Start by marking “Colony of the Lost” as Want to Read:

Colony of the Lost

A DEMON'S REVENGE ... AN ADDICT'S STRUGGLE ... THE BATTLE FOR THE SOUL OF A TOWN

When the children of Glenwood begin vanishing one by one, baffling local and federal authorities alike, the idyllic New England suburb becomes anything but a utopia.

Built upon the ruins of a lost colony, Glenwood is home to a long-forgotten secret, and when three strangers are lured into the m
Published January 24th 2015 (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Colony of the Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colony of the Lost

Start your review of Colony of the Lost
Peter
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I really liked this old school horror novel with something incredibly evil lurking in the dark woods. An American small town faces the problem of missing children. Is a serial killer on the loose or is it something different that's hunting them down? In the course of the story also adults begin to change and murder their fellow citizens. Jay, an alcoholic ex-teacher and two children (Tim and Sarah) have visions of a ghostly boy named Samuel. He reveals the dark secret of the town that reaches ba ...more
Bandit
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
For a random kindle freebie this turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The author takes on the often trotted premise of an ancient demon awakening in a small town and proceeding to slaughter, maim and wreck havoc and turned it into a perfectly entertaining creature feature. Mind you, this is strictly B movie sort of fun, but still...the writing is solid, the pacing is great, the characters are perfectly decent and fairly reasonable and the kid characters are notably not annoying. Cavignano makes ...more
Peter
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The small town of Glenwood, Massachusetts is a place that holds a deep dark secret from long ago. Jay, an alcoholic, a teacher who lost his job because of his drinking, Tim, is bullied in school but has a sharp tongue and Sarah, a nine year old who has an imaginary friend. The trio has one thing in common, they can all see the Puritan boy Samuel. Samuel is a boy who was killed by the creature of the woods, over two hundred years ago. Children in the town of Glenwood begin to disappear and then s ...more
Bella
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An immensely satisfying paranormal thriller that manages to be playful, haunting and engrossing all at once. The plot delivers heavy doses of suspense, but it never feels particularly dark or heavy. Consider putting this one on your shortlist of possible beach reads. Check out my full review at BestThrillers.com. ...more
Jim Lay
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.
If horror novels were salsa, I would call this (very) mild salsa. I might even question some of the ingredients.
Lisa Williams
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

Colony of the Lost, By Derik Cavignano, was surprisingly an excellent story. Taking the Roanoke colony disappearance to a modern update of what might have happened. The tale begins with broken people seeing an apparition telling the three they are the only ones to stop the evil that has been unleashed.
All unlikely heroes, they discover clues to the mass disappearance of children, then adults. The characters are identifiable, if not likeable. Highly recommended to Sci-fi fans of al
Janice Fahrney-rudeen
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
On par with King

This was so on par with King I had to remind myself that I have discovered a great writer!!! I am so impressed with this volume I can hardly wait to read more of his work.
Jeanine
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well worth the read. I had to read it in one sitting since I couldn't put it down. ...more
Bill
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had to force myself to finish the last half of this book. The overall story was what kept me going: three INSANELY UNLIKELY strangers led by a ghost into the woods to find out some ancient evil is coming to kill everyone. You have the main protagonist, Jay, an alcoholic who's fiance left him and was forced to resign from his teaching job due to his drinking. You have the secondary protagonist, Tim, a smart aleck freshman high schooler that just moved into town who gets roughed up by the local ...more
Shaunee Fowler
A good read

I give this book 5 Stars simply because of how much this book keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. I never knew how the ending was going to go about.
Charles  van Buren
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well done, July 12, 2017

Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Colony of the Lost (Kindle Edition)

This is a well written, entertaining horror story with a touch of science fiction. The main protagonist is an alcoholic whose life is in a downward spiral, nearing the bottom. He plaintively asks himself, or perhaps God or the universe, "Why couldn’t he stop? Why couldn’t he go through an entire day without picturing the beer in the refrigerator? Other people could have one drink, two d
Heather
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
2.5

I really liked some of the characters (Jay being the standout) in this and the story had potential, but all in all, I didn't much care for this. Maybe it just wasn't my taste when it comes to horror. But I did have a problem with how easily people seemed to just believe. They took all these paranormal happenings very easily. Ghost kid? Sure, no problem. Demon killer thing. Ok. Like, I'm sorry, I would be freaking out, not shrugging it off. But that it a minor bugaboo, really.
This story actua
Darla
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It was a 1st for me by the author but it shouldn't be my last. It surrounds the story of a small town that has a dark history that suddenly resurfaces 300 years later in the form of an entity that is determined to wipe out the town and everyone in it. The people who discovered the lost secrets couldn't be more different from one another than night and day. Jay, the drunk honors geometry teacher, Tim, the bullied new kid, and Sarah, the 9 year old friendless girl who t ...more
Janice Kujawa
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved This Book

Jay, Crystal, Tim, Margaret, & Sarah against Trell. An evil older than time itself. Awesome read from beginning to end. Read in one sitting. Couldn't put it down. If you like horror, splashed with a little gore, mixed with the Supernatural, then this is a book for you. Will definitely recommend to friends and fellow readers. Looking forward to more from Derik Cavignano.
Erika
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow

What an amazing story! I really enjoyed this book. The characters were so vivid. Tim was my favorite, but I found all 3 protagonists to be very well fleshed out. The author did an amazing job of capturing the struggle of an active addict and the turmoil as he begins recovery.
Maryann
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great read!! This book was a real page-turner. It had great character development and plenty of good scares!
MaryAnn
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I enjoy Stephen King's books and this reminds me of something he would write. ...more
bibiana  Perdomo
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read

What a great book. Couldn't put it down till I finished the whole thing in one night. Non stop action the time
Lisa
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Stephen King, step aside!
Marbea Logan
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an adventure! I'm so surprised the FBI didn't makeup a total different story opposite of anything that actually occurred in Glenwood. It was disturbing how this creature pillaged towns for centuries, and slaughtered hundreds of thousands of people! I didn't think anybody in the town of Glenwood would've survived, let alone Sarah's mother. That was alot of people Trell murdered in that town. The story was creepy and thrilling, so well written! I was captured by the Prologue! ...more
Mel
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so descriptive. I really enjoyed the story and the characters, but the writing is what impressed me. When people began to tell stories, it’s for explanations like this. You really get a feel for what the character is going through and it made me feel invested in their experience. After I finished this one, I looked for more by the writer. I was sad I couldn’t find anything. I’m excited to read the next story.
Kristen Joanne
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent suspenseful horror book

I could not put this book down. I loved the characters, the pace, suspense, horror, and ending. Since I mainly read at night I was extremely terrified to sleep. It chilled me to the bone. If you’re looking for a good spook this is the book for you!
Roxann
I received this book free from Goodreads Giveaway.

I could not 'get into' the book. I had to force myself to finish it. I used to read horror books years ago and thought this might be a good start again, but it just wasn't for me.
Amie's Book Reviews
A well written horror story that I devoured in a single sitting.

Definitely worth a read, but beware of you are triggered by addiction issues, this book would not be for you.

I rate COLONY OF THE LIST as 4 out of 5 Stars
Catherine Woodman
Nail Biter!

I had a hard time putting this book down! I enjoyed the story and look forward to more from this author.
Lauren Belmonte
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely horrifyingly fantastic. Beautifully grotesque with a streak of dark humor that really balanced the terror and gore. I will be going back for seconds on this author for sure!
Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams
Colony of the Lost

In a small town children are starting to disappear and now a drunk, and two children must solve the mystery. Can Jay, Tim and Sarah save their home town and will Jay stop drinking long enough to help them. If you like ",It" you love this one.
Sue
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I loved the book. I enjoyed the sci-fy, fantasy and horror all mixed together. If you are a reader of any of those genres than you need to read this! Good job Derik!
connie green
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply perfection

Wow what a read ,fast paced edge of your seat.what house work ,what Landry,where did the day go kinda book
Laurie
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I want to thank NetGalley, the Publisher and the author for my ARC copy for a fair and honest review.

I tried, I really, really tried to get into this book, it wasn't because of any particular reason, other than I was simply in the wrong mindset for this book after getting started.

The author did a good job creating his cast of characters, the plot was interesting, with some good twists and turns, I just wasn't loving the enemy. I know, who's supposed to love the enemy? Well normally I don't love
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: please change book cover to the one I have 3 16 Feb 24, 2021 03:27PM

• Under the Wicked Moon: A Novel
  • Haunted: Perron Manor
  • The House of a Hundred Whispers
  • The Haunted
  • The Writhing: A Horror Novel
  • Mandy (Reach for the Dead #1)
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • Ghostland (Ghostland Trilogy, #1)
  • Rookwood Asylum (Asylum #1)
  • Bathwater Blues: A Novel
  • The Haunting of Meade Mansion (A Riveting Haunted House Mystery, #9)
  • Meat
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, #1)
  • Crow's Cottage (Where the Dead Walk #2)
  • Salvage
  • Island of the Dolls
  • The Bloodline
  • The Ghost of Old Coal House
Derik Cavignano is an award-winning author who writes character-driven stories in a variety of genres, including horror, sci-fi, and crime. A native of Boston, Derik currently lives in Florida with his wife, two children, and an angry cat who won't stop biting him.

Awards for his novels include:

*2019 Best Book Awards Winner for horror (The Art of Dying: A Ray Hanley Crime Thriller)

*2019 American Fi