Start by marking “The Other Me” as Want to Read:
The Other Me

The Other Me

Eliza Bennett has the life she's always dreamed of.
She's who she wants to be, and she's with the man she loves.

But Eliza is living a lie. Her real name is Klaudia Meyer.
And Klaudia is on the run. She's escaping her old life, and a terrible secret buried at the heart of her family.

This is the story of Eliza and Klaudia - one girl, two lives and a lie they cannot hide from.

P
Published March 2015 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about The Other Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Me

Liz Barnsley
I'm a fan of this author's previous works so was delighted to receive a copy of The Other Me - and it was more of treat than expected, a little different to what you might think looking at the tagline and a very emotional and moving read about coming to terms with family history.

When we meet Klaudia, she is a teenager who is ashamed of her parents. Nothing new there you might say, but her family has a history and background that is somewhat different. Later she reinvents herself as Eliza in an a
Susan
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having finished this novel, I feel a little unsure about what I feel about it. The story follows Klaudia Mayer, from her time as a bullied schoolgirl in London to an aspiring dancer and the various strands of the book follow both Klaudia’s point of view, at various times in her life, and that of her Uncle Ernst.

When we first meet Klaudia, she is an uncertain young girl. Home schooled by her religious parents, who are much older than those of her contemporaries, Klaudia suffers the embarrassment
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Klaudia Meyer is a shy homeschooled girl living in 1980s London. It's her first year of high school (and real school!), so she's a bit nervous, especially since her father works at the school as the caretaker. Klaudia's childhood has been anything but normal. Her parents are strict, religious, and she hasn't really interacted with other young adults. She loves to dance and has always dreamed of taking dance lessons, but her parents say they can't afford it. While at high school, she realizes tha ...more
sue

I really like this author and I especially loved The Twins. Her previous book.

I was eager to get my hands on this one.

Its a very different read to what I was expecting, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it, on the contrary I did.

Klaudia Meyer was bullied at school, we learn of the hardships she went through and her emotional state.

But for reasons within this book we learn that Klaudia Meyer had to reinvent herself and now she is known as Eliza.

Bringing us up to date, she has the life she alw
Siobhan
I had a serious debate with myself as to whether I should give this book three or four stars. As you can see, in the end, I decided upon three stars. I realised that, despite those moments in which I believed the book could make it to a full four stars, there wasn’t quite enough to be rounded up.

I’ll start with a small amusing detail for those reading this review, so you can understand my mind set throughout part of this book. The love interest of our main character goes by the name of Cosmo. Pr
Lily S.
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I'm getting extremely annoyed with writing this review. I wasn't able to write anything for 2 days then yesterday I accidentally deleted my draft with no possible way to recover the data.

So this book is about Klaudia Meyer who in order to escape the past creates a new identity for herself when she moves from her parents, and from that moment she exists as Elisa for her friend and new boyfriend. But as it commonly happens with elaborate lies she has to face reality and make the decision whether
Marco Esteves
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-english
4.5*

a really underhyped book who sould get more atention
Sg
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this was one of those "will read it just so I can get rid of it" books sitting on my tbr shelf.

Wasn't expecting much from it based on the reviews I'd read and was wondering how I even ended up buying it. But wow, very pleasantly surprised - its a real page turner, flicking between the story of two brothers in Germany and Russia during the war and a young woman in 1990s Britain. Very good read indeed.
Lauren (My Expanding Bookshelf)
The Other Me is an absolutely wonderful story. It is the perfect mix of Thriller and Romance, and Contemporary and Historical. It's just practically perfect in every way (and my first 5/5 review of the year)!

The Other Me is told from the first person perspectives of Eliza/Klaudia (from this point on I will refer to her as Eliza) and her Uncle Ernst. It is also set during 3 different time periods: the 1930s to 1940s, 1986 and 1995 to 1997. This is brilliant and the reader slowly learns more and m
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-arc, ww2
The Other Me is a thought-provoking and rather insightful book that is being described as psychological and suspenseful. Due to these descriptions, I expected somewhat of a psychological thriller, but that is not what this is. It definitely digs into the psychology of the characters and idea of whether we are where we came from. However, there is nothing in these pages that would make me call it a “thriller.” In ways, The Other Me has historical fiction aspects with suspense and a psychologica ...more
Cleopatra  Pullen
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This wasn’t the book I expected but oh my, it was so much better! I expected a tale, similar to other ones I’ve read this year where the protagonist has changed her identity because she is either hiding from someone or something, and to an extent that is exactly what this story is about, but it tells a tale much deeper than that, truly exploring how we identify ourselves and illustrates how events in the past have very real consequences in the present.

Klaudia is the only daughter of Otto and Gwy
Chrissi
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t really sure what to expect when I picked up my copy of The Other Me. I had previously read and enjoyed The Twins by the same author, so I knew it was going to be good. I have to admit, the first thing that drew me to this book was the beautiful cover. If you know me at all, you’ll know that I’m passionate about dance (although I can’t dance myself!) I love to watch dancing, I love to read about dancing and I adore photos of beautiful dance work. So the cover really was its selling point ...more
Joanne Robertson
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I have read the other two books by Saskia Sarginson and in my opinion each book just gets better and better! This is certainly my favourite of the 3 and I loved it! It's beautifully written and an emotional journey into whether or not our identities are related to where we come from.
Klaudia is living with her parents, an only child born to a religious mother and a German father. She is teased at school and her father called a Nazi. Away from home, studying, she becomes Eliza, desperate to escape
Lynn Brown
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To put this into perspective, one woman two lives I think is a little strong. Klaudia was a child and then she called herself Eliza when she went to University - not quite the dramatic event of two lives that the book cover proclaims.

So I was wrong footed when I began to read, as I had assumed (!) that this was going to an adult who had reinvented herself.

Ultimately I suppose the book is about identity and how others perceive you through the bloodline you carry.

However, to me this book was far m
Michael
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really hate to give this book a low score. However,the only thing that was captivating was the prologue. Besides that,I forgot about the characters after they turned the page. The book had absolutely no characterization,consistency or anything!

The short chapters made it even more forgettable,it was embarrassing to read through all the loopholes.

Interesting cover,intriguing synopsis,but terrible execution!
Jo
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Whilst the story itself was ok, I feel that the blurb is a little misleading. I was expecting a story about a girl on the run, a thriller, but this was more like a family saga.
Suze Lavender
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eliza is a great dancer, she has friends, she has a boyfriend and she's happy. However, Eliza doesn't really exist. Eliza's real name is Klaudia and she's ashamed of her background. She's been bullied because of where she comes from. Her family has secrets and there is a lot Klaudia doesn't know. What will happen when she can no longer live as Eliza and needs to go back home, to the place she doesn't want to return to?

Ernst and Otto are brothers, but they aren't particularly close. Ernst is in
Ukgardenfiend
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A NetGalley Review
Have you ever so hated your family and background that you have created a whole new persona? Right down to name, home, family? And maintained it for 2 whole years without a slip?
Well Klaudia Meyer did in this book.
She became Eliza Benet and didn't reveal who she really was until circumstances forced her into it. Her best friend didn't know her. Her lover didn't know her. And she avoided her family in all that time.
This book had sat in my to read pile for several months and for
Kitty Bachman
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this was “another” Holocaust story I loved this book! This writer wrote so descriptively I felt that I was a part of the story.
Thebooktrail
The trauma of war and the search for identity and one girl living two lives in Germany and England…

Booktrail of the locations in the novel Booktrail of The Other Me

Klaudia lives in Croydon, South London with her parents and has a sad lonely life. Bullied at school when the kids find out that not only is her father the caretaker but a German as well ( or Nazi according to them) her life becomes unbearable.

There are three of us at home. Well four if you count Jesus

In the 1990s, Klaudia has now aba
Samantha
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have been unsure if the star rating to give this book and I believe that's because this is not my usual read. I would have given this overall 3.5* but I have rounded this up for Goodreads and Amazon. This is my first book by Sarginson, I do have another of her books on my shelf, which is a thriller. I think I went into this one thinking it was going to be in the same genre.

The cover and the blurb give little away to this book, to be honest I think I went into this pretty blind with what it wa
Alba
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on: http://www.albainbookland.com/2015/08...

When I first picked up The Other Me, I had no idea what to the expect. The blurb doesn't give much away and only reading it I thought it would be kind of a psychological thriller. But soon, I realised that this story was so much more than I first thought and not so "thrillery". The first thing that surprised me was that Eliza is really young, still a university student when we meet her (although she has dropped her degree and is follo
Smitha
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Eliza Bennett is living the life she's always dreamt about, doing something she loves with a man she loves. However she's hiding a terrible secret that could bring her dream life down like a pack of cards.

For one, she isn't who everyone thinks she is. She is actually Klaudia Meyer. She's adopted Eliza Bennett as her new name. Klaudia, she no longer was, in her own mind. And Eliza she would have stayed, until life forced her to face the truth.

Klaudia has had a difficult childhood, being the only
Jess
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Little, Brown Book Group UK and NetGalley*

Klaudia Meyer has reinvented herself as Eliza Bennett in an attempt to leave her past behind.
She doesn't want to be the daughter of a Nazi or reminded of her school days. She wants to dance.
Her life is a web of lies - she lies to people she meets, her friends and her parents.
Will Eliza be able to keep her two lives separate?

The Other Me was a thought-provoking read.
A large theme
Michelle Ryles
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-read
I found this really interesting and it's no wonder that Klaudia is so mixed up with all of the secrets hidden within her family!

I enjoyed the story of Otto and Ernst Meyer - two German brothers who didn't know their parents and immediately sign up for the Hitler Youth in order to feel accepted and part of a family. As their stories unfold we see how deeply the actions of ancestors can affect their descendants. Klaudia feels more guilt for their actions than her Dad and Uncle do - mainly due to
Barbara Beswick
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the prologue alone I was hooked! What a story. There's a pink sticker on the front cover of this book that says "As good as The Husband's Secret" or your money back. Rest assured, it is, and I won't be! I can see why that particular book would be compared to this as the style of writing is similar to that of the superb Liane Moriarty, - as indeed, each chapter delivers an insight into the lives of the brilliant characters. Very Mortiarty/Picoult'esque. I loved it. Not once did I th ...more
Susan
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging book. The voice of Ernst in Germany as a boy, later on the Eastern Front, and as a dying man was authentic and compelling. But the modern story told by Klaudia was drawn out, sometimes repetitious, and less believable.
Natalie Ward
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Very different to what I thought it would be...not sure the blurb on the back is very accurate. The story felt a bit random and disjointed at times, and I felt quite sorry for a number of the characters, but I did enjoy it.
Helena Wildsmith
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and thought the parts set in Nazi Germany were absolutely fascinating. I liked seeing the development of Klaudia/Eliza's character but sometimes felt that she seemed a little too wishy washy and needed to take action.
Linden
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told by alternating narrators, a young woman and a former Nazi. The premise was ok, but I was really frustrated by the main character's irritating wishy-washiness.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 19, 2015 09:45AM

• Up Close
  • After She's Gone (DI Matthew Adams, #1)
  • House of Secrets
  • Up in the Pines
  • Indigo Instinct (Indigo, #2)
  • Run Rabbit Run (Sophie Green Mystery, #5)
  • Saving Rain (Rain Trilogy, #1)
  • Someone Else's Wedding
  • Anatomy of a Darkened Heart (Dark Victoriana Collection #1)
  • Peaceful Genocide
  • Pulling Me Under (Pulling Me Under, #1)
  • Where Petals Fall
  • Number Seventy-Five
  • The Happy Ever Afterlife of Rosie Potter (RIP)
  • By Light Alone
  • The Life You Left
  • The Depot: When Life and Death Cross Tracks
  • The Offering
Saskia grew up in Suffolk and now lives in London. She is the mother of four children, including identical twin girls. She has a B.A hons in English Literature from Cambridge and an M.A in Creative Writing from Royal Holloway. She's worked as a Health & Beauty Editor,freelance journalist, ghost-writer and script reader. As well as writing and reading, she loves tango dancing and dog walking,
“We are like ghosts whispering around the edges of each other's lives. Or perhaps it's more like a cruel farce with one of us entering the stage, just as the other leaves.” 2 likes