Start by marking “The Story of the Root Children” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Root Children

The Story of the Root Children

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  667 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
This is a classic story of the changing seasons. The root children spend the winter asleep. When spring comes, they wake, sew themselves new gowns, and clean and paint the beetles and bugs. All summer they play in fields, ponds and meadows before returning in the autumn to Mother Earth, who welcomes them home and puts them to bed once more.

Also available in a mini version
Published June 15th 1990 by Floris Books (first published 1906)

Apr 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Sibylle von Olfers' art
Sibylle von Olfers' Etwas von den Wurzelkindern is likely my very favourite German language picture book (I would even place it among my favourite picture books of all time). I loved this book when my grandmother first read it to me when I was a toddler, and I still love both the text (the original German text) and the luminous "Jugendstil" illustrations with all of my heart and soul (a wonderful homage to spring, to rebirth, to joy, and to the loving care that Mother Earth gives to all). For a ...more
Dec 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Sibylle von Olfers, anyone who loves Jugendstil illustrations
After being rather disappointed with the text (the translation, or rather the so-called translation) of The Story of the Root-Children, I am glad to have been quite pleasantly surprised with and by both the text and the quilted illustrations of Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale. I have to admit that while the original illustrations by Sibylle von Olfers will always remain a personal favourite, I was and continue to be wowed and impressed by Sieglinde Schoen-Smith's quiltwork an ...more
Manybooks
Sibylle von Olfers' Etwas von den Wurzelkindern is one of my all-time favourite picture books. I loved this book as a child (and have fond memories of both of my grandmothers reading it to me), and I still love both the simple, poetic text and the luminous "Jugendstil" illustrations. Sibylle von Olfers' masterpiece represents a glowing, loving homage to spring, youth, rebirth, joy, and the loving care Mother Earth gives to all. For a picture book originally published in 1906, this (in my humble ...more
Kathryn
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Updated review: For some reason, GoodReads placed my review of "Story of the Root-Children" (the original with illustrations by von Olfers) under the newly published book "Mother Earth and Her Children" BASED on von Olfers' original. I have now read the "new" book and, while I found the quilt to be an absolute marvel (wow! no wonder the quilter won so many awards for her work!) I felt that it lacked the charm of the original illustrations and would probably only give it three stars at most.

The b
Lisa Vegan
I read this version, illustrated by Sieglinde Schoen Smith, in the form of a quilt that she made. The original book appears to have an edition illustrated by the author. This edition is translated by Jack Zipes and from what I’ve read, it’s also not the full original text that Sibylle von Olfers wrote over a century ago. I am curious about the other edition.

The quilt is lovely, especially the last frame that shows the entire pattern. I do love quilts and this has such a detailed pattern. The boo
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The incredible illustrations in this book are details of a modern quilt inspired by Sibylle von Olfers' classic storybook Mother Earth and Her Children. This book was inspired by the quilt which explores the changing of the seasons and lightly talks about the circle of life. When Mother Earth calls her children to prepare for spring, the earthly children come and stretch before they make themselves beautiful and ready for the season to change. They dust off the bumblebees, scrub the beetles, pai ...more
Mary
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful story! Written as a German tale in 1906, Sieglinde Schoen Smith retells it in the beauty of quilt.
The illustrations are of the actual quilt that Ms. Smith created from this precious tale of Mother Earth, her children, and the seasons of the year.
Krista
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful little read that my daughter loves!
Emily
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Story of the Root Children.

What a wonderful little book! I found an online edition, complete with artwork, at childrenslibrary.org. Unfortunately it was in the original German so I had my husband translate it for me (over the phone while he was out of town for work--what a fabulous guy!). It's difficult to translate poetry, so I'm sure I missed out on some of the magic, but I picked up the gist of the story. The root children are little flowers and weeds whom Mother Earth awakens to prepare
Judy Lindow
This is a mini-version of Sibylle von Olfers' classic story, "The Root Children". The Story of the Root Children is Sibylle von Olfers' (1881-1916) best known work. Her blend of natural observation and use of simple design has led to comparisons with Kate Greenaway and Elsa Beskow.

All through the winter the Root Children are asleep underground, but when spring comes Mother Nature wakes them up. Then the Root Children are busy cleaning and painting the beetles and bugs. When summer comes they pla
Crystal Marcos
I enjoyed the illustrations in Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale. I haven't read the original version and hope to someday if it is ever translated fully into English. I did not care much for the rhyming text in this version. It didn't flow very well, especially as a read aloud. I understand this was a shorter version than the original. I liked the additional informative text in the back of the book.
Judy
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Why is the art so much more attractive in the old editions! I've only read English translations of this book, so I was pleased to see Gundula's comments. Too bad I can't read German. I guess I have to wait for another translator to tackle this.

Joy in nature! The awakening of flowers and insects in the spring! And the little root children, busily helping everything along. A gentle story.
Tammy
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Creative way to tell about spring.
Jen
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Beautiful illustrations.
Danielle Rocke
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I love this book. Beautiful illustrations and a wonderful story to introduce science in an imaginative way.
Victoria
An interesting look at the cycle of the three seasons and how the earth 'wakes up' from its' winter slumber.
Amy
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k
My older kid was lukewarm about this when I read it to her years ago, but my younger kid adores it. Her favorite page is where the Root Children are cleaning and painting the bugs and bees.
Daisy
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Fab vintage illustrations.
Patriciahoperose
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I love the illustrations.
Yourmidcoastmama
One of our springtime favourites!
Alice Ball
A condensed version of Sibylle von Olfers first book, The Story of the Root Children. The illustrations reflect the original through quilt and needlepoint. The text is shortened and rhymes. A wonderful journey through the seasons.
Kamila Zikmundová
Styl ilustrací není zrovna můj styl, ale má to jisté kouzlo.
Tracey
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I love this author/illustrator and would own everything by her. This is a beautiful nature-themed tale for children.
Alice Ball
Emergent spring story with von Olfers classic early 20th century illustrations.
Cat
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My mother and her sisters enjoyed this story when they were young. My cousins and I were lucky enough to have been read the stories. And now our children are reading them! Wonderful nature tale of how the earth children enjoy the seasons. Best read in German, but the English version is alright. Illustrations were so beautiful.
Julia
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was just a book that we came across without looking for it while I am glad that I was able to give it a chance. The artwork is just gorgeous and the story is fun enough convey the reader into an underworld location as the world starts to waken up for Spring after its long nap.

The writing is very easy and simple to follow along while most kids will appreciate it. The story to keep it in short format is a bit of a jumper from one event to another instead of elaborating but it doesn't take a
Allison
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschoolers and up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 CBYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
I love stories about mystical beings and the Root-children are such creatures. I believe a lot of children would love them too but they seem to have fallen a bit out of fashion these days with so much literature cemented in more realistic themes. I feel that the imagination is a most precious thing and that stories like this one feed the imagination in a way unmatched by realism.

The artistry in the illustrations of The Story of the Root-Children is magnificent. If I owned more than one copy of t
sabisteb
1906 veröffentlichte Sibylle von Olfers das Buch „Etwas von den Wurzelkindern“. In diesem Buch leben die Wurzelkinder (wer auch immer sie sein sollen) mit ihrer Mutter Erde unter der Erde bei den Pflanzenwurzeln. Im Frühjahr nähen sich die Wurzelkinder selber bunte Kleidchen, malen Käfer an und vertrödeln den Rest der warmen Jahreszeit in Wald und Flur, bis sie im Herbst wieder unter die Wurzeln verschwinden.
Als Kind hatte ich keinen Kontakt zu diesem Buch. Wahrscheinlich muss man es als Kind l
T Crockett
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I read this with a 5 yr old. The first few pages we were both full of curiosity and had all sorts of questions about the premise. Were they people? Fairies? Something new? Why were they underground? Did they like it there? Were there any boys?

Once spring arrives and the children emerge (the point when I hoped for some further explanation and my audience hoped for something to happen), the book becomes almost completely descriptive. It was disappointing, especially after such an intriguing start.
Susan
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This is a retelling of an old German folk tale, with illustrations that are pictures of a quilt created based on the story. The story line is a cute one about the changing seasons, involving little children (called "root children" in the German original) who sleep through the winter and are woken in the spring by Mother Nature. The quilt is amazingly intricate and well-done. But I just didn't see the story grabbing current children.
  • Peter in Blueberry Land: Mini Edition
  • Das kleine Ich-bin-ich
  • Martine à la ferme
  • Jamela's Dress
  • Lotta's Bike
  • Uppo-Nalle (Uppo-Nalle, #1)
  • Barbapapa