Start by marking “Shadows Over Main Street” as Want to Read:
Shadows Over Main Street

Shadows Over Main Street

What happens when idyllic small-towns, and the simple folk who inhabit them, collide with inexplicable evil borne of a vast and uncaring cosmos? Imagine a series of stories set in a golden era of American life, where worldly troubles are regarded from a distance, if at all.

Hear the buzz of playing cards clipped in children’s spokes echo down quiet lanes. Smell the faint ar
Published January 30th 2015 by Hazardous Press (first published January 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows Over Main Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows Over Main Street

Start your review of Shadows Over Main Street
Tarl
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, lovecraftian
It wasn't until I read the editor's blurb at the end of the anthology that I really, truly, understood what he was going for with this collection. Once I read it however, I realized that Murano had not only succeeded, but had also captured a truly unique idea for his anthology. Small towns, especially in the Americas, holds a certain view in their cultural vision. Combine that with mythos tales, and you get something that contains a very nice level of creeping horror.

There were a couple that sto
Efka
Before starting this book, I had some doubts, but the name of Josh Malerman, one of a dozen or so authors who contributed to this collection and whose "Bird box" I had recently read and quite enjoyed, worked like a magnet, so I decided to give it a shot. I noticed, that this is a "lovecraftian" book, but since I haven't read Lovecraft, I thought that it would be worth a try. Turns out, I'm not really in "lovecraftian" stuff. I mean, can't say something negative about it. Even more, I actually st ...more
Fiona
In keeping with my effort to read more horror this October, I finally made my way around to this anthology - and it's actually a pretty great collection.

As with any collection of short stories, there are some standouts:
This Stagnant Breath of Change, by Brian Hodge - considering it came out in 2015, it's an awfully relevant piece about an old generation sacrificing the future of their children to maintain their fragile view of how the world should be. Also one of the few pieces that gives a nod
Nick Nafpliotis
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully curated collection of small town Lovecratian terror.
Gevera Bert
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Solid Lovecraftian anthology.
Dr. Fiona M. Clements-Russell
A wonderfully crafted collection, 'Shadows Over Main Street' delves deep beyond the surface of your 'normal', everyday little town, where nothing ever happens, right? Wrong! Thankfully, there is way more going on than a first glimpse would ever reveal, and discovering just how much, is a terrifying journey into some very, very dark places.

These stories are all superb. They have been written by some of the very best authors in this genre, and they stand as a complete collection that deserves to b
Grampy
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Shadows Over Main Street” is a highly entertaining anthology of 20 stories richly incorporating the style and characters of H.P. Lovecraft. One need not be a Lovecraft aficionado to appreciate these delectable tales of horror run amuck, but if one IS a Lovecraft fan, this collection will be a delightful find.

The subtitle of this collection is ‘An Anthology of Small-Town Lovecraftian Horror’. Having lived a large part of my life in very, very small towns – with populations ranging from 150 to 50
Richard Howard
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
As with all anthologies this is a grab bag: some good, some middling, some poor. The best story - 'The Ogre' - has nothing to do with the Cthulhu mythos at all really. There are too many stories that have the same theme and tone - Dagon & his amphibian-like progeny - and only the final tale 'Homecoming' has a real twist-in-the-tale ending, which truly captures a Lovecraftian feeling of horror. It's worth a read if you don't have high expectations. ...more
Kris
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have a great love of horror anthologies. My only complaint is that every one contains a story or two that I really don't like. That was NOT the case with this collection. I loved them all. My only complaint with this book is that it ended FAR too soon!
Adam Armour
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
A good collection of short stories combining two of my very favorite things: small towns and madness-inducing Lovecraftian monstrosities. It's like a marriage made in Haddath.
Joshua Sexton
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Big fan of Lovecraftian horror. The way this book ties in small town life with otherworldly horror is great.
Dan Johnson
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The collision of small-town America and Lovecraftian nightmares makes for enjoyable reading. This is a fine collection of stories, bringing the horror of the Old Ones to the streets and front yards of the idyllic America that really never was. These are the "good old days" of fifties and sixties television, but with a darkness hiding just under the surface. I would recommend it for all lovers of weird fiction.
Lucy Furr
Not the best collection of Lovecraftian horror I've read, but there were still some good ones here.

The Black Pyramid, The Stagnant Breath of Change and The Friendless Bodies of Unburied Men were well worth the $1 I paid for this collection. Mountain Town, Estranged & The Crisis were also good reads.
John R. Dailey Jr.
A OLD BOX OF DREARY TALES IT IS.....

Hello, this is your usual collection of authors trying to be "Lovecraftian". I would say that half did an okay job and one of two were good. The rest were not so good. Thanks.
steven duane
Worth the price...but..

So I bought this solely for the Josh malerman story. Which sadly was one of the weakest stories in this collection. However, many of the other stories made it worth the money.
Brian Gardner
I'm not impressed.

The stories and writing were simply mediocre, nothing more needs to be said. Much of it barely got into the genre.
James Sabata
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovecraftian fiction set on the streets of every small town you’ve ever wandered through. Cosmic horror attacking the peace and tranquility of towns where people remember “that one time there was a car accident.” In the small nestled corners where people still move at a leisurely pace, Shadows Over Main Street introduces reasons to run.

These streets are no longer safe.

Twenty authors came together to create this amazing new take on Lovecraft’s world. What’s that you say? You’re unfamiliar with Lo
D.T. Griffith
Several good stories

I'm fairly new to the Lovecraft mythos and found this anthology to be a great experience in appreciating his legacy. I love dark stories set during the early and mid 20th century, so this felt like the perfect book to indulge. The small town settings work well for the creepy, organized groups of worshippers desiring full control of their environments as they called upon Cthulhu and the many other gods and monsters for their self-servitude at the detriment of innocent neighbor
James
Something about small town America lends itself so well to the horror genre, whether it be The Shadow over Innsmouth or The Children of the Corn and Twin Peaks. The small town, its isolation in time and space, its residents, all combine to provide the perfect atmosphere for fear.

There are many short stories in this collection of weird fiction - some are good, some are great, and some not that good at all. Yet, they nearly all manage to capture that small town atmosphere. America lends itself so
And_it_spoke
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
As far as anthologies go, this one is really, really even keel. A lot of anthologies give you super highs and super lows, but this stays at a steady above average level.

The downside, is that aside from Brian Hoge's contribution, none of the tale truly stand out. Good, consistent tales about cosmic, Lovecraftian horror lurking in familiar small town settings. Worth a read for a Lovecraft or a horror fan!
Ken McWilliams
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved most of the stories in this collection. Only two, very short, unfulfilling, stories kept me from awarding a five star rating. There are tales of a war between humans and gods, portals to dimensions of pure evil in small town America, human misery and suffering that would make any Old One ravenous.
Joanie
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Great choice for fans of Lovecraft
Jonathan
There is some great stuff in here, but there's also a lot of stuff that is pretty average in here.
Atris
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Average

A few good, a few pretty poor, but mostly mediocre. Not much else to say about it. Worth a look for the few good stories
Robin
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Expected to love it. Wanted to love it. Just didn't. Although there were a few good stories, most of them just left me cold.
Miki
Sep 08, 2018
Jaiden Schrubb
Jun 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add Shadows Over Main Street to My Books 5 22 Apr 15, 2016 08:43AM

• The Doom That Came to Dunwich: Weird mysteries of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • The Coming of the Old Ones
  • The Wendigo
  • Home From The Sea
  • Infestation (S-Squad #1)
  • Operation Mongolia (S-Squad #8)
  • Operation Antarctica (S-Squad #2)
  • Operation Syria (S-Squad #6)
  • Operation: Siberia (S-Squad #3)
  • Dark Harvest
  • Operation: Loch Ness (S-Squad #5)
  • Operation: Amazon (S-Squad #4)
  • Ashes and Entropy
  • Operation Norway (S-Squad #7)
  • Slither
  • Tales from the Gas Station: Volume Two
  • Food Chain (Bigfoot War #3)
  • Clown in a Cornfield

News & Interviews

“He felt the loyalty we all feel toward unhappiness—the sense that this is where we really belong.” —Graham Greene” 0 likes