Start by marking “The Story of the Root Children” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Root Children

The Story of the Root Children

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  247 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This is a classic story of the changing seasons. The root children spend the winter asleep. When spring comes, they wake, sew themselves new gowns, and clean and paint the beetles and bugs. All summer they play in fields, ponds and meadows before returning in the autumn to Mother Earth, who welcomes them home and puts them to bed once more.

Also available in a mini version
Published April 1st 1990 by Floris Books

Manybooks
Apr 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Sibylle von Olfers' art
Sibylle von Olfers' Etwas von den Wurzelkindern is likely my very favourite German language picture book (I would even place it among my favourite picture books of all time). I loved this book when my grandmother first read it to me when I was a toddler, and I still love both the text (the original German text) and the luminous "Jugendstil" illustrations with all of my heart and soul (a wonderful homage to spring, to rebirth, to joy, and to the loving care that Mother Earth gives to all). For a ...more
Kathryn
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Updated review: For some reason, GoodReads placed my review of "Story of the Root-Children" (the original with illustrations by von Olfers) under the newly published book "Mother Earth and Her Children" BASED on von Olfers' original. I have now read the "new" book and, while I found the quilt to be an absolute marvel (wow! no wonder the quilter won so many awards for her work!) I felt that it lacked the charm of the original illustrations and would probably only give it three stars at most.

The b
Judy
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Why is the art so much more attractive in the old editions! I've only read English translations of this book, so I was pleased to see Gundula's comments. Too bad I can't read German. I guess I have to wait for another translator to tackle this.

Joy in nature! The awakening of flowers and insects in the spring! And the little root children, busily helping everything along. A gentle story.
Tammy
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Creative way to tell about spring.
Jen
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Beautiful illustrations.
Danielle Rocke
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I love this book. Beautiful illustrations and a wonderful story to introduce science in an imaginative way.
Victoria
An interesting look at the cycle of the three seasons and how the earth 'wakes up' from its' winter slumber.
Amy
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k
My older kid was lukewarm about this when I read it to her years ago, but my younger kid adores it. Her favorite page is where the Root Children are cleaning and painting the bugs and bees.
Daisy
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Fab vintage illustrations.
Patriciahoperose
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I love the illustrations.
Yourmidcoastmama
One of our springtime favourites!
Cat
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My mother and her sisters enjoyed this story when they were young. My cousins and I were lucky enough to have been read the stories. And now our children are reading them! Wonderful nature tale of how the earth children enjoy the seasons. Best read in German, but the English version is alright. Illustrations were so beautiful.
Julia
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was just a book that we came across without looking for it while I am glad that I was able to give it a chance. The artwork is just gorgeous and the story is fun enough convey the reader into an underworld location as the world starts to waken up for Spring after its long nap.

The writing is very easy and simple to follow along while most kids will appreciate it. The story to keep it in short format is a bit of a jumper from one event to another instead of elaborating but it doesn't take a
Allison
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschoolers and up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 CBYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
I love stories about mystical beings and the Root-children are such creatures. I believe a lot of children would love them too but they seem to have fallen a bit out of fashion these days with so much literature cemented in more realistic themes. I feel that the imagination is a most precious thing and that stories like this one feed the imagination in a way unmatched by realism.

The artistry in the illustrations of The Story of the Root-Children is magnificent. If I owned more than one copy of t
T Crockett
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I read this with a 5 yr old. The first few pages we were both full of curiosity and had all sorts of questions about the premise. Were they people? Fairies? Something new? Why were they underground? Did they like it there? Were there any boys?

Once spring arrives and the children emerge (the point when I hoped for some further explanation and my audience hoped for something to happen), the book becomes almost completely descriptive. It was disappointing, especially after such an intriguing start.
Sally
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
“You must all go to sleep until I wake you up again in the springtime”

Charming pictures of the little Root Children whom Mother Earth wakens in the spring as it’s time to make new clothes in the colour of their flower, before cleaning and painting the ladybirds and bees. I can’t say a great deal happens – they dance and paddle in the stream before returning underground in the autumn, but it’s quite a sweet tale.
Marmot
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think I liked this version (original paintings) better than the other version I have (quilted illustrations), because my kids found the story easier to understand - here it is written as a story with quite a bit more text, whereas the other book is written in rhyming verses. But they are both really good!
Iain Russell
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was my sister and my favourite children's book. Beautiful story and illustrations. I was disappointed however to discover that another author, Violet E. Rawlings copied the story and decided to call it her own "April Without Spring". Copycat!. Too bad Violet's retelling of this story is no match and her illustrations are amateurish. I give The Story of the Root Children a 5/5.
Karen Snizek
Cute story, this is one of the authors that gets a lot of praise in the 'waldorf' community but in my opinion it's Nothing that I would get all hyped up over.
Theresa
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Maceo got this for his birthday. It's a cute and fun story.
Denise
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Children's book that all will enjoy
Magical
Julia
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-childhood
This is a beautifully written story about the personification of Mother Earth and her children.
Keishua