Start by marking “Confessions of a Once Fashionable Mum” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Once Fashionable Mum

Confessions of a Once Fashionable Mum

Successful hubbie? Tick. Facebook-worthy baby? Tick. Bikini-body six weeks after giving birth? Um … not so much.

Fashion PR exec Ally Bloom got her happy ending. Okay, her marriage might be showing the odd crack, her battleaxe mother-in-law might have come to stay, and she might not be the yummy mummy she'd imagined, but it's nothing a decent night's sleep and a firm commit
Published May 2015 by Nero (first published April 22nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Once Fashionable Mum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Once Fashionable Mum

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Confessions of a Once Fashionable Mum by Georgia Madden is an entertaining, lighthearted tale about modern motherhood, marriage and fashion.

"I would be the type of yummy mummy real mothers could relate to, and had even coined the perfect hashtag for my instagram feed - #FashMum."

Being a SAHM is not quite working out the way Ally Bloom hoped. She adores her baby daughter but she has no interest in sitting cross-legged in a dirty school hall singing The Wiggles greatest hits with the 'Happy Mummi
Deborah
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was a tad worried that former PR fashion exec Ally Bloom was going to be annoyingly superficial, but thankfully she was far from it. Sure she's been existing in a world of fashion and wealth and wannabes but hasn't entirely quaffed the Kool Aid. She's sufficiently self-deprecating that it's hard not to connect with her.

Ally joins the Happy Mummies (a playgroup) on the advice of her doctor and discovers it's her worst nightmare.

The playgroup mums Madden offers us are extreme to say the least.
Melissa
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I picked this book up on a whim. It was a fun, easy read and it was nice to read a book with a character who found parenting as hard as I did, especially in the beginning.

The main character, Ally, is a first time mum who is finding life as a SAHM challenging. She's struggling to find her place in a new world, including navigating playgroup life, and then her mother-in-law moves in to stay.

It was a fun, easy read.
Jess
Disclaimer: I’m not a mum, but I still really enjoyed this book.

Don’t let the title fool you, you don’t need to be a mum to read and love this book. I’m not and while it didn’t rate as a 5 star read for me, it was still a fantastic book that was well written, entertaining, and with just the right balance of seriousness and humour that made me love the story, and the characters even more so. To be honest I read 90% of this book in one sitting in the bath because it was so good I didn’t want to pu
Michelle
Book #15 for #AWW2015

Confessions of a Once Fashionable Mum is a book that has left me in two minds. The premise is fantastic, it’s well written, it’s funny, it’s snarky and I enjoyed it BUT I wasn’t a huge fan of some of the characters and that did affect my enjoyment a little. Having said that, I think it may actually be more about me than anything else because I was a bit the same with my other weekend read.

Ally is a first time mum and things aren’t going quite the way she expected, she’s suff
Elizabeth
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Obligatory school holiday chick lit. Woman doesn't want to be a stay at home mum. Decides to be a stay at home mum. Nails it. That's about it... Also, it's set in Australia which is really my favourite kind of chick lit these days.
kittykat
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A light semi-enjoyable read if you can tolerate the self-centred and shallow nature of the main character. A few funny one liners and a predictable ending but I've read worse!
Danielle
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun book , great for new mum's
Merima Smajic
Feb 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ally is so shallow and self absorbed at 30 it made me hallucinate. But in the end she learned ...still not redeeming enough. This is why I can't stand 'chic lit'
Hannah
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
First things first - I am not a mum, and I therefore feel as though this book was not targeted for me.

That being said, I did find it extremely easy to read, and lighthearted.

Unfortunately, I did not like the main character at all. I found her to be very selfish, materialistic and judgemental. Although I do believe this was potentially the aim of the character, so I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to respond to her???

I do think the stories told within about children and parenting are definitel
Billyjean
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Confessions of a Once Fashionable Mum is the perfect entertaining, witty and amusing novel, and I found myself nodding along to some of the characters encountered and some of the scenarios described, meaning it was very relatable and relevant. It was devoured in a couple of days, although I was enjoying it so much I didn't want it to end!! Highly recommended, especially for a holiday read.

I received my copy as a Goodreads First Read - thanks Goodreads and Georgia Madden!
Evelyn
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive this book through Goodreads First Reads, so thank you to the author and Goodreads!

As a mother, I thought, hoped, I would at least find the book somewhat interesting. My hopes were more than met, as it is the type of book that keeps you wanting to read more.

It was easy to read, had me laughing out loud at some points (hilarious!), and had a great ending. I would love to see what else Georgia comes up with in the future.
Sarah Pickette
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book in a couple of sittings, nodding my head all the while at its very familiar characters and scenarios! Georgia Madden has a super-sharp wit and the social commentary buried just below the surface of the humour throughout this book is SPOT ON. I plan to buy my sister a copy of this book for her birthday. I know she'll enjoy it as much as I did.
ausbooklover
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I started this book in a reading slump and this book totally took me out of it. I loved the humour and wit of the main character and could totally relate to all the mummy moments. Such a great enjoyable read.

Full review: http://ausbooklover.blogspot.com.au/2...
Emma Mcdougall
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, lately many "chick flick" books have failed to keep my attention and whilst this is still written to the same formula, it was well written and engaging. Best of all, I actually liked the characters, who weren't the complete parody of a "type" that I find so off putting in some books (there was some of that, but it wasn't completely grating and off putting)
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book from the publisher as part of the first reads give-away.

Offering an inside glimpse into the world of an ex PR executive, now a SAHM, Confessions of a Once Fashionable Mum was an enjoyable read.
Ellie
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great fun, brilliantly written novel. I laughed out loud many many times. I read this book with a new born in my arms and it was the perfect companion for late sleepless nights. Looking forward to whatever Georgia Madden produces next.
Nerissa
Mar 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
What a self indulgent spooky brat. I pity any child who has such pathetic all about parents. Trash.
Alice
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Delightfully snarky.
Fun and witty.
Quick, light-hearted easy read.

**Book received for free through Goodreads First Reads**
Oct 21, 2016
Lorraine
May 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Georgia Madden began her career in journalism at Homes & Gardens magazine in London, before returning to Sydney with her young family to work as a freelance writer. She writes for House & Garden, Inside Out and Home Beautiful, as well as a number of interiors websites. She lives in Sydney with her family.
Confessions Of A Once Fashionable Mum is her first novel.