Start by marking “Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)” as Want to Read:
Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)

Clover's Luck

(The Magical Animal Adoption Agency #1)

Despite her name, Clover has always felt decidedly unlucky. So when she stumbles upon a mysterious cottage in the Woods, she can hardly believe her good fortune. It's the Magical Animal Adoption Agency, and it houses creatures of all kinds. Fairy horses, unicorns, and a fiery young dragon are just the beginning!

Mr. Jams, the Agency's owner, agrees to hire her as summer
Published October 6th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion (first published February 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Clover's Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clover's Luck

Start your review of Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
Kathryn
A sweet, entertaining story I probably would have loved as a kid (the four stars is from my childhood self, and also because it's much better than many of new-ish children's novels I've read recently). It is a short, quick read but also contains some lovely descriptions. Here's the opening:

"Luck is like magic. It's mysterious and exciting and impossible to explain. It can't be described by equations or logic or even by books. You just have to believe.

"Clover believed. She believed luck
Steve
I received this ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

My daughter is just getting into chapter books, so I enjoy reading titles before her so I can find out what will continue to spark her interest.
This one definitely does the trick.
There is a lot to like in this book: fantastic animals, a girl discovering her abilities, villains who aren't terribly bad, and magic.
The pace is such that it will keep younger readers moving along with only the occasional pause for
Katie
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic story! The story was full of good lessons about luck, pet ownership and hard work. My children were so enraptured by the fire-breathing dragons and unicorns they didn't even realize they were learning anything. With an intriguing plot, phenomenal illustrations and magical animals for adoption, I cannot wait to read more books from this series. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Karen Arendt
Clover is plucky and determined; despite having had such bad luck with pets, she finds and volunteers at the Magical Animal Adoption Agency. Her bad luck doesn't end, though, as an evil witch tricks her twice, putting a couple of the animals in harm's way. By the end of the story, Clover's luck turns around and leaves room for sequels. A charming story for girls who like fairies and animals.
Cat
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this would be another easy early chapter book fluff story but it was surprisingly well written and interesting. I will definitely recommend this series.
Julie
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The perfect new series for the 8-11 year olds who are destined to love Harry Potter someday.
Andrea Wright
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this first book! A fantastic story about a girl that always thought she was unlucky and the crazy adventure that helps her realize just how lucky she really is. Excited to read the next book and find out what's in the egg!!
Khai
Clover's Luck is a very sweet story about a young girl's discovery of her own self-worth and confidence as she learns that the world is perhaps far more magical than she could have ever imagined.

A great length for reading aloud.
lizzzrom
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book! I loved it. It was full of magic, cuteness and LUCK! Clover is an amazing character and I can not wait to start the second part. Recommend it! 4- A really good book.
Emily
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast moving plot about a girl who believes that she is unlucky, but learns that she can make her own luck. Book was resolved but left some mysteries to be solved in the next book in the series. A solid early chapter book.
Krista
My littlest daughter and I read this book together. Super Cute chapter book. We will be continuing the series!
Lori
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Tanya Kyi
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter and I both got a sneak peek at this book. (Thank you, Kallie!) And we both loved it. Clover has the dream job of every little girl -- I mean, who wouldn't want to care for miniature fairy horses? Though personally, the grumpy gnome was my favourite agency resident.

Kallie has a wonderful way of creating a world where everything is magical, but the problems seem real. I can't wait to read the next books in the series!
Cristi-Lael
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was a cute book. It spoke more to my daughters than it did me, but they really enjoyed it and, since I was reading it to them, I figure that's a good thing. :o)
Erica
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novel
Meet Clover, the unluckiest girl you'll ever meet. Nothing ever goes the way she plans and when she loses her pet bird she follows after it in hopes to bring it back. But instead she stumbles upon the Magical Animal Adoption Agency, an animal shelter for Magical creatures. She quickly is enlisted as a volunteer and will soon find out that she is one of the luckiest people around.
Thuy
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good for bedtime. I read a couple chapters a day to. the my near 6 year old. we're on to book two now. she follows along very well to this one, even stops me to ask question about a word.

as for the story itself, I love how her perspective of the same events led her to realize that her perception of good and bad was indicative of seeing the cup as half full.
Holly
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was a very easy read--kind of Harry Potter lite. But, it was a perfect book to read with my 7 year old son. Cute magical animals, a little bit of intrigue/suspense with the interference of a certain witch, but not too scary at all. I would definitely pick up more books in this series.
Engel Dreizehn
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If someone asked for a good children's fantasy by a Canadian/Local author....I would big time suggest this series despite it being an early reader. It felt so sophisticated, enjoyable and imaginative-dream like that I wasn't bothered by the fact it's an early reader (I'm older). Liken the premise of a secret, magical adoption agency.
Heather Gunnell
Staff Pick
Heather

Clover feels very unlucky when it comes to pets. They just don't seem to work out for her. Then one day on a walk through the woods, she discovers a magical cottage full of unicorns, fairy horses, salamanders, and all kinds of creatures she's never heard of. Now that she's a volunteer for this Magical Adoption Agency, maybe her luck will change.
Teaghan  Warren
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I love this series.I discovered it in 4th grade in my local library.I love the characters.It is a story of a girl who gets a job at the Magical Animal Adoption Agency.It is a top secret place for only magical characters.Clover is the only normal human who knows about it.Then the owner leaves and she is in charge but everything goes wrong.It is a great book.
Leah
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet story. I liked the main character, Clover. She was kind and capable. The animals were delightful. The fairy horses were my favorite. The story was interesting, and the ending should be the beginning of the next book.
Allison Turkish
Kallie George is a terrific writer. This book series is engaging and entertaining. As a children's book connoisseur, I highly recommend reading all three of the Magical Animal Adoption Agency books.
Rachel Robins
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful children's literature offering about a girl named Clover, who feels she is very unlucky. She ends up working with the Magical Animal Adoption Agency. Just a fun, imaginative read. I can see why George's work is a Utah Beehive Book Nominee this year!
Alexandra Alexyna
One of the easyest and most relaxing books i have ever read . Great for children
Lydia
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story about an ordinary girl who gets to work with magical animals. The first in a series. Great for your elementary age.
Kris W
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you an eight year old girl who loves magic and cuteness? If so, this is a book for you. Read for Granite School District's 2017-18 Battle of the Books.
Amy Varchetti
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementary
I really enjoyed this sweet story! Surprisingly clever and well-crafted for an elementary chapter book series. It's a great read for kiddos. :)
Kiyo
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-for-kids
Can't wait to read number2!!
Marie
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute book that I read to my girls. We will read the next one.
Amy
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! But wish there were more animals and a longer book!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Adorable 1 3 Feb 08, 2015 05:03PM

• Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • Dragons and Marshmallows (Zoey and Sassafras, #1)
  • Jasmine Toguchi, Mochi Queen
  • Just Because
  • Upside-Down Magic (Upside-Down Magic, #1)
  • The Secret Promise (The Rescue Princesses, #1)
  • We Travel So Far
  • Because
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic, #2)
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (Piper Green, #1)
  • Chocolate Dreams
  • The Story of Diva and Flea
  • Showing Off (Upside-Down Magic, #3)
  • Harriet the Invincible (Hamster Princess, #1)
  • A Royal Guide to Monster Slaying
  • Grilled Cheese and Dragons (Princess Pulverizer #1)
  • Ivy (Ivy, #1)
  • A New Friend (The Adventures of Sophie Mouse, #1)
I’m an author, editor, and speaker living in Vancouver, BC, near the sea. When I’m not writing or editing, I’m teaching creative writing workshops.

I have my Masters of Children's Literature from the University of British Columbia.

I love picture books, fairy tales, beautiful art and music, and baking cookies.

The Magical Animal Adoption Agency (3 books)
  • The Enchanted Egg (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #2)
  • The Missing Magic (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #3)
“Things happened. Bad things. Good things. It was what you did with them that mattered.” 0 likes