Start by marking “By Book or By Crook (Lighthouse Library Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
By Book or By Crook (Lighthouse Library Mystery #1)

By Book or By Crook

(Lighthouse Library Mystery #1)

Get bound up in murder in the first Lighthouse Library mystery!

For ten years Lucy has enjoyed her job poring over rare tomes of literature for the Harvard Library, but she has not enjoyed the demands of her family’s social whorl or her sort-of-engagement to the staid son of her father’s law partner. But when her ten-year relationship implodes, Lucy realizes that the plot
ebook
Published February 3rd 2015 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about By Book or By Crook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Book or By Crook

Start your review of By Book or By Crook (Lighthouse Library Mystery #1)
Julie  Durnell
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I loved this first in a new series to me-the setting was terrific as it is one of my favorite places to stay and I have visited the Bodie Lighthouse before. The idea of it as a library and being able to live/work there too would be a fantasy come true! I enjoyed the cast of characters and hope to read more of them in the next book!
Juli
Lucy leaves her Harvard Library job, her family, and her ex-fiance behind in Boston and moves to the coast of NC to take a librarian position in a small town library. She loves the Outer Banks, the library and her apartment in a refurbished lighthouse. She arrives as a set of Jane Austen first editions arrives for display at the Bodie Lighthouse Library. Just as the events showcasing the priceless books begin, the president of the library board is murdered in the lighthouse and the loaned Austen ...more
❂ Jennifer
The story gets 4 stars but the editing barely deserves 1 star. Some of the worst big-publisher editing I've seen, with a slew of errors. Great story and characters, though and a very well-plotted murder. The author got screwed on this one.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/116962...
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Two of my favorite things, libraries, and lighthouses, so when they are combined it really gets me excited.

Lucy Richardson is the newest librarian at The Bodie Island Lighthouse Library but her hiring has some people quite twitterpated. One thought the job should have been hers, others didn’t think the position was necessary, and even the head of the library board wants to get rid of her. The head librarian and the staff at the library are thrilled to have her join them,
Nichole
By Book or By Crook was book one in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series. It was okay; a bit clunky in some parts, but overall a fun cozy. I had no problems suspending disbelief at the notion of transforming real-life Bodie Lighthouse into a public library because author Eva Gates did provide a note addressing the issue. Also, her writing was convincing enough for me to buy into the idea.

A promising series, started in 2015. I will definitely do some catch-up reading.
Yvonne
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting a new series from the first book is so much fun. The idea of a library housed in an old lighthouse appealed to me. The setting is charming and perfect for a cozy mystery.

Our amateur sleuth is Lucy Richardson. She recently fled Boston after her boyfriend wanted to take their relationship to the next step and she didn’t want to. In fact, he really didn’t want to either. Their wealthy parents were the ones who really wanted the marriage and Lucy had no intention of giving in. She heads to
Rachel
Probably supposed to be charming; really just annoying.

Round rooms don't have corners, but she keeps looking in them.

Louise Jane clearly doesn't like Lucy, but Lucy keeps biting on the baited hooks Louise dangles for her.

Determined not to go down without a fight, then backs off when the opportunity to do something presents itself? Saved by a cat? Then why not pay attention when the cat exhibits hostility in the first place?

Maybe I'm not a mystery reader.
Linda 📚
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I enjoyed the idea of a lighthouse being used as a library. If you're a Jane Austen fan, a library fan, and a lighthouse fan, this is the cozy for you!
Nora-adrienne
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
I had a bit of a hard time getting into this new series. The characters were fine but by page 20 I really wanted to smack one or two of them. As I continued reading I found myself drawn into their lives and the library they all love. I'm most definitely looking forward to reading the next book in the series when it arrives in September of 2015.
Ruth
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author says right at the beginning of this book that the idea of a lighthouse being big enough to house a fully operational library with separate living accommodation is a fantasy so that really sets the tone for the book right from the start. So I shouldn't have been too surprised by the woeful lack of research about the first editions of Jane Austen's novels. Or perhaps she did her research and then decided to completely ignore it because it would have ruined the plot!

But I still gave it 5
Meg
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good start to this series.
Kirsti
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another of those really great cozies that just hook you right from the beginning. I've had it downloaded on my Kindle for a while, and thought, why not? I'm glad I did.

I love Jane Austen, and Pride and Prejudice particularly. I loved the idea of the Lighthouse library hosting a special event with first edition books- how I would love to see that in real life! I can see why it caused such a buzz around the town. The actual setting is made up for this series, as there is no library
Julie
Mar 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book (unintentionally) reads like a cross between a mystery and Harry Potter, where there is a lighthouse that appears normal from the outside, but expands to fit a few thousand extra square feet once you enter its magical doors. Its fine to set a mystery at a popular summer resort area, to appeal to beach readers. But then to completely ignore the setting you've chosen is ridiculous. The author's note admits that the lighthouse could not house the library, except in her imagination. So why ...more
Jonathan
Usually I like to keep up with new series in the "cozy mystery" genre, but I was running low, so at my last trip to Barnes and Noble I picked this up because I liked the premise and cover. I'm glad to say that this book lived up to my expectations and even more!

The characters were great! Some were likeable, some not so much, but they were all realistic. There were no absolutely perfect characters in this book. However, by the end of this book the author seems to setting up a love triangle. I
Author Annabelle Leigha
What a wonderful book! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. I really could see the water, the lighthouse, and feel the sun. I'm looking forward to the next in the series!!
Lesa
There's libraries. And, then there are charming libraries. And, they don't get much more quaint and charming than the Lighthouse Library on Bodie Island, North Carolina in Eva Gates' By Book or by Crook. This first in a new series will either make you want to move there to get a job in the library, or run, knowing the library is the scene of murder, theft, and possibly, ghosts.

Lucy Richardson fled to the island after she didn't want to marry the lawyer and family friend she'd been dating for
Debbie
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, how could this not be a good book? We have a cozy mystery set in a library, in a lighthouse with a hero cat...You just know it's going to be a good read, how can you miss?
SOS Aloha
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books are lighthouses erected in the great sea of time. ~E.P. Whipple

Lucy escapes her parents' expectations, and an unwanted marriage proposal, by fleeing from Boston to Nags Head, North Carolina. She finds solace in the Outer Banks, where she spent her childhood summers visiting her maternal aunt and female cousin who is more like a sister. Lucy's getaway turns into an opportunity for a new direction - she is offered a job in the town's library that is housed in the historic lighthouse. The
Carla Johnson-Hicks
The first in The Lighthouse Library Mystery series. It has everything you would want in a cozy mystery: a library that is housed in a lighthouse, the protagonist living upstairs in the lighthouse, a small town, a murder, some thefts and a bit of a budding romance.
Lucy has returned to her summer stomping grounds on Bodie Island on the Outer Banks. She has quit her job of 10 years in the library at Harvard and turned down her boyfriend’s proposal and wants to start a new life. She has been hired
Tari
Oh this was so good! I had started this series pretty much in the middle when I had the chance to review the fourth book...then the fifth that I couldn't resist. But I knew I wanted to get back to the beginning and how it all started. Lucy didn't feel very welcome around certain people at the Lighthouse Library when she first started and was nearly accused of stealing some rare old Jane Austen books the library had on display. Instead, she just wanted to clear her boss Bertie who was accused of ...more
Terri
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A library in a lighthouse? A murder and rare Jane Austin books stolen? The best part- a big Himalayan cat named after Charles Dickens as your partner in solving the mystery. What else could a cozy mystery lover and the new librarian in town want? Maybe the local mayor and the local police officer in a competition to date you? Great book to start this series- an enjoyable story!
Cathy Cole
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love libraries. I love lighthouses. When I came across this first book in the Lighthouse Library cozy series, my eyes lit up, and when I discovered that "Eva Gates" is the pen name of one of my favorite authors, Vicky Delany, that was the icing on the cake. North Carolina's Outer Banks seems to be one of the hot settings for cozies, and By Book or by Crook fits right in with its neighbors.

I liked Lucy Richardson, even though she didn't win any points by staying in a relationship for ten years
Dawn Michelle
Meh.
I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. It was just meh. Which is weird because I just read another series from the same author [using a different name] and L O V E D it, so I was really looking forward to this one. Sigh.

HOW does one set of circumstances [love-triangle {WHICH is never okay}, the MC having a cop and a mayor to choose between etc etc] work for one series and NOT for another? Because there are a LOT of similarities between this book and the first book of her other series and
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
With BY BOOK OR BY CROOK, the first book in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series, author Eva Gates is off to a great start to what will be a wonderful series.

The setting is this story is stellar. A library in a lighthouse on the Outer Banks? Yes! More please.

Protagonist Lucy Richardson is smart and plucky. She, as well as the cast of supporting characters are sure to be favorites to readers.

With a suspenseful plot and unexpected twists that kept me guessing until the reveal, this book was
FangirlNation
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In By Book or By Crook by Eva Gates, Lucy realizes she needs a new start on life after refusing the proposal of her longtime boyfriend. So she quits her job as a librarian for Harvard and goes to visit her favorite aunt in North Carolina to regroup. Before she knows it, Lucy has gotten a new job as Assistant Librarian for the nearby Bodie Island Lighthouse Library. The public library has just taken a three- month loan of a priceless set of first editions of all six of Jane Austen’s novels, and ...more
Sandy
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second series foray into the cozy mystery genre and I loved it. Quaint and cozy location and plot to pair well with a quaint and cozy writing style.
Having been to the Outer Banks I could picture the idyllic lighthouse and it's surroundings.
The murderer kept me guessing right to the end. I also enjoyed the added bonus of the an appearance by Jane Austen and her classic contemporaries. This is a cozy for the booklover for sure! Highly recommend!
Piepie
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to read! I loved all the Jane Austen references and seeing other books mentioned. I'd love to visit a library in a lighthouse - two of my favorite things!
Cheryl
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New to her job at the Lighthouse Library, Lucy sets in as Assistant Librarian, much to the chagrin of its stingy board and a certain local who feels that job should be hers. Located in the Outer Banks of NC, it’s a quirky set up, utilizing all floors, with one being residential and where Lucy resides.

A rare complete set of Jane Austen first editions is on loaned display, which brings in fans, en masse, and sets the scene for murder and pilfering of several of the books.

The malapropisms of the
Tina
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucy is ready for a change in her life. She is bored working for the Harvard library and is on the look out for a new challenge. She escapes to the place of her child hood, the Outer Banks where she spent her summers as a child with her Aunt Ellen and Uncle Amos. She meets up with cousin Josie and can't deny the goodies Josie makes at her bakery.
Lucy wants to escape Boston, the Harvard library and her broken relationship she left there. Aunt Ellen then gets Lucy the job of librarian assistant at
Amanda
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy, nc
Such a fun cozy mystery set in a most perfect location: a library in an oceanside lighthouse! I really liked Lucy, who recently moved to take on the new position of assistant librarian, and her extended family and new coworkers and friends. There are a couple of mysteries going on: a murder, and the theft of some very important and valuable books. The different suspects in each mystery make it a challenge for Lucy to do some investigating and uncover the culprit(s) before they strike again. I ...more

• The Black Cat Steps on a Crack (A Bad Luck Cat Mystery #4)
  • A Scandal in Scarlet (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • The Cat of the Baskervilles (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #3)
  • Elementary, She Read (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • On Borrowed Time (Library Lover's Mystery #5)
  • A Murder for the Books (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #1)
  • A Likely Story (Library Lover's Mystery, #6)
  • Lending a Paw (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Hitting the Books (Library Lover's Mystery, #9)
  • Body on Baker Street (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Prologue to Murder (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #2)
  • Murder by the Book (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #1)
  • Read It and Weep (Library Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Murder in the Mystery Suite (Book Retreat Mysteries, #1)
  • Better Late Than Never (Library Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Rest Ye Murdered Gentlemen (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery #1)
Eva Gates is a pseudonym of Vicki Delany.

Lighthouse Library Mystery (6 books)
  • Booked for Trouble (Lighthouse Library Mystery #2)
  • Reading Up a Storm (Lighthouse Library Mystery #3)
  • The Spook in the Stacks (Lighthouse Library Mystery #4)
  • Something Read, Something Dead (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #5)
  • Read and Buried (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #6)
“some nights . . .” “They say the moon is made of green cheese,” Butch said. “And I’m going to turn into a pumpkin at midnight if we don’t get out of here.” He took my hand and led the way across the room. Louise Jane called out to me one last time. “It shouldn’t be a problem leading the haunted lighthouse tour into the Lady’s room, Lucy. You’ll be gone by Halloween, isn’t that right?” Chapter 15 “I hope you had a nice evening, despite how it ended,” Butch said as we walked to his car.” 2 likes