Start by marking “Pretties (Uglies, #2)” as Want to Read:

(Uglies #2)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  229,475 ratings  ·  10,288 reviews
Gorgeous. Popular. Perfect.

Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something im
Published November 1st 2005 by Simon & Schuster Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Pretties, please sign up.
Jack Becker I see it as Westerfeld's way of showing us how Tally goes from being "pretty-minded" to more "cured" throughout the book. Trust me, I felt the same wa…moreI see it as Westerfeld's way of showing us how Tally goes from being "pretty-minded" to more "cured" throughout the book. Trust me, I felt the same way at first, until I read on and realized it was just "pretty-talk," and from then on it was used more ironically, which I thought effectively showed the change in mind-set. (less)
Maya I remember her saying stuf like, "he swore under his breath" and it's YA so there is like 3 scenes with kissing

·  229,475 ratings  ·  10,288 reviews

Start your review of Pretties (Uglies, #2)
Miranda Reads
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, ya-series
description

What happens when perfection isn't good enough?
Undergoing the Pretty Operation - aka the mandated set of operations at age 16 designed to make everyone as beautiful as possible - was all that Tally ever dreamed of....

Well, until (in typical YA fashion), she learns that her loving and kind government actually inserted lesions into the brain thus neutering the population.

These lesions made Pretties incapable of anger, meanness and anything that required difficultly. Everything is "bu
Kristina
Mar 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Kristina by: Kenzie
I'm pretty disappointed with this book. The last one was pretty good but this one... not so great. They kept using this stupid pretty language that annoyed me to no end. If i hear that anything is "Bogus, bubbly, pretty-making, fashion-missing" ect. EVER again, i might have to strangle that person.

Besides the annoying slang, the main character is now a complete twit. She is a "Pretty" sure, but she made some really stupid decisions. The worst was at the end. She picked the WRONG guy. and that's
Rachel
May 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Here's what I wrote on my book club blog about Pretties, and the whole series: Westerfeld knows that he's writing to teens, so he's trying to address a LOT of issues that teens face. One is, obviously, being superficial. Remember reading the teen magazines, hearing all of the celebrity gossip (not to mention your own school gossip), trying to dress well and be "cool?" Maybe you were better than I was and didn't get pulled into that, but most teens are. And often the pull doesn't go away once you ...more
Helen
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
If I never hear the word "bubbly" again, I'll die happy.
Jessica
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
What I found most interesting about Pretties was its thematic use of various forms of bodily mutilation/eating disorders. In a perfect society, where everyone is brain-damaged into peace and transformed into absolutely perfectly beautiful creatures, how do you rebel? By starving yourself, cutting yourself - in a lesser sense, by covering your body in tattoos. (Tattoos as mutilation is a controversial thought, and I'm not sure I know where I stand with it - I mean, are some tattoos okay, but a bo ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Pretties (Uglies, #2), Scott Westerfeld
Pretties is a 2005 science fiction novel and the second book of the Uglies Trilogy written by Scott Westerfeld. The premise of the novel relies on a future set in a future dystopian world in which everyone is turned "Pretty" by extreme cosmetic surgery upon reaching age 16. It tells the story of teenager Tally Youngblood who rebels against society's enforced conformity. ...

تاریخ نخستین خوانش:
عنوان: زیبارویان: کتاب دوم از سه گانه ی زشتها؛ نویسنده: اسکات وستر
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Just like "Uglies," "Pretties" is an entertaining read. Tally's adventures continue as she becomes pretty and fights to regain her awareness. We meet some new characters, including Tally's new love interest. The story moves fast and gets more intense in the third part of the book. Like many mentioned before, the "pretty talk" gets annoying. There is only so many times you can take the word "bubbly" repeated. But I guess the author was trying to create a "pretty language" indicative of the slow p ...more
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 Uglies - ★★★★★
#2 Pretties - ★★★★★
#3 Specials - Not read yet

Pretties is the second book in the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. I loved the first book a lot, and I had to continue the series!

In the first book, we are introduced to a world where beauty means everything. People are born as Uglies, and once they turn 16, they undergo plastic surgery and become Pretties.

Tally is still an Ugly, and all she ever wants to do is become a Pretty. Af
Bren
“What happens when perfection isn't good enough?”
― Scott Westerfeld, Pretties

I read this whole series from beginning to end. There were some things I liked about it. I liked Tally. And I liked the world building and the imagery.

However there were so many things I did not like. I was n ot all that drawn in and I thin k that is because the story has so much action and non dialogue to it that it really did not do anything for me. I was a bit bored frankly.

As mentioned by others the cutting sequenc
Christina
Beth
Nov 10, 2007 rated it liked it
Pretties is the sequel to Uglies, the second in a trilogy which I had started back two months previous. I opened the book with some hesitancy, despite the fact that I'd enjoyed the first book and had been anxious to start the second, since the details of the first book were kind of fuzzy — would I remember enough to piece together a coherent story?

Turns out I needn’t have worried. Pretties picks up where Uglies left off, yes — but the main character’s memory has been tampered with and she can’t
Ash
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Uglies
This review contains spoilers for Uglies.

After rereading Uglies and finding it just as engaging as I remembered, I was looking forward to rereading Pretties next. While I didn’t end up liking it quite as much as Uglies, it was still enjoyable and I’m still looking forward to completing the series and rereading Specials (we’re ignoring Extras).

One thing didn’t change from book one to book two of this series: the pacing. I mentioned in my review of Uglies that Scott Westerfeld had me hooked from v
Ariel
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first completed novel for the #BookTubeAThon!

My thoughts on this book are simple:
- I enjoyed it, but I don't think it comes close to matching how great Uglies was
- The plot in the last around 100 pages was exciting, but the first 2/3rds of this book dragged and felt all-together unnecessary
- The novel felt repetitive and redundant at several points
- I feel like it's suffering from middle-book-syndrome

I did enjoy it, like I said, but it just didn't capture me like the first one. I will defini
Norah Una Sumner
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Uglies fans
Recommended to Norah by: I brought this misery upon myself
If I hear word bubbly one more time,I'll kill someone.

This was boring as hell.The story is boring,actions of the characters are utterly boring and stupid,the ending is stupid as hell...I'm really disappointed.And there's suddenly a love triangle(really Scott,REALLY?)

description

The only person I liked in this book was thankfully Tally.That's the only reason I'm giving this book 2 stars.She's really great.Everyone else...not so much.Shay is a freaking idiot and so is Peris.Zane seems like a decent guy,but I
Diane
(EDITED: Updated star-status at the end)

Is this book really as bad I as I think it is? I need more friends to read this, to reassure me that it really is awful and it's not just that I'm sick (which I am. I mean, with bronchitis.) So do it! Read this! And tell me it is bad!! ("Ew, this is awful! taste it!")

Anyway, i'd say 2 stars just because i feel guilty giving only 1 star and I *did* finish it. So, 1.5 stars. Because you know something is wrong when "It Was Okay" sounds way too generous...

Whe
bec ɤ
Nov 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*Sing to the tune of Blank Space*

"Reading this book felt like torture. Don't say I didn't say I didn't warn ya."

Angst. The angst is everywhere. I tried with this book, I really did but the plot just got even more muddled after the Uglies. I could not stop myself from rolling my eyes and suppressing the urge to fling this book across the room every 5 minutes.

Let's take a moment to look at this synopsis:

Tally Youngblood is popular and Prettyville boyfriend Zane leads the Crims gang. But C
Michael
Oct 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2008
"Pretties" suffers from middle-of-a-trilogy-itis. It has to move the story forward, setting up things to come in the final installment, but it can't necessarily push things too far ahead for fear of losing audiences in the next installment.

"Pretties" picks up a few months after "Uglies" ended with Tally having undergone surgery and become pretty. We're treated to glimpses of her hedonistic lifestyle now, but a lot of the first third of this story had me wondering when the real plot would kick in
Mary
Jun 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Beauty, freedom, pressure, popularity, friendship.

One day it was sunny outside, and a girl wanted to read a book. She was already currently reading SEVEN BOOKS but, decided that as great as they were she didn't want them. She wanted some nostalgia for a better/worse time when she was in high school. And this was one of those books she had read all those years ago and it was still on her shelf. She remembered that it was pretty awesome. In fact, it was so awesome that despite reading it
Daphne
If you take the first book and add some slight differences, annoying slang, a more unlikeable Tally, a complete assassination of Shay's character, and a forced love triangle, you basically have this book.

The plot of Pretties really is very similar to the plot of Uglies. Tally starts out living in the city, not questioning anything about her life until a new friend shows her there is more to it. She ends up escaping the city and living in the wilderness for a while and then meets up with the rebe
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
*******Spoilers ahead******

In Pretties, we once again catch up with our heroine extraordinaire, Tally. Tally has now had the pretty making surgery and is drop dead gorgeous. But being pretty isn't enough for Tally. She wants to be in a special pretty group called the Crims. She and Shay are back in BFF land and all is well with the world.

Tally also meets Zane and insta-love is formed. I guess it was insta-love but, again, I didn't see any chemistry at all. All thoughts of David are out the windo
Railee
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Scott Westerfield has a tallent that I enjoy as equally as it annoys me- he can change my mind like a remote control! At the end of the first book in this series, Uglies, I thought that it was the end of the world and that the next book couldn't possibly go the way I wanted it to go! But as I read Pretties, I found that what I had so stubbornly wanted while reading the first book dissolved and I suddenly wanted something else. At the end of this book the feeling of "Oh no! It's the end of the wo ...more
Valerie
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I liked this book better than the first. Maybe it’s because I'm more open to sci-fi or maybe it’s because it was just better. *shrug* Either way I liked it better. And I'm not a big sci-fi reader but I think the world Westerfeld creates is unique and things are explained well without it feeling like an overload of information. I didn't much like how the rusties (being us) are considered stupid but then again in the 1900s people took tape worm pills to lose weight, we know better now.

Anyways, get
Violet
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Faith M ✨
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Faith by: Megan Murri
The Writing and Worldbuilding

It builds on the world Uglies established, expanding and giving insight into the behind the scenes of the society. (view spoiler)
Olivera
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't judge me, but the first time I have read Uglies, David was a character I didn't like at all, but I ended up having my mind completely changed about him. I honestly wanted more of him and Tally and I expected them to at least share a kiss (for the sake of my little fangirl soul).
On the other hand, Zane was someone I didn't enjoy reading about as much as I thought I would, and his and Tally's relationship was really boring for me in some parts.
Even though it was a good and fast read I more o
Tarmia
3.5 stars.
Definitely feels like a bit of a bridging book between the first and third. Not bad, but not as compelling as the first. The ending was good though, and really makes me want to finish the series.
will
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Congratulations Mr. Westerfeld, you managed to impress me, amaze me, and convince me to read the third book.

When I finished "Uglies" (the first book in the series), I was really impressed and looking forward to reading "Pretties". 20% into the book, I was starting to feel depressed. What I had hoped for wasn't happening. There was no strong female protagonist, there was nothing new. Well, nothing new except for a new relationship with another boy. Aaaargh! I was worried that I was going to end
Ashley Oxford
For me the Uglies series are the most under-hyped books I have ever read. This is one of my all time favorite series right up there with Harry Potter, Throne of Glass and the Hunger Games. I first read the series in high school and on this re-read I feel it really stands the test of time!
Leah Waters
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ow--my heart.

What was that ending??? I need the third book immediately!

Pretties was amazing. I can't put my finger on why I enjoyed it this much, but it was awesome. Tally is once again flawed by heroic, and Zane was a fascinating character. (I'm torn by the love triangle.) Shay was annoying, but that was minor compared to the other great characters.

The plot to this book was interesting, and while there wasn't a ton of action it was definitely a page turner. And, once again, the moral dilemmas a
YA Buddy Readers'...: Pretties (Uglies #2) by Scott Westerfeld - Restarting April 28th 2020 70 159 May 07, 2020 11:15AM
Pretties by Scott Westerfeld 1 5 Jan 03, 2020 12:14PM
Challenge Corner: Pretties, by Scott Westerfeld - starting November 18th, 2019 15 5 Nov 30, 2019 02:51PM
Team David or Zane? 50 228 Nov 12, 2019 02:49PM
Addicted to YA: Pretties 10 204 Nov 23, 2018 06:02PM
Show Dogs Full Movie Online Free 1 2 Jun 27, 2018 04:42AM

• Crossed (Matched, #2)
  • Reached (Matched, #3)
  • Matched (Matched, #1)
  • Allegiant (Divergent, #3)
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • Requiem (Delirium, #3)
  • Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
  • The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2)
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • The Host
  • Champion (Legend, #3)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Delirium (Delirium, #1)
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best known for the Uglies and Leviathan series. His next book, IMPOSTORS, returns to the world of Uglies. It comes out September 11, 2018.

Uglies (4 books)