Start by marking “The Tourists” as Want to Read:
The Tourists

The Tourists

The third installment from Daunt Books' 'very smart-looking' (Nicholas Royale) annual short story series

A local dignitary is hosting a lavish party at his country house on the outskirts of Cali, Colombia. He observes from afar as his staff prepare the grounds to his liking - the maids carefully arrange the lawn furniture, the chefs plate the oysters and caviar with precisi

To ask other readers questions about The Tourists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tourists

Kaylee
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Creepy. I was surprisingly satisfied at how unsatisfying the ending was. Nothing is explained. You have no clue who's watching or why. Where'd the girl go?! What was happening!? Nothing. No answers. Made me think. Mostly in confusion cause I had no clue what was going on. But I enjoyed that. Too many stories wrap up too neatly and that's kinda lame.
John Naylor
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
A strange novella.

I feel that it was a part of a bigger book or just a writing exercise. It honestly felt like a Facebook post that someone could do. It asks questions but doesn't provide answers.

The writing is very descriptive and there is an element of humour. This was what raised it above one star for me. I'm intrigued to read more from the author despite feeling dissatisfied with this novella.
Tamara✨
Ok so I picked this up while browsing Daunt Books for 2 reasons: 1) It has a gorgeous cover and I am horribly shallow with book covers. 2) It is set in Cali, Colombia which is where my mother was born and quite often if something is set in Colombia it is usually in Bogota, Medellin or even Baranquilla.

So even though I gave this 2 stars, it was only because I felt it was TOO short! I mean I know it's a short story/novella type thing, but I felt that it could have done with maybe like 5 or 10 pag
Armen
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
very confused about this.
Ali Caitrin
Jessica
Feb 10, 2015
Jenn
Oct 16, 2018
Julianne Pachico was born in 1985 in Cambridge, England. She grew up in Cali, Colombia, where her parents worked in international development as agricultural social scientists.

In 2004 she moved to Portland, Oregon, where she completed her B.A. at Reed College in Comparative Literature. In 2012 she returned to England in order to complete her M.A. in Prose Fiction at the University of East Anglia i