Start by marking “God-Shaped Hole” as Want to Read:
God-Shaped Hole

God-Shaped Hole

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  7,477 ratings  ·  1,232 reviews
Everyone said she was a fraud, that she was just making it up.
I'd really like to know why the hell a person would make up a thing like that.

Written with the snap, glitter and wit of The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing, God-Shaped Hole is a memorable, poignant love
Published May 1st 2002 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about God-Shaped Hole, please sign up.
Beatrix I'm guessing she named it God-Shaped Hole, and the novel we read is in fact Trixie's journal.
That's my interpretation.

I like the symbolics of it and…more
That's my interpretation.

I like the symbolics of it and the fact that Trixie has a lot more in her life to happen, we only got to see a small portion of it. How many more journals will she fill in...(less)
Colleen Roberge It has religious references and while the main character had a Catholic schooling, she is in fact far from religious. You will understand the…moreIt has religious references and while the main character had a Catholic schooling, she is in fact far from religious. You will understand the "God-Shaped hole" reference and meaning once you read the book. It is an amazing story and I highly recommend reading this book. It leaves an impression. (less)

·  7,477 ratings  ·  1,232 reviews

Christy
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants an incredible read along with a good cry
Shelves: 2017-audio
5 INCREDIBLE STARS!!!

photo 6edaee91-230a-48db-99e7-e87a27180df8_zpsab62a996.jpg

What can I say about this book? It kept me up all night reading. It made me think. It made me re-evaluate my own life. It moved me. It destroyed me.

photo 35417bac-8500-4f1d-9455-1bc6986a59d5_zpse40a2d4f.jpg

Beatrix (Trixie) and Jacob meet by an ad. It’s silly. Jacob put it in the paper, just because... and Trixie answered.
If your intentions are pure
I’m seeking a friend
For the end
Of the world.
Some people are just meant to meet. Meant to know each other, be in each others lives. Thats how it is with Jacob Grace and Trixie. They
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone and their mama
Recommended to Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* by: Dawn & Sharon, bless them!

“You wanna know how to make God laugh?. Tell him your plans”

Dear Diary,

Yes, I know. I usually write in Spanish but guess what? I am making this entry public. Why, you ask? Well, I want to review a book and this one felt so personal that I wanted to tell you how I feel after reading it.

This book… Nope, not this book. This author… OMG, holly hell this author!!! She’ll make you change your life, she’ll make you believe this life is worth it, she’ll make you FEEL. How important is that? How many
Baba
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 depressing stars.****Review completed August 8, 2013

photo b3a80ea8-3bf2-41ec-949f-2e64f2b8d781_zpsa9442d9d.jpg

photo d29925fe-7741-4287-9ab7-4fc908292483_zps05651bb8.jpg

photo tumblr_m46880S9Bv1rqpem4o1_500_zps463e1a81.gif

"(…) I think we are God. We all have that inside of us. And I believe we go on after we've turned to dust. Our souls, I mean."
(…)
"A search. We're all searching for something to fill up what I like to call that big God-shaped hole in our souls. Some people use alcohol, or sex, or their children, or food, or money, or music, or heroin. A lot of people even use the concept of God itself. (…)"

photo tumblr_m6pbgcQJlF1roq4e2o1_500_zpse8e29dbb.gif

I have decided to not review God-Shaped Hole. The
Mo
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone said she was a fraud,
that she was just making it up.
I'd really like to know why the hell a person would make up a thing like that.

This is the sort of book that you just need to read, without knowing too much about it. I have read this author's other book and really liked it but this one has a different feel to it.

Trixie," he said. "Do you mind if I call you Trixie?"

Most books
Em Lost In Books
Don't waste your time with fear.. Fear won't keep you safe from being hurt.

took it's sweet time to really get started but once it did this story was hard to let go. Beatrice and Jacob were not perfect but they were perfect for each other. Came close to break off but soon realized that it's foolish to hurt the person you love because it makes you more sad and feel worse.

A bittersweet love story.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
If your intentions are pure, I'm seeking a friend for the end of the world.

Best...personal...ad...ever.

Tiffanie DeBartolo - her words slay me. This wasn't quite as good as her other book How to Kill a Rock Star, but I still can't believe this was her first novel. For a first effort, it was quite impressive. Hell, I can't believe more people haven't read her work. There is something about the way this woman puts words together which makes my brain hurt, but in a good way. We move from poetic
Karen
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fuck, that hurt. And my highlighter is out of ink.
Bloody sensational. If I can find the words, review will follow...

5 SOLID STARS ★★★★★
[image error]  photo roshambo.jpg

“Just knowing you exist changed the world for me.”

How to review this amazing book? Well, I guess I will start off by saying that it will probably be one of my favorite books of the year. I will also say that I felt just the same about Tiffanie DeBartolo’s other book, How to Kill a Rock Star. So, perhaps it’s just a connection I feel with her wri
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

The warning signs were shining like G.D. beacons that I would not enjoy God-Shaped Hole.

#1 – The blurb by Dave Eggers told me to expect a main character who was a 27-year old female Holden Caulfield. There are two types of people in this world – those who love Holden Caulfield and those who hate him. I DESPISE HOLDEN CAULFIELD.

#2 – The blurb was by DAVE EGGERS. YUCK.

#3 – The foreward claimed the inspiration for this story came from J
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Frickin' book....

Frickin' tearjerker...

and...frickin' cliffhanger.

DON'T read this book...or do...yes do...it's soooo good!

Ok rant over...here's the review:

Beatrice is tired of the same ol' same ol' dating scene so when she sees an ad that says:

"If you're intentions are pure
I'm seeking a friend
for the end
of the world."

Well, her interests are peaked and she just can't resist answering it. That's how she meets Jacob Grace.

No news flash that I love emotional books but this book killed me just
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it, I hated it... My feelings are all over the place right now... Fuck, this book break my heart... 😭😭😭

Cheers,
Jacob. ❤

Suanne Laqueur
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-five-stars
UPDATE: Because Robin is reading it and it's popped up on my newsfeed again, I feel compelled to say this book hurt my feelings and I'm still not speaking to it. Pbbhththt!

"Annihilation starts from the inside out."
Yeah, no shit Sherlock.

I could give this book 4 stars for taking me to the summit of Mt Everest. I should give it 1 star for then stabbing me in the heart with an ice axe.

But I give it 5. Because.... I have to.

Jesus H Roosevelt Christ.....
destini mia
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

"You want to know how to make God laugh? Tell him your plans."

Where to even begin?
I feel like I have so much to say but can't get it out in a coherent sentence.

When I read a book (and decide to review it) I usually have a process I go through. As I go through the story, I have a sort of... outline in my head of what I want to say. So my reviews are usually a reflection of what I thought and felt throughout the whole entire book, while I was 'in the moment.' With God-Shaped Hole, I finishe
Lewis
Nov 19, 2007 rated it did not like it
There's never been a book that infuriated me more than God-Shaped Hole. Not because it's "edgy," not because it's "insightful" or "daring." It is, quite honestly, the complete opposite. It is a book about a narcissistic written by a woman so full of her own ideas about true love (none of which ring true in the simplest of terms) that it wouldn't at all be surprising if she had written that the character of Beatrice suddenly turned to the Heavens and yelled, "It's me! It's me! Tiffanie!"

And so Go
Lo Bookfrantic
4★★★★Stars

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person – Female

"If your intentions are pure I'm seeking a friend for the end of the world."

description

Beatrice aka "Trixie" Jordan was a free spirit kind of person; an artist at heart. She occupied her time making and designing her own jewelry and she made it from the heart. They were precious to her. Her talent was well known and very fast her business bloom big time. Trixie loved music and wasn't the type of person that could deal with peop
Ash Wednesday
4.5 STARS

"God is a concept by which we measure our pain"
-'God', John Lennon

Tiffanie DeBartolo wrote 2 books, and if any of your friends recommend either this or How to Kill A Rock Star, take it as a compliment. Because TDB's books are those that won't coddle you with puff pastry dialogue or feed you saccharine lines and emotional scenes that you would squee over on your updates with a Zooey Deschanel gif (something I'm guilty of once in a while, surely). When someone recommends you a book of
Shannon The Show Stopper
5+++++ STARS

"Sometimes the most consequential moments in my life originate from a state of completely witless human auto-pilot."

Jacob places this personal add at the newspaper where he works:

photo 97567ddc-d97f-46e0-9e20-b1f9c85e6ff5_zps4d25f8f5.png

Beatrice answers his add on whim...

It's fate bringing these two Siamese soul lovers together and what a couple they are.
"I feel like we grew in the same womb or something. Like we've been connected from the beginning by blood and veins. Siamese soul lovers..."

Beatrice, the narrator just doesn't qu
Katy Loves Romance ❤️
5+++++ Outstanding stars

Oh hell how do I review a book like this?? I simply don't per-se I'm going give you my thoughts but honestly you need to read this with no assumptions of what its about just ignore what everyone's said and READ IT!! this is good stuff.

Jacob puts an ad in the paper
 photo 909C156D-9ABF-46FC-A4B8-DA69C674CF7F_zpsxrxd14t1.jpg

And Trixie reply's
 photo 302375F5-A772-44DB-A0C0-F1DD06DBD29C_zpst9hxkdgc.gif

"here's the thing," Jacob continued, "I feel like we grew in the same womb or something. Like we've been connected from the beginning by blood and veins. Siamese soul lovers. If there coul
Jennifer Kyle
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cry-baby-books
4 ~ 4.5 Stars

description

I’m in awe on how truly gifted of a writer Tiffanie DeBartolo actually is. How to Kill a Rock Star is one of my all-time favorite reads but, I was apprehensive about the synopsis for this story. I knew the writing would be too wonderful to skip any story put out by this author so I jumped in.

”When I was twelve, a fortune teller told me that my one true love would die young and leave me all alone. ”

Even though the synopsis threatened soul mate separation, I knew the journey would b
Dee Montoya
***** 6+++ My Favorite Book Ever Stars*****

I read God-Shaped Hole a few days ago and been thinking about it non-stop, to the point of obsession. Tiffanie DeBartolo rocked my world with this amazing novel, and there's nothing I can say in my review that can make justice of how magical this book was.

This is the most special love story I ever had the honor of reading Trixie and Jacob capture my heart and they will live there forever!!

If your intentions are pure,
I'm seeking a friend
for the end
of
Kim  *Mo Chridhe*
I have a new religion and it's called Tiffaniedebartoloism.

This is what my copy of God Shaped Hole looks like.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Please overlook the fact that I've physically highlighted the book. I know it's a sacrilegious act for some. My constant use of e-readers with their highlighting, bookmarking and note-jotting capabilities is to blame. I would have had swirly notes of my thoughts all over the pages had I not planned to lend this book but I figured, it's too good not to share. Anyway, the point of that im
Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~
4.5 Stars. I would give it 5 but I hated the ending!!

"When I was twelve, a fortune-teller told me that my one true love would die young and leave me all alone..."

Now when a book starts off this way you know you are in for it....But what will happen? The suspense! Agh!! I love it when a book moves/affects me and this one certainly did. I felt their love, joy, pain...

The book begins when Trixie answers a personal ad that Jacob placed in the newspaper.

They meet up and really hit it off rather q
Brenna
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes the most consequential moments in my life originate from a state of completely witless human autopilot."

And... that is how the story of Beatrice & Jacob begins. On a whim, Beatrice, for a reason she herself can't even understand, decides to respond to a personal ad. "If your intentions are pure I am seeking a friend for the end of the world."

Beatrice, or "Trixie" as Jacob affectionately calls her, is the voice of this story. She is sick of the LA lifestyle and is always let dow
~IreneOust~
Jul 31, 2013 marked it as to-read

This came in the mail yesterday:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This was my reaction when my husband called and told me that it did:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I can't wait!!!!!
S.R. Grey
Wow! Please don't be put off by all the "this is sad", "this is depressing" reviews. Yes, there is sadness in the novel. And not gonna lie, the end is depressing. BUT God-Shaped Hole is so much more than a tragic tale of loss. Let's review, shall we...

First, we meet two fabulously unique characters, Jacob Grace (loved him) and Beatrice "Trixie" Jordan. They are quirky and different and you never doubt these two are meant to be together. And, except for one hiccup in their time together, neither
Debra

How I would sum up this book:

Broke my heart but I still loved it <3

Full review to come.
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
description

‘…memories are the patches that make up the quilt of our emotions. A beautiful way to put it, but wrong. If that were true, then memories would blanket us, they would keep us warm. My memories were chilling me to the bone.’

Oh our hearts. We are wrecked! Wrecked we tell you. We’ve recently overhauled our blog and in doing so, discovered we had never reviewed God Shaped Hole. This is one of our favourite books, and we couldn’t do it justice without once again experiencing the provocative words of
Melissa
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow.... another great book from Tiffanie DeBartolo. I am in awe of the amazing stories and characters that she's created. How To Kill A Rockstar was one of the best books I have ever read and GSH has definitely been added to my favorites list.

I loved that Trixie and Jacob met in such a quirky and unique way and had such a strong "siamese soul lovers" connection right from the start. The whole book was deep and heartfelt and it even made me assess my own life. I was heartbroken over the ending,
Amber Rose
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
 photo 5stars_zpscf7811d0.png

“Don't waste your time with fear.. Fear won't keep you safe from being hurt.”

photo God-ShapedHole_zps937f799c.jpg

This book blew my mind. I am not even sure how to express how much this book tore me apart. It fucked my world up let me put it like that. I loved the authors book, How to Kill a Rock Star. I knew starting this book that I should not take this story likely. I knew what would happen. It was just a given. It is read out and expressed to you many times through out the book. How could I not, NOT want to read it.

This
Brandi
It has been almost a year since I first read this, and it still haunts me.

“It seemed cruelly unfair to me, even then, how fast your life can change before you have an opportunity to rethink your choices. We should get second chances on the big stuff. We should come equipped with erasers attached to the tops of our heads. Like pencils. We should be able to flip over and scribble away mistakes, at least once or twice during the duration of our existence, especially in matters of life and death.”
Bookphenomena (Micky)
I’m going to keep this short as I offend lovers of this book left, right and centre.

Clearly, I am cold, unfeeling fish. This to me, was 90% of fairly boring relationship (I’ve no idea how I kept going, other than it became a challenge I wanted to win), then 10% of stupid outcome that I kind of expected. I felt nothing, I didn’t hurt and I hated the speedy wrap-up. I did like the writing style.

Good narration.

I’m glad it’s done and hopefully I’ll never have to think about this book again.
Nothing But Readi...: DeBartolo, Tiffanie--God Shaped Hole; informal buddy read starts May 28,2018 40 154 Jun 02, 2018 09:27AM
Young Adult Conte...: God-Shaped Hole, by Tiffanie DeBartolo - Starting April 30, 2018 48 13 May 05, 2018 06:02PM
Maryse's Book Blo...: God-Shaped Hole BR and spoilers 52 38 Mar 16, 2017 06:58AM
Beatrice's life after Jacob grace 4 219 Nov 21, 2014 11:21PM
Buddy Read Zone: God-Shaped Hole 77 75 Dec 12, 2013 03:22AM
Tattoo! 2 110 Nov 05, 2009 08:24AM

• Block 24
  • Badger
  • Give Me Your Answer True (The Fish Tales, #2)
  • In the Fields
  • And With Madness Comes the Light (Experiment in Terror, #6.5)
  • Running Barefoot
  • Tear You Apart
  • Divine
  • Falling Under
  • Wake
  • Rainfall
  • Time Stands Still (Emi Lost & Found, #2)
  • Blind Obsession
Tiffanie DeBartolo is the author of 'Grace: Based on the Jeff Buckley Story', (2019), 'How To Kill a Rock Star' (2005), and 'God Shaped Hole' (2002), and is the writer and director of the movie 'Dream for an Insomniac' (1996) starring Jennifer Aniston, Ione Skye, and Mackenzie Astin.
She is the Founder and CEO of SF Bay Area record label Bright Antenna Records featuring such artist as The Wombats,
“We’re all searching for something to fill up what I like to call that big, God-shaped hole in our souls. Some people use alcohol, or sex, or their children, or food, or money, or music, or heroin. A lot of people even use the concept of God itself. I could go on and on. I used to know a girl who used shoes. She had over two-hundred pairs. But it’s all the same thing, really. People, for some stupid reason, think they can escape their sorrows.” 320 likes
“Don't waste your time with fear.. Fear won't keep you safe from being hurt.” 221 likes