Jump to ratings and reviews

Sex & Mayhem #3

Stripped Raw: Coffin Nails MC California

--- What’s left when you strip away the lies? ---

Sam. Loyal to the Coffin Nails MC. Lives by his own rules.
Weakness: Damsels in distress.
Jolie. In a deeply ambiguous relationship with the Coffin Nails MC. Lives from paycheck to paycheck.
Weakness: Bad boys.

As a patched member of the Coffin Nails MC, Sam is finally living the life he was destined for. A life of Harleys, guns, drugs, and eating pussy. A life of brotherhood above all.
When he goes to pick up some pot brownies for the club president’s old lady, he meets a girl so sweet, his inner wolf wants to eat her there and then. What is supposed to be a typical fling, gets damn more complicated when the Coffin Nails decide to involve the pretty blonde baker in their drugs operation.

Jolie has a knack for baking delicious cakes, but when it comes to her taste in men, she is a self-professed failure. After a disastrous relationship, she is still picking up the pieces and working three jobs to manage the financial carnage her ex left her with. The last thing she needs is a hot piece of tattooed hunk stomping into her life. Sam calls her ‘Candy’, but with a talent for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, Jolie should be called ‘Trouble’.

To be with Jolie, Sam would have to disclose a secret he kept locked away for years. A secret so raw, that it might destroy his place in the brotherhood he’s fought so hard to be a part of.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

Themes: Outlaw motorcycle club, drugs, gender identity, transsexuality, secrets, misunderstandings, criminal activity, entrepreneurship, bad luck, debt

Genre: Erotic romance, suspense

Length: ~75,000 words (Standalone novel)

WARNING: Adult content. Explicit sex, strong language, violence, and morally ambiguous protagonists.

ebook

First published March 31, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Miss Merikan

9 books108 followers
(Goodreads profile run by Kat)

Miss Merikan is the pen name for Kat and Agnes Merikan, a team of writers, who are mistaken for sisters with surprising regularity. Kat’s the mean sergeant and survival specialist of the duo, never hesitating to kick Agnes’s ass when she’s slacking off. Her memory works like an easy-access catalogue, which allows her to keep up with both book details and social media. Also works as the emergency GPS. Agnes is the Merikan nitpicker, usually found busy with formatting and research. Her attention tends to be scattered, and despite pushing thirty, she needs to apply makeup to buy alcohol. Self-proclaimed queen of the roads.

They love the weird and wonderful, stepping out of the box, and bending stereotypes both in life and books. When you pick up a Merikan book, there’s one thing you can be sure of - it will be full of surprises.

e-mail: missmerikan@gmail.com

More information about ongoing projects, works in progress and publishing at:
Miss Merikan’s author page: http://MissMerikan.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MissMerikan
Agnes Merikan’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/AgnesMerikan
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/KAMerikan/

Trivia:

- We are Polish,
- We're neither sisters nor a couple,
- Kat's an artist, and Agnes is a psychologist but neither works in her field,
- Kat's fingers are two times longer than Agnes's.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
30 (7%)
1 star
23 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 75 reviews
Profile Image for Tanu Gill.
574 reviews246 followers
August 31, 2017
I couldn't get into Jolie's or Sam's headspace!
Profile Image for Heather K (dentist in my spare time).
3,827 reviews5,503 followers
March 14, 2016
Woah, lots of thoughts and LOTS of mixed emotions about this one! There were parts that I LOVED and parts that were... yeah, not so much.

*Warning: some spoilers ahead*

It makes me upset when I see this book shelved incorrectly as "gay" or "m-m-romance," but I'm going with the assumption that people just saw this series as a gay series and didn't actually read this book. Without question, this is M/F romance, people.

I'll start with what I adored. First of all, and I'm going to tread REALLY carefully here, but I've been looking for more books with trans MCs for quite some time. I've read a few of them (Potato Surprise: A Brimstone Prequel, The Burnt Toast B&B, Static), but I had yet to read a M/F book with a trans character until now. And I'm THRILLED that Miss Merikan went there, and went there so WELL.

Sam was such a MAN, such a butch, motorcycle-riding man's man, that I adored that Miss Merikan made him trans. I loved everything about how Sam approached his sexuality, his body, his relationships. He was cocky, sexy, and could charm the pants off of any girl (including me!!!). I was really turned on by him, especially because of his confidence. Sure, he was anxious about revealing himself and discussing his status openly, but that was just because of the dangerous world that he was involved in. I also liked how well-researched and accurate Miss Merikan's portrayal of Sam was. I loved the little details about his erection rod and the cyberskin materials of his packer. It felt exactly right. I really liked the sex scenes in general, though I found them to be wayyyyy too frequent for my liking.

Segue that into the things that I didn't like so much. I really wasn't into Candy. I found her to be a really odd character. She was always accidentally flashing her boobs or vagina at people, which I found to be really odd. I also felt uncomfortable at how everyone was always sexually harassing her in a really dangerous-feeling way, and while in her POV I could see that she wasn't reacting in a way that felt authentic. She was sort of just giggled or didn't react, which I didn't understand. I really liked how she was sexually with Sam, though, even if the book was 1/2 sex scenes.

The plot was my least favorite part. It was SOOO not my thing. This was a MC club that is into very dangerous things: drug running, killing, and stealing. I have a really hard time with plots that are like that, and I found all the side characters to be just disgusting. I also had a hard time figuring out what was going on and who was who, but maybe that is because I jumped into this series in book 3.

I'm still looking for my perfect, hot, romantic trans book, but this was pretty close in many ways. I hope more M/F authors take a risk like Miss Merikan.
Profile Image for Eda**.
698 reviews444 followers
April 2, 2016

** 3,5-4 “HOLY SH*T WHAT WAS THAT?” STARS **

“Be the wrapper to my candy?”

description

That was...It was all...

I am at a loss for words.

I ignored this book before, because it was the only M/F story in the Sex & Mayhem series, and it came out at a time that I was solely reading M/M romance since I was f*cking boooooooored with all the copycat M/F luuuuurv stories dripping with instalove, BDSM sex and cliché dialogues.

What a damn mistake...

I should have known that Kat and Agnes Merikan would definitely NEVER write a REGULAR thing. I should have known that they would throw in a bomb in there. Something freaky. Something sexy, but in a guilt-inducing, making-you-shy kinda way.

OVERALL: Get ready to be surprised if you decide to give it a try, b*tchez!
Profile Image for Amanda.
1,361 reviews309 followers
June 24, 2016
This is my first m/f of this author. Initially I don't even plan on reading it, but according to review is a m/f with a twist, so I decided to try it.

* spoiler alert*

Before going in, I already knew there is a trans character. I thought it will be the trans female, which technically still feels like a m/m right? So I was shocked that it is actually a trans male, which make it into f/f? No. I don't like pussy, and two pussy? Kill me now.

Therefore, I was surprised to find myself actually enjoying this book despite knowing the biker Sam is a trans male. There is no uncertainty to me, Sam doesn't has a feminine bone in him and to me he is definitely a man, even without a functioning dick. I just imagine he lost his dick in an accident. His romance with Candy is so sweet and I find myself really curious about the oncoming sex scene. How do they even do it?

Despite this didn't have a strong subplot, unlike the one in Book 2, is still an enjoyable read for me. Miss Merikan, you are welcome to write a trans female in future.
Profile Image for Taya.
486 reviews41 followers
October 4, 2021
Attention future readers: Please read the blurb and content notes before picking up this book. What I love about these ladies is that they accurately label their work without giving too much away. This book may be the third book in the Sex & Mayhem series, but it is M/F and not an M/M this time around. I should also note that while this is Coffin Nails MC, it is not the same chapter of Coffin Nails from the previous book.

Now back to the book.

I had a lot of fun reading this book. I seriously thought it was going take me time to read this book, then BAM! I'm reading "The end" at 3:10 AM! I am hooked on this book. Seriously, I had no self-control reading this book. I deprived myself of precious sleep time to finish this book. I NEEDED to read that next chapter. It took me another two hours to calm myself down from that book high to get some sleep.

Jolie | Her name might be Jolie ( reads Joleen in my case) in the beginning, but once she meets Sam and is nicknamed Candy by him. She more than lives up to that name. You must love Candy, and she lets her va jay jay think sometimes. The girl likes to bake and has an absolute weakness for bad boys. The girl honestly has no complete self-control once she meets Sam. She did make a valiant effort to refuse him for about two seconds before he pushed her lace panties aside, and she let him slip right through. When we meet Candy (Jolie), she is up to her eyeball in debt from her previous relationship with a bad boy who disappeared and left her holding the bag. She works multiple jobs to clear her debt. The latest post includes making a special cake for Coffin Nails MC, and she meets Sam, who was delivering the product.

Sam | This man is a coochie hound. He's a fuck 'em and leaves 'em type. He has valid reasons why his "relationship" is only temporary. You didn't have to wait long to figure out Sam's past. I loved his voice when he wasn't talking about getting it in with Candy. I was more about how he copes with what he sees as a limitation. I wish I knew more of what attracted him to Candy besides her looks, and I could tell her somewhat easy acceptance of his past, as the suspense surrounding Sam's fears of people finding out about his past was ultimately anticlimactic. I didn't necessarily need or want all the drama that could develop from finding out about Sam. So kudos to you on that part. I do wish for more Sam's POV.

The Club | The Club was a bit harsh on feeling pretty loose in referring to women as bitches, sluts, or some other degrading name. But then again, I need to remind myself that this is a piece of fiction but not that far from the reality of men from neck my woods referring to girls as THOTs. I've got enough sense from other members of the club to whet my appetite. I already wanted to slap Red Jack multiple times across the face and pray that he gets a book of his own. There is also a character named Monster, and I REALLY wouldn't mind knowing more about him and what would make him tick. What's his deal? I'm not too fond of it when the author leaves me craving more. The previous statement is false. Miss Merikan, you get off on teases us, reader? Don't you?

The P-Word | will admit again that I struggle with the excessive use of the P-word. You know the word, and most of the readers of this book have one. But each time it is used, it zaps me at first. I seriously had a mental conversation with myself about many words ways I can say that word. I stop after the tenth word. It is more of a shock to the system after reading so many m/m after so many years. Then that eventually morphed into pronouncing it like Bill Compton ( from True Blood) instead of saying, "Sookie," I heard you know. So yeah ... that happened. Then that word eventually disappeared into the background.

Final Thought | Firstly, the cover is just lovely. I am sometimes a vain picker for new authors and what they use for book covers. I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but looking at this one and seeing that it was so pretty. Natasha Snow does some fantastic covers. I can't fault Miss Merikan for sticking with this designer. These covers are what attracted me to this author in the first place. Every time I see their covers for the latest or previous, it just triggers happy feelings. It is for me to read this book sooner rather than later.

Secondly, I have been in some silly little book funk lately (BOO!), and these ladies brought me back with an m/f novel at that. This book is the second m/f I read through this year, and the first one was also by them. This book flowed a lot better for me than their first m/f book. I just couldn't shut the book app down. There are still some kinks to work out. I'm only referring to the description of Candy's attraction/arousal, which became a bit repetitive with constant going to the wet panties. I get that WILL happened. I wish there were something more sensual without it turning it into sexual. Does that make sense? I also need more on the guy side as well. I think the almost lack of reference to Sam's almost brief moments of his arousal and lack of mention of his feelings lost a 1/2 star in my book.

Since it is mentioned in the forward that this is the first in the California chapter of the Coffin Nails. I have no problem upping my original 4-star rating to 4.5 stars. My faith in these authors' work in the m/m is solid. But m/f world, my opinion is still developing, but it is looking only to get stronger so far. (4.5 stars)

I need to remember this:

I stalk their Facebook page and read that they finished the first draft of Book 4 in the Sex & Mayhem series (m/m). All I have to say is that the beta readers and editors need to get it together. I'm seriously in withdrawal. I need to remind myself of this every time that it takes time to put these books out.

I have been provided a review copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Cory .
727 reviews86 followers
April 10, 2015
A uniquely interesting book. I liked it even though I found Jolie (Candy) a little annoying at times. But I guess I probably would be too if I was paying debts from a previous boyfriend so I will cut her some slack.

I really liked Sam! I love this series!

Great buddy read with Sandi even though she finished about 100 years before I did :)
Profile Image for Bucletina.
421 reviews66 followers
March 17, 2015
Nueva aventura del dúo Merikan, esta vez como parte del universo Sex & Mayhem. Lo que siempre admiro de ellas es su completa falta de barreras y límites autoimpuestos. No se mantienen nunca dentro de estructuras cómodas o esperadas, no repiten jamás la misma receta en sus libros y se animan a meterse con temas quizás algo "tabú". Stripped Raw vuelve a sorprender no sólo porque introduce una historia m/f en una saga que venía siendo exclusivamente m/m, sino porque se animan a volver a jugársela y asumir riesgos.
Esta es una reseña compleja ya que todo lo que pueda decir spoilearía el gran nudo que estructura el libro, y que vale la pena descubrir por uno mismo. Tampoco me interesa poner tags de spoiler y volver a esta reseña sólo apta para quienes leyeron el libro. Lo que vale decir aquí es que el pequeño "twist" que tiene SR de alguna manera me lo esperaba, o deseaba que así fuera, como una corazonada. Y cuando fue finalmente revelado, pensé: "Ah, ahora sí es un libro de las K.A. Merikan"
Lo que abordan, lo hacen con respeto y precisión. Y cargado de emoción. El retrato final es maravilloso y creo que todos se sentirán respetados y agradecidos.
De verdad, lean a este dúo. Lo único que se requiere es no tener prejuicios y amar la buena literatura.

ARC cedido por las autoras para esta reseña
Profile Image for Jay Davis.
1 review
September 17, 2020
This is probably one of my all time favorite books. As a trans biker I have a deep connection to Sam and what he has to go through to keep his secret but also the wanting to find love. Sam is an inspiration to me and has helped me though many times in the biker community. I would say I have read this book well over 20 times, along with the rest of the series. Although this is the one I come back to the most.
Thank you for making a different type of man in the world of bikers.
Profile Image for Jade.
1,201 reviews27 followers
Read
June 21, 2020
What is up with all of these reviews saying that it is such a "twist" that the male MC is trans? No one is saying it's a "twist" that the female MC is cis. Why is someone's gender such an issue??
Profile Image for Carol (bookish_notes).
1,284 reviews110 followers
February 8, 2022
I really enjoyed this book! I read this right after reading Red Hot (book 5), so I think it was interesting to see Red Jack before he met Loki. But now I’m realizing he never found out about Sam’s secret at any point either? Maybe it’s for the best, but more on this later. I liked Sam and Candy in this book and finding out how they met. I really love the Coffin Nails MC Detroit chapter, but California is growing on me too.

This is the first book in this series I’m reading that ISN’T m/m and I think it’s fun. It IS problematic, but no more problematic in parts than the rest of the series. I think it’s cool that the authors still managed to work in a LOT of sex scenes between Sam and Candy, and it’s just really too bad this book hasn’t been made into an audiobook as well.

Content notes include transmisia, homomisia, violence, death, blackmail, misogyny, ableism, deadnaming, mentions of parents dying, sexual harassment from a boss, and toxic masculinity.

I don’t think you need to necessarily need to read this book before reading Red Hot, but it is nice to go back to this book afterwards to find out more of Sam and Candy’s story. Candy’s real name is Jolie. Young and naive, she followed her no-good boyfriend out to California where they lived it up, and racked up a LOT of debts. When her ex leaves her high and dry to the debtors, she does what she has to in order to make money and pay back the Italians on her tail, and the banks. She winds up meeting the Coffin Nails when they order some special brownies from her for one of their club parties. It was an instant connection between her and Sam when they first meet.

Sam has been with the Coffin Nails for awhile, and are the closest thing he has to family after he cut off his own family. They never accepted him for who he was - a man. After his transition, he wanted a fresh start and he winded up with the Coffin Nails, and while he’s had to work hard to keep his past a secret from them, he wouldn’t give them up for anything in the world. They’re the brothers he never had. So, Sam is caught between letting Candy in and knowing him fully, when it could put him at risk of being outed to the Nails.

I will say this book made me VERY hungry for cakes. Or just sweets in general. It is interesting how Candy's name changed over from Jolie in this book. Like, even she started to think of herself as Candy. I didn’t really even notice the switch at first, when she started thinking of herself as Candy instead of Jolie (the book is told in third-person after all). My point is, just make sure to have some sweets on hand when you’re reading this book.

I love Sam, but he really leans in too much into the whole…toxic masculinity thing? It’s maybe overdoing it a little. It’s like how Red Jack was trying to overcompensate and make sure everyone would know how he’s totally not gay but at the same time doing TOO much and veered on the side of offensive? I adore Sam, and I know he has a lot of insecurities from his past, but at the same time I wished the authors toned it down just a little bit.

I can’t really speak on this with confidence since I am not trans, but I feel like there are some moments between Sam and Candy when they talk about Sam being trans, that might be slightly problematic? I would read some parts of this book and go, hmm this doesn’t seem right. Like, it’s great that the authors give us a book with a transgender MC and they don’t shy away from sex scenes and makes this book feel just like the rest of the series, but, you know. There’s just a little iffy factor where this is concerned with how everything is handled. And there is a lot of times throughout the book where Sam is deadnamed because people are trying to locate a person by that name.

Considering Red Jack and his whole attitude and...dare I say, brashness? And his whole manly problematic self in his own book, and definitely more so here since he hasn't met Loki, it makes sense that Sam wouldn't tell Red Jack about himself. I wouldn't even necessarily say there were friends in this book until the very end, where even Sam gets shocked that Red Jack would consider them best friends. So, I get where Sam is coming from is what I'm saying.

One other issue I had is that there obviously needed to be a scapegoat to explain away some Italians that wind up being killed in this book, and the scapegoats chosen are a Cambodian gang? We never knew them, and this series is VERY white, so that was something I took issue with. Why Cambodians instead of another white motorcycle club or something? That's all.

One thing I had to go back to verify and I just think it was a weird coincidence, is that I thought Grim (from book 8) might have hooked up at one point with the president of this California chapter? Grim is a nomad who travels between the Coffin Nails chapters doing odd jobs for them that nobody else might want to do. Everyone knows he's gay but nobody gives him grief, because he's very good at what he does (killing people). But it was mentioned in Grim’s book that he had tried to hook up with someone with missing fingers and it’s mentioned here that Borg, the president of the California chapter, has 2 prosthetic fingers. But I just verified in His Favorite Color Is Blood that it was a different boy, and in Detroit who had 2 missing fingers Grim tried to get with. Only slightly disappointed it wasn’t really Borg. It's just a coincidence. Borg, though, is cool in my book after how he reacts to the news that Sam is trans.

One thing I wondered about was Candy's ex, who left her holding on to so much debt. There's no mention of what really happened to him after or news of hunting him down. A little weird, since the other books mostly tie up the characters's pasts and it just seemed odd he was just left to his own devices, wherever he is.

I almost thought this book was published after Red Hot because we do see a lot more of the Coffin Nails in this book and they seemed more fleshed out as characters than what I remember in Red Jack’s book. But, no, this was published first. So, that’s only a little strange. Monster still holds my heart.

Reading Red Hot and this book back-to-back has only renewed my request to get a book for Monster. He prospected in this book and he’s creepy, but IS A MYSTERY I MUST KNOW MORE ABOUT. Give me Monster’s book. I NEED IT. I think him and Dana from the Guns n’ Boys series could be great friends, if I’m being honest. I don’t know how they would ever meet, but they could be good friends.

I think this story between Candy and Sam is a pretty sweet one, all things considered. There’s not as much violence and death in this book. Candy loves dressing up in retro dresses and just wants to bake to her heart’s content. And Sam is just head-over-heels in love with her, and doesn’t know how to handle his feelings. She’s it for him. The little date he tries to set up with her and the hot tub was so sweet (even if it ends in proper mayhem like the series name suggests).

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and found reading it by text really easy. I wish there was a dual narration type audiobook for this since I have the rest of the m/m ones in audiobook that have already been released, so it would’ve been great to have listened to this book in audio too.
Profile Image for Steph.
1,277 reviews11 followers
November 10, 2015
I really liked Sam and Jolie, but I don't really see what this book had to do with this series. I think this should have been a standalone, with no affiliation with the Coffin Nails series. But that's just my opinion.

The transgender aspect of the book totally threw me off guard. I will admit that I know very little about transgender operations etc, but I think this part of the book was handled well.

Jolie was a fantastic heroine and I admired Sam so much.

I enjoyed the book overall and am looking forward to reading more in the series.
Hopefully the next book will have a bit more of a connection to other storylines.
Profile Image for  ♥ Rebecca ♥.
1,338 reviews372 followers
August 25, 2015
I didn't enjoy this one that much. Although I loved Sam and Candy as a couple,
Profile Image for Kim BookJunkie ~ Editor & Proofreader.
1,872 reviews56 followers
January 31, 2018

I have read and loved several of their m/m books but this was my first time reading a book by, “Miss Merikan”. When reading a series, it’s common for books to start to resemble one another yet somehow, these two were able to avoid doing that once again. Not only is the storyline in STRIPPED RAW diverse but the male main character in this book is so unique that it was a surprising twist I hadn’t seen coming! Overall, it’s a good book. I really loved it initially yet at about 70% in, I started to get a little bored.
Profile Image for multitaskingmomma.
1,359 reviews41 followers
April 2, 2015
Original Blog Post: Happy Happy Release Day!!! Review Request: Stripped Raw - Coffin Nails MC California (Sex & Mayhem #3) by Miss Merikan

Review by: multitaskinmomma
My Rating: 5 of 5 Stars

Who would have thunk it? I am reading MF but then again, this book is not really what it seems.

This is the story of Sam, patched member of the Coffin Nails MC, who has gone through the gamut of a tough life. The secret he keeps, it is always the thing that spurs him on. It makes him work harder, be tougher, and be just a trusted brother. When he meets Jolie, something just clicked, although, he did think it was merely getting attracted to a well-built woman who not only looks good, but bakes the best sweets.

Jolie has had a tough time, from getting expelled from school, to running off with a ditsy boyfriend who just up and disappears, leaving her with a tramp stamp and a whole lot of debt to the wrong kind of people. The Italians. When she gets the job order for a hash-brownie, she grabs at it. She needs the money and keeping three jobs at once is not paying enough. Then she meets Sam and she just drowns.

Jolie and Sam. Sam and Candy (Jolie). This is a couple I never thought to like. I loved Sam from the first badass speech that left his mouth but Candy? It took me some time. Maybe because I keep going back to thinking her a man (I am a bonafide MM fan and reader so please, bear with me) then when she opens her mouth and gets into trouble, I remember she is female and I just want to strangle her. How Sam puts up with her, I throw my hands in the air and just give up. That made me love Sam even more.

As a character, I cannot stand Jolie but then again, it is because she is a woman and I am a woman and all that jazz. But Sam? Oh my. I really fell in love with this character. He is just so darned off the bat bad and amoral and all.

I have been a fan of the Merikans for some time now and they just dropped me this book to look at. I hesitated, it is MF after all. But then, they dropped another bomb: there is a secret and they hinted it to me and I got hooked. Needless to say, I love this story and can't wait for what comes next.
Profile Image for Moonlite_Reader.
174 reviews12 followers
April 25, 2015
Jolie is in some serious fckin debt. She's been trying to stay a float by any means necessary and that's how she ends up meeting Sam and the coffin nails. she bakes sweets and they placed a order for some hash brownies and Jolie (Candy As they change her name) gets reeled in.

Sam is so damn manly Jolie can't resist him, if only it was that simple. Sam, fck, what is there to say? I DID NOT see that coming. It was out of no where!!! But merikan told, described, and explained everything perfectly. I seen that shit on tv but never read about it, and I'm so glad I did. Even if after I did some of my own research. I wanted pictures to go with the words and descriptions. I was so glad that when Jolie discovered the truth, she took it like a champ and didn't bitch out causing separation and unnecessary angst. I applaud that all the way.
She was a down ass bitch.

At the end, the book was really well written. I look forward to the next one and can't wait to discover another surprised topic if any.

***ARC provided by author for an honest review***
Profile Image for Sivutha.
634 reviews75 followers
March 12, 2015
5 stars

Warning:
Book 3 in the Sex & Mayhem series, is M/F and not an M/M.

Totally was hook into this book. The blurb had me curious cause the first two books were M/M. Who needs sleep when you want to know happens in the next few chapters.

Jolie AKA Candy
When we meet Candy (Nickname given by Sam), she was in debt from her previous relationship with a bad boy who disappeared and left her. She have to work multiple jobs to clear her debt. Her newest job includes making special cake for Coffin Nails MC and that is when she stumble upon Sam. She likes to bake and heads over heel for bad boys (I want one myself ;D). She likes to indulge herself that is hotness know as Sam. She tried to play hard to get and lasted about two seconds before he got her all hot and wild.

Sam
Sam is guy whose fuck 'em and leave 'em type, he calls that relationships due to his past. He fears of people finding out about his past.
Profile Image for Meghan.
52 reviews
November 6, 2020
FtM Hot Biker with cute 50a pin up

I love Samson and Candy. They are so very cute together. I love damsels in distress book with a strong yet slightly ditzy character. I could not put this book down and literally ran late at my job bc I didn't want to put it down. The sex scenes where so hot. 10/10 will read again.
Profile Image for iam.
950 reviews126 followers
December 8, 2018
I enjoyed reading this for the most part!

Content warnings include:

Jolie (or Candy, as she's called most of the book) was naive in a way that should have made me groan but actually rather charmed me. She's by no means innocent or silly, but she tends not to think things through and act out of passion rather than calculating the consequences. Sam was kind of a macho and he did make me roll my eyes a few times, but he too was likable.

I wish their relationship would have developed slower. There was a ton of insta-lust that remained the only justification for these two to get as close as fast as they did, and I wish they had communicated/talked through some stuff more, which remains an ongoing issue in this series.

I was a bit wary of how Sam being trans would be handled. The blurb makes it out as this huge secret that could destroy his life and I wasn't a fan of that, since it suggests that it would be a revelation meant to shock the reader. It ended up not being that, luckily, and while Sam is not out to the club and keeps it a secret, that was not a main motivation or key thing around the plot.

Stripped Raw is more mellow than most books in the Sex & Mayhem series, which I appreciated. While there was some conflict around Sam being trans, it was completely seperate from his relationship with Jolie and never escalated the same way some of the other books escalate their conflict.
The main plot (or rather subplot, as the main focus of the book is Sam and Jolie's relationship) about Jolie's debt and how she gets in deeper and deeper into the club's drug operations was similarly not as bad/brutal/extreme as I'm used from this series, which made for a pleasant change.
Make no mistake, there is still tons of tension, danger and excitement, just not as intense/life-threatening as in other books by these authors.

I also really enjoyed the members of the Californian Coffin Nails MC chapter. Borg, the president, seems like a genuinely great guy, and while Red Jack is kind of a jerk I'm looking forward to reading his book. Monster was an equally fascinating character that I'm hoping to see more of in the future.
Profile Image for Ted.
142 reviews8 followers
October 5, 2020
Wow! That was different, but good.
Profile Image for Sandra.
4,063 reviews13 followers
August 5, 2015
I enjoyed this read, even though I was disappointed in Jolie's TSTL status. I read book 5, Red Hot - Coffin Nails MC California, prior to this, so had already met Sam and Jolie as a couple. I liked them a lot and thought Jolie was a strong and independent woman, which is why I was so surprised to meet this bumbling bimbo. She makes terrible decisions, all the time.

But I really liked Sam, so that made up for it. You could see her through his eyes and appreciate her contradictions of sweet and naughty, her feminine appeal.

Based on reading other reviews I knew there was going to be a twist, and had guessed what it was, but still enjoyed watching the way things played out. It was revealed to the reader fairly early on, so you're not missing out if you know what it is ahead of time. It's this that really makes this story special. Watching Sam struggle with his identity and living with that fear . Some parts of it didn't seem to hold water , but others were addressed

This was a good addition to the series, although books 2 and 5 are still my favorites. I liked the M/F addition and the fact that we get a few books in a row from the same MC. If M/F isn't your thing you could certainly skip this one without missing out on much, although I would say you should give it a chance. Yes, there is much talk of lady parts. Sam is a Nail after all, so there is liberal use of the word 'pussy'. But they're a good couple, and it sets you up well for Red Jack's book, which is steaming!

Received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, reviewed for Hearts On Fire
Profile Image for Shellie Johnson.
353 reviews2 followers
June 18, 2015
I was provided an ARC for my honest review...

This is the first book I've read by Miss Merikan and I can say that I did enjoy it. It is different from what I normally read about a MC book so I was surprised.

** Spoiler Alerts***
The story starts off a little on the edge that I had to catch up on but once I got there, it took me in. I didn't like how it just started about the ex being a jerk with not a lot of background but you get more as you read on. She was a stupid young girl that fell in love with the wrong boy. Got in lots of trouble because of him and needed help but didn't know who to ask. The MC club finds her (don't know how?) and gets her to "help" them for some money and her "trouble" shows up with 1 there and he didn't hear anything? Not cool. It's funny how she can't say no to the "Hero" and acts like a ho. Some self control would have been nice on her part. She was kind of a weak heroine. Would have been better if she had some backbone instead of just falling over for him.
I was really surprised about the "sex" part. He had a small cock and nothing made it bigger?? Well later on, you find out why so I had thought he got it blown off but nope. "Samantha" could use the inheritance to fix that but it didn't say what was done. They both wished it was real but didn't finish any of that. That was one part I didn't like not knowing if they did or didn't have the surgery. Ugh!! I would have liked to know what happened with that.
It was great that the Coffin Nails prez already knew about it and didn't care. Sam was their brother no matter what. That was good. Felt the love there. Glad St. Nick got his comeuppance. I'm sure there are going to be more on this series so I will watch for it.

Thanks for a good read.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for LovelyGirl.
28 reviews108 followers
October 12, 2016
This book was not a profound one and the story is far from ''the best I've ever read''.

The reason it was 4 stars read for me is because Miss Merikan ladies done their research, and I admire that. Also, I have not come across many romances with transgender leads, so kudos to writers for including majorly ignored portion of society in written love stories. I am young white attractive female, so I don't struggle a lot in my life, but people of different race, skin color, trans people, gay people(men and women alike) whose sexual orientation became public knowledge, have to endure a lot, and might loose everything. Thankfully, religion don't have a strong hold over my country yet, so people who differ from majority won't get stoned to death, set on fire or flogged publicly. Which is a small consolation, considering how they still can get beaten to death, humiliated and bullied, thrown out of job, disowned by family...Hopefully I live to see a day when we all embrace our differences.
Profile Image for Claude.
250 reviews22 followers
July 29, 2016
OMG I don't know where to start...This book? Awful. These two was just unconscious...God! Too much sex scenes. It went too fast between them (I was so choked by the first scene...did they knew before? No). No seduction. The girl was just SO EASY. The guy? TOO confident. It was kind of boring. Together they pissed me off all the time.
Jolie: I really hate her. She was just stupid, unbearable, naive, unthinking....Unable to survivre with her way of life.
Sam: He was...SO MAN. In the beginning it was cute, funny...But in the middle it was just too much. Being a REAL man does not mean acting before thinking. And when you have a big secret like that you pay more attention please.
This book is not realistic. I recommend it for those who have SUPER patience. 2 stars I really like Merikan girls ;)

107 reviews17 followers
March 24, 2015
OH MY GOD! So I loved the first too books of this series and I knew I'd love this one, and I was right.

The authors always manage to throw in a twist and this was no different. I really liked the take on this story. It's definitely not your typical MC book.

The main characters are really appealing. I really loved Sam right away. He's the guy every girl wants, a bad boy with a bit of knight in shining armor thrown in. Candy is super sweet, even if she is a bit gullible.

They have really good chemistry and the sex scenes were super steamy. I really enjoyed it.

The only thing I didn't love was, I felt that Candy was a bit weak. I wanted her to be a bit more independent, but not everyone can be that way. lol

Really great book to add to an already great series!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 75 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.