Jump to ratings and reviews

Forget Tomorrow #1

Forget Tomorrow

A New York Times bestseller!

Imagine a world where your destiny has already been decided…by your future self.

It’s Callie’s seventeenth birthday and, like everyone else, she’s eagerly awaiting her vision―a memory sent back in time to sculpt each citizen into the person they’re meant to be. A world-class swimmer. A renowned scientist.

Or in Callie’s case, a criminal.

In her vision, she sees herself murdering her gifted younger sister. Before she can process what it means, Callie is arrested and placed in Limbo―a prison for those destined to break the law. With the help of her childhood crush, Logan, a boy she hasn’t spoken to in five years, she escapes the hellish prison.

But on the run from her future, as well as the government, Callie sets in motion a chain of events that she hopes will change her fate. If not, she must figure out how to protect her sister from the biggest threat of all.

Callie herself.

336 pages, Hardcover

First published November 3, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Pintip Dunn

11 books985 followers
Pintip Dunn is a New York Times bestselling author of young adult fiction. She graduated from Harvard University, magna cum laude, with an A.B., and received her J.D. at Yale Law School.

Her novel FORGET TOMORROW won the 2016 RWA RITA® for Best First Book, and SEIZE TODAY won the 2018 RITA for Best Young Adult Romance. Her books have been translated into four languages, and they have been nominated for the following awards: the Grand Prix del'Imaginaire; the Japanese Sakura Medal; the MASL Truman Award; the TomeSociety It list; and the Romantic Times Reviewers' Choice Award.

Her other titles include REMEMBER YESTERDAY, THE DARKEST LIE, GIRL ON THE VERGE, STAR-CROSSED, and MALICE.

She lives with her husband and children in Maryland.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
248 (8%)
1 star
104 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 574 reviews
Profile Image for Ben Alderson.
Author 23 books13.2k followers
August 4, 2016
WHAT WHAT WHAT.

What I love about books like this, is the unique direction of the world. I love that this is a book which you can relate to, yet its set in a future where you obtain the memories of your future to determine the path you take for the rest of your life....

Well, our main character did not except to see herself killing her little sister.
THEN we get the introduction of Psychic abilities and a innocent, honest romance brewing! LOVED THIS! need the next, obvs because the ending of this book was PRETTY cliff hangery
Profile Image for Donita Luz.
158 reviews49 followers
November 21, 2015
I wish I could've given this book a higher rating, after all Forget Tomorrow has been one of my anticipated read this year. After seeing its beautiful cover and reading its totally intriguing premise, I can't help but wanting to read it. Though, I must admit that after reading the blurb, the first thing that comes in my mind was Minority Report , I never got the chance to read the book but I did watch the movie, and I must say, If I've known how painful it is to read this book, I should've watch the movie again or try reading The Minority Report book.
"My entire childhood has been a countdown to the day I receive my future memory. I spent so much time anticipating tomorrow—making plans, imagining scenarios, worrying endlessly—I’m not sure I know how to live in the present. I wouldn’t even know where to begin."
Callie lives in the future world where your future-self, finds a way to send a memory to your present-self, to direct the course of direction of your life-whether a future chef, swimmer an official... Or in Callie's case, a criminal.
"I have to be brave. But I’m not brave. Not really. I’m not anything. I’m just a girl. Only a girl. Nothing but a girl. No, that’s not true. I’m a girl who will kill my sister in the future."
This is book was set in a very intriguing and complicated world. Well, time is a complicated topic, it's endless possibility is immense, but the book kind of limit it. There were a lot of hole in the story and A lot of what-the-hell-is-happening moments. There's this place called harmony, it has been a refuge for people trying to run-away from their future, obviously an ideal place for Callie, who'll commit crime in the future. I think it's funny how they see Eden city/Civilization and Harmony as two different worlds, I know they are stating a metaphor.. but still.. Ugh, I just won't rant anymore than I should. You probably have to read the book itself and see for your self.

I really really liked the writing style of this book. But, it's not enough for me to enjoy reading this book. Because the characters and unnecessary romance kind of played a major role in making this a painful experience for me.

I thought this story is about a determined girl who wanted to save her sister, a girl who would defy everything, even her own fate to make sure that the safety of her sister is secure, in short, I thought I would meet a likable character, but alas, I couldn't have been more wrong. Because I sincerely find Callie annoying. She spent a lot of time wondering how she's going to save her sister, that she's doing the right thing being away from her, in that way she'll never be able to harm her. She wonders about it all plot long, and then, surprise surprise! She suddenly wakes up wanting to go back to the civilization to meet and save her sister on the day Logan, her love interest, is (conveniently) set to leave for Eden City.
"Ah, romance. Isn't it grand? It screws with your mind and makes you do stupid things like throw your future away."
My thoughts exactly.

Then there's Logan, the boy who stopped talking to Callie 5 years ago. Which he has perfectly great and beautiful alibi for doing so. I honestly tried my best to enjoy this book, but Callie and Logan's relationship has no chemistry at all. It was so easy to predict, not even a slight swoon-worthy effect.
"He reaches up and catches my earlobe between his fingers. "You have really nice ears. Anyone ever tell you that?"
description

And then, the ending.

There are two types of cliffhanger for me, one that can make the readers set their nerves on edge unable to stop their mind from formulating things that supposed to happen next, the one that will make the readers happily anticipate the next book.. Then there's this cliffhanger that makes you so angry that all you want to do is to punch someone in the face.. In this case, it's the latter. I certainly didn't expect the ending which should've been a good thing, but seriously, that cliffhanger just seal the deal for me. I was not amused.

I received a digital copy of this book for free in exchanged for an honest review. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, YaBoundBookTours and NetGalley.
Profile Image for Cody.
201 reviews630 followers
October 18, 2015
Forget Tomorrow is set in a futuristic dystopian world with advanced technology that allows you to obtain future memories. These memories will guide people through life and will ensure them to have the career they envisioned. These memories are ‘set it stone’ and there is no varying from the path. Our protagonist, Callie dreads receiving her memory, she’s nervous she won’t become a famous chef. However not becoming a chef is the least of Callie’s worries because her future memory doesn’t involve a simple career change… she actually kills her little sister, Jessa.

Callie was fantastic main character; she’s strong, determined and will stop at nothing to make sure her memory doesn’t come true. Callie sacrifices everything and willingly goes through hell to ensure her sister safety but she soon discovers a shocking secret about their cruel government that changes everything. Taking dangerous risks, fighting fate and hoping to change her future, all with the help of her friend Logan, Callie will stop at nothing.

“Sorry, Jessa, I’d love to come back and eat the toast you ordered for me, but it turns out I’m going to kill you in a few months’ time.”

Time for some romance talk. Callie and Logan were childhood friends but when the government took Logan’s brother for having psychic abilities, their relationship ceased to exist. Logan cut all ties and hasn’t spoken to Callie or anybody since. After a five-year long silence Logan is back in full swoon-worthy swing to help Callie change her future and to make up for lost time. I was a little hesitant to get on board with this ship at first after their years of distance but the more you read, the more you see how seamlessly easily it is to slip into old friendships and habits. Before long I was enjoying the tension and angst that comes with rediscovering a person and Callie and Logan are just so cute!

The plot was phenomenal, end of the story really. This dystopian world was incredibly thought out, complex, explained well and quite scary at times. I found the concept of future memory and having your life already mapped out quite exciting but nerve-racking, after all if you don’t like your future your only fighting fate right? Easy enough.

Forget Tomorrow was a gorgeous, refreshing story that was restored my faith in dystopian. Filled with action, adventure, romance, amazing characters and a heartfelt storyline that you can connect with. What I loved about this book is at the beginning you are thrown into this world, there’s no unnecessary build up, you’re hooked from the very beginning with this unpredictable plot and then left shocked and surprised by the clever cliffhanger ending. It’s safe to say, I loved this book- Forget Tomorrow is a magnificent debut and I can't wait to see was Dunn does next.

Literary-ly Obsessed
Profile Image for Pintip Dunn.
Author 11 books985 followers
Read
March 10, 2017
This is the book of my heart. The reason this book means so much to me is because it is inspired by my relationship with my sister.

Let me explain. My sister, Lana, is twelve years younger than me, and I have always felt an extremely close, protective bond with her. I wanted to write a story about the deep, maternalistic love that a girl can have for her much younger sister -- and the lengths she would go to in order to protect her. I'd like to believe that I would be strong enough and brave enough to make the decisions that Callie makes.

I always tease Lana that this is my favorite book because I get to kill her in it. But this isn't actually true. First, this isn't necessarily my favorite book (like parents, we authors aren't allowed to have favorites, right?!) More importantly, this book is not about how much I want to kill my sister, but rather, about how much I love her.

This is the reason Forget Tomorrow is dedicated to her.
Profile Image for mith.
741 reviews256 followers
January 14, 2016
God this was terrible.
Okay, look, I know that I say this about so many books, but GOD.
If I'd continuously UPDATED my progress throughout reading this book, you would see why I wouldn't even give this 1 star.
I showed my friend, while reading. Entire screenshots of scenes that made me cringe so hard I had to distance myself from my Kindle.
It. Was. That. Bad.
I honestly do not want to be mean; really, that isn't what I'm going for. As far as I understand, this was a debut novel, and oh, how it shows. The writing is so poor. The romance is SO dull, SO instantaneous. The characters are flat and stupid. The world, which had so much potential, was incomplete and made no sense.
I'm trying to collect my thoughts right now, to justify all that I've written. And I can't because there's just so much of nothing and I can't. I just can't.
The premise sounded sososososo promising, and all I got was some stupid kids who cared about being together--after 5 years of not even speaking!--rather than the benefit of a whole society. Nothing was accomplished here. Absolutely nothing. It was confusing and a giant mess.
I was not kidding when I wrote that this book physically hurt to read.
I honestly wanted to leave this as a DNF and never touch it again.
Profile Image for Sarah Elizabeth.
4,691 reviews1,268 followers
November 4, 2015
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)

“You’ve had an atypical memory, one where you commit a Class A felony. According to FuMA law, I have to arrest you.”

This was an okay story, but I did struggle with it a bit.

I did like Callie, and she did find herself in some tough positions. It was admirable the way she tried to hide her sister’s psychic abilities from those who would use them against her, and she always seemed to try and put her mother and sister before herself.

The storyline in this started out okay, then it lost me a bit. I found the pace quite slow, and I really lost interest for a while. It did pick up a bit at the end with a couple of interesting twists, but I did struggle with this one really.

6 out of 10
Profile Image for Jeninne.
1,096 reviews28 followers
February 14, 2016
This book is atrociously messy.

More than that, it's the perfect example of everything wong with YA these days, and how publishing companies don't give a damn about the content they're producing, and only about the people they can sucker into buying their books. Look, I'm not an idiot. Obviously any company's bottom line is going to be making money, and publishing houses aren't exactly foundations of quality assurance. But more and more I'm noticing messy, subpar books slippling through to publication.

This book has some good ideas in it. Albeit they're all previously explored ideas, but they're still good. The problem is that there are too many things in this book, all squished together, all trying to fight for some kind of dominance with the reader, which leaves all of the elements of this book feeling rushed, out of place, and messy. This book simply wants to be too many things, and in the end, ends up being nothing.

Is this book a fantasy? About people with special abilities? Epaths and precogs? Or is this book about sci-fi? Time travel of some sort? Is this a book about a corrupt government and a resistance? Or is it about two people finding their way back to each other after being parted due to emotional trauma? Is this a book about two sisters? Or is this a book about a missing father? Seriously. What the fuck is this book about?

I read this book and I still can't keep track of everything in this book, with none of it being properly developed or well thought out. This world where people myseriously get a single, selective memory on their birthday with no actual context ... WHY? Why is there no explanation? Why is there no attempt at pseudoscience? Where is the rational thought about the necessity of CONTEXT? Why are the people complacent in this society without a reason for such complacency? What's the level of technology here? Why is it high enough to play around with embryos, but people can bugger off into the woods and remain off the radar? But most importantly, why does this author, like so many poor, misguided fools before her, think it's attractive to have your male love interest be a dick?

This book has incredibly uneven pacing, and the worst case of uneven tone I have EVER read. This book doesn't know what it is. It doesn't know what to do with itself. And the lack of proper world building, character development, and plot refinement is unbearably bad. So it doesnt' even matter that there are things in here that I thought had potential, and things that I wanted to like. Because it all gets mucked up by either an unexperienced author, or one that just tried something too ambitious.

Shame on the editor for letting this get through to publication. Shame on the publication house for just wanting a cash grab. This book has potential to be something, but it needs a lot of work and a lot of rewrites. But when your bottom line is to make money, then this is what you get.

Two generous stars.
Profile Image for Dana.
440 reviews290 followers
January 1, 2016

As with any book that tackles the tricky situation of time travel, I have to give credit simply for undertaking such a difficult task. It's very hard to not have lots of holes in these types of book, and while I try not to focus too hard on them (because really how can you not have holes in these types of stories?), this book had just a few too many “huh?” moments even for me.

I did like the general idea of this book and the moral issues that the author was trying to showcase were well done. The main character's inner dialogue was a little rambly and dramatic, however my opinion of this may simply be due to being out of the ideal age range for YA. (I'm 25)

Overall this is an easy, relatively light read (with a couple dark moments) that passed the time well enough. I'm not invested enough to read the next book, but I found this to be a decent read. 2.5/5

Buy, Borrow or Bin Verdict: Bin

Note: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Alice Reeds.
Author 7 books117 followers
October 3, 2015
Find my review (also) on my blog: Bettgeschichten

* Thank you Entangled Teen and NetGalley for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review *

Forget Tomorrow was the perfect blend between a futuristic world, a swoon worthy romance, funny dialogues and moments, and a female protagonist that was ready to do anything it took to keep her sister safe. The story was exciting, intriguing, and pulled me in from page one on.
In Forget Tomorrow we are introduced to a future filled with exciting technology set in the post-Boom era. The most interesting feature of this particular vision of the future is that every 17 year old receives a future memory on their birthday. This future memory is supposed to guide them through life and give them something they can work toward, be it a career in music, business, swimming, or becoming a famous manual chef. The latter is the protagonists dream which I think is cute since it's so different from the usual things girls dream of in futuristic novels.
But, unfortunately, Callie, the protagonist, doesn't receive a memory that shows her as famous chef or having a huge career at all, but the moment she becomes a criminal. She sees her future self kill her younger sister, Jessa.

I really, really liked Callie. She was a very interesting and honest protagonist with human flaws like selfishness, but not to an annoying level since she was well aware of these flaws. Her actions made sense and seeing how much she loved her sister and what she was willing to do to protect her was brilliant and something we don't get to see often enough in YA .
Logan, the love interest in Forget Tomorrow, was swoon worthy and cute. Seeing their relationship evolve over the course of the story was amazing and happened gradually, no insta love or anything since they had known each other for years already. That was a very pleasant diversion from the usual plot where they meet in the beginning of the book and fall in love in mere days. I loved how much he was willing to sacrifice or push aside in terms of his own future to help Callie and her sister.

The plot was very interesting and different from many other sci-fi/dystopian YA stories. At first the whole idea of receiving memories at your 17th birthday gave me a slight Divergent feeling but that passed within seconds since the story is very different from Divergent and many other dystopians that I've read so far. I enjoyed the part of the book that played in Limbo, a prison like place, and how all the puzzle pieces slowly got added together to form a unique picture at the end.
Speaking of which, the ending was breathtaking. I was shocked by how it ended and in which moment it did. The epilogue was on point, written beautifully. I want more, asap, though I know that I'll have to wait months and months to find out how the story will continue. I have no theories as to how the story will continue, which is something that rarely happens since dystopians tend to be easy to figure out.

All in all Forget Tomorrow was amazing, intriguing and fun. The story was different and amazingly written. I will definitely continue on with this series/trilogy and whatever Pintip Dunn will write in the future.
Profile Image for Laura.
197 reviews15 followers
November 5, 2015
*ARC from Entangled Teen via NetGalley*

Forget Tomorrow follows Callie as she receives a memory from her future self (as to all seventeen years olds). This memory will help decide what path your future will take. But Callie's memory leads her in a direction she never in her wildest dreams would of thought of. She reconnects with Logan, the boy from 5 years ago who meant everything to her, can he again?
I really enjoyed the writing style, found it very easy to read. I liked the characters and the chemistry between Callie and Logan. I love a good dystopian read and this was a great one. I can't wait to read more about these characters and this world. Will definitely keep an eye out for more from Pintip Dunn.
4 reviews1 follower
December 3, 2015
Unoriginal dystopian.

The saving grace for me was that this one was listed as a Science fiction thriller, and I wasn't sure I would like that since I don't usually like science fiction that much even though I do sometimes like thrillers. People kept talking about it being a unique dystopian so I thought I'd give it a try and it did sound interesting. I thought I was finally finding a new twist for the future.

This one was hard for me. I wanted it to be this great, original concept that would hook me like the description of it. I thought it sounded fairly original, but I was wrong. It was Minority Report all mashed up with bits and pieces of ideas from other popular dystopians.

1. Being able to arrest people for crimes they haven't committed yet. ex) Minority Report. This comparison is a no brainer.
2. Some big thing happens on the same day for everyone. ex) the reaping in Hunger Games. Choosing factions ala Divergent. Finding out future mate like Matched. Vocation on 16th birthday like The Giver. Delirium. Scott Westerfield's series on the 16th birthday. The Testing. The list goes on and on.
3. The big old sacrifice. Katniss for Prim in HG. Callie for Tyler in Starters. Tris for Caleb in Allegiant. Callie for Jessa in Forget Tomorrow. Been there, done that. Sisterly love and loyalty is great but it's just been done.
4. On the run from the big bad government. Starters. Divergent. Hunger Games. Legend. I guess that's the description of a dystopian though but maybe I'm tired of it.
5. Romance with boy who shares some small piece of history and trying to make it more than it is--like Katniss for Peeta, the boy with the bread. Except this one was way less believable. Thank god there was no love triangle. I wouldn't be Team Logan in any case. Their romance doesn't work. It was annoying.
6. The communities in the woods. Done with those. We get it. The rebels rise up and they need a place to plan and lick their wounds. But it's been done before. ex) The Smoke, the refuge for Uglies. The Wilds in Delirium. The Program where they escape to the rebels. The Revolution of Ivy outside Westfall beyond the fence.

I don't mind when authors borrow certain elements from other stories and make them their own. However, I found this author borrowed too many. Maybe it's hard to write original dystopians anymore. They've pretty much all been done. They all end up sounding the same and you know exactly what is going to happen next because it's what other books kind of did at some point.

I applaud Pantip for trying to do something creative with this book. I really wish she would have stuck mainly to the getting the memory plot line so that I could understand what the hell was going on. I couldn't figure out where the memory came from. The whole business with everyone receiving the memory on a certain day didn't even make sense. If they had been training to get their memory and all they had to do was open their minds to accept it, why couldn't they do that any time they wanted? She kind of does it later when she's not under the care of the government which didn't make sense. I'm not sure I understand that at all. I'm assuming Callie and Logan will figure it all out in the second book, but that doesn't help me understand it in this one.

The things I liked about this book were the relationships between the people who also had atypical memories. I liked what Pantip was trying to do with the idea of predestination and stuff like that. I thought that was cool. I liked the idea of her and the others fighting for their future but I guess I just didn't see a lot of that fight. Maybe in the next installment it will happen. I'm not sure if I'll read Book 2 to find out what happens to Callie and how she shows her fighting spirit in the second one, but it could be a better book than this one.

I thought the pacing at the beginning was great. Pantip lost me in the middle for a long time. It took me longer than normal to finish this book. I picked it back up to finish it because everyone kept talking about how insane the ending was and I have to admit that I was curious to know. I kind of had an idea that was what was going to happen, but I wanted to see if I was right. My other prediction was that she was going to travel in time. I'm glad I was wrong about that.

I wanted to give this a three but I couldn't. Maybe a 2.75 at the most.
Profile Image for Steven.
1 review
January 12, 2016
As a Sci-fi fan, I thought this book was a complete disaster. Not sure why it's even called a sci-fi. Reads pure dystopian to me and not a good one. The holes in the plot were ridiculous. I don't mind trilogies but there has to be some kind of conclusion in each book and explain SOMETHING. I kept going, "HUH??" The whole memory thing made absolutely no sense in a scientific way but maybe the author didn't really care about that aspect. She was more interested in trying to make something romantic happen between the characters. Which dragged me away from this book several times.
Maybe if they had any sort of connection it wouldn't have been so bad.
I wouldn't mind knowing how the hell they got the memories. Why would random people just start getting them? On one day? That makes no sense. Why is the government so hellbent on finding out how it happens? What are they trying to stop? The memories are already there. You can't just erase them now. I think the author threw this memory crap in a Wannabe romantic dystopian because she thought it sounded cool but then had no idea how the hell to make it work. Good luck to her trying to figure it out for Book 2. I sure won't be reading it.
Profile Image for Amelia.
4 reviews
Want to read
March 7, 2018
I just finished this book and wish I could get back the month I spent reading it. It took me a lot longer to finish than my normal rate. I had a lot of schoolwork, but it was more than that. To me I felt like this book was so similar to so many other dystopians out there. I felt like I was reading the same type of thing over again.
The basic idea of this book seemed so awesome. It fell short for me on so many levels. I don't really care about the romance in books unless that's what it's supposed to be. But I would rather not have had any romance than what was in this book. I read some reviews and I don't get it. Logan was far from swoon worthy. If one more person talks about the swooning I'm going to barf. The romance was awful. AWFUL.
The memory thing would have been great if it was actually explained better.
Callie was super whiny and annoying. I didn't really care one way or the other about her. I did enjoy reading about the other people who received bad memories. That's my one star.
I highly doubt I'll read the next book in this series. Big bummer. I was excited to get into a new dystopian series.
Profile Image for Tee loves Kyle Jacobson.
2,471 reviews169 followers
August 28, 2015
This book was amazing. It is set in a virtualistic world where every boy and girl at the age of 17 get their future. They can several things and have a good life or have a bad future predicted to them. In this case Callie who just turned 17 is predicted a horrible future. After seeing her vision which is a memory sent back in time to mold everyone's future she is horrified to find out she will be a criminal. She is destined to kill someone close to her and she refuses to make that her future.

Once Callie's vision is out she is arrested and sent to prison where she meets up with a friend she has not spoken to for some time. With Lucas by her side they hatch a plan to escape and rewrite her future. Escaping the prison and on the run is not as easy as it seems but they make it work. Callie is doing whatever she has to do to change her future and with Logan's help she just might make it. But we have to wait and see what happens in the next book which I need ASAP!

Profile Image for Jamie (Books and Ladders).
1,266 reviews188 followers
November 3, 2015
This review was originally posted on Queen of the Bookshelves

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This one left me speechless at the end. I was so sure I had it figured out and then WHAMO. I was left shocked and off guard and had to read the ending like 15 times to make sure I got it all down. It is definitely one to check out if you like science fiction and dystopian novels. It sort of has a Giver mixed with Divergent feel to it, but it has such a unique plot.

I really liked Callie. I liked that she had fears and doubts, but still wanted to keep her sister safe. I also liked that she wasn't her sister's biggest fan when she was born because gosh sometimes you just don't like your siblings. I thought the age difference between them made their relationship realistic as well.

I did like Logan, but I was a little ehhh about their romance. I thought considering they hadn't spoken in so long that it was a little rushed. But I still found it believable, if that makes sense. They did grow up together so they know one another, I'm just not sure that he would have risked everything to save her. That part was a little much for me.

I thought one thing that could have used a little more development was the world building. It was there and there was a good foundation, I just would have liked that little bit extra to really get there and feel as though I was there. That's really the only "large" piece of this novel that I didn't quite enjoy. But otherwise it was great.

Overall, I would recommend this one to people. It has the foundation to be a great series since there is a strong lead character, no prospects of a love triangle, and great familial relationships. There is SO MUCH that happened in this one but even talking about anything else would spoil it for you.
Profile Image for YA Booklover.
18 reviews3 followers
January 12, 2016
I don't even know where to start with this one. It's a mishmash of a whole bunch of other dystopian books and sci-fi movies (like Katniss running to the wilderness and Tris jumping off a building and June and the handmade ring thing). The characters are very flat and the romance is either non-existent or all-encompassing (but only for like two pages and then it's gone again). The plot is so full of holes, I felt like water trying to stay in a sieve. The whole thing about how memories arrive/where they come from/if they can be changed make absolutely no sense which is kinda a big deal since it's THE WHOLE POINT OF THE BOOK! As for the ending that everyone is raving about....um, what? That made even less sense. If you want to read a book that does time travel well, don't read this one. Just. Don't.
Profile Image for Debra Elsner.
1,331 reviews25 followers
October 15, 2015
Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
The world in this book is pretty much ruled by the memory you receive from your future self when you turn 17. You find out what your profession will be, will you be famous? or will you be a criminal? When Callie turns 17, she goes through the procedure. Her future memory is catastrophic. She sees that she murders her own baby sister. After she was arrested and sent to "limbo" where you wait for the vision to come true, she is rescued by the boy she adores, who has been ignoring her for the past five years. He is part of the underground; where people who have escaped from society. Callie tries to fight the future when her sister gets arrested, even though being in her proximity is her worst nightmare. The ending of the book totally shocked me, I was not expecting that to happen. This book was gripping from page one and I am looking forward to book 2. Hopefully we find out what happened to Callies father and will Mikey change his mind.
Profile Image for Louise.
6 reviews
December 24, 2015
Thought this book was wholly average for its genre. Whole pages are dedicated to storylines that don't really add to the plot, and then will simply just gloss over key parts. Ultimately, a very generic read.
Profile Image for H.
332 reviews105 followers
October 29, 2017
Mini Review

“Knowing the future doesn’t take away my free will. I have complete control over my actions”

Look at that, I'm writing this review after i finished the whole series.
How smart of me.

In all honesty I didnt love the first book that much i mean it was interesting and all, which is why I continued the series anyway, but it wasnt THAT level of awesome, it was good, but some parts were actually pretty boring

The beginning of this book was fast paced, and great, I really liked it, the plot line was awesome and so was Pintip Dunn's writing style.
But the romance kinda ruined it a bit for me, I mean, literally, there was no romantic relationship development. Logan and Callie were like the prime case of instalove. Like I get that you liked each other since you were small, but can we just tone it down a bit? everything with them was so rushed that it fell flat for me.

Also Callie was an annoying MC, she was indecisive most of the time, dont get me wrong i still like her as a character, but she was just annoying when its from her POV.

And the middle of this book, the whole “harmony part” was slow and boring, and it could’ve been shorter. Honestly I wasnt the least bit interested in harmony and all that was in it, and this was mainly the reason why my rating dropped to three.

well anyway let me talk about the good parts now

I LOVE JESSA. And can I just say. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CALLIE AND JESSA AS SISTERS WAS SUCH A DYNAMIC I CANT. MY HEART CAN NOT COMPREHEND
“When all my layers are stripped away, when everything I know is turned inside out, all I have left is this.
My love for you.”

I mean can we just, like sure the romance is mediocre, BUT THE SIBLING RELATIONSHIP IS AWESOME AND IM CRYING AND WTF. My heart is not okay. This was the best sibling relationship I might've read, as someone who loves reading and writing about sibling, specifically sister/sister relationships, my heart is happy.

If there is something Pintip Dunn KNOWS how to write, its plot twists and endings
I am shook to my soul.

X-------X
Pre-review

A significant date in this book:
Twenty eight October

The date today: Twenty eight October

It was meant to be
Profile Image for winterthekatt.
98 reviews13 followers
November 9, 2015
I've always found the concept of time travel, or in this case, knowing what the future will be, fascinating. I don't necessarily believe in fate myself, but this kind of theme usually results in very interesting works of fiction. Who knows, maybe in the future, this won't be fiction anymore? Anyway, Forget Tomorrow caught my attention for this reason and had me cooking up theories even before I started reading.

According to the book, your future self sends a vision to show you what you become. The biggest question here is, can you actually change your future? The whole time I was inclined to believe that it's not possible because even though you still have free will, the fact that the future memory was sent back in time implies that somehow it already happened, it's a given. So perhaps everything you do to avoid it, only ends up leading you down the path you were trying to avoid. This would be an excellent book to read in a book club because there are so many philosophical aspects to it, you have the perfect material for some great discussions. I had several theories going on regarding Callie and Jessa and none of them turned out to be correct!

All philosophy and theories aside, this book will keep you reading past your bedtime! There were a few parts where I was confused and had to pause and analyze things to make sure I was understanding correctly, but I was completely engrossed in the story. And still, I know I'll be thinking about it for the next several days. I can't wait for the next book because the ending only leaves you wanting more. I have faith that the author can sort everything out.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Yvonne.
189 reviews102 followers
February 8, 2016

*3.5 stars*

How about I start off with: I REALLY ENJOYED THIS! It's Pintip Dunn's debut novel and made me excited to read future books by her as well. Apparently this series is a trilogy and I ALREADY CAN'T WAIT!

In Forget Tomorrow we follow the main character, Calla Ann Stone, on her mission to change her future. At the age of 17, everyone gets a so-called "memory" from their future self. It shows them how their life will be like and can be about anything and everything - your career, who you'll marry or maybe even something insignificant. In Callie's case, she received a memory where she kills her little sister Jessa. The government imprisons her - since she's now branded a criminal and will commit a crime in the future - but with the help of her former best friend, Logan Russell, which also happens to be the boy Callie has always had a crush on, she's able to escape and desperately tries to NOT make her future happen. However, that proves to be difficult because ... how do you fight Fate?

"Who am I?" I whisper.
"Calla Ann Stone. A girl who seeks out the sun like a flower soaking up its rays. A girl who loves her family with everything in her heart. A girl who is so brave she'll do anything to save her sister."

Callie is a really likeable character. She's smart, brave and fights for the people she loves, even if it means to endanger herself. The things she had to go through and endure were very unpleasant and horrible but she never gave up. Of course it had a lot to do with the support she got from Logan. He helped her through this hard time and always stood by her side, which made me like him even more! Logan is extremely cute and I JUST ADORED HIM! All the things he did for Callie ... everything he said. UGH GOD. Can I have someone like him, please? He's a great guy, really. I also adored that they have a past and even though it didn't end well, I'm glad they overcame their problems and started to build up their friendship and relationship again. It was really cute.

The first 10 chapters were already so thrilling and intense and made me want to read and read and read and never stop! I was very intrigued throughout the first half of book. The whole world and concept completely engulfed me and felt like I was with Callie and Logan all this time. It was amazing. However once they were at Harmony - a "safe" haven for people with abilities & bad memories - things started to drag a little bit. It wasn't so action-packed and thrilling anymore. Too bad, because I really enjoyed those scenes. It was still good though!

"You make me feel like I belong. You've always made me feel that way."

Some of the characters also have psychic abilities. The ones that have these abilities are constantly trying to hide them because if the government finds out they'll most likely be taken into custody so they can be tested on. I found this very interesting and was looking forward to finding out a lot more about these abilities.

The ending was ... unexpected? I mean, sure, I could've guessed it and I think at some point it also crossed my mind but I didn't think Callie would really go through with this decision. Couldn't she have done something else? Hmmm. Either way, I'm curious for the second book and as it seems it'll be out of Jessa's POV. Interesting! Despite everything, I think it could've been better - there were things that disturbed or annoyed me a bit but it's very enjoyable and kept me curious and I definitely don't regret reading it!

www.aworldbetweenfoldedpages.blogspot.com
______________________

24th January:
Really enjoyed this book! The whole concept is AMAZING and super interesting! The ending was ... unexpected and I actually thought it would be different but yeah, I'm excited for book 2! GIVE IT TO ME NOW!
Profile Image for Melissa.
744 reviews133 followers
September 7, 2017
Forget Tomorrow is funny, swoony, and has a complicated futuristic world built around memories that are sent back from the person's future self.. On their 17th birthday, every boy and girl in this society receives a memory from their future selves that tells them who they'll be. Perhaps it'll reveal that they're meant to be an award-winning scientist, the next chairwoman for the Future Memory Agency, or a gold medalist in swimming. Callie, however, finds out that she's going to be a criminal. She's destined to murder her little sister, who has gifts beyond what most human beings are capable of having.

From the very moment Callie finds out what she's meant to do, she does everything in her power to stop the hands of Fate from carrying out it's plan for her. She's a strong, mixed race character with a gift for cooking, and who loves her family more than anything. Sister bonds are something that I love in books, and this one between Callie and Jessa really fits the bill. Moreover, the chemistry between Callie and Logan is great, the obstacles are realistic and unpredictable, and the government and what it's capable of is absolutely menacing.

You want to read this book.
Profile Image for M.
105 reviews14 followers
August 11, 2015
That ending is INSANE!
Profile Image for Karen.
490 reviews94 followers
March 31, 2021

This story was just okay for me. In the reading of Forget Tomorrow, I struggled with the story line, the main character, and the romance.

So in this story every 17 year old gets a memory from their future which is suppose to tell them what to do with their life. Most kids find the right career for them, they see themselves happy and fulfilled in their future. Once in a while a kid gets an atypical memory which shows them a crime, or something awful that happens in their future. If they witness a future crime they are immediately detained. The other thing in this world that could get you detained is having psychic abilities. Callie’s little sister has them, so they try to hide her ability. Callie future memory shows her killing her little sister. So she becomes a criminal and must decide what to do to keep this from happening.

The bad: I really struggled with this story in the middle. I felt like this story kind of jumped around. There were some gaps in the story line that really bothered me. Days go by between chapters and I felt like I missed a lot in the in between. Callie had a very immature view of the world. At first this helps to move the story along, but then her thought process just annoyed me. Her inner dialogue was just rambly. I hated that Callie was so helpless in this story. She is not a good heroine in that she needs saving in almost every chapter. Also, Callie was a bit clueless about her own future. I thought the author dropped major hints in the story. The reader could just follow the bread crumbs where Callie couldn’t see the obvious.

Logan was another problem for me. Logan and Callie were best friends. When Logan’s brother was taken for having psychic abilities he stopped talking to her, for FIVE years. He gets his vision of the future and then he is suddenly back in her life. There were so many obstacles for these two to be together once Callie got her vision that it felt really forced at times.

The good: The story has a good pace. We get to actually move in this story, so we see a lot. The world building was pretty cool. The world had some pretty cool attributes. Callie is a conflicted character and she tries to do the right thing. She goes out of her way to hide her sister’s ability, and that is really an honorable thing. The love she feels for her sister was pretty obvious and I felt bad for her to be separated from her. Logan was a very like able character and his abilities are really cool. Although the romance annoyed me at times, I liked where these two ended up. Logan is pretty much a hero in this story. I liked how devoted he was to Callie, once he came back into her life that is.

The beginning of this story did a good job of hooking me. We start right off with something fun and then it builds so that by the ending we can see why Callie is still conflicted about the future. The ending more than made up for the rambly thoughts through the middle. I almost didn’t finish this story, but I am so glad I stuck with it. I think this could be the start of something really good. It could be that the author was just setting up the scene for us in this first book. The ending definitely left me wanting more.

Conclusion: This is one of those books you need to stick with to really appreciate. I will definitely be checking out the sequel to this story.
Profile Image for Giselle.
1,055 reviews911 followers
October 17, 2016
The notion of a world where at age seventeen, one receives a memory straight from the future. Letting one know if they'll be successful or happy, or a criminal. Reminded me of the movie "Minority Report" with Tom Cruise, only in YA form. Going on the run, finding out why her future memory is happening has the exact same drive of plot like the movie and I loved it.

I liked Callie. She was utterly devoted to her family, though I wish I could have seen a bit more development with her sister to really make it seem like she would do anything for her. Also the romance was upped to the max. There is a lot of swoon and if you're like me, you will find if cheesy. I eye-rolled a lot, but it's also because I'm pretty darn picky with my romance reads. I liked the fact that Callie is bi-racial, Asian and White and that it didn't define her as a character nor did it make it her entire personality. It was mentioned once and that's it. Then there were the other characters like Logan whom I'm sure lots of girls will swoon for. I sure did because I love swimmers :) He was sweet and kind. I didn't like how his older brother was bossing him around and kind of wanted to punch him as well.

The science fiction part was wholly interesting. Especially when it was described in the most simple form so I as a reader could understand. Sometimes too much detail breaks the flow and I would get lost (I'm looking at you "The Martian") but this wasn't the case with "Forget Tomorrow."

"Forget Tomorrow" is an intriguing sci-fi read that's quick, informative and entertaining. How I wished I had the sequel because that ending was pretty brutal.

RATING 3/5

QUOTES

"Why take a risk when you can bet on a sure thing?"

"If I had someone like you in my life, I would never leave to begin with."

"If you can fight the future, then I can let go of the past."
Profile Image for Carol.
320 reviews567 followers
September 27, 2016
This book was sent to me by the publisher through BookTubeTours in exchange for an honest review.

My initial thoughts:
Let me start of by saying that this book had a good cast of characters, an intriguing futuristic setting, and the writing was solid. Usually those three things would make a very interesting novel, but for some reason it didn't this time around. The story line pacing was irregular. It didn't flow well. The events felt rushed and under developed. I think if the characters would've been more fleshed out I would have been able to invest my time and emotions to a point where I would've cared more about them.

A more in depth review to come.

Book Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F05XU...
Profile Image for Dana Ferm.
1 review
November 5, 2015
This book was amazing! It was very well written. I love the relationship between Callie and Jessa! I can totally relate with the characters. Quick and easy read! I can't wait for the next book to be released!
Profile Image for Josh.
27 reviews
November 7, 2015

I had the distinct honor of reading first time Author Pintip Dunn's new book, Forget Tomorrow. This past Tuesday, November 3rd, the book hit stores nationwide and has already gathered quite a following. Personally speaking I blazed through the pages in a matter of days and could probably be considered one of Mrs. Dunn's new groupies. The story-line was fast paced, mysterious, and grabs you from the very start. Simply put: I loved it! With that being said let's push aside all of the blushing school boy banter and dig into the book.

SPOILER ALERT BEWARE!
This Dystopian story is set in a futuristic world where every boy and girl at the age of 17 gets their future. Said future could be that you are destined for fame as an actress, athlete, a world renowned chef, or perhaps, as in the main characters point of view, a criminal. In Callie's vision, she sees herself murdering her gifted younger sister. Horrified by this revelation she sacrifices everything to ensure her sister safety. Taking dangerous risks, tempting fate, and willing to change her future, Callie will stop at nothing.

What young reader would not find this fascinating and at the same time just a little bit scary? Heck, a glimpse of your future at any age would probably be pretty startling.

Anyhow, I digress. Before Callie can process what the memory means, she is arrested and placed in Limbo―a hellish prison for those destined to break the law. With the help of her childhood crush, Logan, a boy she hasn’t spoken to in five years, she escapes.

(Wait a second. Have I neglected to mention that people in the future have elevated abilities such as telekinesis and possibly teleportation?)

Fleeing from a government that is researching and collecting individuals with these abilities, the young duo ends up in a community that protects the weak and hunted. Here Callie learns about the plights and stories of other victims and other facts drive her to formulate a plan to save her sister.

Without revealing too much of the story I leave you with this: If I could say anything to convince you to read this book it would be the shocker of an ending. I thoroughly enjoyed the refreshing conclusion and applaud the authors direction. If you are looking for cliffhangers then check out Forget Tomorrow. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Stay tuned readers, the next book in this series is called Remember Yesterday. The release date is scheduled for October 4, 2016 by Entangled Teen.

Find out more here: http://www.entangledpublishing.com/fo...

USA Today calls this YA sci-fi a "must-read" and Buzzfeed.com says it will have you "on the edge of your seat!"

Author: Pintip Dunn
When her first-grade teacher asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up, Pintip replied, “An author.” Although she has pursued other interests over the years, this dream has never wavered.
Pintip graduated from Harvard University, magna cum laude, with an A.B. in English Literature and Language. She received her J.D. at Yale Law School, where she was an editor of the YALE LAW JOURNAL.
Pintip is represented by literary agent Beth Miller of Writers House. She is a 2012 RWA Golden Heart® finalist and a 2014 double-finalist.
She lives with her husband and children in Maryland.

*Disclosure: This book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.*
Profile Image for Ashley Arihi.
36 reviews19 followers
August 10, 2017
I originally had to DNF this at I don't know when because I couldn't bring myself to care. I applaud anyone who writes and manages to finish whole books. That's a huge deal and something to be proud of -- but I'm pretty positive this got picked up for a book deal because it's sci-fi dystopian...ya know, something that used to fly off the shelves because of books like The Hunger Games, Divergent, etc.

The concept itself is what made me want to pick this book up; it had so much promise. However, two chapters into reading this and it already felt forced/flat/confusing. None of the characters are even slightly original and they constantly make stupid decisions. The main character is every female teen protagonist I've encountered in YA, who throws any sense of individuality and logic out the window for the love interest before the halfway mark. AND HE WASN'T EVEN A GOOD LOVE INTEREST. For two people who haven't talked to each other in five years, they're suddenly obsessed with one another and it genuinely made me roll my eyes to the point where I thought they'd get stuck. Two of the worst things books can be to me are: 1) boring and 2) nonsensical. Sometimes, nonsensical works (like if we were to say that bits of Alice in Wonderland are nonsensical), but the characters in here were actually just dumb as hell.

I'm disappointed this book didn't work out for me. There were too many things that didn't add up, or rubbed me the wrong way with the characters and their idiotic decision making. Plus, there's a large portion of the book where absolutely nothing relevant or important happens. Like whatsoever. This book wasn't as good as it could have been and I definitely won't be continuing with the series.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 574 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.