Start by marking “Leaving George” as Want to Read:
Leaving George

Leaving George

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  723 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
She made a carefully planned getaway that she thought left no trace...

After twenty years of hell, Pauline decides to leave her abusive husband. Her escape has been meticulously planned so that he will not be able to find her.

In her temporary hideaway on the Cornish coast, Pauline begins to relax and enjoy life again exploring the beach and taking in the simple rural charm.
Kindle Edition, 1, 200 pages
Published January 2015 by The Book Folks

To ask other readers questions about Leaving George, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving George

Linda Strong
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
2.5 Stars

It's taken her 20 years, but Pauline is finally escaping her abusive husband. She waits until he is out of town for several days. She's researched how to fly under the radar so that he will not be able to find her.

There's only one hitch to her plan. She comes across a motorcyclist who was involved in an accident and he's in the ditch on the side of the road. She stays with him, uses his phone to call emergency services.

Finally getting to her hideaway many miles away, she can finally re
Katie
Jun 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
In a word: Awful.

In a few more words: Trite, with surprisingly little plot and a terrible ending. This is not a "psychological thriller" by any means. The only suspense was waiting to see whether Pauline would manage to do anything right. The premise sounded interesting, but the story just didn't bear it out.

There was no plot development; it was a long, rambling list of events. I finished this story for two reasons: one, that I hate to leave books unfinished, even bad ones, and two, that I was w
Angie
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes books have too much action and everything is all bad ....
I dislike those books .

Leaving George has a lot happening and it is all bad ....I loved this book ;-)

Something to be said for psych thrillers ;-)
Jessica
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Tapped out after 60%. No psychological thrills here

This was marketed as a psychological thriller. Sixty percent in, I shrugged my shoulders and deleted the book from my beloved Kindle. I couldn't stand the annoying bed and breakfast owners, constantly showing up to the cottage unannounced. I hated the police officers, too stupid to listen to the main character's concerns. I wasn't riveted by this one, more like annoyed.
Nenette
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
1.5 Stars

Another one of those types that goes up a staircase of thrills and suspense, only to stop at the very top to find out that there is nothing there, after all. I really get disappointed with stories, be it in books or movies, that are shaped like this.

The story is all about Pauline Green, an abused wife who ran away while her husband was away on some business trip. She had a plan, but her plans went awry because she tried to help a stranger. Without her knowing, she was suddenly entangled
P.S. Winn
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Pauline decides to leave her abusive husband George, she has things planned for a new life, but as always the unexpected happens and Pauline's carefully laid plans go awry. This was a good read, I wouldn't say it was a fast past thriller, but there was enough suspense to keep the reader turning the pages. A little bit more excitement and I would have probably made this a five star review. The story kind of reminds me of a made for TV Movie and I think I could easily see this story as a movi ...more
Denise
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-goal
'Leaving George' pulled me in from the beginning and didn't let go. The storyline was well written and full of suspense and definitely a gripping thriller. The way the story played out was intense. I loved how Pauline grew into a strong and independent woman. She completely surprised me. Pete was a an added bonus to the story. A great add to your tbr list. Recommended read.
Michael Lacey
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good, tight and punchy psychological thriller with a nice dash of romance. Probably aimed at the ladies but I'm a bloke and I enjoyed it; in fact it kept me up very late! You know how it goes when you keep saying 'just one more chapter..' and then the next thing you know you are finishing the book and the sun is coming up...
nikki barnwell
Mar 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not what I thought

I was expecting sleeping with the enemy not leaving the enemy to find an enemy. I was a little disappointed with this story after the good reviews. This should have been titled Bad luck Pauline
Tobias Haglund
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great psychological thriller full of suspense. Diane M. Dickson's narrative is personal and intimate. I feel for Pauline. I want the best for her. The MC is what makes this thriller all the more interesting.
Linda Stock
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Disappointing

I was so excited when I read the description of this book. It started out so good.... but then the plot became bizarre. Stupidity bizarre. So unnecessary to take what could have been a really meaningful story and made it extreme. Oh well
Terri Lytle
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mehhhhh....no. It wasn't the book I thought it was going to be. Instead of waiting for a psycho husband to show up and wreak havoc, we get handed second rate diamond thieves who also dabble in human trafficking. Wtf?! This book was pretty laughable with ridiculous, over the top shenanigans. 😒
Merewyn
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
While I liked the first half, the second half was far too quick-moving to really buy into the resulting emotions. I think if the author had taken more time and slowed it down, it would have been more believable. Also some things didn't make sense and were never adequately explained.
Val Moss
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

What a great story!! It will certainly make you question strangers you come across day to day. I'm American and one of my best friends lives in a Scotland, so to hear the accent come through the way it did was so fun!
Patricia Hullett
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The book started out okay but I didn't like the ending at all.
Nancy Vega
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a story!

Suspense and mystery after mystery, choices made-deception in the English countryside, a book you never want to put down until the end.
Louise Child
Jul 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Boring

Not good enough .Boring .Abused wife comes into money leaves abuser .Saves a criminal ,falls in love .Nothing gripping or thrilling about it .
Suzanne Page
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a great book. It kept me on the edge of my seat. From start to finish in one day, as I just couldn't put it down.
Misfits farm
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully entertaining read. Pauline has had a tough time being married to George so decides to leave him whilst he is “away at conference”. As she does so she finds herself at the scene of an accident and dutifully plays the Good Samaritan. After several hours delay she then gets back on her way. However a few days later, just as she is settling into life away from “home” she feels that she is being watched. Things take a turn for the worst and she is in the middle of adventure she never th ...more
Betty
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Pauline has been married for twenty years to an abusive husband. She has given up her friends because how many times can you say you walked into a door or fell and still have people believe you? Her only solace is long, wandering hikes that empty her mind and help her to cope with her situation. But then her grandfather dies and she inherits his estate. She has to wait until she's forty to get the money but this allows her plenty of time to plan her escape. Finally the day she has dreamed of and ...more
Allison Gallifrey Gill
It started well.
A wonderful first half of the book. Peaceful and gripping with nice suspenseful moments that kept me turning the pages quickly. Shame about the second half. I know this is fiction, but blimey!! What on earth.... No spoilers but our plucky heroine is transported into dodgy dealings, fights for her life on more than one occasion with quite frankly the worlds most pathetic bad guys as adversaries and falls for the most predictable person imaginable.
I don't quite know what happened
Anchit
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
The story progresses too slowly for me. I couldn't bear to read more after nothing was happening for so long. Pauline is a paranoid and someone needs to explain to her that her husband isn't a super human. She keeps guessing too much about his capabilities which wouldn't be possible for a normal person to do. It makes you feel like what you feel living with someone who's constantly abusing you and making you feel helpless and as if he's an over Lord.

Anyway, there's a lot of description about her
Aman
Mar 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
When compared to the raving reviews I read for this book, I found it to be a major disappointment. It was far from being an original-styled suspense thriller. Instead, it was a series of clichés of mishaps for the protagonist right up until the end, with several chapters in between devoted to her emotions, her sense of strength and independence, and her falling in love in the unlikeliest of scenarios.
I might attribute it to the fact that this has been written for a different audience though, and
R. Sue Oleson
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Started out very slow and repetitive (she needed to leave George, she needed to get away, she needed to do this, etc., etc.). I was bored and almost quit reading. Story didn't pick up until around chapter 20 or so (I'm a die-hard reader, and even when it's bad, I very seldom WON'T finish a book once I start). Once it caught my attention, I wanted to read more; find out what happened. Ending was a let down.
Cecilia
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I saw this book on Kindle's recommended mysteries so I bought it. It tells the story of an English woman who concocts a plan to leave her abusive husband and start a new life without so much as a good bye.

The story moves along pretty smoothly with a few unpredictable twists and turns. There is just enough suspense to keep you reading and the chapters are short as is the book. A fun quick read but the ending is a let down.
Angelika Rust
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was hooked from the second line on ("She would miss the cat"), and after that, lapped up every unexpected twist and turn. Couple of proofreading mistakes, but not so many that they would have started to bother me. Great characters, very British dialogue, very evocative.
I feel guilty for having picked this one up on a free day. I'll gladly pay for this author's work in the future.
akpowergirl
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Three stars

I gave this review three stars because although the book had action and suspense I never really felt as though the author gave much explanation as to what this woman's life was truly in danger for. The character was definitely unlucky in situations of circumstances she found herself to be in
linda s keeney
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay read.

Well. not sure what to say about this book. IT was okay but a tad twisted. Took a lot of turns. Sad that a woman that was abused for years ends up beaten more and severely. Liked the ending though.
Rebecca
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked the idea but the writing style felt rushed and I didn't feel Pauline really felt appropriate emotions towards the situations she found herself in. This was a quick read that was enjoyable and forgettable.
Connie Moss
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Leaving George begins with an abused wife leaving everything behind. She even has a plan for what she is running to. It begins to fall apart as she is overcome by an act of caring before getting out of the area.

What follows is an unexpected tale of intrigue. You just never know!
  • The Numbers Game
  • Strange Bodies
  • Kiss the Girls
  • Book Club
  • Either Side of Midnight (The Midnight Saga Book 1)
  • Lame Excuses
  • Touch and Go  (A Mercy Watts Short Story)
  • So We Said Goodbye: A Contemporary Fiction Novel
  • Uncharted (Countermeasure: Bytes of Life #1; Countermeasure 0.5)
  • Run, River Currents
  • The Willow Tree
  • Shame
  • Finding the Gray
  • Edge Play X
  • Sohlberg and the Missing Schoolboy: an Inspector Sohlberg mystery (Sohlberg, #1)
  • Prairie (Journey of Dreams, #1)
  • Family Cursemas (The Megamillionaire Murders)
  • The Best American Series: 14 Short Stories & Essays (The Best American Series ®)
English. Love writing - love reading. Feel very lucky and amazed to have books published.
More about Diane M. Dickson

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99