Start by marking “Storm Rising (The NightHawk Series 1)” as Want to Read:
Storm Rising (The NightHawk Series 1)

Storm Rising (The NightHawk Series 1)

Frontman of the grunge rock band NightHawk, Gideon Hawk has had enough of the rock star life. He is jaded, disillusioned, and haunted by the memory of an unresolved heartbreak. On a whim, he leaves the band in New York and heads to England in search of answers.

After attending the funeral of her estranged mother, Abigail Thomson makes a shocking discovery in her parents’
Published February 27th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Storm Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storm Rising

Start your review of Storm Rising (The NightHawk Series 1)
Dianne
Rachael Richey’s Storm Rising is an emotional trip through time and back as flashbacks to a teen couple in love who were separated by a continent have their heartstrings shredded through deceit,lies, and secrets kept by people in their lives who should have protected them, and stand by them, no matter what. Ten years have passed since Gideon left Abi behind to seek fame and fortune as a rock star. As a teen, Abi lived a nightmare after he was gone that no one should have to endure, and still she ...more
Elizabeth  (Thoughts From an Evil Overlord)
Ten years ago Abi and Gideon were teenagers in love. He went off on a tour with his band, she returned to school, and they never heard from each other again. Each thought the other had rejected them and forgotten their dream to be together forever. Now, on the same day Abi buries her mother, Gideon out of nowhere announces to the world that he is leaving his wildly successful band NightHawk, for which he is the frontman and songwriter. His bandmates, fans and the press are gobsmacked. With the ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, books-to-review
I had started this book and put it down because I wasn't in the mood to read it. was glad that I picked it back up because this was an enjoyable story. I did have to get used to British terms (like jumper for sweater) but that was pretty easy to overcome.

I was a little surprised that after 10 years that Abi and Gideon still loved each other so much that it didn't take a lot to overcome why they were separated. The actions of others kept them apart but that didn't seem to be much of a barrier to
Whispering Stories
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was gifted a free copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review.

The book jumps between two periods of time, from 2005 to flashbacks of 1994/5 when both Abi and Gideon were teenagers.

We starts off in 2005 at the funeral of Abigail Thomson’s (Abi) estranged mother. Over the course of the first few chapters, Abi’s hatred towards her newly deceased mother becomes apparent, the mother that she hadn’t seen her in many years, prior to her death. You travel with Abi as she returns to the family
Lizzy Baldwin
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
We begin the tale at the funeral of Abigail Thomson’s estranged mother who Abi has not seen let alone spoken to in ten years. Meeting her father again, feelings begin to unravel and when stashes of undelivered letters addressed to Abi are found in the attic, our story really begins. The letters are from Abi’s teenage first love, Gideon Hawk who just so happens to be the frontman of the band Night Hawk, but in an attempt to ditch the limelight after a concert held in New York he sensationally ...more
Gemma Weir
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Check out more of my reviews on my blog http://gemmareadstoomuch.co.uk

Storm Rising is the first book I have read by this author, I was gifted a copy of this book to read for Gemma Reads Too Much.

Hmmmmm

For some reason I’m finding this book quite difficult to review.

This book is multi POV and flashes backwards and forwards between the early 90’s and 2005.

The multi POV is at times a little disconcerting, Lots of characters ‘voices’ were heard but mostly they were snippets at a time and left me
Adele
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This is the first book I’ve read by Rachael and I love discovering new authors and new publishers. Its really good to open your eyes and your mind to new talent.

This was such an addictive read. A YA inspired story, the first in The NightHawk series, it was full of angst, hurt, deceit, betrayal, emotion, love and heartbreak. It had so many twists and turns and I can’t wait to dive into the next instalment.

We open the story with 26 year old Abi attending her mother’s funeral. Abi hasn’t seen her
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Imagine spending the last ten years thinking that the love of your life had decided he no longer wanted you and moved on? No answers, no explanation, just done. Rachael Richey’s first novel in the NightHawk series, Storm Rising, shares the story of two young people who fell in love, but then everything fell apart. Abi has recently returned home for the first time in many years for her mother’s funeral – the mother that treated her so terrible. Gideon is the front man in a famous rock band, but ...more
Joanne
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Storm Rising is the first in the Nighthawk series (the second, Rhythm of Deceit, was published at the end of July). NightHawk is the name of the band fronted by Gideon Hawk. At the beginning of the story, he has just unexpectedly and dramatically walked out on his band and come home to England. At the same time, we meet Abigail who has returned home for her mother's funeral, having never seen her parents for ten years. She had sworn never to talk to her mother again and it is clear that her ...more
Michelle Ryles
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-read
I didn't really know what to expect when I picked up this book, I certainly didn't expect to have it glued to my hand until I finished it. It is such an amazing book that completely hooked me from start to finish, leaving me eager to pick up the next book in The NightHawk Series.

The book starts with Abi's mother's funeral and it's clear that there is no love lost between Abi and her parents. 'What on earth could have happened?', I thought - as I was snagged on the first hook. By the end of
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Storm Rising is a book that will appeal to young adults and adults alike.

I have to say I wasn't to sure after reading the description whether it would be my kind of book but I am so glad I decided to give it a go as I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The story flicks between 2005 which is the present time and ten years earlier in the past. The story mainly focuses on Abi (Abigail) and to certain events in her past that have led her to where she is in the present.

I really liked Abi as due to her
A Wondrous Bookshelf
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, arc
The book starts with Abigail Thomson (Abi) attending the funeral of her mother, and from then on you get a sense that something really bad happened in Abi’s life to explain her troubled relationship with her father and her estranged mother. While at her parents’ house, Abi makes a discovery that will lead to a series of life-events and twists changing the course of Abi’s life forever.

Gideon Hawk is this 29-year-old sexy rock star who is just about done with the fame and limelight of his rock
Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)
I wan't quite sure if I was going to like Storm Rising. Reading the book jacket, I didn't think it would be my cup of tea but i'm very glad I gave this book a crack.

The story is set in the mid-late 90's when I was exactly the same age as Abi, the main character. Memories came back of my own grunge phase, parties and teenage angst. Luckily I didn't have a mother like Abi's! I won't give away spoilers here, but the story flashes between a teenage Abi and ten years later when Abi returns to her
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I ended up really liking this book after a slightly slow start.
The story was off and on for me in the beginning, and was a little boring in spots, but... halfway through it took a definite turn for the better! The last half totally makes up for the slow beginning.
It got very exciting and much more on-the-edge-of-your-seat-ish.

I also wasn't sure how I felt about the two main characters in the beginning -but I ended up really liking them both! It just took a little bit of time to get to know them.
Cristel Orrand
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The blurb for Rachael Richey’s “Storm Rising” reads, “frontman of the grunge rock band NightHawk…” SOLD! I still love anything grunge, but that’s not a requirement.

When Abigail returns home for her estranged mother’s funeral, she finds a pile of secrets in her childhood home. But rather than simply follow a breadcrumb trail towards the past, the past also collides into her, in the lithe form of that grunge frontman, but also in the form of something far more special.

What unfolds is several love
Zoe
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a bittersweet, heartwarming novel that was a delight to read.

This is not just your typical rock star romance. This novel showcases the intricacies of familial relationships, the heartbreak caused by lost love, and the life-changing consequences of lies and deception.

The writing is well done. The characters are empathetic, complex and interesting. And the plot is told from differing perspectives, in a past/present style, that gives depth, understanding, and a smooth flow to the storyline.
Nancy
Not my usual read. Did make me cry a little. No sex, all behind closed doors. There were things that made me go "what the hell?" and I did find it somewhat predictable but in a good way. I wanted the best for them and their little family.
Rachael Richey
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Annette
Angel
Dec 15, 2017
Stephanie
Jul 02, 2019
I live in Cornwall with my husband and son and I write Women's Fiction and Romantic Comedy. I love walking, horses, Earl Grey tea, chocolate, pizza and Pinot Grigio. And I love reading.