Start by marking “The Devious Dr. Jekyll (Electric Empire, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Devious Dr. Jekyll (Electric Empire, #2)

The Devious Dr. Jekyll

(Electric Empire #2)

Dr. Eliza Jekyll, heroine of the electrifying The Diabolical Miss Hyde—an edgy steampunk retelling of the classic Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde—investigates a bizarre murder case in an alternate Victorian London while battling her treacherous secret half: Lizzie Hyde.

Solving the infamous Chopper case has helped crime scene physician Dr. Eliza Jekyll establish her fledgling career in the chauvinisti
Published October 27th 2015 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about The Devious Dr. Jekyll, please sign up.
Star Merrill This was the first one I STARTED to read. It got raunchy in the first chapter, so I tossed it. Sad that the author has to resort to vulgarity instead…moreThis was the first one I STARTED to read. It got raunchy in the first chapter, so I tossed it. Sad that the author has to resort to vulgarity instead of an interesting plot and characters.(less)

Start your review of The Devious Dr. Jekyll (Electric Empire, #2)
Mei
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal

It took me a lot to finish this book because it was really bizarre!

The way the main characters were acting, the writing style, the multitude of secondary characters... everything was... bizarre!

At the beginning I thought I understood what's been happening, but soon I lost track and, I must admit, several times I thought about DNF, but I remember that I felt like that also during the first book, so I persevered and it was worth it!

At the end I understood why of all that bizarreness (is that even a word???).

Eliza is experien
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Dr. Eliza Jekyll (and Lizzie Hyde) and Remy Lafayette are back in The Devious Dr. Jekyll, the sequel to the fantastic The Diabolical Miss Hyde. Once again they have to team up to find a killer, this time, a ritual torturer called the Pentacle Killer. But, there is an enemy that could very well destroy Eliza, and it's not the dangerous Razor Jack who escaped in the confrontation at the end of the last book. No, the enemy is much closer. Much…much closer…

To say that I was very eager to read this
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Publisher) via (Edelweiss) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Steampunk, Fantasy, Romance
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

The Devious Dr. Jekyll is the second installment in Viola Carr's Electric Empire series. Following in the footsteps of The Diabolical Miss Hyde, Dr. Eliza Jekyll returns to more shenanigans, more intrigue, more mystery, sus
Karen
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
P. Kirby
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk
It's springtime, a time when a not-so-young artist's thoughts turn to the community art studio tour and away from her book addiction. What follows is approximately a month and a half of panicked art-making accompanied by an attempt to make a year's worth of chaos in the garden and workshop look presentable to visitors.

I'm not certain whether my wavering interest in The Devious Dr. Jekyll is due entirely to artsy distractions or if the book just wasn't that good. Best guess? A bit of both.<
Jaclyn
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Devious Dr. Jekyll is the follow up to Carr’s The Diabolical Miss Hyde in which the daughter(s) of Mr. Hyde are introduced. Sharing the same body are Dr. Eliza Jekyll, forensic investigator and physician, and Miss Lizzie Hyde, a gin swilling, crass speaking, unapologetic young woman. Eliza and Lizzie continue to be at odds with one another, both reluctant to give the other more control. However, their mutual existence is compromised with a new killer on the loose, a marriage proposal, and a return o ...more
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Dr. Eliza Jekyll lives a complicated life, her fame on the solving the “Chopper” case earning her the recognition she deserves, but with secrets as dark and dangerous as hers, any deep scrutiny could leave her burning at the stake. And being courted by Royal Society agent and wolfman Captain Remy Lafayette, the man her darker half Lizzie Hyde longs for doesn’t make her life any easier. Especially when the good captain offers her something she can’t resist; a gruesome murder to investigate. Wi
Anna
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I really liked Viola Carr's initial installment in this Electric Empire series. Who can resist some gothic steampunk set in an alternative universe London where Sir Isaac Newton has become immortal, the Queen is his puppet on a string and he rules London with an iron fist and legions of automatons? Add a razor-wielding lunatic, other-worldly personality splits, black alchemy and gruesome murders and it's difficult to go wrong.

Unfortunately, the second installment does not quite live
Roxanne Rhoads
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love new stories based on old tales, especially ones that give them new twists, and new characters mixed in with a familiar face here and there.

The Electric Empire series is a gender swapped Jekyll and Hyde tale set in alternate Victorian era featuring steampunk elements along with some supernatural creatures, magic, alchemy, and sorcery.

Murder, mayhem, mystery and romance keep you glued to the page.
Sharkie
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favourite out of the trilogy. It was just so visually stunning, the descriptions of everything were on point, and the characters were brilliant.

Seeing Lizzie fight back against Eliza was brilliant, as it's what you'd expect from two opposite sides of the same coin. Though I did really want to see a buddy cop kinda deal with the two of them.

Basically, seriously good fun.
David H. Millar
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The second book in Viola Carr's Victorian steampunk series is well worth a read.
Under the Covers Book Blog
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it

Dr. Eliza Jekyll lives a complicated life, her fame on the solving the "Chopper" case earning her the recognition she deserves, but with secrets as dark and dangerous as hers, any deep scrutiny could leave her burning at the stake. And being courted by Royal Society agent and wolfman Captain Remy Lafayette, the man her darker half Lizzie Hyde longs for doesn't make her life any easier. Especially when the good captain offers her something she can't resist; a gruesome murder to investigate. Wit

Jennifer  (BTH Reviews)
The Devious Dr. Jeckyll is a fun adventure in a fascinating steampunk world filled with mystery, romance, and fantasy. Told from the perspectives of both Eliza Jeckyll and Lizzie Hyde, the story moves quickly toward the goal of catching a ritualistic serial killer. For Eliza, the story focuses on Eliza’s need to prove herself as a detective, her fear of exposure, her twisted attraction to the killer Mr. Todd, and her relationship with Remy. For Lizzie, the story concentrates on her desire to win ...more
Amy A
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5

Originally posted at Vampire Book Club

Unfortunately unmasking the Chopper on her previous case failed to gain Eliza any more credibility within the medical/police community. In fact, coupled with the fact that in apprehending the Chopper Eliza let famed serial murderer Razor Jack escape from the asylum he was imprisoned in, and her reputation has actually come under more scrutiny from the populace.

On top of all this, she’s still unsure of what to do about the unexpect
Abooktopia
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing

The Devious Dr. Jekyll is yet another complex and intriguing story filled with mystery with it’s enthralling discoveries that are the perfect blend of historical and literary characters in one. – Abooktopia

The Devious Dr. Jekyll is the sequel to Viola Carr’s ‘The Diabolical Miss Hyde’, which is an extension of the infamous tale of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde that follows the story of his daughter Dr. Eliza Jekyll and her dark side Miss Lizzie Hyde who resides within her.

Sharing the same body, Dr. Eliza Jekyllhttp://abooktopia.weebly.com
Karissa
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it

This is the second book in the Electric Empire series by Viola Carr. This was a well done continuation of this extension of the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde story. I enjoyed the mystery, the steampunk elements, and the references to classical literature throughout.

Dr. Eliza Jekyll has established a name for herself in the male dominated field of forensic science. However, some of the leading males in the field are still belittling her contributions. Then Remy Lafayette asks for Eliza’s he
Christina
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Popsugar 2018 Reading Challenge: A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to.

(I was this close to picking it for "ugly cover" because I really, really hate this cover.)

I really loved The Diabolical Miss Hyde, so I was a smidge disappointed in the sequel. Some of the strengths were still there: Lizzie (by far the more appealing half of the duo), Lizzie's underworld friends and acquaintances, the literary references and the pulpy nature of the whole thing. Some of th
The Book Adventures
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kara
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, punk-steam

When you’ve already used Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to explore issues of dichotomy, what public domain work do you turn to next? (view spoiler)

The mystery is loaded with mutilated bodies, art theft (of all kinds), Satanic rituals, Mad Science, and an undercurrent of revolution.

That was great by itself – I was delighted by the twists at the end – but on top of that the book gets into themes of want vs nee
Kes
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2017, fiction
Probably not going to read more of this series.

The characters wore on me and I stopped caring about them. I found Remy increasingly irritating. The tension between Lizzie and Eliza felt poorly handled (they're 26 years old! Grow up). The everyday anger about sexism felt... boring to read (ok, you can be angry every day, but it's exhausting to read). The banter - while amusing - didn't charm me (but rather, felt like it started to weigh the plot down). I might not have given this book a fair cha
Cecilia Dominic
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, steampunk
The second volume in the Electric Empire series finds Eliza Jekyll more at odds with her dark side Lizzie Hyde than in the first book, which provides for some delightfully awkward and suspenseful moments. This book has a very twisty plot, and the author did a fabulous job of tying it all together in the end with a twist I didn't anticipate. I won't spoil it for you but can't recommend the continuation of this series highly enough.
Ariel
"You horrid man," she snarled. "You can't experiment on people without their consent. It's unethical!"

Really, Eliza? This is what you say to a man who is two seconds away from killing you? Really? *sigh*

How to review a book where you are completely smitten with the alter ego of the main character...and literally roll your eyes whenever the main character graces the page? Oy.

RTC.
Louisa
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome sequel! Loved reading it (though there were bits where I had to slow down and reread a bit because there was a lot going on!) and it was just so freaking good! So glad that the author has mentioned that she's writing book #3!!!!
Abby
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first. You can tell by how long it took me to read that I just wasn't into it. Too many intertwined plots and characters. The whole dual-persons thing got a bit tiring after halfway through. Overall, a disappointment, especially after how much I loved the first.
Amy Braun
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eliza and Lizzie are back, and better than ever! The story was much stronger and more exciting, the drama and relationships more engaging, and the magic more plentiful. I was able to dive right into the story and follow the characters and their new troubles. I found the mystery equally as thrilling and engaging as its predecessor.

I loved all the characters, and was delighted to learn more about Lafeyette and Finch. Lafeyette's story/family turned out to be quite important in a twist that I didn
Brittany
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this book probably deserves 4.5 stars but of course that's not an option so I'm going to go with 4. I'm not sure if it was just be having a bad time outside of my book world or what but I stopped halfway through for a while. I want to say it's because of me and not the book. Once I picked it back up though, I finished in two days so I feel it was probably me being a weirdo.

I love Remy...I'm still not sure if I like Eliza...not sure if I like Lizzie.

I don't know...something about this o
Marie Piper
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
THE DEVIOUS DR. JEKYLL (Second book in the series) honestly starts a little slow, setting up a whole new case for our heroine & crew to solve, but when it takes off, dude...It takes off. I'm all in for this series, for brilliant Eliza and hot-blooded Lizzie, and Remy and Finch and Mr. Todd (more of him, please!) and all the rest of Viola Carr's stunningly written misfits. This was almost as thrilling as the first book -- so I'm off to order the third book right now!
Chad
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoy the series and the characters. The one thing that frustrates me is how Todd is so attractive to Eliza. He's a murdering psycho and yet she's stuck following the old trope of trying to reform the bad boy. At least Lizzie has the sense to try and avoid him. But other than that, and the fact that the author uses American spellings, the story is entertaining.

Lots of literary characters pop up in the series, with different spins on them making things uncertain when they show
Sara Q
For some reason I really had to slog my way through this one, though don't get me wrong -- it still had several great parts. And I'm continuing right into the third book in hopes that we'll finally see Lizzie and Eliza merge into one healthy person ... I just hope the third book doesn't drag us through more of the same.
Doris
I thought this would be a great story, but it contained so much unneeded vulgarity that I was unable to finish it. The language made the actual story harder to comprehend, and I gave up trying and returned it to the library unfinished.

Zero stars
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 02, 2015 06:38PM

• Lace and Lies (Vampire Knitting Club #7)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • Beyond Willpower: The Secret Principle to Achieving Success in Life, Love, and Happiness
  • Sword and Pen (The Great Library, #5)
  • Raven, Red (Lion and Raven #1)
  • Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels, #9)
  • The Shadow Queen (The Black Jewels, #7)
  • Shalador's Lady (The Black Jewels, #8)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • A Witch in Time (Wicked Witches of the Midwest Fantasy)
  • The House of Shattered Wings (Dominion of the Fallen, #1)
  • Stone Mad (Karen Memory, #2)
  • Close Encounters of the Witchy Kind (Wicked Witches of the Midwest Fantasy #6)
  • All My Witches (A Wicked Witches of the Midwest Fantasy #5)
  • Only The Lost (Death Gate Grim Reapers Thriller, #3)
  • A Witchmas Carol (Wicked Witches of the Midwest Fantasy)
  • The Deepest Blue
  • Make A Witch (Wicked Witches of the Midwest Fantasy)

Electric Empire (3 books)
  • The Diabolical Miss Hyde (Electric Empire, #1)
  • The Dastardly Miss Lizzie (Electric Empire, #3)
“A human face isn’t strongly attached to the skull. Cut around the edge, it’ll just peel off.” 1 likes
“Don’t mean I have to pissfart about, weeping into my porridge like a jilted dolly. I” 0 likes