Start by marking “Managing Chaos: Digital Governance by Design” as Want to Read:
Managing Chaos: Digital Governance by Design

Managing Chaos: Digital Governance by Design

Few organizations realize a return on their digital investment. They’re distracted by political infighting and technology-first solutions. To reach the next level, organizations must realign their assets—people, content, and technology—by practicing the discipline of digital governance. Managing Chaos inspires new and necessary conversations about digital governance and it ...more
Published 2015 by Rosenfeld Media

To ask other readers questions about Managing Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing Chaos

Start your review of Managing Chaos: Digital Governance by Design
Bry Willis
This is an excellent book on Web and Internet governance. In an approachable manner, Lisa shares with the reader her decades of experience in this area. She sounds like a strong and qualified person to have on a governance project. If you need a pep talk and some case studies or reinforcement for the concept, or you need to tighten up your own governance, this is worth the read. Buy a couple copies for sharing.

My only disappointment was in her use of the word in the subtitle: Digital Governance
Deane Barker
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a solid book about larger scale digital governance. I say "larger scale" because it's primarily about how to get order at the higher-levels -- C-level, VP level, and steering committee level. This differentiates "governance" and "operations" for me: governance is Big Picture steering, where operations is the people in the trenches.

Lisa hammers on three elements to a framework: Strategy, Policies, and Standards.

* Strategy: what are we doing and why?
* Policies: what rules do we have in pla
Mateusz
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's not really helping me in convincing people to care about digital presence. It's too rough and out of context to use as examples in discussion but overall, the book is solid if you're an expert that knows the terminology and processes.
Rebekah
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most helpful books I ever read. It shed light on frustrations in previous work places and helped me figure out what I wanted in future employment. I absolutely loved Welchman's voice and it made a topic that some might think boring incredibly engaging.
Kelly
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-better
Essential guide to creating website governance policies and documents. I did a workshop with Lisa Welchman while she was writing this book, and lives up to the promise of that in-person training. Yay!
Jim
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, but its for managers not designers.
Julia Kulgavchuk
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
Yes, the book gives specific tools and methods for digital governance, but this is not what makes it stand out to me. What makes the book fascinating is that while giving a glimpse of insane complexity of organisations and their dynamics, it also shows the beauty of it. This world of big messy organisations with their legacy issues suddenly shines with bright colors like the book cover. The book is written in a beautiful version of corporate lingo, the one that reads like poetry. I feel like rea ...more
Donna
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few books on Website Governance

This is an excellent book on web & content governance. I looked hard for one that covered the sites themselves, and not just content - very hard to find.

There is so much I want to pull out of this book and immediately implement.

Highly recommended.
Rahel
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Every company should have a well-thumbed copy of this in plain sight.
Iacobien
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Artikel dat ik over de boek en het onderwerp schreef vind je op http://uxbookclubarnhemdeventer.nl/ar...
Chris
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: academic
Excellent discussion of collaborative heirarchies for digital governance.
Jake Mcgowan
Mario Carabotta
Jul 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • The Race For A New Game Machine: Creating the Chips Inside the XBox and the Playstation 3
  • Mobile Design Pattern Gallery: UI Patterns for Mobile Applications
  • Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community
  • Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook: Synthesizer Programming, Sound Analysis, and Universal Patch Book
  • La danza de la realidad
  • Designing the Conversation: Techniques for Successful Facilitation
  • How to Get People to Do Stuff: Master the Art and Science of Persuasion and Motivation
  • Resilient Management
  • Intertwingled: Information Changes Everything
  • Sense and Respond: How Successful Organizations Listen to Customers and Create New Products Continuously
  • Digital Transformation at Scale: Why the Strategy Is Delivery
  • The Content Strategy Toolkit: Methods, Guidelines, and Templates for Getting Content Right
  • HBR Guide to Coaching Employees (HBR Guide Series)
  • Strategic Writing for UX: Drive Engagement, Conversion, and Retention with Every Word
  • Managing Up: How to Move up, Win at Work, and Succeed with Any Type of Boss
  • The First 90 Days: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels
  • Building Design Systems: Unify User Experiences Through a Shared Design Language

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Some of the most frequently heard reasons for not establishing an effective digital governance might sound familiar:” 0 likes