Start by marking “The Tudor Treasury (Miscellany)” as Want to Read:
The Tudor Treasury (Miscellany)

The Tudor Treasury (Miscellany)

From the first Tudor king to the Virgin Queen, a primer on who the Tudors were and why they remain so popular to this day

This history begins when the dynasty was secured by the plotting of Margaret, the mother of Henry VII, who returned from exile to take the English throne. In time, a 17-year-old prince was crowned Henry VIII, ushering in a golden era that would gradually
Published September 11th 2014 by André Deutsch

To ask other readers questions about The Tudor Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tudor Treasury

Start your review of The Tudor Treasury (Miscellany)
Midgetbee
A really pretty looking book, and it's set out really well, with each monarch's reign divided up into little chapters. It's suitable for those new to books about the Tudors or anyone looking for a quick recap of the period. Elizabeth Norton's writing style is easily accessible and I like that she doesn't bury you under a ton of facts and figures or dumb it down too much either.

Unfortunately the amount of typos in the book makes it a three rather than a four star read. I found the first one in th
Greg Kopstein
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent introduction to the Tudor Dynasty; it’s incredibly readable, concise, and full of very interesting details. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I am very well read on this topic. It’s an excellent way for anyone to get involved in this time period. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in this very exciting period of British history. Happy reading.
Molly
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a pretty quick read, being a crah course and all, but interesting and very digestible. Every chapter is broken up in a way that flows and fills in information about pretty much every aspect of the Tudor dynasty. Really good jumping off point.
Henrik Moller
A very high level overview of the Tudor dynasty, well written and concise. (A little too hagiographic concerning Henry VII, but I tend, contra Shakespeare, to be a bit of a Ricardian.)
Scorpianmuse
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This was a nice light read.

I love how Norton started out at the beginning of the Tudors--and even a bit before the Battle at Bosworth field. The book isn't bogged down; it is broke down into small bits of history. For example, Queen Mary I loved fashion, but dressed very dowdy.

These little asides are great. It is just as it states, "A collection of fascinating facts and insights about the Tudor Dynasty."

Felicia
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Great if you're looking for an introduction to Tudor history but if not you won't learn anything new. Having said that, although the chapters are arranged chronologically, there is a lot of skipping backwards and forwards in time within the subsections which often wasn't helpful.
What stopped this from being a four star review, however, was the number of mistakes in the book due to poor editing, often confusing matters even further.
Shelby
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: female-authors
The reading level was a little below mine; this is an easily digestible version of the Tudor dynasty. It made a fun read and while I learned a bit about the early Tudors, I learned next to nothing new about Henry VII and his wives, nor about Mary nor Elizabeth. Like most of these other reviews, I would consider this an introductory book to the Tudors and life during their reign.
Hayden
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is such a prettily bound, attractive little volume. The content was broken up nicely into small chunks and was easy to read; however, there were a few editing issues that I noticed, and I think there was a little bit of bias for and against certain historical figures (although not enough to truly bother me)

Overall, it's a nice introduction to anyone new to the Tudors.
Alanna Jenkins
A heavily condensed version of the Tudor dynasty. It was a great read in terms of consolidating basic knowledge but I feel that the strap line of "fascinating facts and insights" oversells what the book offers for the more advanced Tudor enthusiast.
Star
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudors
What a nice little read . I have read so many books about the Tudors that I am sometimes surprised to learn new facts when reading current books . Actually the book was filled with simple new truths.
Danielle
Very, very basic. I didn't learn anything new and wasn't a very good summary in my opinion. My mum found it helpful regarding Tudor history but I personally found it too simplified and thus did not enjoy it. I wouldn't recommend it openly but perhaps with reservations.
Katie
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great book if you want a concise synopsis of Tudor England. I enjoyed it, although it had a bit of a textbook feel to it. Great as a resource for reports and the like. Overall, a solid read.
Karen Hunt
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book.
Michell Karnes
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-history
This was a fact filled little book. It was short, concise and easy to read. I would like to read other books by this same author. A must for a great overall picture of the Tudors.
Jessica
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A super short overview of the Tudor dynasty. It will leave you craving more detail for sure but it's a nice concise quick read.
Clare
This is a great comprehensive guide of the Tudor dynasty, complete with further reading.
Kylie
Basic general knowledge with some interesting facts thrown in.
Ashley Kell
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed getting more insight into the Tudor dynasty.
Pandie
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Love, Sex & Tragedy: How the Ancient World Shapes Our Lives
  • Wide Sargasso Sea
  • My Boy Jack
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • Jane Seymour: The Haunted Queen (Six Tudor Queens, #3)
  • The Midnight Watch (Sigma Force #10.5)
  • Half Bad (The Half Bad Trilogy, #1)
  • Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead
  • Fortitude: American Resilience in the Era of Outrage
  • Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Certain Woman of an Age
  • Break Shot: My First 21 Years
  • Red Rising: Sons of Ares
  • The Templar Archive (The Lost Treasure of the Templars #2)
  • Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology
Elizabeth Norton is a British historian specialising in the queens of England and the Tudor period. She obtained an Master of Arts in Archaeology and Anthropology from the University of Cambridge in 2003 and a masters degree in European Archaeology from the University of Oxford in 2004.

Elizabeth Norton is the author of five non-fiction works: She Wolves, The Notorious Queens of England (The Histor