Start by marking “Killing Titan (War Dogs, #2)” as Want to Read:
Killing Titan (War Dogs, #2)

Killing Titan

(War Dogs #2)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  750 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
A new planet. A new battle. Same war.
After barely surviving his last tour on Mars, Master Sergeant Michael Venn finds himself back on earth in enforced isolation. Through a dangerous series of operations he returns to Mars to further his investigation into the Drifters--ancient artifacts suddenly reawakened on the red planet.
But another front in the war leads his team to
Published October 6th 2015 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Killing Titan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Titan

Trish
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second volume in the War Dogs series. We're still following Michael Venn (Vinnie) after his return from Mars. When last we saw him, he had been "interviewed" by a woman and then had to leave abruptly. Here, he is in a government / Guru facility, under quarantine, and getting antsy. There seems to be some kind of contamination they are suspecting (in him as much as his comrades they managed to also apprehend).
When the orders are given to execute him, he manages to escape and learns th
Bradley
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't think I'll ever call this the best Space Opera mil-SF I've ever read, but it DOES have its moments. The fighting is quite a treat, in fact, as was the cool alien tech, the tea, the crystals, and all the reasons and purposes around them.

On the surface, it may appear very familiar to the SF trope world, but Bear digs deeper and serves up some really great and classy, mind-trip stuff. Oh, my uploadable universe. :) Taking the data stores of Eon and ramping it up big time.

On the other hand,
Tim Hicks
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Three stars? Four? Can't decide.
There's a lot of futzing around on Mars as Bear sets the scene. I suppose it's necessary so Bear can (view spoiler). FInally they're on their way to Titan, and we know that (view spoiler).

Others have tackled what it might be like to move around on Titan, and this is similar. Perhaps Bear relies a littl
Papaphilly
Part 2 of 3 and you need to read part 1 to understand Killing Titan. It is a nice job and well written, but it is certainly not a stand alone. Once again Greg Bear writes a deceptively complex novel within a simplistic style of prose and if you are either a Greg Bear fan or military science fiction fan, you will enjoy the work. Greg Bear has captured both the frustration and resignation of active troops on a mission they do not understand or even explained to them. I enjoyed Killing Titan and wi ...more
Mitchell
A lot of our pov character talking at us the reader. A lot less plot in this one than in book one. And the last third of the book just felt completely incoherent. Finishing this book was a slog. The ideas were still good but they were well hidden. Definitely didn't feel worth reading.
James Cox
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great sci fi action. I enjoyed this book.
Fredrick Danysh
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Killing Titan is much more lucid than its predecessor, War Dogs. Sky-rine Master Sergeant Venn is rescued from the institution that is holding him and returned to Mars where the multi-species war continues. Venn's biggest struggle is to remain alive and sane.
Dennis Hearon
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scif-fi
A solid second entry in the War Dogs trilogy. This one shifted from a Starship Trooper arc to more of a galactic space opera with overtones of Ridley Scott's Prometheus but with some heavy, hard science descriptions of Mars and the Jovian Moons. Nevertheless, it never loses its feel of a story of a space marine "grunt's" perspective of combat. A treat for Greg Bear fans and lovers of "hard" science fiction.
Erik
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Good read in this second book of the trilogy but found some of the descriptions to be hard to grasp. I'm used to Bears style of prose but it made the reading a chore at points. Still optimistic that the finale will be good. Solid sci-if.
reherrma
Auch im zweiten Band seiner "War-Dogs-Trilogie" bekommt Bear m.E. die Qualität seiner früheren Romane nicht hin, mit der er bei mir immer hoch im Kurs stand.
Der Stil dieser Trilogie ist sehr ungewöhnlich und schwer zu entziffern, da hilft es auch nicht, wenn Andreas Brandhorst als Übersetzer versucht, dem Orginalstil in der deutschen Übersetzung gerecht zu werden, die ganze Sache wirkt für mich sehr unrund.
Im ersten Band der Trilogie hat Greg Bear nicht immer überzeugend versucht, den Leser mögl
DaniLanglie
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I definitely appreciate the escalation. The first book in this trilogy, looking back, has a lot of setup and not a great deal of payoff. Here, we get tons of payoff, and when the novel ends, you're left surprised and worried and excited for what comes next.

I will say, though, that this book doesn't read very "sci-fi" to me. I know that sounds weird, but it's playing with so many generic (as in typical of the genre) tropes, without feeling like a hard science fiction novel like I'm used to when I
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
War is confusion. Battles are chaos. The grunt doesn't know the where or why, he only does and dies. At least this grunt is important, and gets glimpses of something important about the story of his world and why they are fighting the unknowable Antags. But he is still pulled without choice, back to Mars and on to Titan, following orders, following the directions of his superiors. I think Greg Bear captures well what it means to be a grunt, what it means to be a soldier, a "Skyrine." Marines are ...more
Lee Yun
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Took some time to get back into this story line as I last read War Dogs in 2014 or 2015.

Greg Bear excels at world and story building and I like how the story is told from Master Sergeant Vin's point of view. Coherent - incoherent, dreamlike - realistic; Bear excels at switching between styles seemingly at random. While it might take a while for unfamiliar readers to get used to it, or put them off entirely, this style definitely does an excellent job at creating the mysterious environment surrou
Brent
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
While I enjoyed this-- Bear once again shows his adept ability to describe wildly non-earthlike environs and their likely impacts on human beings-- I was a bit disappointed: this is the middle act of a three act play. As a result, while it moves the narrative along, it ultimately fails to satisfy the questions raised in the first novel (novella?).

I came away feeling as though, at the very least, this and the subsequent "Take Back the Sky" would have been better served collected into a single nov
David
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This book has a bad case of "middle-chapter-itis." The first book worked as a stand alone story, but this really doesn't, as there is no ending at all: the story simply stops, to be picked up and given an actual conclusion in the third volume.

It's Bear, so he's going to be interesting, but this doesn't feel quite as taut as War Dogs did. Also, it gets a bit bogged down in developments that are necessary for the plot to move forward but don't make a whole lot of sense from the characters' point o
Chris Gillies
Really loved the first book, some great ideas and some great enigmas ready for a big reveal somewhere down the line. This book teases with those enigmas, but ultimately the plot seems to lose its way on the way to Titan. The almost casual way in which some of the supporting cast die serves to divorce you from feeling any connection with those that remain. I ploughed straight from this into the 3rd book and found that even more disappointing, but more on that in a later review.
Rick
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
In my review of the first book in the War Dogs trilogy I said I'd give the next two book 3 stars, but since posting that I've had second thoughts. Killing Titan is the 2nd in the series and it is just so different than the first book -- hard to follow, characters not nearly as well developed - just disappointing.
Zozo
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was so bad. The whole book felt like the anteroom for something big, but when you finally arrive at the main attraction, the book is over. And the main attraction, the “big twist” was a joke. It was so unoriginal, I cannot begin to compare.
The atmosphere of the book is grim and pessimistic and I was fed up with it right from the beginning.
Mike
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Killing Titan is the middle book in Bear's War Dogs trilogy. I read the first books 6 months ago and the gap did not help picking up the thread of the story. I just seemed that it jumped in where the last one left off and I never really picked it up again. As I have the 3rd book I will read it, but try not to leave such a gap between books.
Ben Eiynk
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The groundwork laid in 'War Dogs' gets picked up and you're whisked off on a whirlwind of discovery. It's fantastic the way Bear leads his characters down this path, every step another shock to their sanity and perception of reality as they keep working to achieve their mission goals (which become more and more unclear every day).
Kerry
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Published 2015. Second in the "War Dog" series. A bit draggier than the first. Still has some interesting moments and suggestions for the third book which I will now need to read to see how this all comes out.
Shawn Sorichetti
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I did not like this book as much as the first.
Oliver
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, military
The story was interesting but this particular book is bloated with exposition.
Josiah John
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Plenty of actual science to back up the fiction and keep it believable.
Don
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better than the 1st volume as it fills in questionable subplots to a certain degree.
Michael David Cobb
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story.
Onno Bruins
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yes, the plot thickens. Overall plots become visible, but it’s clearly meant to be continued.
Papal Bull
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Slightly worse than the original.
Irene Hollimon
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sci-fi
  • War Factory (Transformation #2)
  • Ultima
  • Thunderbird
  • Eater
  • Legion (Lazarus War, #2)
  • Old Venus
  • The Architect of Aeons
  • Degrees of Freedom (Samuil Petrovitch, #3)
  • Death Wave (Star Quest Trilogy #2)
  • Degranon: A Science Fiction Adventure
  • Redzone (Mutant Files #2)
  • A Trace of Memory
  • Pathfinder / Ruins / Visitors (Pathfinder Trilogy #1-3)
  • A Storm Upon Ulster
  • Peripheral People (Ylendrian Empire, #4)
  • Technogenesis
  • Moon in the Mirror (Tess Noncoire #2)
  • Bite
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

War Dogs (3 books)
  • War Dogs (War Dogs, #1)
  • Take Back the Sky (War Dogs, #3)