Start by marking “Summer of Suspense (Baker Family Adventures #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer of Suspense (Baker Family Adventures #1)

Summer of Suspense

(Baker Family Adventures #1)

When Phil, Abby, Andy, and Tom Baker hear that their cousin Millie will visit their farm for the summer, little do they imagine what a dreary time they will have with the snobbish girl. But when Millie disappears, life quickly becomes anything but dreary.

What starts out as a summer of chores and horse-riding on the farm turns into a cross-country adventure, as the Bakers
Published November 19th 2014 (first published September 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Suspense, please sign up.
Flora No, it's perfect for that age! The whole series! I loved them! I have to say the last three were my favorite! …moreNo, it's perfect for that age! The whole series! I loved them! I have to say the last three were my favorite! (less)

Start your review of Summer of Suspense (Baker Family Adventures #1)
Bekah
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing! C.R. Hedgcock did a great job with this book. It was full of intrigue, mystery, and adventure and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

I loved all the main characters. I really loved how the older brother, Phil, always sought to keep his siblings safe and was a good role model for them to follow.

I really liked how the Bakers would quote Scripture when they were afraid and needed to remind themselves that God was in control of all things and that everything was going to turn
Danny
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has got to be, hands down, the best modern, homeschool family, upright character, thrilling plot book I have ever read. I have always been very disappointed in the quality of books that people in my circles put out, but C.R. Hedgecock hit it out of the park with this one. I had to read ahead so it wouldn't get me all tensed up when I was supposed to be winding down for sleep!

Great for all ages, really. It might be a bit 'scary' because it's so suspenseful, but nothing unfit for young child
Ellen Senechal
3.5 stars.
RTC! <3
Lauren Compton
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books because they have characters working together as a family and trusting in God!

My younger brothers wanted more and more! I'm so grateful that CR Hedgcock has taken the time and effort to write books that are exciting and acknowledge God unashamedly.The best part is that the whole family works together to solve the mystery, rather than it being just the children going off on adventures by themselves.

Age Appropriate For: 12 and up
Best for Ages: 13-18

I have been interested in this series since it came out, but it wasn’t until they were put on Kindle that I decided to read them. This is the first book in the Baker Family Adventures, a series that is written by a homeschooler, geared for homeschoolers, about homeschoolers.

There are many positive things I can say about this book, but I want to fist talk a little about the elements I didn’t like. First off, it was very violent. Don’t get me wrong
Hannah
Good length for a middle grade mystery novel. The plot involves some young farm kids and their rich cousin as they investigate the disappearance of a horse--and of the two girls, who are kidnapped by the bad guys in the process of trying to uncover the mystery. The mystery was good and the attitudes to Millie weren't too unfair--in fact, I would have liked to see more detail on her supposed snobbery, as it wasn't shown in much detail. I was impressed by how the heroine treated Millie in her own ...more
Rebecca
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my honest opinion about this book.

My friend recommended this book to me. The cover is eye-catching and the title is intruiging; however, this book was really too cliche and far fetched for my liking. Here's my review of the book, Summer of Suspense by C.R. Hedgcock.

PLOT (Synopsis from GoodReads, comments in [bold] mine):
When Phil, Abby, Andy, and Tom Baker [seemingly perfect, sheltered children] hear that their cousin Millie [seemingly haughty, worldy teen] will visit their farm for the
Sydney Campanella
I got this series for Christmas and I don't know who couldn't love them! Full of suspense, tension and unexpected happenings this series contains wholesome, Christian family stories. What an awesome series! ...more
Miriam Whyte
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this series from the author herself! This is a great start!
Gloria
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book in one sitting and greatly enjoyed it! Considering that this is the first book written by the author, it was rather well done. The plot line was engaging, although there was a bit of unnecessary exposition at the beginning. I love how the Bible and Biblical topics are naturally woven in throughout the Baker family's conversations and interactions. Definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the series! ...more
Ruthe Turner
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised to find this book to be quite suspenseful, with a life and death race to rescue two girls who were kidnapped. Lessons of ingenuity, acceptance, and forgiveness are weaved into the story of cousins.
Abigail Harris
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rereading
Brooklynn
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sister and I throughly enjoyed this series and are anxiously awaiting the release of the seventh installment!
Lucy Grace
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book!
Lydia Coral
Rating: 3.5 stars

This was a nice book, somewhere between one of the Mandie series and a book by Enid Blyton. I really liked the members of the Baker family and the other characters who helped them (view spoiler) The characters were believable and likeable (most of them :D), and their attitudes towards each other were well-done and realistic.
I only wish I'd read this book when I was younger, but I enjoyed it all the same. I look forward to reading the rest o
Kate
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-books
These books are fun and adventurous, if a tad cheesy. The Baker family is a close-knit group of 6 who have a series of wild incidents from bringing down a major crime organization, to assisting their detective friend, Jigson, in bringing down... yet another major crime organization? The books are definitely unrealistic as to what the family seems to run into, but they are still interesting.
Laura The Book Reader
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Wholesome. Christian. Excellent book for a family read aloud.
Hannah
Colin
rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Corrie Ten Boom: Keeper of the Angels' Den (Chrisitan Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems
  • Mary Slessor: Forward into Calabar
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  • Ember's End (The Green Ember, #4)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations
  • The Fallacy Detective: Thirty-Eight Lessons on How to Recognize Bad Reasoning
  • Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
  • Hudson Taylor: Deep in the Heart of China (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • The Girl Who Looked Beyond The Stars
  • Monster
  • Earthquake Escape (Wild Rescue)
  • Jacob Deshazer: Forgive Your Enemies
  • Free Spirit (Stardust Stables, #3)
  • Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims

Baker Family Adventures (6 books)
  • Peril on Providence Island (Baker Family Adventures #2)
  • Riddle of the Ruby Ring (Baker Family Adventures #3)
  • The Treacherous Trail (Baker Family Adventures #4)
  • Prisoner of the Pyrenees (Baker Family Adventures #5)
  • Iceland Intrigue (Baker Family Adventures Book 6)

News & Interviews