Start by marking “Thelma the Unicorn” as Want to Read:
Thelma the Unicorn

Thelma the Unicorn

From the best-selling author of Pig the Pug comes this joyful book about learning to love who you are... even if you don't have sparkles.

Thelma dreams of being a glamorous unicorn. Then in a rare pink and glitter-filled moment of fate, Thelma's wish comes true.

She rises to instant international stardom, but at an unexpected cost. After a while, Thelma realizes
Published February 1st 2015 by Scholastic Australia

To ask other readers questions about Thelma the Unicorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thelma the Unicorn

Start your review of Thelma the Unicorn
Sh3lly
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This rating is from my daughter. She said she would give it five stars after she read it with me! She liked how she became a unicorn but then decided she was the best just being who she was.

I thought this was great! Thelma looked adorable as a unicorn, but she was also adorable as a "regular" horse who had a friend that treasured her company. When she was famous, she didn't have her best friend with her and it wasn't worth being famous without belonging to yourself and those you care about. Great mes
Schizanthus
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another book proudly brought to you by ...

🦄 Unicorn Month! 🦄

Thelma the horse desperately wants to be a unicorn and doesn't believe her best friend when he tells her she's perfect just the way she is. Between a carrot tied to her nose and a fortuitous near miss with a truck loaded conveniently with pink paint and glitter, all of Thelma's dreams come true. Or so she thinks. It's not much fun keeping up the facade of being someone you're not.

This is a sweet book about accept
Kazza
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grandson and nanna read.

In a world of YouTube Kardashian-like children that are saturating the world of the net and our babies minds, this story is fantastic. It helps our children understand that the best thing you can ever be is you, and how nice it is to be with the people who care about who you truly are, not what you have or can give them.

And my grandson's last word - I like Thelma because Thelma is my best fwiend.

You got it, T.
Emma
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story about self acceptance. My nephew loved this story about a pony who wanted to be a unicorn. With the aid of a trusty carrot stuck to her forehead and an accident involving a truckload of pink paint and glitter, Thelma got her wish. But was it a dream come true?...
Chance Lee
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
Gotta teach kids the dangers of fame early these days.
Neda
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well the theme is not a new one: trying to be one's own self.
However, I enjoyed the p.o.v of the illustrations.
Shallowreader VaVeros
Another delightful and gorgeous story from Aaron Blabey. Rhythms and sparkles, Thelma the horse discovers that she makes a fabulous unicorn but the fame gets a bit much. Loved it :)
Abigail
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Would-Be Unicorns / Readers Who Enjoy Quirky Picture-Books
A little pony named Thelma wishes that she were special in this humorous picture-book from Australian author/artist Aaron Blabey. Then a stray carrot, some pink paint and a dose of glitter leave her transformed, and her career as a unicorn begins. Fame and fortune have their perks, but they also have their drawbacks, and soon Thelma is longing for her home paddock, and the company of he longtime friend Otis...

With an entertaining story told in rhyming verse - "Thelma felt a little sa
SurLeFur ©
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In our classroom students can't wait to see what happens to thelma the unicorn horn. Is it time? Using a book sent home by your children’s teacher place book in students lap with the cover facing up and use your finger to point out the title of the book as you read the title. Students in our classroom were assigned to follow the text of a book from top to the bottom of the page. Place Thelma the unicorn in students’ lap with the cover facing up and look at the pictures on the cover and on the fi ...more
Barbara
The theme of learning to accept yourself and embrace your own strengths rather than trying to be someone else is a familiar one, but it will still resonate with young readers while providing tangible evidence as to why this is the case. Thelma is a pony who has always longed to be much more than she is. In particular, she thinks it would be cool to be a unicorn. When she puts a carrot on her head and happens to be nearby when a truck splashes her with paint and glitter, she seizes the moment and ...more
Rod Brown
A pretty simple story about wishes gone awry and the terrible aspects of fame. Mostly I just spent the whole book wishing I was listening to a better version of the same thing, Johnny Cash's Teenage Queen
Scott
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun story about a pony who wants to be a unicorn and, by a strange coincidence, falls into the life of a pink unicorn.
Cool and funky illustrations. Great for young children.
Ally McCulloch
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kind of funny about a unicorn that has to deal with the pressures of fame.
Sweet Pea
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The sweetest lil book.
Sam
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book just came in at work and I'd never seen it before, we got a sneak peek at a publishers event and I had a sneaky read of it today, it's a gorgeous looking children's picture book by Aaron Blabey about being yourself.

Thelma the Unicorn was once Thelma the Pony and all her life she'd dreamed of becoming a unicorn until one day after tying a carrot to her forehead, a passing pink paint and silver glitter delivery truck driver is so struck by the unicorn he's just seen that he swerved and
Andrea
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes, this is a little kid book, but Thelma is pretty dang awesome.
Mya
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story! A must read for all kids.
Dena (Batch of Books)
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the message of self-acceptance in this book. Thelma wants to be a unicorn. With the help of a strategically placed carrot, some paint, and some glitter, she manages to fool everyone into thinking she is one.

At first, it's great. She's famous and adored. But soon, Thelma realizes that fame isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I loved the way Thelma realized what was truly important and how she learned to accept herself by the end. It's a nice "the grass isn't always greener" lesso
Lydia
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rhyming tale of a pony who wishes she were better. When opportunity presents itself, she gives herself a fake horn and with a timely glitter/paint truck accident... a star is born!

Though a predictable story, it's still quite fun with great illustrations! Though no pony I know would have trouble dealing with neigh-sayers (no, I'm not sorry for the pun! ;) ).

No content issues.

Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
Cute is a word I use way too much with regards to good children's picture books but ugh IT WAS SO CUUUUUUTE. the overarching theme about how you are great / perfect the way you are, but I also liked it's commentary on fame and fans ; )
Melissa
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Great story and awesome illustrations. I'm going to read it a few more times before returning the book to the library. I might add to my permanent collection. I wish I had prints of the swerving truck and egg splattered Thelma to hang on my wall.
Stephanie
Omg what a cute story about loving yourself the way that you are!
Tracy Morton
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a pretty versatile book. Because of the rhyming and pictures it will hold the attention of the wee guys but there is enough of a story and a moral that older listeners will be engaged.
Elisabeth
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
fun fun fun and would be nice change-up for a farm or (spoiler alert) veggie storytime.
Kris
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute and funny. The illustrations are great, and it has a good message without being heavy-handed.
Julie
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hilarious story with a good message of who we are is okay and trying to be something we aren’t often brings a completely new set of problems
Athena
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10e-pb-fiction
Excellent book; great story; great illustrations; good lesson.
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Learn to love who you are even if you don't have sparkles!
AMY
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades K-3
Cute rhyming story and fun illustrations. This story is about liking yourself. Kids will like it. Recommended Gr. K-3.
|•Nanno•|

• Bruce's Big Storm
  • Bear Came Along
  • The Good Egg
  • Misunderstood Shark: Friends Don't Eat Friends
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • The Three Little Superpigs
  • The Evil Princess vs. the Brave Knight
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • The Scarecrow
  • I Am a Wolf
  • The King of Kindergarten
  • Where's the Unicorn?
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Misunderstood Shark
Aaron is an Australian author of children's books and artist who until the mid-2000s was also an actor. His award winning picture books include Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley, The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon and the best-selling Pig the Pug.

In the field of acting, he is probably best known for his lead roles in two television dramedies, 1994's The Damnation of Harvey McHugh, for whic