Jump to ratings and reviews

Electric Empire #2

The Devious Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Eliza Jekyll, heroine of the electrifying The Diabolical Miss Hyde—an edgy steampunk retelling of the classic Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde—investigates a bizarre murder case in an alternate Victorian London while battling her treacherous secret half: Lizzie Hyde.

Solving the infamous Chopper case has helped crime scene physician Dr. Eliza Jekyll establish her fledgling career in the chauvinistic world of Victorian law enforcement. But the scrutiny that comes with her newfound fame is unwelcome for a woman with a diabolical secret. And there is the mercurial Royal Society agent and wolf man Remy Lafayette. Does he want to marry her, eat her, or burn her at the stake? Though Eliza is uncertain about Remy, her dark and jealous shadow self, Lizzie, wants to steal the magnetic and persistent agent, and usurp Eliza’s life.

It’s impossible to push Remy away when he tempts her with the one thing she can’t resist: a bizarre crime. The search for a bloodthirsty ritual torturer dubbed the Pentacle Killer draws them into a terrifying world of spies, art thieves, and evil alchemy, where the price of immortality is madness?or damnation—and only Lizzie’s dark ingenuity can help Eliza survive.

As Eliza and Remy race to thwart a foul conspiracy involving the sorcerous French, they must also overcome a sinister enemy who is all too close: the vengeful Lizzie, determined to dispose of Eliza for good.

464 pages, ebook

4 books185 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 87 reviews
Profile Image for Mei.
1,879 reviews403 followers
May 30, 2017

It took me a lot to finish this book because it was really bizarre!

The way the main characters were acting, the writing style, the multitude of secondary characters... everything was... bizarre!

At the beginning I thought I understood what's been happening, but soon I lost track and, I must admit, several times I thought about DNF, but I remember that I felt like that also during the first book, so I persevered and it was worth it!

At the end I understood why of all that bizarreness (is that even a word???).

Eliza is experiencing a severe case of bipolar personality! If you're familiar with Dr. Jackill and Mr. Hyde's story you know that it is an ode to bipolar, where the personalities are not percieved, but real! And here it's the same: Eliza Jackill and Lizzie Hyde - the good and he bad. The conformist and the rebel. The conformist and the unconventional. The strickt and the lustfull.

So, it's not strange that Eliza's actions are unhinged!

At the beginning she's acting like an almost normal person, obviously with her Lizzie-problem it is not easy, but she's managing. Unfortunately, since she wants the cure she begins taking potions that only exacerbate the problems. And not only that! Her alter-ego, Lizzie, is becoming crazier and crazier too!

Therefore her actions become more and more hectic. Her reasoning and resulting actions do not make sense.

So the action was jumping from Eliza's POV to Lizzie's POV and it was like looking into a war beween to enemies, where one want to destroy the other without recognizing that it will destroy both of them! Literally!!!

Put into this situation the presence of a serial killer , of a love interest, Remy and his own alter ago, the werewolf, of the police who doesn't want to believe her, of the father who's abandoned his good personality and you risk not understanding what's going on!

Still, I must admit that, even if I had a huge desire to DNF, I'm happy to have kept reading, because all this managed to convey exactly her state, her difficulties.

... I sill have a problem with a pet-peeve of mine: the onomatopoeias. The books was difficult to read even without them, but they made things even more difficult!!!
Profile Image for Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede.
1,910 reviews763 followers
September 19, 2017
Dr. Eliza Jekyll (and Lizzie Hyde) and Remy Lafayette are back in The Devious Dr. Jekyll, the sequel to the fantastic The Diabolical Miss Hyde. Once again they have to team up to find a killer, this time, a ritual torturer called the Pentacle Killer. But, there is an enemy that could very well destroy Eliza, and it's not the dangerous Razor Jack who escaped in the confrontation at the end of the last book. No, the enemy is much closer. Much…much closer…

To say that I was very eager to read this book is an understatement. This is by far one of my favorite Steampunk series. But, actually, that isn't saying so much because despite liking the genre I do not read much Steampunk and for two good reasons. First, and most, I so damn sick and tired of vampires! Steampunk and vampires seem to go hand in hand in a way that I just can't understand. I can take anything, zombies, werewolves, monsters whatever, but please no more vampires. Secondly, the damn romance thing, with of course a lot of sex scenes because a book must have at least 250-200 pages and if the plot is razor thin, why not fill it out with sex.Gah!

This book, however, has a plot, an interesting, complex, and enthralling plot (and no vampires). I especially enjoyed reading this book because of the mix of historical characters with literary characters. The mystery is intriguing and Viola Carr has created great characters. Poor Eliza has to fight with Lizzie her devious counterpart who is yearning to be free. Remy Lafayette has his own secret and then there is Mr. Todd, Razor Jack, the dangerous serial killer who seem to be quite taken with Eliza, and her with him, although her fascination with him could be based on a wish to cure him because if she can perhaps, then she can cure herself…

I was a bit surprised of Eliza's and Remy's “relationship”. In the first book I got the feeling it was Lizzie he liked most, but in this, it seemed that Eliza was the one he is after. But then again, they are the same person and it would perhaps be easier to have a relationship with the one in “control”. Personally, I'm not totally sold when it comes to their relationship. I do prefer her more dangerous bond with Razor Jack. But, then again, he is a serial killer so perhaps Remy is better for her (although he has his own problem…hmm)…

I loved this book and I hope for a third book soon!

Read this review and others on A Bookaholic Swede
Profile Image for Shelley.
5,102 reviews458 followers
October 21, 2015
**I received this book for free from (Publisher) via (Edelweiss) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Steampunk, Fantasy, Romance
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

The Devious Dr. Jekyll is the second installment in Viola Carr's Electric Empire series. Following in the footsteps of The Diabolical Miss Hyde, Dr. Eliza Jekyll returns to more shenanigans, more intrigue, more mystery, suspense and romance in what is being called a retelling of the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mister Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. The Electric Empire is set to the background of an alternative Victorian London where steam rules, and monsters of both human and supernatural variety skulk in the darkness. One of those dark creatures is Lizzie Hyde who shares the same body with Dr. Jekyll.

*Full Review Posted @ Gizmos Reviews 10/21/2015*

Expected publication: October 27th 2015 by Harper Voyager
Profile Image for Karen.
129 reviews53 followers
January 30, 2017
I was really disappointed in this book. Eliza became downright unlikeable and yet every male she sees falls in love with her. And when did it become okay for her to basically carry on a relationship with a convicted murder who kills someone for her but everything anyone else is doing is completely wrong? I also got a little sick of Remy being constantly in love with her and how she could do no wrong. It was over the top ridiculous. The Dorian Gray twist was cool but unfortunately a little late in coming, honestly by then I was over anything Eliza was doing and only cared about the Lizzie parts, which were few and far between. I don't know if I could read another book if this is the mood that the books will have now, but if a third book went back to the way the first book was I might consider it, just in the hopes alone somehow Johnny and Lizzie can make it work.

Bottom line, I was disappointed in Eliza's character and because of that I won't reread this or recommend it.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for P. Kirby.
Author 3 books69 followers
May 14, 2019
It's springtime, a time when a not-so-young artist's thoughts turn to the community art studio tour and away from her book addiction. What follows is approximately a month and a half of panicked art-making accompanied by an attempt to make a year's worth of chaos in the garden and workshop look presentable to visitors.

I'm not certain whether my wavering interest in The Devious Dr. Jekyll is due entirely to artsy distractions or if the book just wasn't that good. Best guess? A bit of both.

Previously, in The Diabolical Miss Hyde, we met upright Dr. Eliza Jekyll and her criminal-minded alter-ego Lizzie Hyde. Thanks to some sort of potion, Eliza and Lizzie, both spawn of the male Jekyll/Hyde, inhabit the same body. Rather like antagonistic roommates who usually fight over housekeeping, but on rare occasions do each other favors.

Eliza's primary vocation is forensic examiner for the police, a difficult job because she is a woman and her split personality, if revealed, could get her tossed into the torture chambers of the Royal Society, a powerful organization devoted to hunting bad magic. As with the previous book, there is civil unrest brewing. Unfortunately, too much time elapsed between reading The Diabolical Miss Hyde, and the political machinations were often confusing.

As with the previous novel, this is mystery, with the requisite gory murders. Unfortunately, this time around the primary mystery was overwhelmed by an excess of subplots, as well as various throwaway characters. The witty banter between Eliza and Remy, her paramour and nemesis, lost its edge, dulled by Remy's lovesick mooning over Eliza. Lizzie, vicious and fun before, was just angry, and her street dialect hard to follow. Even Hippocrates, Eliza's adorable clockwork pet, lost his mojo.

And yet, I was entertained while reading, even if, setting the book down, I didn't hurry back. I picked the book up every couple of days or so, and often struggled to remember what happened previously. But I never got the urge to DNF and move on.

A very mixed bag of inventive steampunk world building, dark and gory mystery, and strong female characters mired down by muddled plotting.
Profile Image for Jaclyn.
780 reviews167 followers
October 13, 2015
The Devious Dr. Jekyll is the follow up to Carr’s The Diabolical Miss Hyde in which the daughter(s) of Mr. Hyde are introduced. Sharing the same body are Dr. Eliza Jekyll, forensic investigator and physician, and Miss Lizzie Hyde, a gin swilling, crass speaking, unapologetic young woman. Eliza and Lizzie continue to be at odds with one another, both reluctant to give the other more control. However, their mutual existence is compromised with a new killer on the loose, a marriage proposal, and a return of an old foe (at least in Lizzie’s eyes).

I had mixed feelings about the first book in the series. I simply couldn’t wrap my head around the idea that Eliza and Lizzie are sharing one body but are still two separate entities. For me, this whole idea is problematic – I have so many questions. Does what’s happening to one happen to the other? What does this mean in the romance department? Unfortunately, this doesn’t really get answered in The Devious Dr. Jekyll, but I’m going to roll with it and forget about reality and the impossibility of the whole situation.

Like it’s previous installment, The Devious Dr. Jekyll is centered on a mystery. Someone’s murdering folk in gruesome, unnatural ways. After burning her bridges with the police, Eliza is asked by Captain Remy Lafayette to join his investigation into the less conventional aspects of the murder. Eliza is up for the challenge, but she’s less enthused to be working with Remy as she still has not given him an answer to his marriage proposal. He’s a werewolf, she has another person living inside her, plus she’s kinda intrigued by a redheaded serial killer. This marriage would work, right? Right? It soon becomes clear that Eliza has much bigger problems than figuring out if she wants to marry the charming Captain. The murders are part of a much bigger problem and Eliza has just found herself in the middle of it.

For the most part, I found The Devious Dr. Jekyll to be a strong follow-up; in fact, I enjoyed reading it a lot more than I did the previous book. The mystery was stronger; the characterization of Eliza and Lizzie was better executed and less confusing. In fact, it’s the dynamic between Eliza and Lizzie that had me coming back and held my attention throughout book two. I’m so intrigued by the characterization of Eliza/Lizzie. Are they one person? Separate women? It’s something that both Eliza and Lizzie struggle with, but Lizzie in particular feels resentful as she’s generally the one in the shadows:

I’ve always been the lesser half, wallowing in dirt and decadence while Eliza keeps pure…but now a poxy plague itch plagues my flesh, this diseased notion that no, Miss Lizzie, you ain’t half a person at all.

You’re no person.

A shadow. An empty cipher. A figment of some ugly dream she’s having while tucked safely away in bed. Come morning, she’ll recall fragments – my voice, liquor’s dark flavor, the starlit shock of a caress – and a shiver will rack her spine…then she’ll turn her face to the sun, and forget me.

The whole concept of identity and individuality as it’s explored in The Devious Dr. Jekyll is done really, really well. Lizzie is incensed that she is constantly repudiated by Eliza and Eliza for her part, looks down on Lizzie. However, both women have reluctantly recognized that they need each other, even if the idea of a miraculous cure is tempting.

While Lizzie feels a distinct lack of agency and acts out, Eliza is not without her flaws. Eliza is presented as a the more noble of the two, but I think it’s in her flaws that you can appreciate the fact that Eliza and Lizzie are separate people. Like Lizzie, Eliza makes some bad calls (really bad calls) and they have terrible consequences. With both women making mistakes, it’s very clear that they’re not two sides of the same coin, but something else entirely. Eliza and Lizzie’s existence cannot be captured with a simple explanation and it’s that hint of something more complex that keeps me intrigued. While The Devious Dr. Jekyll may have ended with a bit of truce between the ladies, I can’t help but assume that it's unlikely to last long.

What I was less thrilled about was the romance. Readers of the first book will recall that The Diabolical Miss Hyde concluded with Remy’s proposal to Eliza. Lizzie is not happy about this proposal or Remy’s continued courting of Eliza. And, I have to admit that I don’t blame Lizzie. I’m left feeling underwhelmed and less than convinced that Remy actually wants to marry Eliza – I’m just not sure if I buy into his proposal. And neither am I convinced that Eliza has any real feelings for Remy (she was attracted to a creepy serial killer after all). The chemistry between Eliza and Remy seems to be missing, which I think will be a disappointment to those looking for a stronger romance in The Devious Dr. Jekyll. The romance does progress further than in book one, but I’m not sold on it quite yet. Perhaps this will be addressed in the next book.

If you've read and enjoyed the previous book, I think there’s a lot to like in its follow-up. Eliza and Lizzie and their very complicated relationship continues to impress, add in a fast-paced action-driven plot and you’ve good a strong read. The alternate history elements are understated, but the inclusion of great classic fiction elements (i.e. Portrait of Dorian Grey anyone?) makes overt references unnecessary.

Originally reviewed at The Book Adventures.

*Review copy provided by the publisher via Edelweiss.
Profile Image for Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog).
1,730 reviews534 followers
December 30, 2015

Dr. Eliza Jekyll lives a complicated life, her fame on the solving the “Chopper” case earning her the recognition she deserves, but with secrets as dark and dangerous as hers, any deep scrutiny could leave her burning at the stake. And being courted by Royal Society agent and wolfman Captain Remy Lafayette, the man her darker half Lizzie Hyde longs for doesn’t make her life any easier. Especially when the good captain offers her something she can’t resist; a gruesome murder to investigate. With french agents, dark rituals, theft and plots afoot Eliza may be way over her head, especially as the murderer on the lose on London isn’t the one one intent on doing her harm; Lizzie has had enough of living in the shadows…

I barely know where to being with this review, Viola Carr has given us a book packed to the brim full of murder, mayhem and dark twisted plots all with Eliza and Lizzie stuck in the middle. The Devious Dr. Jekyll really ups the ante and surpasses the first book in the series for storytelling, excitement and character development, riveting me to my kindle from start to finish.

What I have found utterly fascinating in these books in the relationship between Eliza and Lizzie, two different souls living within the same body, both fighting for dominance, both having a little something that the other lacks. In The Devious Dr. Jekyll this battle between them and the resentment it brings is really brought to light. It’s heart breaking, like watching two sisters viciously fighting and cruelly hurting one another like no one else can. I especially feel for Lizzie, the darker of the two hidden away like a dirty secret:

I’ve always been the lesser half, wallowing in dirt and decadence while Eliza keeps pure.

But now a poxy itch plagues my flesh, this diseased notion that no, Miss Lizzie, you ain’t half a person after all. You’re no person. A shadow. An empty cipher. A figment of some ugly dream she’r having, while tucked safely in bed. Come morning, she’ll recall fragments, my voice, liquor’s dark flavour, the starlit shock of a caress- and a shiver will rack her spine

Then she’ll turn her face to the sun, and forget me. And I’ll vanish. Ashes on a breeze. .. I’m part of her. Why does she HATE me so much?

The more of this series I read I find, despite being a romance junkie, that THIS is the relationship I truely want to have a HEA. In fact, the romance or attempted romance in this book is what has stopped me giving it top marks, Remy’s proposal or marriage for Eliza and his love for her falls flat for me. There is no chemistry between them, zero spark, there are more fireworks between Lizzie and Remy, all because of her hopeless longing, and the strange twisted infatuation between Eliza and Mr Todd aka Razor Jack serial killer. But between Eliza and Remy, nothing. I don’t know if this is deliberate ploy from Ms Carr, part of some greater plot, or if this is supposed to be a genuine romance; I really hope it is the former as I am not buying the latter.

But romance isn’t the main focus on this book, the twisted relationships between Eliza, Lizzie, Remy and various other characters tangle further as a result of nefarious happenings in London. Gruesome murders, art theft and a dark and sinister french scheme all mix together in this book to form a complicated and exciting plot that makes this book thrilling and exciting. The more that is revealed the more complicated and impossible it seems to be, making The Devious Dr. Jekyll exciting and hard to put down.

I really enjoyed this book, it manages to be exiting and intriguing whilst also capturing your emotions as you watch Lizzie and Eliza struggle against one another, never seeming to realise that they always stronger when they are together. I now can’t wait to read the next book in Viola Carr’s Electric Empire series.

She need me, to do the things she can’t – and to swallow the guilt, too, like sweet fairy absinthe, because without me, it’d kill her. But I need her, too. To keep me from sliding into endless darkness. I’m the shadow in her heart the rotting portrait of her soul. But I’m more than that. I ain’t just half a person. We’re two people knotted into one. And for good or ill, we can’t be undone.
Profile Image for Anna.
91 reviews13 followers
May 17, 2016
I really liked Viola Carr's initial installment in this Electric Empire series. Who can resist some gothic steampunk set in an alternative universe London where Sir Isaac Newton has become immortal, the Queen is his puppet on a string and he rules London with an iron fist and legions of automatons? Add a razor-wielding lunatic, other-worldly personality splits, black alchemy and gruesome murders and it's difficult to go wrong.

Unfortunately, the second installment does not quite live up to the expectations. The first part of the novel plods a bit, there is character disagreement which could be solved with one adult conversation, yet that doesn't materialise. The main mystery is well done, but gets strangely side-lined at the end. I'm also somewhat baffled with the hero's constantly great mood, although he has a host of issues and past traumas. We see him briefly in a less than great state of mind, but that's almost never touched upon again, and it ends up being the heroine who has all sorts of issues, imaginary and otherwise, which then gets centre stage constantly, even if, in many ways, the hero's issues are far more severe and potentially lethal.

On top of this, there are a couple of plot holes large enough to drive a steam-driven omnibus through.

While especially Lizzie's sections feel like Steampunk London and uses a lot of slang for local flavour, it's frustrating that "honor", "color" etc. are Americanised. It really breaks the immersion that people talking about flash houses, someone being a "swell dipper" and the gin they're going to consume suddenly pop out words with American spelling.

There are also a few issues with what I feel are not particularly British (like the constant references to "traffic" instead of "congestion"). Some parts seem very well researched and appear to me to be very well done, while other's feel as they could use better editing, and a British editing at that. Given that I am not British, I imagine that there are a lot of details I missed, too.

I will still continue following this series, but I do hope the next installment gets a better editing and fewer plot-holes.
Profile Image for Roxanne Rhoads.
Author 56 books252 followers
October 5, 2017
I love new stories based on old tales, especially ones that give them new twists, and new characters mixed in with a familiar face here and there.

The Electric Empire series is a gender swapped Jekyll and Hyde tale set in alternate Victorian era featuring steampunk elements along with some supernatural creatures, magic, alchemy, and sorcery.

Murder, mayhem, mystery and romance keep you glued to the page.
Profile Image for Sharkie.
446 reviews
August 5, 2019
This was my favourite out of the trilogy. It was just so visually stunning, the descriptions of everything were on point, and the characters were brilliant.

Seeing Lizzie fight back against Eliza was brilliant, as it's what you'd expect from two opposite sides of the same coin. Though I did really want to see a buddy cop kinda deal with the two of them.

Basically, seriously good fun.
Profile Image for Under the Covers Book Blog.
2,818 reviews1,364 followers
November 8, 2015

Dr. Eliza Jekyll lives a complicated life, her fame on the solving the "Chopper" case earning her the recognition she deserves, but with secrets as dark and dangerous as hers, any deep scrutiny could leave her burning at the stake. And being courted by Royal Society agent and wolfman Captain Remy Lafayette, the man her darker half Lizzie Hyde longs for doesn't make her life any easier. Especially when the good captain offers her something she can't resist; a gruesome murder to investigate. With french agents, dark rituals, theft and plots afoot Eliza may be way over her head, especially as the murderer on the lose on London isn't the one one intent on doing her harm; Lizzie has had enough of living in the shadows...

What I have found utterly fascinating in these books in the relationship between Eliza and Lizzie, two different souls living within the same body, both fighting for dominance, both having a little something that the other lacks. In The Devious Dr. Jekyll this battle between them and the resentment it brings is really brought to light. It's heart breaking, like watching two sisters viciously fighting and cruelly hurting one another like no one else can. I especially feel for Lizzie, the darker of the two hidden away like a dirty secret:

I've always been the lesser half, wallowing in dirt and decadence while Eliza keeps pure.

But now a poxy itch plagues my flesh, this diseased notion that no, Miss Lizzie, you ain't half a person after all. You're no person. A shadow. An empty cipher. A figment of some ugly dream she'r having, while tucked safely in bed. Come morning, she'll recall fragments, my voice, liquor's dark flavour, the starlit shock of a caress- and a shiver will rack her spine

Then she'll turn her face to the sun, and forget me. And I'll vanish. Ashes on a breeze. .. I'm part of her. Why does she HATE me so much?
spacer

The more of this series I read I find, despite being a romance junkie, that THIS is the relationship I truely want to have a HEA. In fact, the romance or attempted romance in this book is what has stopped me giving it top marks, Remy's proposal or marriage for Eliza and his love for her falls flat for me. There is no chemistry between them, zero spark, there are more fireworks between Lizzie and Remy, all because of her hopeless longing, and the strange twisted infatuation between Eliza and Mr Todd aka Razor Jack serial killer. But between Eliza and Remy, nothing. I don't know if this is deliberate ploy from Ms Carr, part of some greater plot, or if this is supposed to be a genuine romance; I really hope it is the former as I am not buying the latter.

But romance isn't the main focus on this book, the twisted relationships between Eliza, Lizzie, Remy and various other characters tangle further as a result of nefarious happenings in London. Gruesome murders, art theft and a dark and sinister french scheme all mix together in this book to form a complicated and exciting plot that makes this book thrilling and exciting. The more that is revealed the more complicated and impossible it seems to be, making The Devious Dr. Jekyll exciting and hard to put down.

I really enjoyed this book, it manages to be exiting and intriguing whilst also capturing your emotions as you watch Lizzie and Eliza struggle against one another, never seeming to realise that they always stronger when they are together. I now can't wait to read the next book in Viola Carr's Electric Empire series.

She need me, to do the things she can't - and to swallow the guilt, too, like sweet fairy absinthe, because without me, it'd kill her. But I need her, too. To keep me from sliding into endless darkness. I'm the shadow in her heart the rotting portrait of her soul. But I'm more than that. I ain't just half a person. We're two people knotted into one. And for good or ill, we can't be undone.

*ARC provided by publisher

Reviewed by Suzanne

❤ ♡ Don't want to miss any of our posts? Subscribe to our blog by email! ♡ ❤

Profile Image for Jennifer  (BTH Reviews).
498 reviews18 followers
May 8, 2017
The Devious Dr. Jeckyll is a fun adventure in a fascinating steampunk world filled with mystery, romance, and fantasy. Told from the perspectives of both Eliza Jeckyll and Lizzie Hyde, the story moves quickly toward the goal of catching a ritualistic serial killer. For Eliza, the story focuses on Eliza’s need to prove herself as a detective, her fear of exposure, her twisted attraction to the killer Mr. Todd, and her relationship with Remy. For Lizzie, the story concentrates on her desire to win Remy’s affection, how she feels about herself and her identity, and a murder she witnesses. I enjoyed reading this story; I recommend it to anyone who likes gritty mysteries that include fantasy elements.

My full review can be read on my blog: http://booksthathook.com/devious-dr-j...
Profile Image for Amy A.
1,616 reviews22 followers
November 9, 2015
4.5

Originally posted at Vampire Book Club

Unfortunately unmasking the Chopper on her previous case failed to gain Eliza any more credibility within the medical/police community. In fact, coupled with the fact that in apprehending the Chopper Eliza let famed serial murderer Razor Jack escape from the asylum he was imprisoned in, and her reputation has actually come under more scrutiny from the populace.

On top of all this, she’s still unsure of what to do about the unexpected marriage proposal from one Royal Agent Captain Remy Lafayette. Does he really love her as he claims? Or are his affections only a ploy to get close to her in order to inform on her to his superiors? Regardless of this, when Remy asks her to consult on a case she can’t turn it down. Her inquisitive nature just won’t let her, plus she could use the work. Yet, Eliza’s scientific sensibilities are put to the test when the murdered man is reportedly part of a dark magic coven.

Of course we can’t forget to mention Lizzie. It seems the ways in which Eliza tries to keep Lizzie at bay are growing, and still she continues to fight and claw her way into existence. Even though they fight each other for dominance in one body, they’ll soon learn that maybe it’s better to work together than going at it alone.

There’s a lot that’s going on at the start of Devious. Viola Carr handles everything really well though and I never once thought that it got too muddled. The story doesn’t depart too much from its predecessor’s territory. Eliza finds herself embroiled in a mystery to solve, while still trying to keep her alter ego a secret. With the first book giving a big nod to Shelley’s Frankenstein (not to mention the source material for the series as a whole), I was surprised when I suddenly realized what classic Viola Carr wove into this story. Unfortunately for spoiler’s sake I can’t let you know which book Carr pays homage to here, but rest assured she does it in a cleverly crafted way.

At the center of this story, of course, is the Eliza/Lizzie dynamic. I continue to love this (these) character(s). Separately, together, doesn’t matter. The way they play off one another is great. The way both are so determined to be “free” from the other, but invariably they call upon each other for help more than once, and they are truly each other’s only friend. Eliza is the more levelheaded of the two, but because of Lizzie’s more wild nature she tries desperately to keep Eliza out of trouble by making the more unsavory decisions.

I’m really interested to see how Carr ultimately completes Eliza/Lizzie’s stories. We know what happened in the end with their father, and I don’t know if it would be possible for them to live harmoniously, but the alternative is….

While I think Diabolical was a bit stronger for me, Devious still delivers. This has been a wonderfully surprising debut series this year. Now, I’m off to brush up on my Gothic fiction before the next book.
Profile Image for Abooktopia.
56 reviews47 followers
November 8, 2016

The Devious Dr. Jekyll is yet another complex and intriguing story filled with mystery with it’s enthralling discoveries that are the perfect blend of historical and literary characters in one. – Abooktopia

The Devious Dr. Jekyll is the sequel to Viola Carr’s ‘The Diabolical Miss Hyde’, which is an extension of the infamous tale of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde that follows the story of his daughter Dr. Eliza Jekyll and her dark side Miss Lizzie Hyde who resides within her.

Sharing the same body, Dr. Eliza Jekyll, a forensic investigator, continues to be at odds with her other half, Miss Lizzie Hyde who lurks in the shadows at night as an unapologetic woman who knows nothing of boundaries. Both reluctant to give the other dominance over their shared body, they must learn to work together when their mutual existence could be compromised with a serial killer on the loose, followed by uncanny rituals. As Eliza comes to uncover the truth behind the mystery of the gruesome and unnatural killings, her darker side, Lizzie, has grown restless of living in the shadows… But that’s not the only issue. There is more to the murders than anyone ever could suspect. It soon becomes clear that the murders are part of a bigger picture that could have deadly consequences, and Eliza is caught up in the middle of it all.

Overall, this book is packed to the brim, full of murder, mystery and mayhem with dark twists turning everything you know upside down. Eliza and Lizzie’s complicated relationship continues to be full of surprises. Despite them sharing the same body, the two characters prove to be completely different entitles with their own unique and dynamic personalities where they each have different characteristics that define them.

***I received a personalised signed copy of this book in return for an honest and unbiased review***
Profile Image for Karissa.
3,865 reviews189 followers
March 17, 2016

This is the second book in the Electric Empire series by Viola Carr. This was a well done continuation of this extension of the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde story. I enjoyed the mystery, the steampunk elements, and the references to classical literature throughout.

Dr. Eliza Jekyll has established a name for herself in the male dominated field of forensic science. However, some of the leading males in the field are still belittling her contributions. Then Remy Lafayette asks for Eliza’s help on solving what is becoming known as the Pentacle Killer murders. Eliza is excited to have the chance to prove herself on another case, but also leery of being involved on a case that involves working with Remy too closely. Remy knows many of Eliza’s dangerous secrets and their attraction to each other doesn’t make things any easier.

There are lots of fun steampunk elements, mystery, action, and some romance here. I enjoyed the characters and the mystery a lot and continue to enjoy the theme of good vs evil within one's own personality.

The book has a very Sherlock Holmes feel to it with some paranormal elements woven in. This book brings in the whole Dorian Grey type of storyline in addition to continuing some of the Sweeney Todd storyline that started in the first book. I love how all these different pieces of classic Victorian literature are woven in the story.

The whole book has an underlying theme of people trying to separate the dark in their personalities out from the light. It’s an interesting theme and one that is explored well in this book.

The story is tied up nicely and I am curious as to whether or not there will be future books in this series.

Overall a well done continuation of this Victorian steampunk series. I enjoyed the mystery, the characters, and all the references to other classic Victorian horror books. I would love to read more books in this series and would recommend to fans of Sherlock Holmes style mysteries and steampunk.
Profile Image for Christina.
810 reviews27 followers
February 23, 2018
Popsugar 2018 Reading Challenge: A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to.

(I was this close to picking it for "ugly cover" because I really, really hate this cover.)

I really loved The Diabolical Miss Hyde, so I was a smidge disappointed in the sequel. Some of the strengths were still there: Lizzie (by far the more appealing half of the duo), Lizzie's underworld friends and acquaintances, the literary references and the pulpy nature of the whole thing. Some of the weaknesses were still there, too: Eliza's everyone's-in-love-with-me-itis, for example. Eliza's and Remy's banter towards the beginning was a bit cringeworthy. Eliza's judgment when it came to a certain serial killer was face-palm level. Does it sound like I didn't care much for Eliza? Well, yes and no. She irritated me considerably, but I realized towards the end that it was at least partially intentional, and I could respect that.

The lurid plot of Book One was NOTHING, lurid-wise, compared to Book Two. Plot-wise it was quite weak and started spinning out of control in the final third as things piled on top of things piled on top of more things. BUT I have to say I never guessed the murder weapon, and I really loved the big reveal there.

Bottom line: it's still fun, it's still worth it, but I'm not as eager to read Book Three after reading Book Two as I was to read Book Two after reading Book One. You figure it out.
Profile Image for The Book Adventures.
35 reviews4 followers
October 25, 2015

Read the rest of this review at The Book Adventures.
Profile Image for Kara.
Author 24 books69 followers
December 16, 2015

When you’ve already used Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to explore issues of dichotomy, what public domain work do you turn to next?

The mystery is loaded with mutilated bodies, art theft (of all kinds), Satanic rituals, Mad Science, and an undercurrent of revolution.

That was great by itself – I was delighted by the twists at the end – but on top of that the book gets into themes of want vs need, rich v. poor, gender inequality, independence v. interdependence, levels of insanity, and when violence is and isn’t justified.

The only issue I have is that both Eliza and Lizzie have to be rescued far too frequently. It makes no sense that neither of them would have studied some basic self-defense by this point, given the danger that surrounds them constantly –or at least switched over to a metal-lined corset that can defect knife blades.
Profile Image for Kara-karina.
1,636 reviews251 followers
November 11, 2016
2.5/5
I was so disappointed in this read after a brilliant first book in the series. It took me months to plow through it, it was just sooo damn messy! The characters were also all over the place, and the whole experience reminded me of a drug-induced nightmare, - vivid but making very little sense.

* * *

Так я была разочарована в этом романе после блистательной первой книги серии!Я его е��озила полгода, настолько сюжет был грязный, да и характеры растекались мыслями и эмоциями по древу. Элиза меня жутко раздражала, и я понимала, почему Лиззи хотелось её придушить. В общем, не знаю буду ли эту серию продолжать.
1,963 reviews47 followers
September 10, 2017
Probably not going to read more of this series.

The characters wore on me and I stopped caring about them. I found Remy increasingly irritating. The tension between Lizzie and Eliza felt poorly handled (they're 26 years old! Grow up). The everyday anger about sexism felt... boring to read (ok, you can be angry every day, but it's exhausting to read). The banter - while amusing - didn't charm me (but rather, felt like it started to weigh the plot down). I might not have given this book a fair chance, but I'm going to quit this series now.
Profile Image for Ariel.
853 reviews69 followers
October 29, 2015
"You horrid man," she snarled. "You can't experiment on people without their consent. It's unethical!"

Really, Eliza? This is what you say to a man who is two seconds away from killing you? Really? *sigh*

How to review a book where you are completely smitten with the alter ego of the main character...and literally roll your eyes whenever the main character graces the page? Oy.

RTC.
Profile Image for Cecilia Dominic.
Author 37 books385 followers
December 30, 2015
The second volume in the Electric Empire series finds Eliza Jekyll more at odds with her dark side Lizzie Hyde than in the first book, which provides for some delightfully awkward and suspenseful moments. This book has a very twisty plot, and the author did a fabulous job of tying it all together in the end with a twist I didn't anticipate. I won't spoil it for you but can't recommend the continuation of this series highly enough.
Profile Image for Abby.
220 reviews1 follower
May 29, 2016
Not as good as the first. You can tell by how long it took me to read that I just wasn't into it. Too many intertwined plots and characters. The whole dual-persons thing got a bit tiring after halfway through. Overall, a disappointment, especially after how much I loved the first.
Profile Image for Louisa.
6,693 reviews27 followers
November 3, 2015
Awesome sequel! Loved reading it (though there were bits where I had to slow down and reread a bit because there was a lot going on!) and it was just so freaking good! So glad that the author has mentioned that she's writing book #3!!!!
Profile Image for Amy Braun.
Author 30 books343 followers
January 20, 2019
Eliza and Lizzie are back, and better than ever! The story was much stronger and more exciting, the drama and relationships more engaging, and the magic more plentiful. I was able to dive right into the story and follow the characters and their new troubles. I found the mystery equally as thrilling and engaging as its predecessor.

I loved all the characters, and was delighted to learn more about Lafeyette and Finch. Lafeyette's story/family turned out to be quite important in a twist that I didn't see coming, and Finch turned out to be more layered than I thought. I still hated seeing Todd and his relationship with Eliza, but it's the kind of thing I could push aside since it is compelling to the narrative. Of course, Eliza and Lizzie's complex love-hate relationship was the highlight of the book, and it constantly drove me to read more and more.

Honestly, I have few complaints about this book and am dying for reading the next one. It's exciting, complicated, romantic, and all around fun!
Profile Image for Brittany.
270 reviews3 followers
October 16, 2017
I think this book probably deserves 4.5 stars but of course that's not an option so I'm going to go with 4. I'm not sure if it was just be having a bad time outside of my book world or what but I stopped halfway through for a while. I want to say it's because of me and not the book. Once I picked it back up though, I finished in two days so I feel it was probably me being a weirdo.

I love Remy...I'm still not sure if I like Eliza...not sure if I like Lizzie.

I don't know...something about this one just gave me 4 star feels rather than 5. I'm hoping the next one will bring back those 5 stars.
Profile Image for Marie Piper.
Author 32 books97 followers
July 19, 2017
THE DEVIOUS DR. JEKYLL (Second book in the series) honestly starts a little slow, setting up a whole new case for our heroine & crew to solve, but when it takes off, dude...It takes off. I'm all in for this series, for brilliant Eliza and hot-blooded Lizzie, and Remy and Finch and Mr. Todd (more of him, please!) and all the rest of Viola Carr's stunningly written misfits. This was almost as thrilling as the first book -- so I'm off to order the third book right now!
81 reviews1 follower
June 13, 2018
Really enjoy the series and the characters. The one thing that frustrates me is how Todd is so attractive to Eliza. He's a murdering psycho and yet she's stuck following the old trope of trying to reform the bad boy. At least Lizzie has the sense to try and avoid him. But other than that, and the fact that the author uses American spellings, the story is entertaining.

Lots of literary characters pop up in the series, with different spins on them making things uncertain when they show up.
Profile Image for Mariah Lapham.
57 reviews1 follower
February 25, 2021
Absolutely love this series! I wasn't aware there was a third book until looking the author up and am now waiting impatiently for it to arrive! The characters are very well written!
There were a few big twists in this book! One thing I am curious about is the relationship between Eliza and Mr. Todd and kind of wish that it was delved into a bit more. maybe the third book will give some insight? I hope so!
I definitely recommend this series!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 87 reviews