Start by marking “A Taste of You” as Want to Read:

A Taste of You

Hell's Kitchen has nothing on the flames Giancarlo and Garrett ignite at Restaurant Ransom...

Garrett Ransom is America's hot chef du jour. He has a Michelin-starred restaurant in New York City, a hit reality TV show, and a new man in his bed every week. Yes, he secretly thinks his business partner, Giancarlo "Carlo" Rotolo, is hotter than a ghost pepper, but he would ne
Published March 10th 2015 by Fated Desires Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Taste of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Taste of You

Donna
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
The love story between Carlo and Garrett was very hot and sweet. I will definitely be checking out other books by this author.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
LOVED the food!

I'm still thinking about Nonna's tortellini and the scallops and the braised lamb shanks…

photo ScallopCevicheTunaSashimi_zpsjwamyi6r.jpg

The romance, though, feels a little underdone.

Garrett is a high-profile, celebrity chef who has to be based upon Gordan Ramsay, who I don't like. I was never able to bridge that gap. Garrett is a diva in the kitchen, goes through men like Kleenex, never connecting with any of them and all of whom are short term, essentially fuck buddies. But it's not just the fuck buddies he doesn't connect
Susan
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I think the premise of this book is one I’d typically enjoy. Best friends to lovers. Restaurant backdrop. Melding of two different types of people…a Brit and a Brooklynite. And the bare bones of the story was enjoyable for the most part.

Both the character of Carlo, an Italian with a big family, the brains & business behind the restauarants and Garrett, the transplated chef who becomes the face of the restaurant in front of the camera and a playboy behind it…are interesting and likable enough
Liv Rancourt
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer
Look, I try not to go crazy with the 5-star reviews, but this book does so many things right I really can't help myself. Garret and Giancarlo are long-time business partners. They run a hot New York restaurant together - Garret's the Chef (with a capital C) and Carlo is the businessman. They both want more from the relationship, but they've been friends for so long (and Garret's track record for relationships is so awful) that they hold onto their "no banging the staff" rule like it's the key to ...more
Skye Kilaen
This friends-to-lovers M/M romance between two chefs is so complex and messy and real, I almost didn't know what to think of it the first time I read it. On second read I loved it. Giancarlo Rotolo is painfully in love with his best friend and restaurant business partner, British expat chef Garrett Ransom. Carlo's almost ready to confess when Garrett brings his latest boy toy to their restaurant and installs him as chef so Garrett can move to another city.

What follows is kind of a disaster, to
Gigi
Mar 07, 2015 marked it as dnr-dnf-not-4-me  ·  review of another edition
This friends-to-lovers blurb scared me, with a MC who is blind to his best friend's feelings. That can get uncomfortable for me because I usually harbor some disgust for the selfish MC. After reading some reviews, this turns out to be the case so I am going to skip this one.
Lucy
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carlo and Garrett have been best friends for years and they are co-partners in an upscale, very popular restaurant, Ransom. Garrett is the chef who is also the star of a reality show and he’s busy and very particular with his kitchen, not so much with his love life. He’s had a lot of bed partners. This would be okay except it’s slowly destroying the hope of Carlo, who loves Garrett and has always believed they would be together once Garrett realized what they meant to each other.

Carlo has been
Tinnean
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it a lot, but I swear there were times I wanted to smack Garrick.
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

From the start of Irene Preston’s A Taste of You I could tell this wasn’t going to be an easy romance and I was right; two men friends for a very long time, business partners in a very successful restaurant, one in love with the other forever, and one completely oblivious to the other’s feelings. Complicated and difficult doesn’t even begin to describe what these two men go through as the move from friends to lovers and face difficult decisio
Deborah
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jd-read, amazon-done
Garrett and Carlo have been best friends since college and they are co-owners of a popular, upscale restaurant called Ransom. Garrett is the reigning chef and also does a kitchen reality show on the side while Carlo handles everything else.

Carlo has been in love with Garrett forever, but has virtually given up ever having a chance with him. He is travelling constantly, a bit of a celebrity, and has a new man every week. Then there’s the employee golden rule of not getting involved with any membe
Aerin
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m

Why does this book have such a high rating?????????? Really, why? I'll never ever understand! I couldn't do any better than 2 stars because rounding it to 3 stars would've been too much! GR needs half star ratings, it really does.

All the internal 3rd person monologue drove me nuts. So many fucking questions and so much insecurity, when all the characters needed was a good honest talk aka COMMUNICATION. And we don't even get a complete hot steamy sex scene, they all fade to black. Blah!
Cynthia
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo-read
this one surprised me! i actually flew through it! yes the seks scences were amazing! but there was an story line that was also very good. I loved both restaurants Ransom & Rotolo. Yes Gareth is an complete idiot for not realising that he loves Carlo sooner but also Carlo should have acted sooner. I really liked Joey and his blabber mouth and Nonna is the kind of grandmother i would have liked to have and the food! o my god! only the description was enough to make my mouth water.

overall a fa
Christi Snow
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review:
I have always enjoyed food themed books, but this one was an especially good one. Carlo and Garrett have been partners forever. Carlo has the business smarts. Garrett is the talent. They have a very successful restaurant in NYC and Garrett has a very successful TV show in California. For years, they've balanced their very close friendship. What neither has ever admitted though is that they are interested in something more in their relationship.

I love a friends to lovers trope, but thi
Ami
Jan 01, 2016 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ami by: Lada
DNF at 31%

My friend liked this -- but she and I are rarely seeing things eye to eye (although the case where she likes books that I end up liking is more often than the other way around), and this is one of the case. I always like friends-to-lovers trope so I gave this one a try. However, I only made it to around 1/3rd of the book before I gave up.

One) The fact that Garrett brought his lover Matt, and then told Carlo that he wanted to hire Matt (without Carlo's input) because ... get this ... M
J
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate when an author does enough research to bring the MCs' professions and setting to life, allowing readers to more easily understand the significance of particular plot twists and turns in context. The culture and hierarchy within a celebrity chef's kitchen, the social and business pressures swirling around it, and the careful negotiation of customers' changing tastes and expectations were well done.

Unfortunately, that solid groundwork lacked an accompanying sizzle to the scenes betwee
Cheryl
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first m/m romance read. It was good! I loved the characterization of both men. I could easily see them in my head and they were each so well written, it was if I knew them. Even if you thought you might not relate to a m/m - the author does such a good job with the building of the romance/relationship that really my impression was love is love. AND that was great!!

I received an ARC of this book as a professional courtesy in return for my honest review.
Gretchen
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book sizzled.
Good romance writing. Even better food writing. Captivating setting (trendy restaurant), interesting characters (temperamental chef, love-sick manager).
Probably the only gay romance novel I've ever read.
I want more from Irene Preston. Keep the books coming, girl.
Tanwen Cooper
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It was nice and sweet and a good way to pass an afternoon though I will warn you now: do not read this book while hungry.

This wasn't the story I was expecting from the blurb. I thought this was going to be a slow burn, man A waiting in the background for Man B to realise they've been in love all along, but they actually get together fairly quickly, and then it's all about them Sorting Their Shit Out(tm).

At first, I was a little unsure about the main couple. Garret appeared t
Katherine
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life plans and unexpected detours

This was a very easy to read book. I picked it up and before I knew it was half way through, so I finished it all it one sitting. It flowed nicely and managed to focus on the romance without making it to angsty or dramatic.

The relationship in this book is very much of friends to lovers where one friend has already been in love forever. The thing is, truthfully, both men are in love. The problem is their ideas of relationships and the dreams they have for the futu
Natalija
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
I'm emotionally exhausted after finishing this book. Ms. Preston packed a lot into this story, and although I'm still on the fence how I feel about it, one thing is clear - I want to read more from this author.

I considered giving it a higher rating, but I couldn't agree with the message it sends out. It felt too much like a sacrifice instead of a compromise. On the other hand, I dont think there could be a different solution with someone like Garrett. As for Carlo, it's impossible not to like t
Anu Vaarama
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A love story situated in restaurant and kitchen world. Or, maybe quite much a ”hurt story” because that’s the main emotion here.. the MC:s don’t have too simple relationship. The background for that is not much told but reader accepts that sometimes it’s just really complicated, all the relationship thing. Everything is told us really fluently, with high quality kind of writing, the plot is in balance, there’s everything just fine in this writing. Also - there are some moments, some sentences th ...more
Allison
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
3.5 stars rounded up. I really enjoyed this friends to lovers story. Carlo and Garrett are both great characters. I'd have liked a little more detail on what exactly was up with Garrett's parents because that was a huge part of his personality and there was only one small glimpse of them through Carlo's eyes. I also thought it ended a bit abruptly but it was a sweet ending. I loved all the food and the glimpses behind the scenes of running a restaurant. I liked that Carlo had to work through som ...more
Jes Jester
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story of a couple falling and staying in love through their love of food and ambitious natures. The underlying theme of childhood neglect morphing into adult issues was tastefully drawn into the story.
Aubrey
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good solid read

The story was pretty good, the story line was compelling with unique characters. The only complaint was it was a bit rushed at the end and seemed to elevate Garrett's quirks a past what they'd been in the story.
Regencyfan93
I read the preview and that was good enough for me.
Diane
This is the first book I've read by Irene Preston.

The two main characters, Garrett and Carlo, meet in college and join forces to work in restaurants before opening their own. The main difference between the two men is their family backgrounds. Garrett's parents are very English, proper and cold. Carlo comes from a close-knit Italian family. This disparity leads to difficulties in their personal relationship...or lack of one.

Ms. Preston builds a story around their professional lives that bleeds o
A satisfying read~ <3

Ahh, the ending, the ending was so sweet and emotional~!

I loved the first half of the book, seeing these two men just missing each other with their feelings. And then Garrett seducing Carlo and trying to have this non-relationship~ I really enjoyed it all. But then for a while there I wanted more emotional intimacy and they were kinda stagnating in a sexual intimacy loop. There was one scene in particular where I wanted them to just cuddle and Carlo be there for Garrett,
OJ
This is my review of A Taste of You from my M/M Romance Books Blog, OJ He Say. Click the link below to see the whole review and more.
OJ Library LOGO - Copy (2)
A Taste of You by Irene Preston

A Taste of You

After reading Tall Order and enjoying that delectable morsel, my friend Lisa and I absolutely had to do a Gay Guy/Straight Girl review of A Taste of You, another mouth-watering book by Irene Preston. Although the two books, Tall Order and A Taste of You, aren’t sequels, they’re certainly companion books in the same ‘fa
Melissa
I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have to start with the ending. WTF? That's how it ended? (view spoiler)
The MFRW Book Place: Week of July 26: A Taste of You 2 6 Jul 26, 2015 10:53AM

• The Truth About Forever
  • Campus Visit
  • Horizontal Analysis (Sinful Temptation, #1)
  • Lost Treasure
  • Queers
  • Chains
  • The Heir Apparent
  • Resistance
  • A Calling for Pleasure (Lars and Rael, #1)
  • Looking for Adventure
  • (Watch Me) Body You (Run This Town, #2)
  • Karma Bites
  • Tribute for the Viking
  • The Fifth Son
  • Indiscretion
  • My Mate Jack (Heated Beat #1)
  • The Chosen
  • Two Cowboys and a Baby
Irene Preston has to write romances, after all she is living one. As a starving college student, she met her dream man who whisked her away on a romantic honeymoon across Europe. Today they live in the beautiful hill country outside of Austin, Texas where Dream Man is still working hard to make sure she never has to take off her rose-colored glasses.
“New York has the gay marriage now,” Camilla said. “You should propose. Make things legal.” “I don’t think Garrett is interested in settling down, Aunt Camilla.” “He’s had his fun,” Nonna said. “Now it’s time to put a leash on him. That will settle him right down. I was just as wild before your Grandpa Frank proposed. Had some idea I was going to run off to Argentina and write poetry or maybe marry Tommy Dellacroce and be a mafia princess, but Frank proposed first.” 0 likes