Start by marking “City of Thirst (Map to Everywhere, #2)” as Want to Read:
City of Thirst (Map to Everywhere, #2)

City of Thirst (The Map to Everywhere #2)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  399 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Carrie Ryan and John Parke Davis transport readers back to the boundless world of the Pirate Stream in this engaging and exhilarating sequel to the highly acclaimed The Map to Everywhere that is equal parts adventure, humor, and heart!

When the magical waters of the Pirate Stream begin flooding Marrill's world, the only way to stop the dest
Published October 13th 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published September 8th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about City of Thirst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Thirst

Carrie
Jul 08, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
I'm not here to leave a review (obviously I'm a bit biased since I wrote this book - lol)! I just wanted to use this space to give you some updates and say a huge thanks for continuing the journey along the Pirate Stream with JP and me. We've had an unbelievably amazing time writing this series and have been overjoyed at the responses we've received. Thank you for adding this book to your shelves, for reading it and reviewing and discussing and just being all around passionate about books!

And if
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

When I read The Map to Everywhere last year, I fell in love. I am the kid who loves adventures. I grew up reading about kids who go on adventures and I love being an adult who reads about kids going on adventures. The follow-up to The Map to Everywhere however, was not about an adventure. Did I still enjoy reading it? Yes. Did I wish it were an adventures. Yes. Would I change the book if I could? I honestly don’t know.

I think this instalm
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This second installment of the Map to Everywhere series did not disappoint! This one had all of the fun and excitement of the first book with even more unique magical worlds. My kids and I especially loved the wall city that was constantly sinking and being rebuilt from the top, and I was impressed with the many themes that were explored with this city (the social hierarchy of this world was based on who lived closest
Leah
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really hope we get some answers in the next book. That was my only complaint about this book. I still like the main characters and the Pirate Stream. The Naysayer is still funny, but I was disappointed that he wasn't in this book more.
IlariaAlways
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ad ogni capitolo, mi innamoro sempre di più di questa saga. Amo Fin, amo Marrill e amo tutti gli altri. Anche Remy, che all'inizio sopportavo poco, verso la fine non mi è dispiaciuta. Amo come le vicende siano assurde ed ambientate in posti ancora più assurdi. E niente, non posso che consigliarvelo.
WyrmbergMalcolm
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the first book, we travelled to a few interesting and imaginative places and I left that book looking forward to visiting more places in this one. With that expectancy, I was a little disappointed that we only visited a couple. However, they were indeed interesting and imaginative with the titular city being the setting for most of the story.
There was a lot of emphasis on want and need that drove many plot points and threats, which made for a different type of 'engine' running the story. Unli
Mary Beth
I just love this series. Marrill heads back into the Pirate Stream and this time Remy is in tow. Tattoos that strangle, levator snails named Elle and a Sand King that burns are just some of the extraordinary things that pop up in this sequel to the Map to Everywhere. Marrill and Fin have to be some of my all time favorite characters and you can't help but cheer for them. In this story, some tough decisions must be made all while trying to escape the deadly Iron Tide. Honestly, I can't wait to re ...more
Heather
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was a little skeptical that this book would not be as amazing as the first one; boy, was I wrong! This book truly lives up to the first one.

The characters are just as wonderful and unforgettable.
I was worried about having Remy along, since the idea of a controlling babysitter on board the Kraken sounded just as fun as having Eustace Scrubb on the Dawn Treader. But, she was actually pretty reliable and broke away from the stereotypes I thought she would fulfill. Plus, she is the only one (be
Elevetha
2.5 stars.

While I still enjoyed this second book of a proposed 5 book series, I still find myself reaffirmed in my original opinion that 5 books is too many for this series, the way it's being written. It's extremely obvious, not to mention frustrating, that these books are all 400+ pages and being strung out simply to accomplish there being 5 books.

The cast of characters continues to be great, though I need more Coll and Remy and I find myself once again bemoaning the lack of pirats. If you hav
Pop Bop
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Character Driven Middle Grade Adventure Tale

Sure, lots of action/adventure stuff happens here, although not as much as in the first book. We explore and battle and lurk and outwit and all of that.

But, the aspect of this book I find most appealing, and somewhat uncommon and unexpected, turns on the development of the characters, the issues they address, and the subtle undercurrent of fantastical melancholy. Our two main heroes, Marrill and Fin, continue to grow and develop. Numerous secondary c
Denae Christine
Reader thoughts: Parts of this book I really liked, but I kept getting distracted and finding myself not listening. So, it wasn't holding my attention.

I like the new ideas, like having forgetful people who are called fades. I liked that the captain has a tattoo noose on his neck that tries to choke him sometimes. I liked that a pirate stream could connect all worlds. I liked the idea of an iron bad ship chasing the good guys into a whirlpool and coming out years before them. I liked the floating
Prabhjot K
This started out few months after where the first one ended. Marrill is in her own world and she receives a message that she's needed back on the Pirate Stream. And Fin is still aboard The Kraken with everyone always forgetting him. But when Marrill and Fin reunite, we all know it's gonna be more adventures and a lot of action.

We are introduced with few new characters of which I really liked Remy who babysits Marrill in Arizona and when Marrill comes back to the Pirate Stream, Remy follows her
Silvia Sim
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 03-teen, 3-stars
La Città Sospesa è il seguito del libro La Mappa dei Desideri, del quale ha molti richiami. Anche qui le vicende e i punti di vista dei due protagonisti sono alternati fra i capitoli, ma la narrazione è abbastanza scorrevole e piacevole.
In questo secondo racconto vengono affrontati soprattutto i temi del desiderio e della fiducia, dato che l’amicizia tra i due protagonisti inizia a sperimentare alti e bassi.

Quasi subito si ritrovano i vecchi personaggi e man mano se ne incontrano di nuovi, la cu
Allie Outhouse
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
*SPOILER ALERT*

The Monerva setting was difficult to mentally grasp: a city stuck out of time where continuity doesn't exist and the city is constantly sinking until enough Pirate Stream is sucked into the gears to permit a single unstoppable wish.

It was extremely challenging to comprehend what was going on even while the "surprise" twists were amusing and predictable.

I enjoyed the deeper character development and watching the cast interact. My heart broke for Finn as Marell finally, and somew
Anne Beardsley
Interesting, kooky...

But somehow not entirely hooking. I loved the central ...uh 'boss'...of the book, and thought that part was well done. The baby sitter was fun. Actually, a lot of things were fun.

Somehow I felt like we were all so busy exploring this creative, interesting world with these creative, colorful characters and these creative, exciting plot hooks that we had no time to experience an actual story, and it all sort of washed over me. It's like watching a movie where the camera never
Amanda
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I know that if the Pirate Stream touches our world then something has gone terribly wrong--so it is horribly selfish of me--yet I want to visit this world! (As long as nothing happens to our world, of course, and my family stays copacetic, natch.) Someone bring me my cake so I can have it and eat it too!

This series just gets better and better (or in Madam's words "more better and more better"), and I'm currently devouring the third book. The complexities of the characters, what drives them, lite
Kevin
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Second book in the series picked up where the last left off and again I have mixed feelings. Creative and humorous but just never quite grabbed me. Useful for long car trips where I need something entertaining but that doesn't require too much concentration but it is not something I can't wait to listen to.
Dia
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book instead of listening to it like I did the first book. It was a good follow up. I got a little tired about the friendship part of the story. (mild spoiler.......) I felt that Merrill's explanation as to why she forgot him was a little thin. Overall I give this 3.5 stars. I feel like it was a fun middle school books. Still no romance just good friends.
Giuseppe
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il mondo della Corrente Pirata è estremamente affascinante: ogni cosa è possibile, ogni cosa sfida qualunque legge razionale.
In questa nuova avventura Marrill e Fin dovranno affrontare nuove sfide, dove incontreranno nuovamente vecchie conoscenze...
Sono curioso sul seguito della serie!
Christine Clark
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun book

Good clean fun for any age. The fun woods and creatures like Edge chronicles meets the magic of the Chronicles of Narnia.
Elise Rose
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a great continuation of the series! I loved it just as much as the first book. :)
Susan
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: slmta
Not as good as the first one.
Christine
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
*vague screaming*
Wysteria Campion
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This one was not as good at the first one, though enjoyable.
Logan Swain
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book, just as good as its predecessor (the Map to Everywhere). Didn't have quite the same charm as the first book, but still was a very enjoyable read.
Shiv
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
Dnf.

I give up.

This book was incredibly boring, I barely remember what even happened.
Pamela
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Zander (4th grade) loves this series!
Sophie Baker
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first book but it was better than the 2 that came after it
Anna Mcallister
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened to as an audiobook with the boys, they enjoyed it and said they would listen to it again.
Katrina Patton
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. The second book is as good as the first. The characters are lovely and for a middle grade fiction, it has surprising emotional weight. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
  • The Inquisitor's Mark (Eighth Day, #2)
  • Taming the Forest King
  • The Shadow World (The Eidolon Chronicles)
  • The Traitor King
  • The 8th Continent (The 8th Continent, #1)
  • The Doublecross: And Other Skills I Learned as a Superspy
  • Now You See Him...
  • Crown of Three (Crown of Three #1)
  • Suitcase of Stars (Enchanted Emporium, #1; La Bottega Battibaleno, #1)
  • Abby Carnelia's One & Only Magical Power
  • A Clatter of Jars
  • Bite-Sized Magic (The Bliss Bakery, #3)
  • The Crimson Skew (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #3)
  • The Pillars of Ponderay (The Balance Keepers, #2)
  • The Missing (Troubletwisters, #4)
  • The Bridge
  • Story Thieves (Story Thieves, #1)
  • The Doll People Set Sail (Doll People, #4)
Carrie Ryan is the New York Times bestselling author of a lot of books. She use to be a lawyer. Happily, she is not anymore. You can keep it that way by reading her books:

If you like zombies, try the Forest of Hands and Teeth series.

If you like clever, fun adventure fantasy for 8-12 year olds, definitely read the Map To Everywhere series (co-written with her husband, John Parke Davis).

If you lik
More about Carrie Ryan

The Map to Everywhere (4 books)
  • The Map to Everywhere (Map to Everywhere, #1)
  • Shadows of the Lost Sun (Map to Everywhere, #3)
  • Iron Tide Rising (Map to Everywhere, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)