Start by marking “The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming” as Want to Read:
The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming

The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  16,431 ratings  ·  1,008 reviews
A chance encounter with a reproduction of Rembrandt's The Return of the Prodigal Son catapulted Henri Nouwen on a long spiritual adventure. Here he shares the deeply personal and resonant meditation that led him to discover the place within where God has chosen to dwell.

In seizing the inspiration that came to him through Rembrandt's depiction of the powerful Gospel story,
Published March 1st 1994 by Image (first published 1991)

·  16,431 ratings  ·  1,008 reviews

Start your review of The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming
Roger Brunyate
Coming Home

The Return of the Prodigal Son, 1636

The Return of the Prodigal Son, 1642

The Return of the Prodigal Son, 1668

I was trained as an art historian, so I tend to look at Rembrandt's three versions of the parable of the Return of the Prodigal Son in terms of the artist's stylistic evolution: the baroque energy of the etching made when the artist was 30, the moving simplicity of the pen and wash drawing done six years later, and his final version, painted only a few months before he died, por
booklady
Father Nouwen's book forever changed me and the way I understood this parable of forgiveness, love and our relationship with God, the Father. I first read this book in 2001 and was amazed to discover the richness and depth within the simple story told by Jesus, and also grateful to be introduced in such a profound way to Rembrandt's famous painting which adds layers of meaning to this amazing parable about the vital aspects of Relationship.

Henri J.M. Nouwen—priest, author, teacher, renown publ
Fergus
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without question, this book is among the GREATEST TREASURES in my library.

I hold it in Olympian esteem, for it got me thinking seriously, and continuously - after retiring from a frenetic career - about the lengthy trajectory of redemption in my life.

It was a trajectory fraught with the sudden appearance of many threateningly proximate, and quite inimical, foreign objects, and fewer guideposts of refuge and certain guidance, along the way.

That was my spiritual struggle.

When I joined GR three
Laysee
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-books

"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds" - W. Shakespeare

The return of the prodigal son is a homecoming story that is as old as the hills and familiar to most. It is in essence a story about the breadth, depth, and height of a father's love. This time, the story is touchingly retold in a fresh new way alongside a famous painting of the same parable.

Its author, Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (1932-1996,) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest, a pastoral psychologist, and professor. He tau
Paul
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot to chew on with this elegant and short reflection on both Jesus' parable and Rembrandt's painting of the return of the prodigal son. I especially enjoyed Nouwen's confessional writing style, which allows him to preach without being preachy and convict the reader without claiming to do so. The best part is Nouwen's discussion of the elder son, often neglected in treatments of the parable but whose own journey is perhaps most relevant to many Christians, including myself.
Marie "Notcheva")
The Futile, Powerless God of Henri Nouwen

"Today I personally believe that while Jesus came to open the door to God's house, all human beings can walk through that door, whether they know about Jesus or not. Today I see it as my call to help every person claim his or her own way to God." – Henri Nouwen

The parable of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15 used to be my favorite Bible passage. Until a contemplative mystic priest named Henri Nouwen ruined it for me.

Several years ago, I wrote about my brief en
Meghan
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't usually like touchy-feely Christian books, but ought to give this one a try anyway
Shelves: favorites
Using Jesus’ well-known parable and Rembrandt’s painting of The Return of the Prodigal Son, Nouwen performs a thorough and meaningful close-read, expounding on the spiritual roles of Father, Brother, and Son (or, more appropriately, Parent, Sibling, and Child, since Nouwen does not dwell on gender specificity). Divided into three main sections, the book describes each of these figures, drawing further insight from Rembrandt’s painting and corresponding events in the painter’s life. The discussio ...more
Irene
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent, mature, thought-provoking reflection on the famous Gospel parable of the Prodigal Son. In sharing his very personal prayer with this story and its depiction by Rembrandt, Fr. Nouwen has written a universally insightful and challenging book. I need to buy
Longfellow
So much of the time it feels like Nouwen is writing about my life as much as his own. So far, this is yet another example.

Beautiful book that for me needed to be soaked up slowly. 3-4 months for me to read 140 pages. After finishing, and claiming no expertise in the matter, I'm going to say all pastors should read this book.

Why? Because of this conclusion: "Our community is full of wayward and angry children, and being surrounded by peers gives a sense of solidarity. Yet the longer I am part of
Drew
Enjoyed rereading this classic. Nouwen was a beautiful soul and a gift to the whole church.
Amy
This book changed me, plain and simple. From the way I view art, to the way I view myself, my relationships, and how I am to live my vocation. This is one I am going to have to plan to re-read regularly. So good.
Michelle Rogers
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great Lenten read. There were many sections I highlighted and will need to revisit in the future.
This excerpt from the epilogue sums up pretty well the challenge for spiritual growth this book provides:
"Rembrandt portrays the father as the man who has transcended the ways of his children. His own loneliness and anger may have been there, but they have been transformed by suffering and tears. His loneliness has become endless solitude, his anger boundless gratitude. This is who
Peter Blair
This book has some crazily accurate descriptions of what a perverse need for human affirmation feels like, and how reception of God's love is the answer. The call to move from a son who receives love to a father who gives is also really striking. It was really interesting, and helpful, to see a treatment of the story that cast the younger son's severance from the father in terms of looking for affirmation wrongly and so-called 'cold' or 'spiritual' vices instead of lust.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
The heart of the Bible is the parable of the Prodigal Son and Henri Nouwen's book on this parable is by far one of the best. I can read it over and over again and feel like I am reading it for the first time in my life. If you want to know what type of God we have in Christianity, then begin with this book and you will be proud that you are a Christian!
Alexis
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Reflection on Henri Nouwen's The Return of the Prodigal Son.

"I was dead tired, anxious, lonely, restless and very needy." How could this be, a priest and theologian, half a world away, 30 years ago, felt just like me? Aren't I the only one who feels this way? Isn't this how working moms of teenagers feel?

Again and again Henri Nouwen echoed, predicted and faced the emotions I am facing and his Return of the Prodigal Son.

Meeting with the small group (Small Christian Community - SCC) in the week
Cara DeBenedictis
Amazing book. Personally impacted how a parable in the Bible that is well known and I have read often can be taught again with such weight and poignancy.

Talks quite a bit about the prodigal son painting by Rembrandt so kinda have to like art history for that. Conclusion chapter about the father and our call to be most like him is what pushed it to 5 stars.

Also, epilogue is amazing because the author is a priest who wrote this book while living in a L’arche community and has some incredibly prof
LemonLinda
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the familiar story of the Prodigal Son seen through the visual of the 17th painting of the subject by Rembrandt and analyzed from the perspective of the younger son, the elder son and the father. The author sees parts of himself and really of us all in all three characters. Ultimately he sees the great love of the father who never forces that love on others, but is always there filled with love, equal for both, when the others are ready and willing to receive it.
Keely
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-but-unread
Just when I thought I had learned all the depth and insights possible in regard to the story of the Prodigal Son, this book showed me how mistaken I was. I was blown away by some of Nouwen’s reflections.
This book falls into the category of life-changing, soul-speaking books that I’ll never forget and never tire of rereading. Nouwen speaks directly to the deepest parts of me.
*Amended to 4 stars: some of his conclusions (that I had skimmed over) should be read with a discerning eye.*
Hannah Carter
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never experienced the parable of the prodigal son like this. Woah! I could read this book over and over!
Mariangel
This short book contains reflections on the Parable of the Prodigal son, focusing in turn on the younger son, the older son, and the Father. I have heard some of the insights in homilies before, others were new for me. Good to reread and ponder.
Bob
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On a handful of occasions, a work of art has riveted my attention. As a college student, a painting in the Butler Museum of Art titled "In Flanders Fields Where Soldiers Sleep and Poppies Grow" by Robert Vonnoh had that effect as I pondered young girls picking scarlet red poppies in what had once been a killing field. For Nouwen, it was a portion of Rembrandt's painting of the Return of the Prodigal Son that had this same effect. Eventually he spent several days meditating upon the original and ...more
Matthew Bianco
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, non-fiction
I received this book as a gift from a dear friend. And it may be one of the more important books I've read year to date. There are some books that a person reads, and it is just the book that person needs to read at that moment. This was one of those books for me. It may not be the book someone else needs to read today, but it will probably be a book you will need to read someday.

Nouwen's book is simultaneously autobiographical and devotional. But, it is more than just a devotional book on the B
Natalie Print
A unique book and exploration of the parable of the prodigal son, or should I say prodigal sons and the Father. Exploring each character in turn, Nouwen shares personal reflections on his journey with recognising the characteristics and challenge of each in his own life, and encourages us to do the same. I found the chapter on the elder brother especially helpful and poignant, which probably says a lot! The consideration of the call to be like God the Father was helpful and a new perspective on ...more
Mary Beth
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I don't agree with all of Nouwen's theology, this was a great book. There is a lot of insight here, not just about God as the Father, but about our relationships with other Christians.
Manuel Alfonseca
ENGLISH: A religious meditation based on the detailed analysis of a single parable by Jesus, and a single representation of the parable as a work of art by Rembrandt. The parable is just a page long, and the painting is just a painting, but Nouwen gets out of this a book 140 pages long, and makes us identify first with the younger son, then with the elder son, then with the father.

I think this is a good book, out of the ordinary, although I didn't like everything he says.

In fact, Nouwen didn't j
St Jerome
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, astounding, surprising, bewildering, stunning, staggering, mind-blowing, this are only few adjectives that can be used to describe this life changing book.

‘The themes of homecoming, affirmation, and reconciliation will be newly discovered by all who have known loneliness, dejection, jealousy, or anger. The challenge to love as God loves, and to be loved as God’s beloved, will be seen as the ultimate revelation of the parable known to Christians throughout time, and is here represented w
Elizabeth
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved how Nouwen wove stories from his own life with research on rembrandt, observations about the painting, and really deep reflections about Jesus's parable. There was a lot to think about and my understanding of the prodigal son story is so much fuller. And now I want to know more about Nouwen!
Teunie
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
4.5 star

I think Marie O'Toole definitley has a point in her review of this book and I think you should be aware of these points of criticism review

Nonetheless I learned a lot from it and would recommend it with the sidenote to read it critically
Matthew Richey
This book is powerful. I was deeply affected as I read it and gained insights in the parable of the lost son, the painting of the parable by Rembrandt, and my own soul as I read it. Wow!
Jacob Vahle
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the painting and the parable, and I won’t be able to think of either the same way again. Nouwen unpacks his personal relationship with the painting and speaks the truth of the Gospel in a way that reminds me of my identity as the Beloved.
The Catholic Book...: 3. The Younger Son 21 22 Jan 25, 2020 06:04AM
The Catholic Book...: 8. Along the way 26 27 Dec 07, 2019 03:35AM
The Catholic Book...: 4. The Elder Son 9 15 Dec 03, 2019 04:05AM
The Catholic Book...: 5. The Father 2 11 Nov 28, 2019 04:39AM
about how a son took all his father moeny and spened it all then came back running to daddy 4 37 Nov 28, 2019 04:38AM
The Catholic Book...: 1. Versions of this book 2 15 Nov 25, 2019 03:31AM
The Catholic Book...: 7. Favorite quotes 3 14 Nov 18, 2019 07:25PM

• Revelations of Divine Love
  • Wit
  • Loved as I Am: An Invitation to Conversion, Healing, and Freedom Through Jesus
  • Theology of Home: Finding the Eternal in the Everyday
  • Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian Community
  • The Heart of Perfection: How the Saints Taught Me to Trade My Dream of Perfect for God's
  • The Catholic Table: Finding Joy Where Food and Faith Meet
  • Mere Christianity
  • Your Blue Flame: Drop the Guilt and Do What Makes You Come Alive
  • Tree and Leaf: Including the Poem Mythopoeia
  • He Leadeth Me
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of

Related Articles

Tech pioneer, co-founder of Microsoft, co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and author Bill Gates is an avid reader who has ...
“For most of my life I have struggled to find God, to know God, to love God. I have tried hard to follow the guidelines of the spiritual life—pray always, work for others, read the Scriptures—and to avoid the many temptations to dissipate myself. I have failed many times but always tried again, even when I was close to despair.

Now I wonder whether I have sufficiently realized that during all this time God has been trying to find me, to know me, and to love me. The question is not “How am I to find God?” but “How am I to let myself be found by him?” The question is not “How am I to know God?” but “How am I to let myself be known by God?” And, finally, the question is not “How am I to love God?” but “How am I to let myself be loved by God?” God is looking into the distance for me, trying to find me, and longing to bring me home.”
103 likes
“Addiction" might be the best word to explain the lostness that so deeply permeates society. Our addiction make us cling to what the world proclaims as the keys to self-fulfillment: accumulation of wealth and power; attainment of status and admiration; lavish consumption of food and drink, and sexual gratification without distinguishing between lust and love. These addictions create expectations that cannot but fail to satisfy our deepest needs. As long as we live within the world's delusions, our addictions condemn us to futile quests in "the distant country," leaving us to face an endless series of disillusionments while our sense of self remains unfulfilled. In these days of increasing addictions, we have wandered far away from our Father's home. The addicted life can aptly be designated a life lived in "a distant country." It is from there that our cry for deliverance rises up.” 84 likes