton Ball what are the consequences when Darcy inadvertently compromises Elizabeth? Can they come to an understanding?
Nikii
rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2017
Sue Bee
Jan 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Silver Buckles
  • When the Sun Sleeps: A Pride and Prejudice Novella (Sweet Sentiments Book 1)
  • An Unconventional Education: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Locked at the Netherfield Ball: A Pride and Prejudice variation
  • All That This Entails
  • Madness in Meryton: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Pride & Property: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
Bronwen Chisholm was raised in Central Pennsylvania, the youngest of four sisters. Though she was not introduced to Jane Austen's work until later in life, she grew up reading the Bronte sisters, Gone With the Wind, and other classics as well as watching vintage Hollywood movies. Her love of books and literature almost led her to a career as a librarian. Instead, life and love carried her to Virgi ...more

News & Interviews