Start by marking “Summer of Suspense (Baker Family Adventures #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer of Suspense (Baker Family Adventures #1)

Summer of Suspense

(Baker Family Adventures #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  81 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When Phil, Abby, Andy, and Tom Baker hear that their cousin Millie will visit their farm for the summer, little do they imagine what a dreary time they will have with the snobbish girl. But when Millie disappears, life quickly becomes anything but dreary.

What starts out as a summer of chores and horse-riding on the farm turns into a cross-country adventure, as the Bakers
Published November 19th 2014 (first published September 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Suspense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of Suspense

Bekah
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing! C.R. Hedgcock did a great job with this book. It was full of intrigue, mystery, and adventure and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

I loved all the main characters. I really loved how the older brother, Phil, always sought to keep his siblings safe and was a good role model for them to follow.

I really liked how the Bakers would quote Scripture when they were afraid and needed to remind themselves that God was in control of all things and that everything was going to turn
Madison
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-novels
This has got to be, hands down, the best modern, homeschool family, upright character, thrilling plot book I have ever read. I have always been very disappointed in the quality of books that people in my circles put out, but C.R. Hedgecock hit it out of the park with this one. I had to read ahead so it wouldn't get me all tensed up when I was supposed to be winding down for sleep!

Great for all ages, really. It might be a bit 'scary' because it's so suspenseful, but nothing unfit for young child
Age Appropriate For: 12 and up
Best for Ages: 13-18

I have been interested in this series since it came out, but it wasn’t until they were put on Kindle that I decided to read them. This is the first book in the Baker Family Adventures, a series that is written by a homeschooler, geared for homeschoolers, about homeschoolers.

There are many positive things I can say about this book, but I want to fist talk a little about the elements I didn’t like. First off, it was very violent. Don’t get me wrong
Hannah
Good length for a middle grade mystery novel. The plot involves some young farm kids and their rich cousin as they investigate the disappearance of a horse--and of the two girls, who are kidnapped by the bad guys in the process of trying to uncover the mystery. The mystery was good and the attitudes to Millie weren't too unfair--in fact, I would have liked to see more detail on her supposed snobbery, as it wasn't shown in much detail. I was impressed by how the heroine treated Millie in her own ...more
rebecca
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my honest opinion about this book.

My friend recommended this book to me. The cover is eye-catching and the title is intruiging; however, this book was really too cliche and far fetched for my liking. Here's my review of the book, Summer of Suspense by C.R. Hedgcock.

PLOT (Synopsis from GoodReads, comments in [bold] mine):
When Phil, Abby, Andy, and Tom Baker [seemingly perfect, sheltered children] hear that their cousin Millie [seemingly haughty, worldy teen] will visit their farm for the
Sydney Campanella
I got this series for Christmas and I don't know who couldn't love them! Full of suspense, tension and unexpected happenings this series contains wholesome, Christian family stories. What an awesome series!
Miriam Whyte
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this series from the author herself! This is a great start!
Gloria
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book in one sitting and greatly enjoyed it! Considering that this is the first book written by the author, it was rather well done. The plot line was engaging, although there was a bit of unnecessary exposition at the beginning. I love how the Bible and Biblical topics are naturally woven in throughout the Baker family's conversations and interactions. Definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the series!
A. Harrison
Rereading
Brooklynn
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sister and I throughly enjoyed this series and are anxiously awaiting the release of the seventh installment!
Lauren Compton
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these books because they have characters working together as a family and trusting in God!

My younger brothers wanted more and more! I'm so grateful that CR Hedgcock has taken the time and effort to write books that are exciting and acknowledge God unashamedly.The best part is that the whole family works together to solve the mystery, rather than it being just the children going off on adventures by themselves.

Emily
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This book was interesting and fun to read! A mystery story about a Christian, homeschooling family that's anything but boring. It is pretty intense at a few spots for very young children, but overall, a good book for the whole family!
Hannah
Dec 09, 2013
James Bigham
Feb 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

Baker Family Adventures (6 books)
  • Peril on Providence Island (Baker Family Adventures #2)
  • Riddle of the Ruby Ring (Baker Family Adventures #3)
  • The Treacherous Trail (Baker Family Adventures #4)
  • Prisoner of the Pyrenees (Baker Family Adventures #5)
  • Iceland Intrigue (Baker Family Adventures Book 6)