Start by marking “Confessions of a Turtle Wife” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Turtle Wife

Confessions of a Turtle Wife

A turtle wife is a woman (or a man—sometimes referred to as a “turtle husband”) married to someone obsessed with nature’s shelled wonders. When Anita Salzberg marries her husband, Allen, she discovers that she has also married his not-so-little turtle hobby. Over the course of the book and numerous improbable escapades—sheltering a ginormous snapping turtle in the bathtub, ...more
Published May 26th 2012 by Anita Salzberg (first published October 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Turtle Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Turtle Wife

Start your review of Confessions of a Turtle Wife
Janet
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the topic was certainly interesting, I couldn't help thinking that it would be more appropriate as a nonfiction book. The entire narrative is exposition without any rising action or climax. Additionally, the veil of fiction makes it difficult to really trust the content about turtles, turtle life, habits and care, and the existence of the multiple societies for the love and care of turtles. The characters themselves also seemed underdeveloped whereas there could have been more interesting ...more
Monica Vielma
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Chapter 12 is titled: A Few More Annoying Things About Living with Turtles but it seems the whole book should have that title instead.
There are a lot of interesting facts about turtles and the care of turtles. I'm not a turtle lover or owner and have never thought about having turtles but this book was still an interesting read to me.
The tone tries to be lighthearted but I had difficulty finding it lighthearted when Allen is almost described as being indifferent to his wife's feeling
Robyn Seaton
I enjoyed the book. It was an interesting story, and she wrote it well. It was quite amusing, yet also serious at times. I can't say it was one of the greatest books I have ever read, but it was a very easy read and held my interest.
Roberta
Pretty entertaining, though the habit of jumping back and forth in time was confusing.
Jim Lochner
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Let me being by saying that I am friends with the author. If that makes this a biased review, so be it. Adjust your reading expectations accordingly.

Confessions of a Turtle Wife is really a menage a trois of sorts. Love really does conquer all when you learn to date, live with and marry someone who eventually turns your home into a turtle sanctuary. The love affair with nature conservation and the budding affection for all shapes and sizes of these prehistoric remnants round out the other limbs
Heather  Erickson
Surprisingly Wonderful

This was offered as a free kindle and it looked like something my daughter's may enjoy so I got it. After hearing them talk about what a good book it was, I decided to peruse it. What a joy it was to read. The author has a wonderful way of teaching through the humorous stories she tells about her experiences as a turtle wife (someone married to a man obsessed with turtles). Not only difference did I learn some amazing things about the beautiful creatures, but as the book pr
Amy
I don't know how I'm just now reading this. I bought it on my Kindle the other day, but had never heard of it before, and I consider myself a bit of a turtle connoisseur!
It's a love story. A book about the love between a husband and wife, husband and turtles, and turtle & turtle. Cute & entertaining, a fast read that will have you laughing out loud & quoting passages to anyone who will stand still to listen (including your dog). I LOVED it. And it's educational, to boot. Follow a Tu
Natalia Vargas
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice little book with fun stories about "turtle people". Easy to read, fast and fun. And in between you get to learn some basics on how to take care of a turtle/tortoise by reading what the couple did right or wrong. You have to read it, knowing that this book doesn't intend to be a manual on turtle care or be super specific about any species. It's just a woman, telling the tales about her husband's pets and how she became a turtle person after all.
Corina
Turtle Soup

This was both interesting and boring at different times. I think that for me it got a little too involved in places. And, while it stayed out in a humorous tone, that was quickly lost. The last twenty per cent was very slow. If you are a turtle liver, by all means get this, but if you're not, you might want to pass.
Donna Nova
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an honest and humorous look at the life of turtle rescuers.

Kudos to Anita for respecting her husband's passion for wildlife rescue. I read this book straight through with only one bathroom break. This should be required reading for anyone wanting to buy a turtle for a pet. Loved it!
Staci Troilo
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Staci by: Anita Salzberg
This is a good read full of information about turtles in an easy to read format. Even though I didn't go into the book a turtle fan, I finished the book with an avid appreciation of them and a greater understanding of their place and needs on our planet. Salzberg imparts so much wisdom in so short a space, and she does in in an entertaining fashion.
Sherry
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed through this whole book. Sometimes outloud. This lady really got herself into a fix when she chose her boyfriend/then husband. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to read something really good with some interesting facts and information thrown in for good measure. I ended up buying this book in paperback for a good friend who is just as crazy about turtles.
W
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who is married to someone with a hobby they are truly passionate about will relate to this book. The author is a good sport and eventually becomes "one of them" in the turtle world. Fun read. I wish it included photos. I believe some of those habitats were awesome.
Linda
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an amusing bit about a woman whose husband had an obsession with turtles and she grew to have one of her own. I learned a lot about turtles in general and also some very interesting tidbits about those who keep them, and the whole turtle trade.
Jessica
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and informative. I learned so much about turtles!
Suzi Obrien
I got this book because I thought the premise was interesting. It took a while to get into but I am glad I stuck with it. Enjoyable and entertaining!
Kari
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014reads
very informative from how to care for turtles to how turtles have been exploited across the world. quick read
Connie
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More about turtles than I would ordinarily want to know, but it was a good read on a recent flight to Seattle-- not too demanding and entertaining enough.
Angela Turner
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. Well written
Kayo
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute book! Learned quite a bit about turtles. Fun and interesting!
Jim
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Quite a cute read.
Jeanne
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun read. Many laugh-out-loud moments.
Hilary
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Turtle person

As a lifelong turtle lover and former pet turtle owner, I really related to this book and the idea of being a turtle person. This was an enjoyable read.
Angie Boyter
Nov 09, 2014 marked it as to-read
This is free on Kindle until November 11 and sounded intriguing.I bought it, but ho knows when I will be abel to read it?
Mk
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book but that may be due to my slight obsession with the topic subjects.

The book was fun to read while learning about turtles.
Dee-Ann
This book is interesting and is almost a manual on how to keep turtles (and a husband who is a tutle-enthusiast). I like turtles and learnt a lot about this intriguing beasts.
Maren
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked her writing style, but the topic was just not as engaging to me as it was to her.
Ashish
rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Mrs. Bridge
  • Sticks and Standing Stones Can Break My Bones: A Funny Romantic Paranormal Mystery (Alfie Wimple Adventure Trilogy Book 1)
  • The Last Dance
  • What Survives of Us (Colorado Chapters #1)
  • Where the Light Enters (Colorado Chapters #2)
  • The Journey is Our Home (Colorado Chapters #3)
  • Daddy 3.0: A Comedy of Errors
  • What the Dead Know
  • Wolf Pack (Joe Pickett, #19)
  • Drowning With Others
  • The Sleeper and the Spindle
  • The Acid Watcher Diet: A 28-Day Reflux Prevention and Healing Program
  • Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again
  • Charged: Overzealous Prosecutors, the Quest for Mercy, and the Fight to Transform Criminal Justice in America
  • The Things We Cannot Say
  • The Swing of Things
1 follower
As a child growing up in Brooklyn, I never imagined falling in love with a turtle lover from the Bronx who would fill our Manhattan apartment with hard-shelled creatures. This goes to show that life and love can be inexplicably weird, and, if you're lucky, also rather wonderful.

Nor could I anticipate that my husband, Allen, and I would work together (without filing for divorce) on articles for Ra