Start by marking “The Other End of the Corridor” as Want to Read:
The Other End of the Corridor

The Other End of the Corridor

Leela has nothing extraordinary about her except the dream to become famous. Her desires take wings when she gets married to a handsome boy from a respectable family in Delhi. But her dreams are shattered even before they have a chance to take flight.
She
Published January 2015 by Mahaveer Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Other End of the Corridor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other End of the Corridor

Start your review of The Other End of the Corridor
Aditi
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews, india
“I am living in hell from one day to the next. But there is nothing I can do to escape. I don't know where I would go if I did. I feel utterly powerless, and that feeling is my prison. I entered of my own free will, I locked the door, and I threw away the key.”
----Haruki Murakami

Sujata Rajpal, an Indian author, pens an unexceptionally heart-touching and gripping story called, The Other End of the Corridor that reflects light upon the effects of marital violence in an Indian society. It is th
Privy Trifles
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Every time she faces a storm, she learns how to dance with it. Needless to say she is the strongest characters I have come across in my recent reads. She is very nicely defined in a manner that she will stay on the readers mind for long. And the beauty is she is depicted as someone who could be anyone – you, me or that girl next door, and that is where her charm lies.

This book doesn’t hold anything that you wouldn’t have heard or read till now and yet is the one that is will make you sit up and
Jairam Mohan
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Detailed review uploaded at http://thetalespensieve.com/2015/06/b... ...more
Shree
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
A story set against the backdrop of a typical Indian household where the woman is expected to “obey” the man of the house – should make an interesting reading. This story was of course interesting enough albeit minor clinches which sort of reduced the levels of enthusiasm that I would normally have while reading such a book.

The protagonist, Leela, a dark skinned average girl is labeled unlucky thanks to “manglik” planetary alignment in her horoscope. Her parents favor her brother over and she fi
Sakshi Nanda
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Leela’s story contains threads that you too would have heard of, in real life. Leela’s journey towards freedom wrought with equal amounts of conviction and misgiving might sound familiar. You would understand it. The walk in the ‘The Other End of the Corridor’ is a painfully slow one for Leela, but in the end she finds what she was looking for – her distinct voice, spoken aloud and not just to us.
Sujata has dedicated this book to all ‘those Leelas, they are suffering, they are suffocating, they
Nikita Jhanglani
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked up The Other End of The Corridor for two reasons. One, the title that inspires intrigue and two, the cover. The colorful cover with a woman in a bright colored Patiala and colorful jootis gave me the thought that this was the story of woman who rebelled. Although, i had my apprehensions, I wanted to read this one because of its title.
To say that I was in for a complete surprise wouldn’t be true, but yes I had a smile at the end of the story.

The story starts of on a quick pace; the first
Inderpreet Uppal
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Other End Of The Corridor is different yet similar, while reading the book time and again I felt that I have seen this, I have heard this, and I have read this! Yet, I read on because Leela compelled me, she urged me, she cried to me and she ordered me. This book is all about Leela Chopra; a nineteen year old who grows up without even knowing what it is that she is doing. A woman forced into marriage, abused, beaten and suppressed – little better than a slave.

The book had been applauded for
Nehali Lalwani
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Title of the book – The Other End of the Corridor

Author – Sujata Rajpal

Review by – Nehali Lalwani

Blurb of the book:

When your dreams are tainted with lies and deceit, you have no other choice but to walk to the other end of the corridor.

She happens
Dhivya Balaji
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
FIRST IMPRESSION:

The cover image was an immediate attraction. The image of a woman standing with her legs poised for walking across was brilliance in its simplicity. The summary promised a good read, and the moment I opened the epub file given to me, it was quite hard to put down.

REVIEW:

Every woman, no matter what her family backgroud, has hopes and dreams of a fairytale marriage. Irrespective of the age and class differences, each woman has expectations about how her married life would be. But
Amit Yadav
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“The other End of the Corridor” by Sujata Rajpal is an
interesting read.
It shall surely leave you with awe and astonishment.
The story plot is really intriguing and keeps you engaged
till the end as the story moves very fast with lots of twists
and turns.
The author has reflected the plight of women and the
challenges faced by them very aptly.
Domestic Violence, molestation and preference given to
boys as compared to girls is reflected in the story through
the lead character Leela.
The best thing about “T
Ruchi Singh
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: woman-fiction
The Other End of the Corridor’ raises an issue which is a huge problem in the society; one we keep hearing in hushed tones around us and keep reading through newspapers, TV and movies. The acquiescence to remain in an abusive relationship when a woman is not empowered or, is emotionally attached to their partner, can be witnessed all around.

Leela was branded ‘unlucky’ right from her birth when her astrological chart indicates her to be a ‘manglik’. Worried about her future after various rejectio
Shilpa Garg
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
The Other End of the Corridor is coming of age story of a young girl, Leela who has had it tough right from her birth. She is condemned as an inauspicious child, the one who’d bring misery and doom to those around her. Unloved by her own family, she is married at 19. She dreams of leaving all that behind and thinks of starting a happy and a meaningful life ahead. But reality strikes and she finds herself abused physically and mentally by her depressive and manic husband and control freak mother- ...more
Geeta Nair
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Story-line: Interesting and different from the usual books belonging to the romance genre/ books on societal realties, ‘The Other End of the Corridor’ is not all about chasing one’s dreams. It is also not all about lies and deceit. Instead the author has cleverly woven the life of the hapless girl child forced into marriage at a young age, the crushing of her dreams and the apathy towards her state both at home and outside. There is all that’s anti-girl, anti- woman portrayed here like gender bi ...more
Rakhi Jayashankar
My rating is 3.5
There are three types of book.1- With a unique story line but poorly written. 2- With an ordinary heard about story written with finesse 3- both

The other end of the corridor comes under the second classification. We have read many stories about an ordinary looking girl plunged into an arranged marriage, an abusive relationship, her struggle, rejuvenation, friends, flings etc. But authoress pulled off the ordinary story with an extra ordinary writing style. Every event that happen
A.
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The 1st thing which caught my attention was the title of the book; The Other End of the Corridor. What does it mean? Why is the book named so? It created the curiosity and curiosity killed the cat … So I started reading this book, which highlights the suffering of Leela Chopra.
We are used to reading boy-meets- girl, falls in love, face opposition or any other problems but finally end up living happily ever-after. Or a girl is married young, she faces harassment and torture from in-laws or husb
Veda
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
“I found myself at crossroads in life, and unfortunately, all the roads led to dead ends.”

Leela a carefree nineteen year old gets married to a maniac. Leela, carrying her dreams of becoming a RJ moves to Bangalore city only to realize that her dreams cannot be fulfilled with her jobless lunatic husband. She makes sincere attempts to make her marriage work but all in vain. On knowing the fact that she will never be loved and she will never be a RJ. Leela succumbs to the circumstances; she gets
Shalini | Muffytales
Leela, the protagonist is a simple girl from a middle class family who wants to make it big someday. She dreams of becoming an RJ even when things are not in her favour. She is born a ‘manglik’ and dark which needless to say is considered as a bad omen even by her family. Her family finds a perfect suitor for her at the young age of nineteen, a well-educated handsome young man from an upper middle class family and her desires take wings. However, what life had in store for her was not anywhere b ...more
Nibha
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy
The book is a light and easy read. Written in first person, it seems like the reader is listening the protagonist, Leela, tell her story throughout the book. Broken in short chapters, the book can be easily read in one go. The story follows a girl who is married off young, killing her dreams. The book offers nothing different from what we all know or have already heard of. But the pain of Leela brings the reader back to hear out her story.

There are not many strong characters in the book but the
Vishal
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Book Review: The End of the Corridor by Sujata Rajpal​

Excerpt:

n society, women has been relegated most of the times as lesser human being, restricted as a mute entity that has no voice and if ever is heard, it’s the biggest crime for which she has to atone for. Author Sujata Rajpal in The Other End of the Corridor’ addresses the role and position of women in society, tribulations faced, in search of identity and how she is not only fettered in social roles
 Ashwini Gopalkrishnan
The other end of corridor by Sujata Rajpal is every women story .Right from begin ,a women is tamed by father by his comments like‘Girl should never speak aloud ’or ‘You are marriageable age now, behave yourself ’and then….later on tamed and taunted by her husband if she rightful argues her case with her mother -in -law.So in order protect her family identity and respect , she keeps quiet and accepts their taunts with a smile .But MILs of this country don′t realize that if you insult a woman , w ...more
Bhavya
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-a-copy, indian
The protagonist is a woman; no she is too young and naive to be called a woman. She is a girl all of nineteen years, who having led a life of being an unwanted child, thinks that Fate is giving her a ticket to life in the form of an educated 30 year old husband. Her parents are happy that they could find a husband for their manglik daugther so soon.

From Patiala to Delhi, as Leela moves cities after her marriage, she dreams of leaving her bad days behind and seek bliss in her marital home. Alas,
Neelam Chandra
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was an engrossing novel, quite well written. I picked it up around evening and finished it at 8 p.m. (which speaks a volume of the interest part).
The story revolves around Leela, who is not so sure about what she wants from life, except for her dream of getting famous one day as an RJ. The fact that she is no where near to it makes the novel all the more interesting.
Branded as unlucky due to her Mangli (Oh! God!) and the black colour (Why does colour matter so much?) of her skin by her parent
Sundari Venkatraman
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a MOBI version of this book from the author via The Book Club in return for my honest review. I did not receive any monetary compensation for the same.

I wanted to read this book from the moment my eyes fell on the cover. It’s simply gorgeous. Yeah, I am like that. I so fall for an eye-catching cover. I filled the form with alacrity when the book came up for blog tour via The Book Club, without even checking out the blurb or genre.

When I started reading the book, I couldn’t
Shweta Kesari
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
The exemplar of the story,Leela, poses as the sturdy character throughout the story,being the target of the people's actions.Her story inspires at many points,the curves and the zig-zag in the life she has discovered, and her actions on the reactions,made her stand among many other,many has gone through the same reactions, but her actions made her different , and that's why her story needs to be heard.

Her writing style has the quality of delighting reader's mind,no matter the amount of simplicit
Ruchira Khanna
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Other End of the Corridor by Sujata Rajpal talks about the journey of a woman, Leela in a middle-class society who dared to dream amidst the 'mis-fortune' of being born as a female, having a dark complexion and having a horoscope that spells only doom (Manglik).

This woman went through all the unfair treatment with the hope to see the light at the other end of the tunnel. She endured the beating of her husband, her mother-in-law's (MIL) venomous words, parents alienation and brother's apathy.
Nandhini Chandrasekaran
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full review @ bit.ly/1IYyxqy

Leela is a bored, frustrated, humiliated and childless housewife. She did have romantic dreams about her marital life and an ardent aspiration to become a RJ. However, with time, her dreams and aspirations get diluted by the constant pressures of her suffocating marriage.

At a point when her days move without anything to look forward to, she lets her heart and mind waver in the direction of shallow gratifications until something happens that changes her life forever.
Arti
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
The cover is beautiful and the book seems to have been written keeping in mind many Indian women who go through all this and much more without uttering a single word. The language is simple and the pace is good and the story has been narrated in such a way that it was difficult for me to put the book down. The character of Leela has been developed well but I felt that Vishal was spineless. She is strong facing everything while he is still tied to his Ma’s apron strings.

I loved it when Leela esca
Romila
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
The story is about unfortunate girl forced into marriage while at young age, the devastating her dreams and hopes towards life. There are hints of gender prejudice, marital brutality and blames of society on the rape victim. I loved the share of twists the story has offered. The dilemmas faced by a common woman in day to day life’s situations has been written well by author in very easy read language. This is my first read of author Sujata and I really look forward for her next book which I am s ...more
KARTHIK RAO
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was indeed a great experience to read the novel, which is thoroughly gripping, with an element element of suspense throughout, along with a message for the society. The style of writing, is predominantly 'Kāruṇya Rasa' - Emotion of compassion as per Bharata Muni's Nātyasāstra, an ancient work of dramatic theory. This enables everyone to connect to the novel and evokes emotion in the reader. A must read !
Ilavenil
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A tale where the protagonist overcoming challenges to reach her dream - seems quite common . A girl, her parents, her spouse, her mother in law, friends, a maid...characters we see everyday. What makes Sujata Rajpal's novel extraordinary is the way she exposes problems regularly glossed over by our society in order to be normal. Simply written, it is a very quick and intriguing read.