Start by marking “Chronicle of a Death Foretold” as Want to Read:
Chronicle of a Death Foretold

Chronicle of a Death Foretold

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  104,944 ratings  ·  5,239 reviews
'ON THE DAY THEY WERE GOING TO KILL HIM, SANTIAGO NASAR GOT UP AT FIVE-THIRTY IN THE MORNING TO WAIT FOR THE BOAT THE BISHOP WAS COMING ON'

When newlywed Angela Vicario and Bayardo San Román are left to their wedding night, Bayardo discovers that his new wife is no virgin. Disgusted, he returns Angela to her family home that very night, where her humiliated mother beats her
Published February 29th 2008 by Penguin Books (first published April 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Chronicle of a Death Foretold, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards Considering the misogynism of the author I think he was ready to doubt that a rape victim was telling the truth. Abuse victims don't come forward…moreConsidering the misogynism of the author I think he was ready to doubt that a rape victim was telling the truth. Abuse victims don't come forward because they know that nobody will believe them. Garcia Marques immediatly assumed that she was trying to cover a lover. Because in rape-culture a woman is always to blame

Remember that Santiago was ready to rape the Divina Flore the little black UNDERAGE girl that lived in his house like his father did before with Divina's mother. Remember that he got drunk a lot and that he liked to use women. Wouldn't a man like that rape Angela during a party in their teens and then forget about it because he was so drunk?

Just as Garcia Marques is predisposed to doubt women I'm predisposed to believe rape victims. (less)
Paola Cepeda García no. if you are learning spanish, perhaps you should read a book that is simpler to understand. I read the book, and as a native spanish peaker i can…moreno. if you are learning spanish, perhaps you should read a book that is simpler to understand. I read the book, and as a native spanish peaker i can say that i was a bit confused. The story is like one of the movies where nothing makes sense until the end, and you have to follow the narrative closely so as not to get lost. It is an excellent book, just not for that purpose.(less)

·  104,944 ratings  ·  5,239 reviews

Ian
Jul 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I own about 70 copies of illegally-photocopied versions of this book so I can use it with my students in class. And unlike most books I teach, I read this one every year.

Why? 'Cuz it's an unbelievable text.

I firmly believe that Santiago Nasar is one of literature's greatest Christ-figures. Many of Garcia's books have Christ-figures, of course, but Santiago is Jesus with a twist. When the book starts, Santiago is portrayed as a bad man who is wasteful and immoral and violent. When he is fingered
Jim Fonseca
Truth in the title: the title tells us exactly the plot of the novel.

A man is stabbed to death. He’s a fairly wealthy young man (he’s 21) who runs a cattle ranch inherited from his father. There’s an interesting ethnic twist: His father’s family speaks Arabic at home and his Spanish mother on occasion calls him “white man.” Although the locals call his family ‘Turks,’ because they are Catholic, it’s likely they were Lebanese and arrived in Colombia (where the story is set) from the great mixing
Amalia Gavea
‘’There had never been a death more foretold.’’

Santiago is murdered in the market of a Colombian town. The perpetrators are two brothers. His crime? The supposed defilement of their sister, whose marriage to a young man was broken because she wasn’t a virgin. Márquez does something extraordinary here. He creates one of his finest works, a crime mystery where the question isn’t who or what but why. Why did everything happen in such a way? Why do people have to resort to such actions? Why are we
Brina
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nobel Laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez who is best known for his One Hundred Years of Solitude penned a novella A Chronicle of Death Foretold based on real life events that he witnessed. In this novella, Marquez tells through the eyes of an unnamed narrator the events that lead to the murder of Santiago Nasar. It is in the characterizations of the personas this short book that we get a taste of Marquez' brilliance which won him many honors during his writing career.

Santiago Nasar is the only chi
Ahmad Sharabiani
Crónica de una muerte anunciada = Chronicle of a Death Foretold, Gabriel García Márquez
Chronicle of a Death Foretold is a novella by Gabriel García Márquez, published in 1981. It tells, in the form of a pseudo-journalistic reconstruction, the story of the murder of Santiago Nasar by the two Vicario brothers.
Characters: Santiago Nasar, Ángela Vicario, Bayardo San Román, Pablo and Pedro Vicario
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز اول ماه می سال 1994 میلادی
عنوان: گزارش یک مرگ، نویسنده: گابریل گارسیا مارکز؛ مترج
Jibran
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There had never been a death so foretold.

Márquez's oeuvre may be roughly divided into two streams of writing: the magician of One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera and the journalist-adventurer of this novel and News of a Kidnapping. The ominous world of magic realism closes shop when Marquez switches his gears to journalistic storytelling. But may be not quite; because right from the opening scene an eerie premonition trails at the heels of Santiago Nasar and, do what h
Steven Godin
Stabbing a man to death is not as easy as it sounds, after all, it took 23 swipes at poor old Julius Caesar, but only one of them was actually deemed fatal. It takes a hell of an effort.
Not like that seen in those pathetic slasher movies, where a big breasted peroxide blonde is chased around a mansion by a nutcase bearing a huge blade that only dishes out flesh wounds.

Chronicling the murder of one Santiago Nasar in a small unnamed South American village, Márquez dazzles in a fictional world tha
Mutasim Billah
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: colombia
"On the day they were going to kill him, Santiago Nasar got up at five-thirty in the morning to wait for the boat the bishop was coming on."

A grand wedding. A gruesome murder. And a multitude of lives changed forever. Chronicle of a Death Foretold is a novella which recounts a fictionalized account inspired by an actual incident of honor-killing in Colombia back in 1951, now immortalized in this 1981 novella.

The story is about the series of events leading up to a murder, and its aftermath. It is
Jokoloyo
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I started reading this book, Goodreads have already recorded 73,000 ratings and 3,500 reviews.

When I was reading this book, I found out some friends had read this book at his/her school age. How lucky you are, my friends. This is a good novel.

There are thousands correct ways to write a story. This novel used one of the rarely used ways. It was using non-linear timeline story, move back-and-forth between multi POV from a same morning when the incident occurred. It was not the first story
Kevin Ansbro
I read this short masterpiece ages ago, but it only recently resurfaced in my mind, like a forgotten dream. It's a tense drama of murder foretold, written in the magical realism style for which Columbian novelist, Marquez, was lionised.
I really need to read it again to reacquaint myself with its succulent excellence.
(Ditto, Don Quixote, and so many other exquisitely-written novels that are now consigned to the backroom of my cluttered mind).
Luís C.
In a small Caribbean village, the inhabitants finally fall asleep after the great feast given at the wedding of Bayardo San Roman and Angela Vicario.
But at two o'clock in the morning, the bridegroom suddenly brings Angela back to her parents' house. He repudiates her because she lied about her virginity at the time of the marriage.
When the twins Pedro and Pablo Vicario, Angela's brothers, go home, they decide to avenge the family honor by killing Santiago Nasar, the one who, according to their s
Χαρά Ζ.
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
_Chronicle of a Death Foretold_

oh God, I love Marquez
Vanessa J.

I can't believe I had not written a review for this book. Since I'm constantly recommending it to people, I should have written a review at some point... but I didn't. Now is the time when I try to do it justice with this, as it is one of my fave books.

Chronicle of a Death Foretold... that's exactly what this book is about: A death foretold. You may be asking yourselves, wtf is that? Well, that was pretty much my reaction in 2013 when I read this for the first time.

Santiago Nasar is found dead
Traveller
Brilliantly told....

I've just re-read this novel; and I've just remembered why it stuck with me after reading it the first time.

I have since learned that the novella is based on a true story, in which the author himself had been involved. This caused the book to carry even more of a disturbing impact for me.

The novel (novella? it's rather short) starts off in detective/journalistic investigative fashion; at first it seems casual and desultory; the narrator seems to be merely reporting. However,
Ben Loory
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
usually when i read garcia marquez i love it at first but then it just keeps circling and circling and eventually my brain shuts down and i pass out, but this time it just kept building and building and by the time i hit the end i thought i was going to explode. just one of the tensest and most mysterious books i've ever read in my life. also it was nice because i always read about marquez talking about how much he loves kafka but then i never see it in his books; this time around it was all rig ...more
Julie
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's possible that Gabriel Garcia Marquez's grocery list is better written than most of what stands on your bookshelves.

What Marquez does feels less like writing and more like the conveyance of a mood or a dream that imprints itself on paper as you read, then disappears behind you.

It's hard to find fault with him as a writer.

This is a particularly fascinating "skinny read," a little book with a lot of bang for your buck.

It is highly literary and also incredibly thought-provoking. I highly recom
Fran
Death will catch us all, grab our bones and run, but few as unaware as those whose deaths have been foretold.

Everybody knew this will be his last day on earth. Everybody knew why they will kill him. Everybody but him. This is one of my favorite short novels from Garcia Marquez. From the title to the last word we know what will happen and why but the surprise is hidden in the was it right?

If you want a book that will leave a endurable mark in your subconscious ramblings (you know, those little t
Kalliope
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is such a well-crafted book in its structure and language that I may have to re-read it now that I just finished it.
Cheryl
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers seeking a short thrill
I should start by confessing how Márquez's words have often flirted with me and I've fallen for his elongated, somewhat eccentric, prose style. In The Autumn of the Patriarch he took me on a satisfying and bewildering journey that secretly made me question his sanity. So I've come to expect that part-dizzying, part-dazzling style that makes this short work feel different, almost as if it was written by another Márquez, maybe a more controlled Márquez, but certainly not the same one who wrote One ...more
Petre
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The parody of life.
TK421
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary
What would you do if everyone around you knew you were going to be killed but were doing nothing to stop this? For me, more than paranoia and terror would rake my mind. This is the premise of CHRONICLE OF A DEATH FORETOLD. The whole village knows that Santiago Naser is going to die by the hands of his wife's brothers. Their reason for killing him is simple: they believe he is to blame for their sister being returned after her marriage to a wealthy foreigner because she is not a virgin. As the st ...more
Hayley
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars

This has to be one of my top 5 favourite required reads for the Hell Grounds that is school.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this read!

The combination of the thrilling murderous plot and how religion weaved into it really fascinated me. Even though the book is only 122 pages and the story takes place in a matter of hours, it both felt like the story lasted over a longer period of time as well as actually only feeling like it occurred for an hour.

The writing style and narrator made
Ritwik
Jun 27, 2015 added it
There had never been a death more foretold

Based on a true incident Gabo was involved in, simply put - the story is about how a bride is returned after her wedding night after her husband realizes that she is not a virgin. On being questioned the bride names the person responsible and her brothers set out to find and eventually murder the person in question. The back-cover reads the summary as mentioned above. How far can a writer take it from here?

It is astonishing to see the various angles th
Charity
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to read a fabulous story
Based on an actual incident, this novel dramatizes the story of a young bride whose husband returns her after their wedding night because she's not a virgin. Subsequently, her brothers set out to murder the man whom she names as the "perpetrator." A former resident who has returned to reconstruct these events narrates the story, which is as much about the townspeople as about the main characters.

I find it to be a true testament to García Márquez's storytelling abilities that even though I knew t
Helga
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Initially i gave this book 4 stars, but last night it got me thinking and a book that makes me think and prevents me to sleep deserves a 5 star in my book.
This is the story of Santiago Nasar's murder. This literally is a story of an Appointment with Death. Despite almost everybody in the village knowing that Santiago is going to be killed, whether through ignorance, superstition, lies or malice (lets face it Santiago isn't a very nice guy) his death could not be prevented.
Jaanaki
Writing and story telling are two different talents and although many authors write,very few are master storytellers.A master story teller will fill the stage with his presence and will keep his audience hooked from beginning to the end ,so much so that, they will not have the slightest inclination to leave their seats until they reach the end of the tale and get to know what happens to the various characters in the story.Gabo proves he is the "Master " ,with this small but brilliantly written n ...more
Sophie
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The plot unfolds in one day and is given through testimonies of people who have some kind of connection with the death of Santiago.However one-dimensional the characters may be, they don't manage to evolve at all in the time frame which this novella gives them, and although the plot is not particularly imaginative, I loved every bit of this book. The atmosphere was absolutely to my taste whilst Marquez's writing style moved me, once again.
Eliza Rapsodia
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone y'all
Recommended to Eliza by: No one, I'm Colombian
4.5

REVIEW IN ENGLISH

I an reading Gabo's work little by little. Since he died in 2014, we will not have more books. So I picked one of his non-fiction works. This book is a tale of an event that happened in Colombia and the author wrote a story with an unique narrative style and its own structure. It's the tale of Santiago Nasar and why everyone in town knew he was going to die.

This book is a chronicle, with data and concrete and true facts (inspired by a real event happened in 1951) and tells
Richard
In a tiny, coastal Latin American town, Angela Vicario and Bayardo San Román get married and have the biggest party the town had seen! But soon after, Bayardo returns his new wife to her shocked family after he realizes that her virginity has been spoiled. In an effort to restore her honor, her twin brothers murder her alleged deflowerer in cold blood (obviously not a spoiler), but not before announcing their intentions for all to hear.
"'All right, girl,' he told her, trembling with rage, 'te
João Barradas
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"He was healthier than the rest of us, but when you listened with the stethoscope you could hear the tears bubbling inside his heart."

• Lord of the Flies
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez Summary  Study Guide
  • Las armas secretas
  • La ciudad y los perros
  • Detective Story
  • Réquiem por un campesino español
  • The President
  • Los años con Laura Díaz
  • El camino
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera: A Reader's Guide
  • Pedro Páramo
Gabriel José de la Concordia García Márquez was a Colombian novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist. García Márquez, familiarly known as "Gabo" in his native country, was considered one of the most significant authors of the 20th century. In 1982, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He studied at the University of Bogotá and later worked as a reporter for the Colombian n
“He always considered death an unavoidable professional hazard.” 99 likes