Start by marking “Ai Yori Aoshi, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Ai Yori Aoshi, Vol. 1

Ai Yori Aoshi, Vol. 1 (Ai yori aoshi #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,350 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
On his way home from school one day, Kaoru Hanabishi runs into a young woman in traditional Japanese clothing. She is very lost, and he ends up helping her in her search to find someone. Having failed, the two retire to Kaoru's apartment, where they find out that he was the one she was looking for all along. Her name is Aoi Sakuraba and she has come to be his wife...
Paperback Manga, 192 pages
Published January 6th 2004 by TokyoPop Inc (first published May 28th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Ai Yori Aoshi, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ai Yori Aoshi, Vol. 1

D.M. Dutcher
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: japanese, manga
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
On his way to catch a train, Kaoru Hanabishi comes across a lost, naive young woman named Aoi. She's decided to find her childhood sweetheart and marry him, and she soon realizes that Kaoru is the one she was looking for. She becomes determined to stay with him and be his wife, but, unfortunately, her family won't hear of it. For the sake of her powerful family's reputation, she must marry someone from a family with similar standing. Kaoru was once the Hanabishi heir, and if this were still the ...more
Keith
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite anime and manga stories ever!
I love seeing what is in the manga left out of the anime
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kaoru Hanabisyi is a college student who meets a very pretty girl at a train station.

He finds out that she has come there to meet someone she knew when she was younger. He tries to help her find the person she is looking for but it seems that the person is gone. However, she soon finds out that Kaoru is the person she was looking for after all and she tells him she is going to marry him.

It's obvious that she's totally devoted to him. The situation is very complicated, though, since Karou has bee
Carl J Kennedy
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This particular graphic novel quite surprised me if I am to be honest I just happen to see it on the shelf and thought why not broaden my horizons, I know some feel that this is full of too many predictable paradoxes and find it can get quite boring but if you stick with it you find yourself feeling the story with the characters. It is a very sweet story of remembrance and friendship and I agree the ending is a little anticlimactic but it helps end the story on a gentle note. For life can be bot ...more
Peter
This is a graphic novel I picked up on a whim when I was in fire school. I've always been a sucker for a quality non-girly romance manga, and this first volume has some pronounced cultural differences from the western world. What resonates with me so much in the story is that it is a story of true love, despite hardship and opposition. There are certainly some elements of Japanese culture that come through that I could stand to do without, but Fumizuki-sama does an excellent job with the story.
Sarah (Eternalia) Hammel
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It might be nostalgia. It might be my hopeless romantic side. It might even be that I am just so content with so many things right now but I still love this series. Reading this sent me right back into my gleeful fangirl squeeing that is so rare now to me that when it happens I feel like I have to celebrate. While Ai Yori Aoshi is very... risqué the story and plot fluffs it around so much that you entirely forget that, oh hey, she's totally naked right now. If you're looking for sappy lovey dove ...more
Mayank Agarwal
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Started off nice with the love story theme and expected struggle against the family but went down hill pretty fast. The emphasis on harem and dragging the conclusion for too long spoiled the ride. The art is dated, too much of bad fan service and the ending was so lukewarm.

What is good in the series is a sincere guy instead of the typical ecchi(naughty) one. Also the slice of life style makes it quite lite to read.
Vicki
Jul 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-and-comics
Quite a typical seinen (young men's) harem manga series, where one guy somehow ends up surrounded by a host of young attractive women and hijinks ensue.

What sets this one apart is that the central male character is not a complete waste of space, that and the fact that he is actually in love with one of the girls from the very start and they stay that way until the end.

It was an enjoyable and different example of a harem manga series, with strong artwork.
Amanda Huber
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
This series started out somewhat interesting, but it went downhill from here and the ending is rather anticlimatic. The artistry isn't that good and many of the secondary and tertiary characters are just downright annoying and awful. If you must, watch the anime rather than read this manga. At least the visuals of the anime are good.
  • Negima! Magister Negi Magi, Vol. 2
  • No Need for Tenchi!, Volume 1
  • Kashimashi Vol 2
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, Vol. 4
Kou Fumizuki (文月 晃 Fumizuki Kō?, born 8 March in Fukuoka Prefecture) is a Japanese manga artist. Fumizuki's most famous work to date is Ai Yori Aoshi,[1] a 17-volume work which has been turned into an anime series. His current work is Umi no Misaki, serialized in Young Animal Magazine starting in the fifth issue of 2007. Both of these seinen manga series are harem-type romance comedies in which a ...more
More about Kou Fumizuki...

Ai yori aoshi (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Ai Yori Aoshi, Volume 2
  • Ai Yori Aoshi, Vol. 8
  • Ai Yori Aoshi, Vol. 9
  • Ai Yori Aoshi, Vol. 10
  • Ai Yori Aoshi, Vol. 11
“Uwaaaaahh! Why does taking off traditional clothing sound so suggestive?!
--Kaoru Hanabishi”