Start by marking “Can't Go Back” as Want to Read:
Can't Go Back

Can't Go Back

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
When Jillian moved next door, she refused to get out of the car. I climbed into the backseat beside her and promised to never leave her.
Now, I’m driving her a thousand miles away, so she can leave me.

She has to go. What else would she do? Follow me and my band from one cheap bar to another, get hit on by sleazy promoters? Because Jillian would definitely get hit on. She’s
Published August 4th 2015 by Forever Yours

To ask other readers questions about Can't Go Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can't Go Back

Carlene Inspired
I was provided a copy for review through New Adult Book Club.

Griffin has always had Jillian by his side as his best friend and her leaving for college means things can't be any different, even though the feelings between them are more than just friends. He's determined to throw himself into his band's music and into spending time with his girlfriend, Erin. However, his mind keeps wandering and Griffin may just have to face the music, that he loves Jillian as more than a friend.

There's music, a h
Christina
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
3 Stars – 2.5 Flames

I keep vacillating on how to review this book. There are things that I liked about it and things that just rubbed me the wrong way. I will try my hardest NOT to spoil anything…

We’ve got this hot guy, a band, a girlfriend, a best friend, a record label and parents all wrapped up in one book. Is it too much? Not really, but I strongly believe that all of these elements caused this book to be longer than it really needed to be. I mean, in reading the blurb, this is supposed to
Hannah Smith
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-adult
Actual Rating 3.5/4 Stars.

Can’t back down is ‘Across the Distance’ but in Griffen’s point of view which I was really excited for so I could experience his thoughts towards Jillian and how he develops personally as the story develops. This was an aspect I really liked, however in all honesty I struggled to fully immerse myself into the story because I had read 'Across the Distance' not so long ago the story was fresh in my mind from Jillian's point of view which may have ruined my reading experie
Julie

Check out more reviews at Little Miss Bookmark!

I was completely entranced by Can't Go Back at the beginning. I found the main character, Griffin, to be so very sweet and I enjoyed that the book was written by his POV. It's not uncommon but you just don't find a whole bunch of romance novels that are written from the voice of the male and it was refreshing to read something from that side.

If you caught what I said at the start of my review ... the book had me hooked at the beginning ... but that
Meredith Tate
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review**

If you've read Marie Meyer's debut, ACROSS THE DISTANCE, you already know Jillian's side of the story. CAN'T GO BACK shows how Jillian and Griffin got together - from Griff's point of view.

I'm usually hesitant to read sequels that are retellings of the original story from a different POV, because I find them repetitive - rehashing the exact same events, but from a different voice. However, CAN'T GO BACK shows us a completely dif
Annika Sharma
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Marie Meyer doesn't disappoint with her sequel to Across the Distance. Griffin is such a sexy book boyfriend and I loved getting to see his perspective in this book, especially after we'd gotten to know him in AtD...and fallen completely in love with him! It was so much fun to read this rockstar's weak side: his best friend and love of his life. I loved how much he loved Jillian and how badly he wanted her. Who can't relate to falling in love with their best friend? What was cool about both AtD ...more
Kate
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really really REALLY hope this book gets added to netgalley because I want to read it so much. Marie Meyer's other book Across the Distance is definitely one of my top 10 books for the year so far.
Casey
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Review originally posted at Ramblings From This Chick

I was really looking forward to reading Can't Go Back by Marie Meyer. I had really enjoyed reading Across the Distance by her, and was excited to get Griffin's POV which is the one thing I felt had been missing from that book. Can't Go Back is Griffin's side of the story told from his POV, and while I knew that I also expected to get some new content. There was some content that was new here since it was from his POV and he and Jillian were se
OpenBookSociety.com
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: andra

By Marie Meyer
ISBN: 9781455590971)
Author’s Website: http://www.mariemeyerbooks.com
Review brought to you by OBS reviewer Andra

Synopsis:

Now, I’m driving her a thousand miles away, so she can leave me.

Catherine
I would like to thank both the author and the Goodreads New Adult Read it Review it Programme for allowing me to read this fantastic New Adult Contemporary Romance book. The book fits in this genere very well because it is a very strong romance story which is very definitely new adult as it deals with going to college and starting a recording contract.

Jillian is a young woman who has dealt with the loss of her parents as a child and self-harming. After her parents death she moves in with her si
PaulaReader
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this book in exchange of an honest review.

We have this rock star boy named Griffin and his best friend Jillian, having been together As Friends for like thirteen years, she moving away to school definitely isn't going to be easy for either of them. But she goes away, and he feels lost, if it weren't for his music and his band he would be a lost case. The more Jillian is away, the more harder it gets, but let's throw some good things, some fights, some kisses and then we have a pretty
Keanna (KeyReadThat)
E-Arc provided through Netgalley

I always love that breath of fresh of air that I get from reading from a guy's POV. This was no different.

Griffin: He's loved Jillian since they were twelve and promised that despite that whatever she went she through, he would always be there for her. Even with the loss of her parents and her sister guardianship over her. He's always been her protector But when t he summer before Jullian goes to college, she kisses him which makes the feelings he has for her str
Linda Rea
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this story especially because it was from his point of view which is rare to read. It was great to see how Jillian and Griffin stayed best friends all this time. Jillian has lost her parents and when she is sent to her grandparents she meets Griffin who promises to protect her forever. Jillian's grandparents die and she has to live with her sister and husband and nephews but her sister resend sit and she takes ever opportunity to pick at her. Jillian get into design school which tak ...more
yorkie lass
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by this author so I wasn't sure what to expect . The story follows Griffin and Jillian otherwise known as "jillibean" two friends from way back . Griffin has been there for Jillian whenever she's needed him which has been a lot since she lost her parents in the 9/11 attacks . When they start to develop feelings for each other things seem to stand in the way of them actually being a couple , Jillian's off to start design school and Griffin's band is just getting t ...more
Claire
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this book in return for my honest review.

Having read the companion novel I was really interested to read from Griffins point of view.

I enjoyed the book, and it gave me a completely different take on the events from the previous book. I found I like Griffin more and could connect with his character better.

Occasionally I felt that details were missed in the plot but other than that I thought it was a great companion book.

Emma bramley
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
this book can be read as a standalone or with 'across the distance'. it is a sweet romance which you wont want to put down. I thought it might have been a repetitive story as its the same as the story 'across the distance' but from another characters point of view, but how wrong was I. so much happens in this book, I was totally hooked
highly recommended
Glady Oestreich
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was super excited to hear that Griffin was getting his own story. I've read Across the Distance about ten times already. I couldn't get enough! So, I was really really happy to get my hands on Griffin's book! I really loved this book! Griffin is THE BEST! I really enjoyed being in Griffin's head and getting to know him better. Did I mention I love Griffin? Marie Meyer is officially my new favorite author!
Samantha Schwerin
Aug 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, romance, 1-star
REALLY repetitive of the first book. Although, I forgot what the heck happened in the first, so it was kind of nice to get a run through of Jillian's story again. However-once I was up to speed, besides his band life on the side, everything was the same. I feel like the two books could have been combined and varied from POV to get the full effect instead of having two books. Sorry to say, I did not finish this. =/
Rebecca Bonvillain East
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. It only took Griffin long enough to get his head out his butt and realize what he needed to do! Although letting Jillian go off to school was the right thing to do, he should not have hidden his feelings from her. I really did like this story and look forward to reading Jillian's POV!
Stacey
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is really different to what I normally read .
I was very pleasantly surprised , the story grabbed me and sucked me in .
Griff and jillian or jillibean ax griff calls her are a great team .
The journey is amazing and what comes out of this is awesome
The book is well written and the reading pace is good .
Keri
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was just as good as the first that I finished it in a few hours. It gave Griffins POV on all the major things that happened in the first book but also added more to the story so you didn't get bored reading the same story. I love reading these "feel good books"! I am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Saskia 'follow my shoes' Smith
Aug 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Started off good, then went downhill. It got vague, confusing and apparent it was being rushed. Its repetitive to the point where it drove me crazy. Most part its about the bands life on the side. BORING!!

Ann Quinn
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True love never fails

I loved this book the love Jillian and griff felt for each other .I was sad her sister did not play a bigger role in her life . I 'd love to read a follow up do they marry have children?
Sandy Catanzarita
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was great reading Griff's side of the story.
Vânia Nunes
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Vânia by: NetGalley
The same story by different POV, this is what happens with "Can't Go Back" and "Across The Distance".
Basically it's a couple of friends who, at first, believe that friendship alone is enough, but when they are separated and try to take their lives and planning forward, the emotional discoveries begin to surface.

The plot is interesting, and although I always like the POV of the male characters, I didn't feel connected to this story.
But maybe I didn't read it at a good time.
I think I'll re-read it
Andra Weis
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it

By Marie Meyer

ISBN: 9781455590971)

Author’s Website: http://www.mariemeyerbooks.com

Review brought to you by OBS reviewer Andra

Review:

Can’t Go Back is a powerful story told from Griffins point of view. Is this just a story of unrequited love? Or is it more? It was interesting and refreshing to read a romance from the male (Griffin’s) point of view. Of note, the author also wrote this story from the female (Jillian’s) point of view –
Yamina -Women Who Stare at Books
3.5⭐⭐⭐I received this book in exchange for an honest review. Can't go back is the first book I read from Marie Meyer. It's the story of Griffin and Jillian, "Jillibean", who are best friends and soulmates. Jillibean is about to start a Fashion Design course in Rhode Island and leave Griffin behind . She kissed him , hoping for more but he let her go.
Their story is beautifully written from Griffin's point of view. However, I found some passages too long where I wanted to tell Griffin to get on w
Jamie
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, over-18-ya, romance
This book didn't make the cut for me.

The overall books reads like a biography or a diary. There was no major plot or storyline just Griffin and his everyday life for over 300 pages! From the band, to his parents, to Jillian, there were so many story lines that the author started but weren't necessary. The book had a lot of fillers. This would have been better off as a novella.

This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review,
Crystal
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Can’t Back Down is a sweet romance which you won't want to put down. Griffin and Jillian are best friends. Griffin promised Jillian he would always be there when she needed him. Over time feelings start to grow for each other, but now Jillian's leaving to start design school and Griffin's band is making it big. It was a great to read Griffin's pov.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
New Adult Book Club: #13/2016 Can't Go Back by Marie Meyer 57 92 Feb 28, 2016 06:39PM
  • Man of Honor (Battle Scars, #3)
  • Confessions in the Dark
  • A Fine Mess (Over the Top #2)
  • Undressed (Country Roads, #4.5)
  • Hot Nights with the Fireman (Alpha Heroes, #1)
  • A Kiss by the Book (Kiss & Tell, Book 2)
  • More Than a Feeling (Heart of the Rockies, #3)
  • And Then He Kissed Me (White Pine, #2)
  • Risk of Exposure (Alpha Ops, #6)
  • One More Shot (Hometown Players, #1)
  • Taking the Lead (Secrets of a Rock Star, #1)
  • Just a Little Kiss (Crush, #3)
  • Signed, Sealed, Delivered (The Ladies Who Lunch, #2)
  • Only You (Bachelor Brotherhood #1)
  • Ever After (Love to the Rescue, #3)
  • Happy Ever After in Christmas (Christmas, Colorado #7)
  • Be Mine Forever (The Bennetts, #3)
  • Loud is How I Love You (Hub City, #1)
Marie Meyer has been a teacher for sixteen years. She spends her days in the classroom and her nights writing heartfelt romances that will leave readers clamoring for more. She is a member RWA (PAN) and a 2017 RITA® Finalist. Marie's short fiction won honorable mentions from the St. Louis Writers Guild in 2010 and 2011. She is a proud mommy and enjoys helping her oldest daughter train for the Spec ...more