Start by marking “From Bad to Wurst (Passport to Peril #10)” as Want to Read:
From Bad to Wurst (Passport to Peril #10)

From Bad to Wurst

(Passport to Peril #10)

It's Oktoberfest and the globetrotting Iowa seniors are sharing their Sounds of Music adventure with several oompah bands whose dream of performing in a famous German beer hall is about to be realized. But when a deadly relic from wartime Munich rains disaster on the group, their dreams are shattered—until an unlikely guest offers them new hope.

The tour hits a sour note wh
ebook
Published December 8th 2015

To ask other readers questions about From Bad to Wurst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Bad to Wurst

Linda
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
I love these books and this one was no exception. I think part of the reason this one was so fun was because I had been to several of the places they toured. The mystery was good and you've got to love Nana and the rest of the seniors.
Marie
Find this and other reviews at Ramblings of a Daydreamer.

Ten books into the Passport to Peril series, and I still don’t know how Maddy Hunter manages to write such fun, funny, unique stories. I’m always impressed, always amused, and always left guessing about the mystery until the last minute.

Every time I pick up one of these books, it feels like being reunited with people I’ve known forever. As soon as I started reading From Bad to Wurst, I was happy to have another chance to catch up with Emil
Betty
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
A series and new author for me. I found excellent descriptions of area during an Bavarian area during an Oktoberfest. As I have not read the earlier books, I had problems separating the characters. The seniors from Iowa are on a sound of music tour of Germany. The group has 4 bands along. After the group lands in Germany walking toward the restaurant an delay munition explosion occurs and one of the group was killed. Emily was injured in the explosion. The group is given the red carpet treatment ...more
Susan
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful escape reading. I love to travel and I love this goofy group of people. It's a nice long series and I hope it continues for a long time. Wish I could join them in real life - the laughs would never end.
Mary Ann
Emily and Etienne are taking the seniors from Iowa to Munich Germany. They are on a German Band Tour and the seniors have their own Bands and are excited to play their instruments at Oktoberfest Celebrations. On the way to their destination, one of the women is killed by an unexploded ordinance and Emily is hurt and so are the German workmen. Some of the people jump in to help those injured, but then Zola, a psychic CPA, is murdered at one of the Oktoberfest celebrations. Now Emily has to find o ...more
Susan
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-europe
Emily and her group of touring Iowa seniors (including her parents and her grandmother) are joined by three oompa bands on a visit to Munich. Emily and husband Etienne have arranged for the bands to play at beer halls in the run-up to Octoberfeste, and the groups are looking forward to their day in the spotlight. Tragically, an unexploded bomb, left over from World War II, is unearthed during some street repairs and one of the band members, an accordionist, is killed. No worries--well, only Emil ...more
April
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Another enjoyable, humorous installment in the Passport to Peril series. I love how irreverent Hunter is in this series. Hers is a particular sense of humor that you typically don't see in other cozy mystery series, but Hunter makes it work well for the people and the setting in her series.

I don't have much else to say about this - it wasn't a world changing read, but it was good for what I wanted at this point in time. Light, fluffy brain candy seems to be the word of the week (or month). Basic
Elizabeth
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Funny! Glad to return to this fun loving series. It combines a few ingredients I love: bad puns, humor, travel and a mystery. This book brought back vivid memories of when Mark and I went to Munich for Oktoberfest. The author has cleverly brought the elderly characters in the book up to modern times. They know how to use the new technologies in fun and ridiculous ways. Etienne was featured in this book. I love him and Emily together.
Meg
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
It has been awhile since I've read a book in this series and was happy to finally revisit the old gang. Despite the seriousness of the crime and other incidents there were funny moments involving the seniors who make up the tour group. The story also meant more to me as I've been to the parts of Germany that they visited; brought back lots of good memories! Now that I've come back to the series I'll be deciding on the next book (yep, read out of order). The Kindle editions are a bit pricey thoug ...more
Biblio Files (takingadayoff)
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first time I went on a bus tour with a group, I thought it would be a good setting for a mystery. There's a limited number of suspects and someone clever could combine the possible motives and opportunities with an ever changing backdrop of tourist sites. It would be several years before Maddy Hunter would start her Passport to Mystery series. She added a giant dollop of humor to her murder mysteries, and a touch of romance.

I have missed the last few adventures, so this was a chance to recon
Verity W
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
****Copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review****

I love me some cozy crime, but it's always a challenge to jump into the middle of a well-established series. However, I didn't feel too lost when I was reading From Bad to Wurst. I liked the plot, the characters and the humour - and if I sometimes felt like I was missing a bit of the background to Emily and Etienne's relationship and to her family, it didn't frustrate me or stop me from following the action.

I really liked the descriptions
Caitlin Copp
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: july2016
Another great one featuring Emily and her gang of technology savvy seniors. On their 10th trip they are on the way to Germany with a couple groups of oompah bands. While touring Munich, Emily accidentally trips and old war time bomb resulting in the untimely demise of one of the band mates. As usual madness and mayhem ensues and Emily, Entienne and the seniors have to pull together to stop any additional murders. Such a great series! Can't wait for the next one!
Marilyn
Ultimate Reading Challenge 2018. A book set about Halloween.

The story takes place in Bavaria during Oktoberfest. The travel agency has created a special tour to allow a group of musicians to perform at several locations during their tour. I've read several in this series before. The usual cast of Iowa regulars are here including Emily's parents, Grandmother, and Grandmother boyfriend. The only non-musician, non-regular on this trip is Zola who is clairvoyant. She seems to be amazingly perceptive
StormInAPort
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is very easy to read, including large font, and has no Magnam-like shootouts. The book is based around several Iowan characters that are peachy keen and Midwest nice.
Ok, the story is a bit cheesy and hokey, but its perfect summer reading while having a bier by the pool. The trip to Bavaria is based on her real trips and research, and seem to be accurate. Better than a few other series that rely on postcards and google searches. As a cozy mystery, its not bad. I should mention that I rea
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Ms. Hunter never uses conventional methods of murdering a person in this series. I was so caught up in the excellent dialog, action scenes, humor etc., that I suddenly realized almost 47% into the book, no murder yet...then it happened.

The colorful background set by this series, makes reading almost a compulsion for me. I'm so fond of each book in this series, and was never more so than in Bavaria! Bombs, Oompah bands, Emergency room visits, Celebrations, and death...

I can't wait to read the ne
Jennifer Dicenzo
I am so in love with this series! Every single book! I love catching up with Emily, Etienne, Nana, Bernice and all the other senior travelers. There is so much in each book! Humor, a great mystery, amazing writing and love reading about other countries. In this book we get to go to Germany and everything that goes with it; bands, beers, cuckoo clocks, etc. I cannot recommend these books enough! I am so ready for the next book!!
Dan
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laugh a minute

Another hilarious international vacation with a bunch of zany old folks. These old people really know their way around. Even dead people don't stop them. The law doesn't intimidate them. However, make them late for their meals and there is no telling what will break out!!! Highly recommended.
MD
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This was a fun read. Once in a while it may have crossed the line into cartoonishly over the top, but I never really minded. The quirky and often snarky seniors were surprisingly enjoyable company and I enjoyed learning a little about a few German tourist attractions. I hope I can find more of the books in this series!
Joann
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good mystery

It was a entertaining mystery with a group of senior citizens visiting Germany. One of them is murdered. I didn't guess the ending and found the book very amusing.
Linda Smatzny
This book is set in Bavaria in Munich and the surrounding area. Emily and her husband are leading a group of people from Iowa on the trip which will include three bands playing in the Oktoberfest. Lots of medical emergencies suffered by members of the group. The book was a quick easy read.
M. A.
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Traveling vicariously is so much fun. The glimpse of Germany made me homesick. Love the hero and heroine.
Deb
May 07, 2017 added it
Shelves: did-not-get-to
not going to read just got couple of library books, and one of this series is enough
Meghan
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Always enjoy this series, light, funny, lovely for a few hours of escapism.
Jenn
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This series is so silly. But definitely entertaining.
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My Rating: 4 1/2 Stars

From Bad to Wurst intro -
A Reader's Heaven
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it

The tour hits a sour note when tragedy strikes a guest who knew th
Nayuleska
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm eager to read the previous 9 stories in this hilarious travel holiday mystery! I can't stress how funny it is with such diverse characters. The way Emily reacts to her mother and grandmother was a constant source of my giggling. They are quite the trio, especially when amnesia comes into play! Emily's husband was sweetly overprotective, the doctor they kept encountering as a result of their mishaps was very patient with his fussing. Emily's mother's attitude on how to keep an eye on her gra ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great book in the Passport to Peril series. Once again, Emily and her intrepid senior travelers from Iowa head off to Germany during the Oktoberfest and 3 groups of oompah bands join them in the hopes of playing at some halls. No book in this series would be complete without at least one death. Is it murder or an accident? In this outing, Emily is married to Etienne and he accompanies her on this trip. When a bomb explodes at a construction site, Emily is injured and one of the tour grou ...more
Fluff Smut & Murder
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it

For 10 books now, the senior citizens of Iowa have been lead by Emily across the globe on amazing senior tours. The detail that Maddy Hunter puts into some key sights in each area are incredible and the re-occurring characters have grown into a band of regulars that the tale would be nothing without. I’m already looking forward to the next adventure!

What I loved: Nana/Marion has always been the spunky grandma I wanted to have/to be when I reach that age and she’s even better in this installment.

• Treacherous Tart (Pie in the Sky Mystery, #2)
  • Treacherous Toys (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #5)
  • The Candy Cane Cupcake Killer (Fresh-Baked Mystery, #10)
  • The Purrfect Halloween Prank (Beatrice Young Cozy Cat Mysteries, #4)
  • Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5)
  • We Wish You a Merry Murder (Susan Henshaw, #3)
  • Hark the Herald Angels Slay (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery, #3)
  • Herald of Death (Pennyfoot Hotel #19)
  • Getting Old Can Kill You (Gladdy Gold, #7)
  • Cat Among the Pumpkins
  • Silent Knife (Celebration Bay, #2)
  • Cheddar Off Dead (Undercover Dish Mystery #2)
  • Read and Gone (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #2)
  • Death by Eggnog (Bookstore Cafe Mystery, #5)
  • Cooked Goose (Savannah Reid, #4)
  • Death with All the Trimmings (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #5)
  • Arson and Old Lace (Far Wychwood, #1)

Passport to Peril (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • Top O' the Mournin' (Passport to Peril, #2)
  • Pasta Imperfect (Passport to Peril, #3)
  • Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4)
  • G'Day to Die (Passport to Peril, #5)
  • Norway to Hide (Passport to Peril, #6)
  • Dutch Me Deadly (Passport to Peril, #7)
  • Bonnie of Evidence (Passport to Peril, #8)
  • Fleur de Lies (Passport to Peril, #9)
  • Say No Moor (Passport to Peril #11)