Start by marking “Winter Street” as Want to Read:
Winter Street

Winter Street

(Winter #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  35,153 ratings  ·  3,145 reviews
In bestseller Elin Hilderbrand's first Christmas novel, a family gathers on Nantucket for a holiday filled with surprises.

Kelley Quinn is the owner of Nantucket's Winter Street Inn and the proud father of four, all of them grown and living in varying states of disarray. Patrick, the eldest, is a hedge fund manager with a guilty conscience. Kevin, a bartender, is secretly s
Published October 13th 2015 by Back Bay Books (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Street, please sign up.
Lorraine Patty is not the American version of the name Patrick. Normally, the nickname in the U.S. would be Pat (Pat could be male or female.) In the version I…morePatty is not the American version of the name Patrick. Normally, the nickname in the U.S. would be Pat (Pat could be male or female.) In the version I read, he was sometimes called Paddy, and I always had to stop and think who "Paddy" was.
Patty/Patti would be a female nickname for Patricia. Glad I didn't read the version where he is Patty - it was confusing enough remembering that Kelley was a man.(less)
Pat I just finished the audio of Winter Street, which is the first. I requested the second, on audio from my library and it is Winter Stroll. There is a t…moreI just finished the audio of Winter Street, which is the first. I requested the second, on audio from my library and it is Winter Stroll. There is a third too.(less)

·  35,153 ratings  ·  3,145 reviews

Start your review of Winter Street
Ellengar
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was there an ending and I missed it??
Oh, the family drama is high in this one! It's a hot mess and I'm over here like...

Needless to say, I found this first installment of Elin Hilderbrand's Winter series to be flat out entertaining, but I can't dismiss the palpable emotion that popped up unexpectedly. Lots of characters with both individual and connected crises, but I could handle it...and I'm ready for more! On to the next!

My favorite quote:
"Ten more soldiers killed in Afghanistan. Margaret is breathless with horror, followed by s
Christine

It is starting to feel like winter outside; the wind is blowing hard, the skies are gray, and the weather guy is predicting snow. Furthermore, I have just finished reading several very intense thrillers. So what could be better at this point than a fluffy Christmas book? I hit the library and came home with Winter Street, which proved to be just what I needed.

Winter Street is my first experience with an Elin Hilderbrand book. Other reviewers state this isn’t her best work. Though it doe
☕️Kimberly
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kelley Quinn owns a local B&B with his second wife Mitzi and is looking forward to the holiday, despite concerns about the B&B’s finances. Kelley’s first clue that this Christmas will be different begins when he walks in on his wife kissing Santa Claus. The two have one child, a son Bart, who is stationed in Afghanistan. His oldest son Patrick a highly successful broker and happily married father of three is in trouble. His daughter, Ava a local schoolteacher is in a stalled relationship and not ...more
Brandice
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I breezed through Winter Street, a fairly short book centered around The Quinn Family, who owns and operates The Winter Street Inn in Nantucket. The story takes place during the week of Christmas.

Family dramas are right up my alley, and Winter Street was no exception. Each member of the family is dealing with their own struggles, but they come together to celebrate Christmas back home at the inn. There were definitely a handful of obvious and predictable moments in the story, but I still really
Dana
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like to occasionally read with the seasons the way I seem to plan my meals with seasonal foods in mind, so when I saw a few GR friends had rated this book fairly high, I thought it sounded good and would give it a try for the holidays.
Years ago I might have found this to be something I would enjoy, but the older I get, the less this genre appeals to me. Overall, it was a light so-so read...and it ended with a cliff-hanger, making me want to at least skim the next book to see what happened.
Kat
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, library-4
I LOVED this book. Elin Hilderbrand has woven together a juicy cast of characters with lots of drama for this Christmas-themed family treat. The Quinn family is your typical American family in many ways. Kelly and his first wife Margaret are divorced. They have three grown children, Kevin, Patrick and Ava. Kelly has one grown son with his second wife, Mitzi (who can't help but draw the comparison of ditzy when in the opening pages of the book, she announces she's leaving her husband for their be ...more
Melissa
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually big on Christmas stories, but I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. I hope there's more to come for the Quinn family. There were too many things left unanswered at the end.
Myrna
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Great read! It was easy to get involved with the characters and their lives. The ending leaves you ready to read the next book in the series. There’s something about Hildebrand's books that I like!
Erin
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, series
What better way to cool off from the humidity than reading a book set at Christmas? I have really enjoyed Elin Hilderbrand books in the past and have long been curious to try her Winter series. Winter Street introduces readers to the Quinn family. This is the kind of family that puts the FUN back in dysfunctional. At a mere 200 + pages, patriarch Kelley, his first wife, Margaret, and their children Patrick, Kevin, and Ava take turns telling readers about their wacky Christmas when youngest bro ...more
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I loved this book and completely adored all the characters... I'm super excited that I have all 4 books at the bookstore, because I will be reading these back to back.
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
What a great book! Right before the holidays, this was what I needed. I read a lot of relatable topics, and just fell in love with the Quinn family! I can't wait to read the rest in this series! Loved it!
✨Susan✨
Not my cup of Christmas tea. I would prefer not to read about war and infidelity this time of year.
Kristy
Kelley Quinn, owner of the Nantucket's Winter Street Inn, is looking forward to Christmas--a time full of traditions at his Inn. But then he walks in on his second wife, Mitzi, kissing Santa Claus. Or at least George, the burly man who plays Santa each year at the Inn. Suddenly, Kelley's life is as upended as that of his children's. His three eldest children with his first wife--Patrick, Kevin, and Ava--are each embroiled in turmoil and dramas of their own. And Bart, his spoiled son with Mitzi, ...more
Kate
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Oh Elin Hilderbrand. You are my crack. Your books are silly and predictable, but I look forward to them. I listen to them in my car as I drive to the gym, to work. For a week, they are enjoyable. That said, I can never give you five stars because, while I enjoy them, I can see what's going to happen from a mile away.
Celia
I have read other books by Elin Hilderbrand. All take place on Nantucket Island. All take place in the summer. All are about families.

This is my first Hilderbrand that takes place in the winter and at Christmas too.

The Quinn family is a blended family. Kelley is the owner of the Winter Street Inn and he and his famous wife Margaret Quinn had three children: Patrick, Ava and Kevin, all adults. Kelley and his second wife, Mitzi (short for Margaret), have one child, Bart, who has just deployed to I
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Winter Street Inn, on the island of Nantucket, is famous for its holiday party. Kelley Quinn and his wife, Mitzi, run the inn and normally Kelley, along with all the Nantucket residents, look forward to the holiday party, but not this year. Kelley has found his wife in a compromising position with George, who plays Santa at the annual holiday party. Kelley finds out that Mitzi has been having an affair with George for years. To complicate matters further, she tells Kelley that their marriage is ...more
Megan
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m really enjoying this Christmas Series 🎄!!!
2/1 - This book isn't giving me the same kind of feeling as any of the previous Christmas books I've read over the past month. There is drama galore, and it's not ridiculous drama that is so dramatic it's funny, it's depressing drama that would be killing my Christmas spirit if it was still before Christmas. Cheating spouses, the success of Christmas dinner in doubt, and the tragic loss of a family member on Christmas day all add up to a book that definitely does not resemble any happy Christmas ...more
Alissa Patrick
Certain parts were great, certain parts were way cheesy, even moreso than what's on the Hallmark Channel. And that ending??? Wahhhhhhhhh!

But I love kooky families, esp when it comes wrapped up in a neat little Christmas bow (this series is set at an inn during Christmastime), so I shall keep going with this. I need to know how everyone fares!
Susan Crowe
What a terrific ending!!!!
I laughed throughout this book.
Very good and highly recommended.
Tracey
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly struggled with most of the characters until about 3/4 of the way through. That ending though, definitely brought it up to 4 stars.
Eeva
Jan 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 0 stars
Also, DNF at 60 pages.

OMG this was the most dull book I've read in a long tim. Flat, boring, annoying characters, ridic plot, horrible writing.
I just can't.
Asheley
December 26, 2018: I cannot possibly love this book any more. I read this every year. The Quinn Family feels like they’re my own family or at the very least, my friends. I feel like I know the Inn like the back of my hand. That ending gets me every time. So abrupt. It is a MUST for me to have the next book on hand or easily accessible so I can keep moving with the second part of the story.
___

November 8, 2016: I love this story of the dysfunctional Quinn family, owners of the Winter Street Inn. A
Tracy
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm hoping that there is a sequel in the works. I would like to see how everything works out for all the characters.
Cammie
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Winter Street Inn is descending into chaos this Christmas season, and Kelley Quinn may not be able to save the bed and breakfast he runs with his second wife or the splintering family that has gathered on Nantucket for Christmas. For starters, he discovered his wife Mitzi kissing Santa. His oldest son Patrick is likely going to jail, his middle son Kevin is in a secret relationship, his daughter Ava is going back and forth between boyfriends, and his youngest son Bart (Mitzi's only child) ha ...more
Dana (pagestoreadfl)

3.5⭐️— Winter Street by Elin Hilderbrand

During this holiday season, I have seen numerous pictures of this series! Finally snagging one for $1.99 and it being the first in the series I jumped right in.

Let me start by saying I love family drama books and the Quinns are not short of it! Yes this book could be considered “fluff” or “chick lit” but I don’t care. I knew what I was getting in to and nothing about this book was misleading. I will be scouring to find books 2-4!

Jean
Dec 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction

There once was an inn on Nantucket…It’s Christmas at the Winter Street Inn, and the owner, Kelley Quinn, is about to have an unforgettable Christmas. He is the father of four adult children and is looking forward to having the family together (except son Bart, who recently joined the Marines and is in Afghanistan). Then he walks in on Mitzi, his second wife, kissing Santa Claus, and suddenly, Kelley’s Christmas hopes go from ho, ho, ho to bah, humbug.

Each chapter features a different family memb
Basic B's Guide
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed getting to know the Quinn family in this first book of the Winter Street series. It met all my expectations of a family holiday novel. It would also make for a great Hallmark movie series.

If you're looking for something light and seasonal then I suggest this book. The ending leaves you hanging so you just have to read the next book. Good thing I'm prepared and have the next three books waiting for me. I finished this first book in one sitting so it's definitely a quick read.
Laura • lauralovestoread
3.5 Stars!! I really enjoyed reading Winter Street just in time for the holidays! The Quinn family was like settling in with a hot cup of coffee and a warm blanket. Cozy, comfortable, and enjoyable.

A divorced couple who share 3 grown children, a surprise affair, pregnancy and a sham all in one book. Looking forward to the next book in this series.
Holidazed Book Club : Winter Street Book Date 6 6 Dec 21, 2019 04:24PM
Goodreads Librari...: Format incorrect? 6 34 Dec 22, 2016 08:29AM
Play Book Tag: Winter Street - Elin Hilderbrand 1 star 5 19 Dec 15, 2016 11:35AM
Christmas story 4 47 Jan 29, 2015 04:51AM

• Sunset Beach
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Hello, Summer
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • One Day in December
  • The Lies That Bind
  • Dear Edward
  • Feels Like Falling
Elin Hilderbrand lives on Nantucket with her husband and their three young children. She grew up in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, and traveled extensively before settling on Nantucket, which has been the setting for her five previous novels. Hilderbrand is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the graduate fiction workshop at the University of Iowa.

Facebook.com/ElinHilderbrand

Pinterest.com/Elin

Winter (4 books)
  • Winter Stroll (Winter #2)
  • Winter Storms (Winter, #3)
  • Winter Solstice (Winter #4)