Start by marking “At His Command (Wars of the Roses Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
At His Command (Wars of the Roses Brides, #1)

At His Command

(Wars of the Roses Brides #1)

Could she defy her king for love? England 1453: King Henry VI sends Sir Nicholas Gray to protect the recently widowed Lady Amice Winfield from undesirable suitors. Though Nicholas intrigues her, she yearns to run Castle Rising without a man’s control.
Nicholas has no interest in marriage, but can’t deny he’s attracted to Amice. He’s surprised to finally find in Castle Risi
Published January 14th 2015 by Ruth J. Kaufman

Start your review of At His Command (Wars of the Roses Brides, #1)
Joan
I have mixed feelings about this story. The author's style is excellent and I really like the premise. The historical details felt accurate but there were a few too many clichés and to be honest, the subplot with Harry was a disaster. It felt 'tacked on' and in the end became little more than a farce. A shame, because this was a enjoyable story at its heart.
Space Cowgirl
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third Or Fourth Time💍👰Is a Charm

I loved this book📕, although it may be too angsty for some readers. Some of the characters are real people in English History, but The story is fiction.

The main character, a wealthy young widow, Amice💃💋, is a niece of Cromwell, and thus comes under The scrutiny of King Henry👑.
She didn't like her first husband, a duke, but he did leave her the castle🏰, the lands, and all his money💰, cutting out his brother, Harry👺, completely.
Harry👺 has it in his mind to force Am
Katherine Holtzleiter
Nice story line, but delivery is lacking.

I found the authors writing style distracting and simplistic. The narrative is choppy and disjointed. The characters are not as well developed as I like, and neither are the settings. For example, there are no detailed descriptions to help the reader visualize where the characters are, be it the castle, at court of even in the woods. I had to force myself to finish the book, and even stopped reading for several days a couple times to see if was just me no
Kirsten
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun War-of-Roses romance. Henry the King and the Duke of York's rivalry for the throne serves as a backdrop for romance between Amice, a widow who the monarchy wants to marry off for royal convenience, and her protector, the King's loyal friend, Nicolas. Add to that the younger brother of Amice's dead husband who wants to force her into marriage at all costs and Nicholas's former mistress, Belinda, who is a true court schemer. It makes for a fun, sometimes steamy read.
Cynthia Price
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

I am a history buff and any time period of history. I love reading about the kings of England. You never know what small tidbit of information you might pick up. I didn't like Harry. He was definitely a horrible creature. However, at the end when he speaks to the trees I felt maybe he suffered from mental illness. It is a well written and interesting book.
Carol
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read

It had romance, intrigue and history all mi Ed into one and of course a happy ending. Of course the epilogue ties things up and leave all with the reminder King Edward has recover. So another storyline can unfold
Jane Spears
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Good plot. The heroine wins in the end with love and right groom.

Very good book. Right groom right
History. Good winner.Every book needs heroine prince the villian. It was good reading. 😊
Anita Rohn
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kingdom

The powers.and prestige of court ruled over all and women were subjected to regulations that they struggled against the restrictions. The kingdom was the law but two hearts prevailed and find their place very well written with historical characters.
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute

It’s been awhile, so this book was a nice and easy new read. There are time jumps as in a few days or weeks and the story went by pretty fast.
sanner faye crook
3 stars

I could only give 3 stars just wasn't that good to me i love historical romance but not this one
Valerie
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF
JackEllena
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good reading

I really enjoyed this book. The story keeps you looking for the next page, I didn’t want to stop. I recommend this book without any reservations.
M&Y
Sep 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
cold
Robin Morgan
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-own-books
I received an e-book copy of this “At His Command” [Historical Romance Version] through a giveaway for the 4th anniversary of The Romance Reviews [TRR] and the following is my honest opinion for this book.

It’s quite a challenge for a romance author, or any author for that matter, to write their first novel, yet Ms. Kaufman has decided to write not one but two versions of the same story for her first endeavor; one as an historical romance and the second as an inspirational one in order to attract
Melanie
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Medievals are not my usual fare, as you know. I’m more of a Regency/Victorian era chick. However, this book’s blurb intrigued almost as much as the fact that the author is offering her readers two versions of it, one with and the other without sexual content. I opted to read the one with.

I must admit that after I was done reading it, I wondered why I am not reading this particular genre more often. There's something mystical in a good medieval romance. I credit the authors prose and wonderful de
Suzanne Garrison
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I really, really wanted to love this book. The War of the Roses is one of my favorite periods of British history, and a romance set during the incidents that sparked that confrontation seemed a delicious thing to read on cold, snowy February days.

Instead I was treated to paper doll characters and a rice paper plot. Kaufman has certainly done her historical research, and the book is surprisingly pro-Catholic at times. The secondary characters of Harry and Belinda however, are poorly developed and
Cassia
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, not one of the best medieval readings I had.
The story starts in the traditional way: Lady of the manor in distress pursued by the Bad Guy and saved by the Champion. What you notice in the first chapters is how the author likes repeating thoughts and musings of the main characters many times. Probably, the goal is to sound out the psychology of the characters, but this effect is heavy on the prose. You can't wait to finish a chapter and hope for the following to be better.

Around 5
Petula
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sir Nicholas Grey has been ordered to give his protection to a young widow until the King decides who she is to marry next. When he gets to her castle she is already in danger.
Lady Amice Winfield is trying to escape from an unwanted marriage. Only to find that the King is determined to see her married for the benefit of the throne.
With a weak King on the throne the realm is in turmoil. Our hero has almost blind faith in his King, and will put his own wishes aside. Our heroine is made of strong
Cayla
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Kaufman wrote an excellent beginning for this novel. But I felt that she dropped the ball somewhere along the way because I lost interest. I finished the book just for the sake of finishing it, but I never felt completely drawn into it. The fact that the King went "mad" or developed some unexplained illness is indeed quite interesting. It really would throw the country into uncertain times especially with a pregnant Queen and the entire country wondering this constant question: "Will this c ...more
Jackie
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was merrily enjoying this story (the only fly in the ointment was the Harry part, it didn't quite work). Then BANG 90% in to the book when my mind started to turn to thoughts of how this would wrap up the book took a bad turn.

It was like the last chapters were written by someone bored, it was wooden, like a school play. It made me sad that a firm 3-4 star historical romance could be spoiled. The books overall pace was good, the story fun a typical historical romance, but whyyyyy ruin it with
Eileen
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the multi-author book collection called A World of Romance: A de Wolfe Pack Authors' Collection

Oct. 2019: started out very good, but by the middle, it dragged! How many obstacle can two people face? I was getting dizzy with the back/forth, on/off, of their relationship. And what's up with the skinny, weak old man constantly pursuing Amice? And overcoming two seasoned knights at the end? I just wanted the story to end.
Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams
At His Command-Historical Romance Versioln(Wars of the Roses Brides Book 1)

The love story of Amice and Nicholas. After the dead of her husband, Amice is being force to marry his cousin, Jerry but the king has send Nicholas to protect her. They fall on love but the king has other plans for Amice. You love it.
Susan
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, good story......but......some scenes were just choppy and felt incomplete to me.

If you're looking for a smutty romance, this isn't it. There's a couple of scenes where they get together, but it's not described in detail.
Pat
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
I read 59% and gave up. While the premise of the story was good, there was not much interaction between the characters. It seems as though the author was doing the telling but not showing. The H and h just didn't have that charisma to make me feel there was a strong romantic connection.
Kim
Depending on what cover you purchase, you will either get the Christian inspirational historical romance version or the secular historical romance version without religious content. This is a medieval romance.
Wendy L Arias
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional Period Reading!

Loved every minute of Reading this book. Love the War of the Roses period in English history. On to the next book.
richard pullar
Mar 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add my new releases 19 34 Jan 18, 2015 11:32AM

• The Beauty of St. Kilda
  • His Stolen Bride (Stolen Brides, #1)
  • The Red Wolf's Prize (Medieval Warriors, #1)
  • The Bride Gift
  • To Capture a Rogue's Heart (The Honorable Rogues, #4)
  • To Tempt The Saint (The Reluctant Bride Collection, #4)
  • Highland Fire (Guardians of the Stone #1)
  • Beware the Rich Man (Rich Man | Poor Man | Beggar Man | Thief #1)
  • Captured by the Pirate Laird (Highland Force, #1)
  • A Knight's Quest (Falling For A Knight, #1)
  • Where Dreams Merge (Jasmine Cottage Book 2)
  • Lady In Disguise (The Langley Sisters, #1)
  • To Dare a Duke (Girls Who Dare, #1)
  • Don't Tie the Knot (Wedding Trouble, #1)
  • Highland Vengeance (The Band of Cousins Book 1)
  • The Princess (The Bride Quest Book 1)
  • Always Come Home (Emerson #1)
  • Reason to Wed (Distinguished Rogues, #7)
Ruth Kaufman is a Chicago author, on-camera and voiceover actor and storyteller with a J.D. and a Master’s in Radio/TV. She loves peanut butter and chocolate milkshakes, singing in a symphony chorus and going to the theatre.

Learn more at ruthkaufman.com (where you can sign up for her newsletter) and ruthtalks.com. Follow her on Twitter: @RuthKaufman or Facebook:Ruth Kaufman Author & Actress.

Wars of the Roses Brides (3 books)
  • Follow Your Heart (Wars of the Roses Brides, #2)
  • The Bride Tournament (Wars of the Roses Brides, #3)