Start by marking “Managing Oneself” as Want to Read:
Managing Oneself

Managing Oneself

We live in an age of unprecedented opportunity: with ambition, drive, and talent, you can rise to the top of your chosen profession regardless of where you started out. But with opportunity comes responsibility. Companies today aren't managing their knowledge workers careers. Instead, you must be your own chief executive officer. That means it's up to you to carve out your ...more
Published January 7th 2008 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Managing Oneself, please sign up.
Franco It's available on Kindle and it's also on Audible for less than a dollar.

Start your review of Managing Oneself
Andrew
Sep 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Drucker managed to say absolutely nothing in 72 pages.

Below is my Suggested Reading page from my business book that will be released this spring. If you are looking for a book to read, read one of these. Do not waste your time on this book!

Suggested Reading & Listening

The Tipping Point, by Malcolm Gladwell
What the
Michelle
Apr 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Here are the takeaways for me: (1) use "feedback analysis" to discover and focus on your strengths (don't really have a good sense of what "feedback analysis" really is, as it seems too simplistic as described). (2) determine how I best perform, as a reader or as a listener, determine how I learn, and determine if I work well under stress or want highly structured, predictable environments. (3) know what my values are, and align my organization with them. (4) build relationships, and communicate ...more
Tomas Libas
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
MESSAGE: Learning how to manage and develop ourselves is one of the most important assets we have to learn in life.

COOL IDEAS:

In relationships:

1. Understand that you're an individual and so is another person. You both have different values and beliefs and see the world in a different way. To coexist, your values must be similar. That's why I love this book club and that's why the best organisations work. People's values are more or less aligned.

2. Take responsability for communication. You're re
Mario Tomic
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet book that everyone should read from time to time. I like how the Author emphasizes the fact that we should focus more on our strengths and discovering what we are really good at naturally, kinda goes against the whole new age theory that you can be whatever you wanna be. You can read this book in one evening and I definitely recommend that you do so.
Olivier Goetgeluck
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
A person can perform only from strength. One cannot build performance on weaknesses, let alone something one cannot do at all.

The only way to discover your strengths is through feedback analysis. Whenever you make a key decision or take a key action, write what you expect will happen. Nine or 12 months later, compare the actual results with your expectations.

Implications for action that follow from feedback analysis:
1. Put yourself where your strengths can produce results
2. Work on improving you
Ying Ying
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable short read. There are two ideas in this book: The fist one is that to manage oneself, one must first know oneself: reader/listener, decision maker/adviser, loner/team-player, big or small firm? The second idea is that one should prepare for a second or parallel career to continue challenging oneself once one has reached a "mid-life" crisis.
Curiosbag
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Again, a great gem from Peter Drucker! This little piece of advice is to be read again and again. Managing Oneself may seem obvious and naive and you can say I know all of these already. But if you really pay attention to this principle, you may found that you did poorly on implement this into real life.
This book is a great reminder on how to be a better person. Quite precisely and constructivelyーWhat are my strengths, How do I perform, Am I a reader or listener, How do I learn, How do others pe
Simon Eskildsen
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread
Drucker is the OG management educator. Firmly believing that managers can get better through self-education. He wants us to treat management as a skill to be honed, not as a natural gift. Something that I think it still widely believed, but that I bet was much more widely believed in Drucker's hey-day, in the mid-20th century. I've always wanted to read Drucker, and finally someone on my team directly recommended this. It's written in a fantastic style that makes it clear where many of the manag ...more
Willian Molinari
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, non-fiction
This book is not life changing but it's small, straight to the point, and has many terrific bits of advice for your career and life.
I would totally recommend you to read it since it's not expensive and quick to read/listen (around 1 hour on Audible).

Here are my notes:

* Feedback analysis: whenever you take a crucial decision or action take note of the results you're expecting. After 8 or 9 months, compare the expected results with the actual results
* People think ideas move mountains, but bulldoz
Emma
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I admit this was a little book we got at work and I read it because I knew it would be a very quick one to add in my pursuit of 100 books this year! ;-) However, I found it really fascinating - and learned a bit about myself, which is always useful! :-)
Matthias Dewilde
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it

Key Message:
Understand and act upon your strengths, values and how you perform best in order to achieve the most in life.

My Key Takeaways:
1. Use Feedback Analysis (reviewing a decision after 12 months) to discover strengths
2. Acquire/improve skills to fill gaps in your knowledge that are keeping you from reaching the full potential in your strengths.
3. Act further upon my knowledge of how i perform to improve my results (reading & taking more notes, further structuring my environment, focus on b
Boykie
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice short pithy book easily read in one sitting.

To be effective one has to be able to manage oneself before one can look at managing others.

Drucker impresses the importance of taking care of ones improvement/development. Gone are the days when ones career was planned for one. We are now at a time when it's up to individuals to plan their careers.

The ideas Drucker brings up in this book are similar to the works of Tiago Forte (building a second brain) & Timothy Kenny (knowledge management).

The
Scott Maclellan
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. So short you can happily read through it in a few hours. I have read it several times and then often refer back to it. I feel like it will be crucial in making this year the best year of my career.

If you can only read one book to help you get better at your career and life I would choose this one.
Martin Georgiev
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my summery of the book http://youtu.be/hER0VPJbZ88 ...more
Patrik Hallberg
May 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This classic from Harvard Business Review by Peter Drucker is good but not so easy to follow.

It asks a set of questions and give some basic guidelines for answering these questions.

What are my strengths? Use Feedback analysis to find out. Document key decisions and wanted outcome and compare 9-12 months later.

How do I perform? Are you a listener or a reader?

What are my values? Mirror test - what kind of person do I want to see in the mirror in the morning? Your values must be compatible with the
Daniel
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s really short, more of an essay really, so there’s no reason not to read it. It gives a couple of really good and fairly practical tips about what to find out about oneself in order to be effective and successful. Definitely enjoyed it.
Ajay
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Best book
Ketul Shah
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read again soon
Kevin Egan
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical and to the point. Easy to go back on and consult. Eternal principle for any executive of businesses or families. We all need plans and strategies to bring dreams into life.
Chad Warner
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ambitious people, entrepreneurs
Recommended to Chad by: The Freelance Web
Peter Drucker explains how to understand yourself to succeed in work and life. I liked the emphasis on improving what you’re already good at, and not wasting time in a futile attempt to turn weaknesses into strengths.

I downloaded the free Harvard Business Review article (PDF). I read this because it was mentioned on episode 41 of The Freelance Web.

What are my strengths?
“We need to know our strengths in order to know where we belong.”

Feedback analysis: “every time you make a key decision write do
Marko Savić
Nov 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everybody above 18.
Really interesting to find out that this book has only 60 small pages. I don't know what I actually expected but this was a nice surprise. In the book there are some really good advices.

First thing to remember from this book in my opinion is:
+ Successful careers are not planned. But naturally one has to be prepared for it. Even more, if you succeed you should develop a parallel career.

Maybe even more important:
+ It is everyone's duty to take responsibility for your relationships. You should ask
Ido
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: High school graduates
The best and most fundamental
Life Guide out there!

צפו בסדרה איך בוחרים מקום עבודה ולימודים
על פי הספר!

Written by the great Peter F. Drucker. This
book have answered all the questions that
I have had over the last decade.
How to find my destiny? how to increase my
usefulness in an organization, how to clarify
and rectify problems with coworkers, and
how to really manage in a world full of
options and choices.

A very short and to the point book.
55 pages every young high school senior must read.

I
Shalini
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Managing oneself" by Peter F. Drucker, is a book for every member of the workforce. This tiny book, rightly categorised as a "classic" by HBR, packs a lot of wisdom to empower anyone who reads it, regardless of their gender, position in an organisational hierarchy or freelancing, and phase in life. What starts with trying to help you understand your basic strengths and weaknesses in a workplace, evolves beautifully into how to manage yourself while interacting with other members of the organisa ...more
Ryan
Easily one of the very best business books I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Drucker has a very succinct writing style, trimming all fat and saying only what is absolutely necessary to his work. This means, unlike so much other "business literature", it has only the useful information without any superfluous filler whatsoever.

Highly recommended for business and non-business people alike. Do yourself a favor and read the 46 (2inch-margined) pages as soon as possible.
Briana
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Initial Thoughts: Drucker makes some decent points, but I'm not sure how applicable they are to me right now, especially the second essay about being an executive. The general gist is knowing your working style and knowing other people's working styles so you can get stuff done, however. I also think a lot more people need to read the short section on holding an efficient meeting.
Kapil Kalra
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Albeit being a small book of mere 55 pages, it is quite dense with information. Drucker brings light to some of common, elementary issues of managing oneself in this knowledge society, which we all seem to take granted, as rightly said "Common sense is not so common anymore". Principles although simple requires "new and unprecedented things from individual"
Alex Ikonn
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Classic.
Ishita Kunwar
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read from HBR about self-analysis, career planning, and goal setting. Highly recommended!
Matjaz
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Practical common sense stuff, without any filler. Absolutely nothing new to find if you have a few personal development books under your belt. Importance of recognizing your learning style, goals, values, etc.

Its meat and potatoes style is a bit amusing one could say. Almost unintentionally mocks other similar works that span from 200-400 pages but give you approx. the same amount of wisdom on work and life. But other than that pretty dry and uninspiring. It shows that sometimes filler can be i
Roy
"Most people think they know what they are good at. They are usually wrong"

A short essay, a lecture really, about what Drucker feels that the modern knowledge worker needs to think about in order to be effective, to make a difference, and to have a satisfying work life. In many ways he emphasizes things we all know (match your work to your strengths, your way of working, and your values), he states them clearly and with good examples. I was intrigued by his insistence that a knowledge worker has

• FUTURE - ปัญญาอนาคต
  • ปัญญาอดีต
  • One Million ปัญญาหนึ่งถึงร้อยหมื่น
  • ปัญญาจักรวาล Present
  • จีน-เมริกา: จากสงครามการค้า สู่สงครามเทคโนโลยี ถึงสงครามเย็น 2.0
  • China 5.0: สีจิ้นผิง เศรษฐกิจยุคใหม่ และแผนการใหญ่ AI
  • สิ่งสำคัญของชีวิต
  • When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead: Useful Stories from a Persuasive Man
  • ความสำเร็จ ดีใจได้วันเดียว
  • Super Productive เพิ่มประสิทธิภาพสูงสุดในตัวเอง ธุรกิจ และทีม เริ่มที่การจัดการ
  • ริเน็น สร้างธุรกิจ 100 ปี ด้วยหลักคิดแบบญี่ปุ่น
  • The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
  • Sam Walton: Made In America
  • The Disruptor
  • The Greatest Minds and Ideas of All Time
  • ユダヤ人大富豪の教え
  • Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story
  • ปัญญา ชา จีน
Peter Ferdinand Drucker was a writer, management consultant and university professor. His writing focused on management-related literature. Peter Drucker made famous the term knowledge worker and is thought to have unknowingly ushered in the knowledge economy, which effectively challenges Karl Marx's world-view of the political economy. George Orwell credits Peter Drucker as one of the only writer ...more