Start by marking “Basil in Mexico (Basil of Baker Street, #4)” as Want to Read:
Basil in Mexico (Basil of Baker Street, #4)

Basil in Mexico

(Basil of Baker Street #4)

The famous sleuth of Mousedom!

Basil of Baker Street continues his brilliant detective career as he solves three difficult cases, one right after the other:

"The Case of the Counterfeit Cheese"--in which mousedom is terrified as mice crack their teeth on phony cheese bits made of concrete...

"The Theft of the Mousa Lisa"--in which Basil ferrets out the truth behind the
Library Binding, 96 pages
Published January 1st 1976 by McGraw-Hill Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Basil in Mexico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basil in Mexico

Start your review of Basil in Mexico (Basil of Baker Street, #4)
Tegan
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one was fun. I enjoy all the mouse connections to the human world.
Mayda
Although this series is fun and entertaining, this one cleverly introduces some thoughtful concepts and facts. It has instances of compassion for the guilty, equal rights (for female mice), and thoughtfulness for those less fortunate. Performed by Ralph Lister, this series, though intended for children, can be enjoyed by all ages.
Bev
Selah Pike
I appreciate the Sherlockian references, and my kids love the story of an anthropomorphic mouse detective. Win-win
Natasha
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Basil and Dr.Dawson travel to Mexico to solve the disappearance of the Mousa Lisa. Following the clues the painting is soon returned to where it belongs.
Yukiraking
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one a lot more than the "Cave of Cats" and I think it might be in part because of the explanation it gave in passing about Ratigan. I definitely read them out of order. I should have trusted the Goodread's series page, but the books were re-published in a specific order, so I thought that was the order they were meant to be read.

But there were definitely some characters that really stood out to me in this one, which highlighted the fact that in the last book I didn't connect with
Hannah
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disney's 'The Great Mouse Detective' was always one of my favorites. When I found out it was also a children's series, I was very excited. Book 1 is being ordered from the library, so I had to start with Books 4 and 5.

This was a children's book, but it was actually quite good. Sometimes I do read children's books that have predictable story lines and simple language. This was not the case with 'Basil in Mexico'. I found that it was a worthy successor (I refer to it as successor as I had watched
Seth
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am six and listened to the audio version of this book. I loved the book because it was cute and a bit funny. It was cool. It was a mystery book about a mouse detective and they went to Mexico. They tried to solve the case. I think other people would like this book because it looked cool. The great mouse detective.
Kristin
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I grow to love Basil more and more with each book. He and Dawson are charming, mouse replacement's for Sherlock and Watson. The plots are sweet and accessible (for young readers). I'll finish the series!
Megan Rudek
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this one was cute. It also shows and demonstrates a true friendship!
Kristi
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Description: Basil of Baker Street, the world's most famous mouse detective, is at it again! A mystery story of many tales in one, we follow clever Basil and the faithful Dawson as they tackle the dastardly Professor Ratigan in London and travel to Mexico to solve the puzzle of a stolen work of art. Success seems to be in their grasp... but they are faced with a sudden blow when Dawson is kidnapped on the eve of a full-scale rebel army attack!

Concerns: None

Summary: Consider this book a
Chris
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a really fast-paced, very mysterious and really well-written children’s mystery novel. It had really beautiful illustrations, really great characters, really good mystery, really exciting adventure and a very interesting story. This is one of the best “Basil of Baker Street” books that I’ve ever read in my whole life. I’m also looking forward to read “Basil in the Wild West,” and “Basil and the Lost Colony.” I really recommend this book to kids and adults alike.
Anissa
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I picked up my copy at a library booksale. It's a shame that it's no longer on the shelves. Titus' Basil only wants to be as good a detective as Sherlock Holmes. He's better in some ways, especially when it comes to being kind. I enjoyed the case of the Mousa Lisa and the appearance of Rattigan. If you're looking to introduce to your little one to mysteries and the world of Holmes, you should check out the Basil series.
S. J.
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loved the movie and fans of Sherlock Holmes
Recommended to S. by: Library
It has been forever since I last read this book. I can't help but feel that the author fell into the same pit that many Sherlock Holmes authors have - can't think of what else to have him solve...lets send him somewhere weird! This is very much like the rest of her books where Basil goes someplace not Baker St. and experiences things exclusive to that country and/or people group.

Not to say they are bad...they are just extremely predictable. The first was the best.
Amy
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, j-fiction
This was a quick read. It was just okay. In this, Basil has to solve three different mysteries. I think more time should have been spent on the main one, as the fake cheese (really?) and the other did nothing at all to help move the book along, just added pages.
Alxandra
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
More cute than anything else.
Samira
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first but still a fun read. A great mystery for young readers read alone or aloud together.
Ann aka Iftcan
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
Cute collection of stories, featuring a mouse in the role of Sherlock Holmes. Good read for the 10-12 year old set.
Christina
This is the first of the Basil of Baker Street books that I've read. The parallels between Basil and the Sherlock Holmes stories were very charming.
R.K. Goff
Mar 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Great little mysteries to entertain children. Writen with humble respects to Doyle.
Eden
Basil, the great mouse detective, in this book solves three cases. It's not a very long book and I just thought it was okay. I just really couldn't get get into it for some reason.
Brooke
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
My kids liked this one a bit more than I did. A fun read, and better than the third book in the series.
Mckinley
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'd forgotten all about these!
Emily Hale
Jun 18, 2014
Books Kids Like
Feb 27, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers (Captain Underpants, #10)
  • Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (Captain Underpants, #6)
  • Ben Franklin's in My Bathroom! (History Pals, #1)
  • Captain Underpants and the Big Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 2: Revenge of the Ridiculous Robo-Boogers (Captain Underpants, #7)
  • The 39-Storey Treehouse
  • Bad Kitty Gets a Bath
  • Paintball Punk
  • The 26-Storey Treehouse
  • Power at the Plate
  • Star Wars: Jedi Academy 3: The Phantom Bully (Jedi Academy, #3)
  • Spotlight Striker
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 34: Synchro (The Prince of Tennis, #34)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 35: Farewell, Hyotei Academy (The Prince of Tennis, #35)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 36: A Heated Battle! Seishun vs. Shitenhoji (The Prince of Tennis, #36)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 33: Kunimitsu in Kyushu (The Prince of Tennis, #33)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 31: A Surprise Strategy: Eiji Plays Singles (The Prince of Tennis, #31)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 32: Two of a Cunning Kind (The Prince of Tennis, #32)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 37: The Terror of Comic Tennis (The Prince of Tennis, #37)
Eve Titus was the author of numerous bestselling and beloved children's books.

Her most famous characters include Anatole, a French mouse and Basil of Baker Street, a mouse who works as a private eye. Her book, Anatole, won the 1957 Caldecott Honor Book award.

She died in 2002 in Orlando, Florida.

Basil of Baker Street (10 books)
  • Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street, #1)
  • Basil and the Lost Colony (Basil of Baker Street, #2)
  • Basil and the Pygmy Cats (Basil of Baker Street, #3)
  • Basil in the Wild West (Basil of Baker Street, #5)
  • Basil and the Big Cheese Cook-Off (The Great Mouse Detective Book 6)
  • Basil and the Royal Dare
  • Basil and the Library Ghost
  • The Great Mouse Detective Crumbs and Clues Collection: Basil of Baker Street; Basil and the Cave of Cats; Basil in Mexico; Basil in the Wild West; Basil and the Lost Colony
  • The Great Mouse Detective Mastermind Collection Books 1-8: Basil of Baker Street; Basil and the Cave of Cats; Basil in Mexico; Basil in the Wild West; Basil and the Lost Colony; Basil and the Big Cheese Cook-Off; Basil and the Royal Dare; Basil and the...