Start by marking “Drunken Fireworks” as Want to Read:
Drunken Fireworks

Drunken Fireworks

Alden McCausland and his mother are what they call accident rich; thanks to an unexpected life-insurance policy payout and a winning Big Maine Millions scratcher, Alden and his Ma are able to spend their summers down by Lake Abenaki, idly drinking their days away in a three-room cabin with an old dock and a lick of a beach.

Across the lake, they can see what real rich looks
Audiobook, 2 pages
Published June 30th 2015 by Simon Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about Drunken Fireworks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drunken Fireworks

Start your review of Drunken Fireworks
Rebecca McNutt
For once a King story that isn't rooted in horror but instead in comedy, Drunken Fireworks pulls together two sides of a lake in Maine: drunk rednecks who by a stroke of luck are able to afford a cottage, and an Italian family who must have mafia connections (of course).
description
As usual, there's more than meets the eye in these ridiculous characters and their private lives, as they fight an epic battle using fireworks. King's writing (in audiobook format, which was kind of awkward because I prefer
Calista
Stephen King does funny. It's not bust-a-gut funny; it's funny.

It takes place over several 4th of July Holidays. Two families are trying to out-do each other with fireworks displays. Each year the ante is upped.

It's a New England setting with some great characters. I had a fun time with this quick listen.

I see this is also in the 'Bazaar of Bad Dreams' book.
Melki
Fear not - this is a funny one by the King.

When some poor white trash hit it big with a scratch-off ticket, they buy a cozy cottage by the lake.

Alden and his Ma like nothing more than to spend a summer evening sitting on the dock, sipping an array of alcoholic beverages. But just across the lake sits the palatial home of the Massimo family, some "Eye-talians" (King uses an even less flattering term) who undoubtedly have mob connections.

One 4th of July, Alden and Ma light some sparklers. The
Jon Nakapalau
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW! A book all politicians need to read - more relevant even today with the missile launching contest going on all over the globe.
Edward Lorn
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Drunken Fireworks" will be available in print in November when The Bazaar of Bad Dreams releases. Until then, we have this audiobook version narrated by Tim Sample. Oh, did I mention this came out today. Because it did. HAPPY STEPHEN KING RELEASE DAY!

I'm not sure this story will be as good in writing as it is as an audiobook, but I wanna believe it will be. Part of the fun I had was listening to Sample's hilarious delivery and character acting. I found myself laughing out loud more than once,
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I had every intention of reading this on Independence Day. All hail Goldblum . . . .

But when I found myself about to pass out from heat stroke and 15 minutes to spare before my oldests baseball game this past weekend I decided to bump this to the forefront in an attempt to keep my brain occupied before it fried inside my skull.

King begins this tale with a little anecdote about a golden oldie cruising the local grocery in her
Carol
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
OMGobsmaking goodness gracious!

An annual 4th of July firework competition across the banks of Lake Abenaki between the got rich quick McCauslands, Alden and his Ma, and the born moneyed Massimo family, ignites with hilarious results in this short story by Stephen King. Im a fireworks fanatic and live in a lake community, so could really relate to the story. I also got a kick, not a literal one yet, out of the drinks Alden and his Ma consumed.

Fireworks, Stephen King and the 4th of July; not
Kimberly Dawn
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Stephen King short stories.

Language Alert: not appropriate for children

Free Audiobook below:

Ruth Turner
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephen-king

Audiobook - Narrated by Tim Sample Exceptional!

Im not a great fan of Kings short stories, but this one was a lot of fun.

Going back to Castle County I was predisposed to like this story and I did, but for reasons other than that.

After the first few words I felt a smile spread across my face and there it stayed until the end, except for the many, many laugh out loud moments.

It will be interesting to see, when I read the story, how it stacks up against the audio. I think it will hold its own
Carol
3.5 Stars....... Stephen King's Drunken Fireworks is basically a fireworks pissing contest between crazy neighbors that does have an explosive outcome, and is a fun audio book appropriate for the 4th of July, but, unfortunately did not blow me away!

(only my second audio book ever so I'm pretty much a newbie critic here)

Raeleen Lemay
This was a fun little story! Definitely makes me want to check out more of King's short stories.
Jenny Baker
I love Stephen King! He's one of my favorite authors and I typically enjoy his narrative voice and dialogue. In this short story, I think he goes a little overboard with the main character's dialect. The dialect would have been fine in small snippets of dialogue, but not in the entire short story. After a while, it was hard to understand what the narrator was saying.
Heather Codename: ♕Dutchess♕
omg, this was hilarious. Extremely short story and not horror at all, I look forward to reading it again when I get to the book itself.
Michael
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of things you have to admire about Stephen King is how he is willing to keep pushing the boundaries of the publishing world. He's not just content to churn out best-seller after best-seller in hard-cover format, but instead he's willing to take a chance or two along the way to challenge not only himself but his readers. Some of them work very well (The Green Mile) and some have withered on the vine (The Vine).

King has also been releasing stories via audiobooks for the past dozen or so years
11811 (Eleven)
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Amusing
Krista Regester
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey guys, Steve can be funny too ok?
Obsidian
Jun 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
The last narrated work by Stephen King that I hands down loved, was Blaze. I read it during my drive back and forth to my family's home during Christmas in 2007. I loved ever aspect of it and just kept switching the CDs in and out while driving and found myself lured by the voice of Ron McLarty. Too bad I can't say the same for Drunken Fireworks.

This short story is narrated by Tim Sample and as it goes on, it becomes increasingly hard to decipher what Sample is saying. Speaking in a typical
Mark
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Stephen king
Recommended to Mark by: Stephen Kings reputation
My first Stephen King audio book, the story itself is not a roman-sized vehicle but a short tale that lasts two Cd's.

The story in itself is quite funny and well constructed even if the ending is somewhat forced. It is about two families in a battle of whom has the most impressive 4th of July fireworks with an inescapable bad ending. Let's say that King has written better short stories and leave it at that.

The brilliance of this audio-book lies no so much in the tale but the performer Tim Sample.
♥ Sandi ❣

A nice little short story - sans horror - told in the Stephen King fashion.

A contest, if you will, between the down-home good ole boy and his rich Italian neighbor across the lake. Each year, for four years, they try to out do each other in shooting the biggest and best fireworks off across their mutual lake. Finally Alden thinks he has the answer.

This final year the fireworks take control.
Kristin
May 13, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: audiobook
CBS Corp., intends to stream the audiobook for Stephen Kings short story titled Drunken Fireworks FREE on July 2 across its new audio platform Play.it. Narrator Tim Sample describes the story as funny, its fair to say that Mr. King has a darker sense of humor than most. The set-up for the tale is a summer fireworks rivalry gone awry. ...more
Timothy Ward
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, audiobooks, 2015
Stephen King has a new short story out only available in audiobook from Simon and Schuster, narrated by Tim Sample, and its called Drunken Fireworks.

After having experienced the audiobook of his novel 11/22/63, and finding it one of the best Ive heard, I was excited to see what King had in mind with this project. Kings reputation all but promises to bring characters that come alive through their dialogue, and if Tim Sample and his audio producers create an experience half as powerful as
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
I have no idea how I got this audio book, usually I only get Memoirs on audio, so mystery.

Joshua Jorgensen
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
King delivers an explosive little story that is both hilarious and enthralling. Definitely perfect for the 4th of July. King has the uncanny ability of sucking you into the story, and creating characters that are so familiar and relatable. Don't miss out on this new gem from the Master!
Paul E. Morph
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This Stephen King short story was released as an 'audio exclusive', so I bought it on Audible as that seemed to be the only way I'd get to read this tale. I was slightly irritated to find, just a few days later, that it is going to be included in King's next short story collection. I could have just waited and read it with the rest of the book, which I would have bought anyway. Grrr...

This quibble aside, I really liked this story. It's full of King's variety of slightly twisted humour, which I
Joyce
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a great marketing ploy to release this single short short story from King's upcoming collection on audio. King's an audio fan and surely he wrote this to be heard--and got Maine humorist Tim Sample to do the honors with his authentic Down East accent. it's a vivid, over-the-top performance of a politically incorrect tale of two families--the local McCausland's and their neighbors from Rhode Island summering in Maine--and the "Fourth of July Arms Race," as they try to out do each other with ...more
Cheryl
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I never thought it possible that there would be something by Stephen King that I would not enjoy. Having lived in Maine myself for a few years, I used to love listening to the people who were born and raised there talk. I did not however enjoy the man doing the reading of Drunken Fireworks.
Jeanette
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The narrator was excellent. The dialect and mood 5 star as was the descriptive place setting. Short stories never blow me away and least of all those centered on the explosive. But this one did have excellent flavor and zip.

Also take my reaction with a grain of salt. Because knocking off an entire star for me is that I used to witness this similar bout (3 sided not two for all sides of our cove) for at least a decade on my inland lake. Purposely I vacated to IL every July 2 after finding an
Carrie
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
I can really picture this audio book being sold with a warning label of "Do not try this at home". It's basically a story of how these two feuding families go back and forth each year trying to outdo each other with the best fireworks show. The narrator of the story though is talking of their drinking... thus the "drunken" fireworks so obviously this was on it's way to a bad conclusion.

Not a bad story but not really what I expect from King either. Took a while to get used to the accent of the
SheriC (PM)
A silly story about competitive neighbors. Mildly entertaining, but not one of his best.

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library. Tim Sample provides an enthusiastic performance. Hes definitely all-in.

Bill
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A friendly competition between neighbors gets a little out of hand. A good short from the King.
Stephen King Fans: Drunken Fireworks 4 54 Jun 30, 2015 09:08AM

• Road Rage
  • The Breathing Method
  • Roadwork
  • Dear Laura
  • The Dummy Meets the Mummy! (Goosebumps SlappyWorld, #8)
  • Tinaca Jones
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Full Throttle
  • Jippa
  • The One and Only Bob
  • Atta
  • Cardcaptor Sakura : Vol 1
  • Dark is the Moon (The View from the Mirror, #3)
  • The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
  • Skin Trade
  • Ghost: Thirteen Haunting Tales to Tell
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, ...more