Start by marking “Passing Notes” as Want to Read:
Passing Notes

Passing Notes

Mark has finally gotten the attention of the girl of his dreams. Only, his lame attempts at romance through texts and emails seem to be turning her off. When he gets put in the back of the room in an over-full class at school, he begins to discover old notes giving advice about how to write a great love letter. At first he thinks he’s stumbled on some long-forgotten notes ...more
Published January 29th 2015 by Fire and Ice Young Adult Books

To ask other readers questions about Passing Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passing Notes

Marla
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable Novella for young adults. Who doesn't enjoy the first love or crush of a young boy. A little bit of paranormal activity. Light-hearted enjoyable read. The author does a great job of giving you a little bit of the characters' lives without making you feel like something is missing.

I thank the author for a free copy of her book for an honest review.
Cathy Ryan
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, paranormal
4.5*
This novella highlights today’s changing world and how the ways of communication differ from not that many years ago. The art of letter writing is becoming obsolete along with the need for cursive writing, as computers figure largely in education and people use texting and emails to keep in touch. When Mark Dowd finds himself having to use a very old, odd-looking piece of furniture as a desk in his English class he notices a half hidden carving in the wood. A heart with the name Eileen styli
Shay Mills
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
‘Passing Notes' by D. G. Driver is a romantic novelette for all ages. It touts a young adult feel since it takes place with the two main characters still in high school. It is refreshing to read a love story from a male perspective, and this author delivers a romantic roller coaster. This was a fascinating approach to today's societal issues with communication by text and social media only. The lesson learned in this delightful novella is how to be romantically conversive aside from using a cell ...more
Vega_girl
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute, not what I expected.
Rachel Barnard
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mark Dowd has never had a girlfriend and never been in love, so when the girl he’s had a crush on since seventh grade is sitting outside his job, having cried her eyes out, he gets his chance to show her what a decent dateable guy he is. Mark has also never had to woo anyone before and his first halfhearted attempts are met with indignation and the cold shoulder. Mark is making mistakes left and right trying to romance this girl. He’s about to lose her when a mysterious ghost writer begins to gi ...more
Anesha †Curious & Obsessive Bookworm†
5 PASSING STARS

I'm so glad I was given the opportunity to read this book! *_*

It's so sweet and just simply beautiful. The ghost writer had me questioning and wondering, trying to figure out who it was (I got it early on and I was aww-ing like a fucking idiot at the end!)

Sigh.

I can't explain how amazing this short read was. Its so simple but the impact and the message in and of itself is beyond powerful.

Mark and Beth couldn't have been more different, yet with Mark being thoughtful and the humil
Teri
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As the mother of teenage boys who can be completely clueless about teenage girls, I especially enjoyed this heartwarming novella. Having just a hint of Cyrano de Bergerac combined with light supernatural elements, this story grabbed me immediately and can easily be finished in one sitting.

With today's technology changing the way we communicate, the handwritten letter is truly a lost art form. Passing Notes is a reminder that pouring your heart into an actual love letter can mean so much more and
Nancy Pennick
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mark loved Bethany since seventh grade and when he gets a chance to be her boyfriend, he doesn't want to ruin it. The relationship is new, and every time he thinks he's doing the right thing, he seems to make things worse, until a ghost writer makes an appearance. Mark gets ghostly letters at school, helping him understand what a relationship is really about. He uses these notes to help him win back the girl he thinks he may have lost.
Sometimes a text is not enough. I think that's what the autho
Bodicia
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This novelette is such a sweet love story. It is promoted as YA fiction because both the main characters are still in high school but actually this is a love story for all romantics.

When the new semester begins Mark finds himself relegated to the back of an oversubscribed class and having to use an old desk full of stuff which is long forgotten. As his mind wanders his eye catches a beautiful heart carved out on the desk. He can't quite make out what is written inside the heart as it is in cursi
Kim
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was such an amazing and sweet novella about love and the ability to share it. Mark is an unpopular boy at school who happens to have a crush on Bethany, the most popular girl. He has tried to email and text her, but that has not worked. Then, when he is placed at the back of the class, someone starts leaving him hints on what to do to get her attention. The mysterious helper coaches the young Mark on how to gain Bethany’s affection and keep it.

I thought this was just a sweet story until I g
Doris
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good read!!
Passing Notes is a short read by D. G. Driver, and it is all about a boy named Mark. Mark is in love, and he really has one shot at winning the heart of Bethany- the trouble is.... that he is really blowing it. As he is thinking of what all he is doing wrong, he finds a letter that is oddly fitting to his current situation. He keeps getting the notes and he learns what happens when he doesn't pay heed to the advice he is given. What is a love-sick boy to do??
I really e
Rachel
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Passing Notes is about Mark, a below-average guy doing his best to pursue Bethany, who happens to be one of the most popular and beautiful girls in his high school. Their new relationship seems to be fizzling out and Mark is clueless as to why... until a mysterious presence makes it his mission to help him seal the deal. Can Mark learn from his mistakes and use the advice he's given to build a lasting love?

The subtle moral of this novella is that love can only grow when we put some thought and e
Laura Wolfe
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a quick read to get me in the Valentine's Day spirit, and Passing Notes delivered. As the previous reviews state, this is a sweet novella about a teenage boy trying to master the art of writing a love letter to his new girlfriend (with a little help from a ghost). I appreciated the story even more after reading the author's note at the end. She was inspired by the dying art of letter writing after learning cursive is often no longer taught in schools and witnessing teens replac ...more
Alyssa Cooper
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With her novel Cry of the Sea, D.G. Driver established herself as a new voice to watch in YA fantasy - with this novella, she proves the reputation was well deserved.

Passing Notes takes a new look at the familiar paranormal romance genre, with a unique main character (so many YA protagonists are clever, well-read, and well-spoken - Mark's character offered a nice change of pace) and a new angle on the romance (humans never get to date other humans in paranormal romances!).

It was a pleasant story
Donna (More Than a Review)
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Passing Notes is a young adult short-story that this adult truly enjoyed. I also think younger readers would enjoy the book and it would be appropriate. It is very easy to read and even with all of our technology, readers can relate to the storyline of the impact of a well written letter.
There is a little supernatural with a ghost giving Mark advice on his communication with his girlfriend, Bethany. Don’t be turned off by the ghost, it is very well done and sweet. The ghost wraps up the story b
Caitlyn
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

This book was a fun little afternoon read. It didn't take long at all to finish and it was an enjoyable story.

The paranormal element was a fun addition and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Mark is forced by the ghost to write in cursive. I see/hear people saying that they hate cursive and it's a waste of time and I die a little inside. I'm a big fan of cursive. Plus writing letters is so much more fun than texting or emailing. Even if i
Dawn
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free ecopy of this novella for an honest review.

Passing Notes is a novella about young love but with a touch of paranormal. It’s a sweet story that I enjoyed.
Even though this is a novella, D.G. Driver did a good job at developing the characters. It’s obvious that Mark, who is telling the story, is a good guy who is hopelessly in love.

A couple of current issues are brought to attention, both of which are bothersome to me. One is how much texting and emailing replaces talking and spen
Caroline
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I looooove this novella about this kid who just wants to get the girl, but he's just so hopeless. Well, that is until he starts getting ghost letters telling him what an idiot he is and instructions on how to properly write a love letter and woo the girl of his dreams.

It's just a sweet, sweet story and the ending is a little unexpected (at least it was for me!) and left me saying "awww!"

I highly recommend anything D. G. Driver writes. She's amazing.

* DISCLAIMER: I do work for the company that
Midwest Romantic
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it

Originally posted on my Blog Live Laugh & Love Books

Such a great little love story! It’s marked as a Young Adult, but it could also fall into a Adult Romance as well. It’s soooooooooo adorably sweet! Passing Notes was a quick read that put a smile on my face, but made me hold back tears just a little bit.

Writing letters just isn’t what it used to be and I enjoy that in this book Mark is encouraged to write letters! Overall a very good read that I suggest everyone read.

*I received a complime
Theresa Needham fehse
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Free book for honest review. juliesbookreview.blogspot.com

Mark is a quiet high school boy who has had a crush on Bethany since 7th grade. He starts getting relationship advice via some “old” notes and if he doesn’t follow the advice, things start going wrong.

I really enjoyed reading this novella. It was very well written and the author was able to pull me into the story and keep me there. It had a surprise ending that I kind of figured out before hand, but I wasn’t sure and was pleasantly surp
Kim
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mark is a highschool student who is sitting at a desk at school and notices a heart with a name Eileen it in. He is really curious about it. He traces it and ever since he did a "ghost" talks to him and helps him with a girl name Bethany Mark is interested in. I was very interesting in learning more about this heart and who the ghost was. I found it fasinating who they were.

D.G. Driver did a wonderful job with this story. The characters,the story line and the description of things thoughtout th
Christina
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A charming novella about the power of words in love.

Mark is not a good student, and his inability with words leads to his new girlfriend cooling off his advances. Drastic action comes in the form of notes that seem to directly apply to him... and guide him towards reigniting Bethany's love.

Although short, this story packed quite a punch in the form of charm, drama, and life messages. Part magical tale, part coming-of-age, this is beautifully written short fiction.

*I received a free copy from the
Allies Opinions
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This story is so sweet. It transcends time and generations. In a world of everything electronic, the novelty of a beautifully written letter couldn't be more romantic. I love who the ghost ends up being. It ties the story up really well. I couldn't think of a way for this story to be any better. The author has such a great voice for teenagers. I would recommend this book to anyone.

It's very refreshing to have a story that isn't full of blood and sex. There is so much more to romance than physic
Kelly Akemann
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This very strong novella gives one hope that the art of communication is still alive and well. I fell deeper in love with my husband as a result of the letters we wrote while he was in the Army. It is something kids are losing as we become more technology based in society. An excellent short story reflecting this issue.
Bethany
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Passing Notes is an excellent short story and a great inspiration to a generation that is rapidly losing the art of meaningful communication. I hope more young adults read this book and realize how significant a simple letter can be. I love that the time, effort, and thoughtfulness that goes into a letter are emphasized and that Mark really reaps the benefit of his determination!
Maria
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Great Read

This was such a sweet story! This story grabbed your attention and didn't let go. Loved the little twist at the end. A must read, especially for anyone who likes a little love story.
Serena Lamontagne
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book

This book is fantastic for all the men out there trying to write a love letter this is the book for you
Stacie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What happened between Mark & Bethany? ❤❤❤
Cindy
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Valerie
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Coming of age romance that shows the guys perspective and how they struggle to do the right things. Shows that teenage boys have more on their mind then just sex. Heartwarming, quick read to brighten up your day, with just a small amount of the paranormal to keep things interesting!
99 cent Bestsellers: Passing Notes 1 7 Aug 25, 2016 06:20PM
YA & NA Romance ♥: YA Romance For Review 1 7 Apr 20, 2015 10:47AM
D. G. Driver is an optimist at heart, and that's why she likes to write books about young people who strive to make a difference in the world. From her teen environmentalist in The Juniper Sawfeather Trilogy, a young girl teaching her friends autism acceptance and to stop bullying people with special needs in No One Needed to Know, a princess who desires to be more than a pampered prize for a prin ...more