Start by marking “Haunted Plantations of the South” as Want to Read:
Haunted Plantations of the South

Haunted Plantations of the South

When you hear the word "plantations," most people think of grand homes with pillars and sweeping staircases. These houses of grandeur were located all through the South in the days before the Civil War, and there are some that still resonate with the loveliness they had in their heyday. These majestic homes have a long history, and some of those who lived in these homes re

Published June 8th 2015 by Llewellyn Publications (first published June 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted Plantations of the South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted Plantations of the South

Start your review of Haunted Plantations of the South
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Richard Southall has compiled a book about haunting's in plantations in America. He has done a very good work, listed the plantations in different states. So here we have haunted plantations from South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and so on. All very neatly put together, Every plantation is described; its history and its ghosts. Very academic and also a bit boring to read. It really feels like reading a thesis. Some histories were kind of interesting to read, especially the very tr ...more
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
I received this copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I liked this book so much that I did actually go out and buy a copy for myself. I love the south though it's far from perfect, it's where I grew up and this book shows me all the places I've heard of that's haunted with nice details.
Karyn Niedert
Mar 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not all books suit all readers, and this is the case with "Haunted Plantations of the South". I may be spoiled by a local Louisville author, David Domine, who writes so eloquently and personally about hauntings in our region. That being said, it didn't feel as though Mr. Southall could find his writing pace when putting this book together. If he wanted to write about the architecture of Southern plantations, he should have named his book "Architecture of Plantations in the South". While this pa ...more
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/reviews/...

In Haunted Plantations of the South, author Richard Southall describes various plantations from the south (as the title suggests), and the ghost stories connected to them. The book first describes various building styles, which I thought was interesting and a nice touch, and then the book is divided in chapters, a chapter per state: South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and so on. Each chapter focuses on a handful
Jillyn
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
The American South holds a special place in my heart. For too short of a time, I lived in Louisiana. I immersed myself in the history and the legends, and I visited a few different plantations (among other things) in order to get a better appreciation for the stories. It is for those reasons that I was really excited to get a copy of this book. It was super informative, but not quite what I was expecting.

The book is divided into 8 chapters: Intro, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North
Angel
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, netgalley
**ARC provided through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

2.5 Stars

This book combines two of my interests, history and the paranormal. Most of the hauntings are of Civil War soldiers, which is where a lot of the history comes into to play. Some of the original plantation owners either played a significant part during the Civil War era (held an office or signed the Declaration of Independence), or were married to women who were related to someone who did.

There was quite a bit of researc
Zita K.
Haunted Plantations of the South is a very well written book that combines history with the paranormal stories. Plantations in the American South provoke in me many emotions and I like to read about their architecture and history as well. And this book throws readers into the history of these amazing houses.
Definitely recommend this book - you will surely enjoy reading it.

---I recieved my copy via Netgalley in exchange for honest review.---
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
My book blog -----> http://allthebookblognamesaretaken.bl...

I receive this as an ARC free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love Ghost Hunters (but not Ghost Adventures, those guys are ridiculous and never try to debunk anything and seem to always think the ghost are cussing at them. So stupid). But, anyway, I requested this one because I am interested in ghost stories and architecture as well - especially the various styles described in the book; plantation homes are beautiful.

U
Meghan
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: halloween, southern
Initially I thought that is a gorgeous cover and this is just going to be a somewhat silly book about ghosts and sightings. However, I was pleasantly surprised to read about the historical background of plantations, these specific properties and the alleged sightings. Each plantation read as a general overview of the story rather than go into a full ghost story or background of it. At times I felt I was looking at a research resource rather than just a book telling ghost or haunted sightings. I ...more
Michelle
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A heartbroken young woman waits for her lover to return from the Civil War...150 years after the guns fell silent. Laughter and music is heard emanating from the ballroom...of a ruined mansion. Whispers are heard coming long deserted slave cabins. These are the type of ghostly activity that are reported on plantations throughout the American South and form the basis of Richard Southall's book "Haunted Plantations of the South." Southall takes the reader through a tour of the haunted south focusi ...more
Julie Dawson
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Haunted Plantations of the South is a disappointing collection of ambiguous vignettes of various alleged ghost sightings at predominately tourist destinations in the South. In truth, the book reads more like a tour guide than a thoughtfully researched work on the subject.

Each listing includes only the barest details of the alleged hauntings, and the author rarely cites any sources. It is almost as if some of the stories are being taken verbatim from guided tours of the plantations themselves. Th
Bexa
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a well written book and very informative. Southall introduces the types of houses and reasons why ghosts stick around, and then spend a chapter on each of the states in the south that have haunted plantations. (Let's be honest though, the entire south is one big haunting.) With each plantation he provides the history of when it was established, the history of the people that lived there, and then what spirits seem to be haunting the place. Being a skeptic myself, I did laugh at a couple ...more
Paula
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Received as a free ebook copy from NetGalley.

A thoroughly delightful read about some plantations in the south. I think the author did an excellent job on organizing the plantations by state and obviously put a lot of time, thought, effort, and research into what he chose to share/write. I think the author is a talented writer and would read other publications by him.

BUT.....The title and summary led me to believe I would find a book filled with hauntings. The title is a bit misleading. For each
Marjorie
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Given To Me For An Honest Review

Haunted Plantations of the South by Richard Southall combines history and paranormal stories. It shares stories of plantations found in the southern states and the stories about the families and the events that happened on them. There are no pictures in the book. If there were it would make a much better book because it would help the reader to see the details that the author was explaining. In the back of the book you'll find which plantations were used in film a
Naomi
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
My opinion: I found this book to be incredibly well researched. From a history plantation perspective, it was fascinating. I just wish the author would have put more on the haunting into it. For a book on haunting, I found it to be lacking.

Other reviewers have commented on the academic feel to the book. I must state that I do agree with this assessment, but tend to like books written in that format for non-fictional works. Just note, that it does have a dry feeling to it if you like your "ghost
Margaret Sholders
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I believe in ghosts. I have seen one in my house. This book is about the plantations down South. I liked this book. Richard doesn't just talk about the ghosts he tells us of the history of the real people and buildings. He also explains that some of the paranormal is from houses earlier than the buildings that stand now. I have always been interested in the Myrtles. It is in this book. Some are people who got sick and died. Some were murdered and some were slaves. Some are interactive ghosts and ...more
Susan
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Would you visit haunted plantations? If so, this will give you a guide to the haunted ones in the south. The author has visited the haunted plantations in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama and so forth. He describes the plantations history and it's ghosts. Some of the plantations are in ruins.

Richard Southall has written an excellent book. There are some pictures included of the plantations. The author's writing flows. I enjoyed reading it.

Disclaimer: I received an arc of this bo
Belva
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
One of my favorite pastimes is visiting the beautiful historic plantations of the South, so I was excited to discover this book. Having been to several of the places featured in the book, it was enjoyable to revisit the paranormal stories and learn more of the history associated with them. And it also allowed me to add a few places to visit to my bucket list. I would recommend this book to those who love to travel to historic sites and to those who are curious about the paranormal as there is go ...more
Meaghan Haxton
Feb 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
It's not often that I absolutely have to skim to finish a book, especially when it's something as short as this. But even though it was quite short and already required a significant suspension of belief, this book was just so horribly researched and poorly edited that it was impossible to get through even as a fluff read. It incorrectly identified names of authors, places, and the typos were so commonplace that they couldn't be ignored.
Emily Clarke
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book. Clearly and concisely laid out. More historic than haunted which I liked. I could really visualise the sightings at each of the plantations. I liked the stories of the people who lived in the plantations and how whatever happened in life seemed to play out in death. I read this book as a research tool for my next book and feel it gave a great insight into the plantations of the south. Oak Alley being my favourite but as a non believer in ghosts i didnt feel anything when i visited.
Sandra
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
please note: I read this as a free e-ARC from Netgalley.

This book may not be for everyone as some people may find the idea of hauntings silly. However, I enjoyed this book not just for the stories of the ghosts, but I absolutely love knowing the background history of this lovely old homes. I hope Mr. Southall will write more house histories.
Brooke
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
100% not what I expected. 100% disappointing. This reads like a bad first year essay. It's repetitive and dull and I really didn't get anything out of it.

You'd probably learn more interesting information from the links in the bibliography. In fact, the bibliography is probably the best thing about the book.

Free copy supplied by NetGalley for an unbiased review.
Amy
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I have to say that I didn't hate this book, but I didn't love it either. I felt like I was taking one of my college courses in history. It was very academically written. There was lots of information. I love reading about the paranormal whether true or made up.
I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to read this book free for an honest review.
Heather
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was very informative! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Even though I've already read an advance reader copy, I enjoyed the book so much that I think I am going to buy a hard copy of it as well!
Gena DeBardelaben
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
ARC:Netgalley

A more grownup version of the "Jeffrey" books every Southern child grew up with. Entertaining.
Stefanie Kellum
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
*I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via NetGalley.
Jenny
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's a whole lot on the history of the plantations and small bits about the hauntings.
Susan Obryan
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting look at historic haunted homes and such. As a Southern, I'd heard many of the stories, but Southall's research adds depth and definition to the old tales.

ARC provided by NetGalley
Jenni Schell
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
I really loved this book. There were ghost stories of places that I had heard about and even more that I had never heard. I can't wait to visit some of these places in the south.
Bianca
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Secret Rooms: A True Gothic Mystery
  • Miss Julia's Marvelous Makeover (Miss Julia, #15)
  • BLITZ: Trump Will Smash the Left and Win
  • The Library at the Edge of the World (Finfarran #1)
  • Murder and Mendelssohn (Phryne Fisher, #20)
  • How May I Offend You Today?: Rants and Revelations from a Not-So-Proper Southern Lady
  • The Wife Stalker
  • The Bone Tree (Penn Cage #5)
  • The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy (Harold Fry, #2)
  • The Scribe
  • Season of Storms
  • Blackout: How Black America Can Make Its Second Escape from the Democrat Plantation
  • Between Black and White (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #2)
  • Redemption Road
  • Smoke Gets in Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory
  • The Boy (Broussard and Fourcade, #2)
  • The House We Grew Up In