Start by marking “Breaking Saint Jude” as Want to Read:
Breaking Saint Jude

Breaking Saint Jude

When sixteen-year-old Jude Calvert sets out to steal stained glass from a broken cathedral window, he finds more than shards of red. He finds Max Rangel - his eye candy from his new LGBT support group - hauling a giraffe carcass across an abandoned part of town with a pack of guys. And he still accepts Max's dinner invite a few days later.

Still, animal lover Jude can't ge
Published January 14th 2015 by Createspace Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Saint Jude, please sign up.

Sandra
This was my 2nd foray into the writings of Nikki Godwin, and where the first one was all about finding the courage to be yourself, this book was, while darker and morbid overall, about finding yourself and embracing being different. It's about learning to deal with loss in a way that may not make sense to others, but works for you.

Jude Calvert, teenager, is attending a support group for LGBTQ teens, after his first boyfriend (Drew) was yanked away by Drew's religious parents and sent to a conve
J.S.
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One helluva weird-ass story. I mean, seriously, WTF?

*I enjoyed a book about Taxidermy.
Taxidermy: Bleugh! & ~Shiver~.
I once accidentally touched a real fur coat and was repulsed by my own fingers for the rest of the day. True story. If a new bloke took me to those places Max took Jude... makes me sick a bit in my mouth just thinking about it... No. Just. No.

Not only that but...

*I developed quite some crush on the Former-Game-Hunter-Taxidermist.
<3 Levi!

*I LOLed over a dead giraffe.

And...

*P
Tanya
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: owned-books, r2r
This book was given to me by the author for free in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

I liked the main character, Jude, right away. He's a gay vegetarian who owns black cats and loves polar bears. When we first meet him, he's on his way to an lgbt youth support group. He uses the "f-word" a lot (so do some of the other characters) so you might not like the book if that type of thing bothers you. He sees an attractive guy at the support group meeting and nicknames him Eye Can
Emily Godwin
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breaking Saint Jude is the perfect mix of love, weirdness, and straight up 'did that seriously just happen?' This book is by far my favorite of Nikki's, and I'm so happy she published it. Jude is sarcastic and says the best things ever. Max is the greatest love interest I have ever read in a book. He is just absolutely amazing. Levi Griffin, the living Nightmare Before Christmas, is one of the greatest characters in existence.

Read this book. You need Jude Calvert in your life.
Max Baker
I've been wanting to read this book since June and was honestly pretty disappointed when it was pushed back from its original October release date. There was something about this book that just seemed to call me. Maybe it was the fact that even with its summery, the plot still seemed like a mystery to me. I knew it was a YA LGBT romance, but that was it. I know the author called it "weird" and that only made me want to read it more.

The gist of the book is a boy named Jude starts dating a boy nam
Nicole
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
{ i was given a free e - book of this book in exchange for review }

I instantly loved this book from the very first paragraph, "I always secretly hope when I walk into support group meetings, everyone will rise from their chairs and burst into songs from Rent. It's never happened, and I know it won't tonight."
That first paragraph made me want to continue reading.

I think Jude is one of my all time favorite book characters. I love his little quirks, like his thing with shards of glass {Read the bo
Yvonne (The Shadow Realm)
Review and Giveaway: The Shadow Realm

I'll be honest. When I first heard about this one I was a bit hesitant to read it because I absolutely hate taxidermy. I can't stand the thought of animals being treated that way. But because this is Nikki Godwin I knew I had to give it a shot because I have adored everything this woman has wrote so far. I went into this with an open mind and I am so glad I did because like all of Godwin's other books, I loved it.
I'm not sure what I can say about this book an
Christina
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Nikki Godwin. What can I say about Nikki Godwin? Well, I tend to love anything she writes, and that includes her latest book, Breaking Saint Jude, a LGBT YA romance. Yes, two boys fall in love. In like? Anyways, it was simply perfect. I mean, an awkward, slightly dark, glass collecting gay teen (Jude) falls in love with the mysterious "I think I like you but I don't even know you and your friends are kinda shady" hot guy (Max).

There were so many lines in this book that I loved, one being: "We'r
Kylee
Breaking Saint Jude is not the first book I've read by Nikki Godwin, however I've found that she likes to keep things different. Surfers, boybands, taxidermy.

You get the idea.

But my favorite thing about her is the fact she's the queen of interesting secondary characters. Seriously. I loved each and every one of the boys in the "brotherhood," even if I would have crossed the street to avoid them in real life.

And even though her books are so different she finds a way to connect them. It could be s
Chasia Lloyd
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is weird and twisted and awesome.

It's not a coming-out book, since Jude and his family are well in-the-know about his sexuality. It's about that part of the teenage years where you feel "different" and "broken". Jude collects broken glass and black cats. He has more hang-ups over his old therapist than his ex-boyfriend. He just doesn't feel like he belongs, even at LGBT support group meetings. That is, until he meets Max and enters the "brotherhood" of other broken men. Breaking Saint
Deirdre
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore Jude!

Author Nikki Godwin took a risk, dove in, and created a story that has me rooting for a boy who just wants to be loved and share in a brotherhood, but who also has so much heart, so much love to give. From rescuing black cats, collecting broken glass, to risking so much, Jude is a keeper in all his wacky wonder.
Pau
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the "weirdness" of this book. *cough* I love Levi fchshshg Griffin *cough*
I read this book while I'm travelling via train and I actually teared up over Frost. All in all the story is cute, dark and awesome. Every characters will give you different reasons to love them. ❤
Christine
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
A very well written book but it just came off as dark and creepy to me. The characters imo never really meshed well together.
Namina
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really weird story about a boy, his new friends and some dead animals. I thought it would be a romance, but there wasn't much of that. Not bad, quite good with some unexpected turns. A good read for a stormy weekend.
Dena
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, ya-na
3.75*
Kathleen
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first non fiction LGBT book but I have read several memoirs of gay you tubers. I wasn't sure what to expect of it and found the relationship between the 2 young boys,,so different from one another yet the perfect match and it was reflected well in the writing. I thoroughly was impressed that author included the family in the story as well to show that parental acceptance is fundamental in developing the self esteem of teens that are contemplating coming out or have come out. No matte ...more
Tara Spears
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is probably closer to 3.5 stars only for the fact I believe this would appeal to teen boys between 14 and 17.

This story begins with a bang. I mean come on, rainbow glass and a dead giraffe? What's more intriguing than that? I also liked the fact Jude and Max met right off the bat at an LGBT support group.

From there? Well, my favorite character was Levi, a secondary character. I had a hard time liking either of the protags because we never l
Karen
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars--a peculiar, yet sweet short read.
Carol
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-romance
dnf at 40%.
This was a weird story with a lot of dead animals and strange-acting teenagers. From the blurb, I thought it sounded like my kind of romance. Usually I love strange, I embrace the weird. But here, I could not bring myself to care for the characters at all. Jude and Max seemed too bland, despite the interesting set-up. Perhaps I just needed more sex or something like romance between them. Anyway, if you want to read a kick-ass story about gay youths and taxidermy, better read "Diary of
Ashley Squires
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
À different kind of love story

I loved this story it kept my interest throughout. All the characters were fun interesting and I wanted to know more. The romance was cute and though it was the point of the story the plot was the focus.
Shannon
Well written but the whole book had a super creepy tone to it and I never felt as if these two were on the same page except for the sexual/physical attraction.
jules0623
Weird ass story. Not badly written, but the whole taxidermy thing turned me off.
CeCeO2
Travis Copeland
rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2015
Minna
rated it did not like it
May 30, 2015
Jan 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Intervention
  • Tristant and Elijah
  • Vivaldi in the Dark (Vivaldi in the Dark, #1)
  • Sacrificed (Little Boy Lost, #6)
  • The Cost of Loving (Unconditional Love, #2)
  • (In)visible
  • 366 Days
  • Atom Heart John Beloved
  • The Bravest Thing
  • Private Display of Affection
  • Saturday Night (Saturday Night, #1)
  • St. Clair (Gives Light , #3)
  • Happy Endings Are All Alike
  • Something Like Thunder (Something Like, #6)
Nikki Godwin is a Young Adult author. Her books are usually about surfers, musicians, or M/M romances. She can't live without Mountain Dew, black eyeliner, and music by Hawthorne Heights. When not writing, she internet-stalks her favorite bands and keeps tabs on surf competitions. Her favorite surfer is Gabriel Medina, but Conner Coffin is a close second. If you ever get her started on surfing or ...more
“The last thing I need is more high school drama but a support group that doesn’t dig into my personal business sounds good. They can keep the drama for themselves.” 2 likes
“But telling a giraffe killer that I need someone is not an option.” 2 likes