Start by marking “The Mood Guide to Fabric and Fashion: The Essential Guide from the World's Most Famous Fabric Store” as Want to Read:

“Designers, we’re going to Mood!”

More than 10 years ago, Tim Gunn and Project Runway introduced millions of viewers to New York’s ultimate fabric mecca, Mood Fabrics. Now, the experts behind this fabric power- house bring their fabric and fashion know-how—plus their behind-the-scenes stories—to the sewing public. The Mood Guide to Fabric and Fashion is the ultimate guide f
Published September 1st 2015 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Mood Guide to Fabric and Fashion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mood Guide to Fabric and Fashion

Rachel Pollock
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: costuming
I looked at this book as a potential text for a short class I’m teaching on textile taxonomy, and while it is not appropriate for that purpose, it’s a book that I love just as a fun read. The introduction is by Tim Gunn and Mood’s approach to the selling of fabrics is well served by this overall survey style book on fabrics and fibers.
Beth
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Skimmed this book, mostly looking at the pictures. Mood is the famous fabric store in New York City featured on the show "Project Runway." This was an interesting introduction to different types of fabrics and their uses, and would be best for someone learning to sew or looking to improve those skills.
V Mignon
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cam, on-sewing
I really wish this book had been in existence when I first started sewing. This is a great primer on the world of textiles and fabric, with tips and tricks on how to survive the sewing process. I'm considering purchasing a copy of it to keep around for reference.
Becca Zurbrick
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't usually count non-fiction books like this toward my yearly total, but this one I read cover to cover, so imma going to! Really great information about the weave structures and loom standards for lots of different fabrics. Lots of good tips for working with tricky fabrics.
Kim
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, crafts-diy
After visiting Mood several times and a fairly lazy sewer, I am so glad I picked this book up from the library this week! It's a perfect mix of beautiful photos and sharing what you need to see on different fabrics and what all the fabrics even mean! Highly recommend!
Lauren
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clean
Wonderful book for fabric info. Beautiful pictures and great information.
Gini
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whether you're a fashion student, a lover of sumptuous fabrics, a vintage store owner or anything in between, you'll want this book for reference! You may wonder if the vintage, heirloom dress you have is chiffon or organza? This book masterfully explains the textures and compositions of most all fabrics you'll ever encounter. As a small business owner who deals mostly vintage items, I found this book to be very helpful when writing descriptions as well as answering customers questions. I would ...more
Dave Laskowski
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting and informative read

I could have used this book 50 years ago when I first started sewing. It has most of the information needed to make the correct choices in fabric. Too bad fashion fabric stores are hard to find but ordering swatches can solve some of the problems in not being able to do the things suggested in the book when choosing fabric. The book will be a valued piece in my collection.
Mardee
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book, fully of great photographs and lots of useful information. I definitely recommend this for any sewist.
Anne
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sewing
This would not be my first choice in a fabric guide - the history and background to the fibres is somewhere between inaccurate and fanciful.

It has pretty pictures of fabric.
Selby Gunter
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-books
The Mood Guide to Fabric and Fashion is perfect for anyone interested in learning about fabric types and how they are used in fashion. You can read my entire review at Wavoki Crafts.
Patty R.
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not as extensive as maybe Claire Shaeffer or Sandra Betzina's books, but good information, history of Mood and nice pics.
Lynette
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting introductory chapters. Would make a fine addition to a reference library with all the highly detailed chapters on the various textiles available for garment construction.
Kim
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice fashion book, but more suited for someone who can sew.
Bookish
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
For catalog browsers, please note that this is not about choosing fabric/fabric in relation to one's mood.
Robyn