Start by marking “Long Macchiatos and Monsters” as Want to Read:
Long Macchiatos and Monsters

Long Macchiatos and Monsters

Jalen, lover of B-grade sci-fi movies, meets the far-too-handsome P in a cafe while deciding whether or not to skip uni again. When P invites them along to a double feature of Robot Monster and Cat Women of the Moon, Jalen can hardly believe that hot boys like bad sci-fi, too. But as their relationship progresses, Jalen realizes P leaves them wondering if they're on the sa ...more
Published January 28th 2015 by Less Than Three Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Long Macchiatos and Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Macchiatos and Monsters

Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*3.5/5

I can’t think of a better way to wrap up Pride month than reading an adorable, sexy novella about trans folks falling in love tbh
Acqua
Long Macchiatos and Monsters is a novelette that follows the romance between two disabled trans people of color in Melbourne - Jalen, who is genderqueer, and P, who is a trans man - as they bond over bad sci-fi movies.

It's a really cute story with ownvoices trans representation, but the writing could have been better - the time jumps were jarring sometimes and the dialogue didn't flow that well - and I have to say that "let's have sex in random public places" has never been a trope that works fo
Taryn (Taryn and Her Books)
This was cute, but the writing was a little too choppy and disjointed and I felt like I barely knew the characters.
Romie
Do you ever just read something and it's like impossible not to smile? Because this is what happened to me while I was reading this ridiculously adorable story.

This is cutest and dorkiest story about Jalen, a genderqueer movie major, and P, a transgender boy. Both love absolutely horrible sci-fi movies, and somehow this is all they need to start liking each other.

This story is about understanding who you are, being utterly happy because someone who gets you is there by your side, but also a sto
Luce
I received a copy of this from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a refreshing thing to read amid a paper sea of heteronormativity! I get to read so few love stories about trans characters and I was really excited when I got approved for this on netgalley. I loved both P and Jalen, and really enjoyed seeing their relationship develop. As the story went along they quietly taught me new things about being trans, even though the purpose of this book isn't to
Vee S
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer-adult
SO GOOD, I loved it. It's a very quick read but packs a punch full of feels. More #ownvoices trans people loving trans people pls. This is very much my happy place. :)
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
Long Macchiatos and Monsters is a novella that everyone should pick up. I, because destiny I would believe lmao, saw it one time in my TL on Twitter and decided to save the name. Yesterday I searched for it and saw that it is so frigging cheap on Kindle ??!!?!? (BUY IT!!!) so I obvi bought it. It's 100000% the best.

Both MCs are transgender and also people of color. The setting are definitely various parts of the city like coffee shops, classrooms, cinemas, P's apartment and even out of town plac
Monika
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-cis
Did I just read a romance - that I liked? Apparently I did. At this point, I'm pretty certain Alison Evans can write anything and I'll read it. Their writing is so beautiful and natural and honestly, a true pleasure to read. Long Macchiatos and Monsters has a sweet storyline and interesting main characters; a trans guy and a genderqueer person, both POC with disabilities, who are in that whirlwind "just fell in love" stage. The story is completely outside of heteronormativity and that's both ref ...more
namericanwordcat
Awkward new adult dating with a geeky bad movie habit with a disinterested non binary college student and a mohawked too sexy transgendered hero.

Everything that is this story is good. P and Jalen lightly but with real care deal with issues of gender, class, and disability. However, it is pretty short and some some elements feel stunted and P's lack of communication skills are weary making but lovely overall.
pi
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A romance novella that you can devour in one sitting and it's perfect to escape cisheteronormativity and white able-bodied stories, for it features trans characters of colour with physical disabilities, and it's written by a non-binary author.

I give four stars instead of five beceause the story felt rushed at some points and I think there are aspects that could haven been explored a bit more. I really wish it was longer <3
Ceillie Simkiss
This was short, sweet and adorable. I love that both main characters were trans and there was no bone made about it. That was just who they were, and that was great.
Avery (Book Deviant)
See more of my reviews on my blog the Book Deviant

Hilariously cute

Long Macchiatos and Monsters starts right away with Jalen in their seat at the cafe, studying a poster for a B-rate sci-fi movie. Already, Evans is creating this lifelike and relatable character that anyone would find a piece of themselves in. Jalen felt natural and so much like myself that I knew I had found something that would affect me immensely.

Not long after, P walks in and you get this stunning description that basically s
Aleksandra
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely short romance novella.

Long Macchiatos and Monsters is about two people meeting at the cafe, going on a date to see terrible movies and them starting dating. For such a short format, we get to see the development of their relationship. It’s not very common to follow two people just dating and not their path to do it. Established relationships are fun to read about.

The story is told from Jalen’s pov. Jalen is college student, movie major. Jalen is genderqueer, they have a twin sister, they
kari
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could say that nothing really happens in this novella, but it would be so not true. There's a lot going on between the characters - and they're both complex, exceptional people. But the ending feels resolved a bit too quickly.
Alice
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, lgbtq, ya
3.75*
Dahlia
Enjoyed this SO much; what delightful voice and comfortable chemistry.
anna (readingpeaches)
would be so much better if it was longer & edited like 3 more times but okay
Franciska
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
3.5*
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Short and cute novella featuring two disabled main characters of color. One, a genderqueer person, another a man who's trans. They bond over their love of bad movies and terrible coffee and its just so cute! Felt a little fast paced at times, but it's nothing that stops you from enjoying the story.
Allie (alliembooks)
This was such a cute novella! It was refreshing getting to read about both a non-binary character and a trans boy. I love being able to find more diversity in novellas, but I do hope that we'll get more diversity (especially gender diversity) in full-length novels soon.

I enjoyed the characters and felt like the relationship was really sweet. The entire aesthetic of the story was perfection. I haven't read many things set in Australia either, so that was really refreshing! I also liked the fact t
TransBookReviews
10/10 stars!

"I didn’t hesitate for a moment in awarding five stars to this little gem, and I’ll be keeping an eye out for more from this author in the future" - Matt

" I could’ve kept reading for ages and ages. 5 stars and a definite recommendation for basically everyone." - Maria

Find our full reviews on our blog here.
saskia
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, favourites
Our main character is genderqueer and our love interest is trans. They meet at a coffee shop, share a love of bad sci-fi films and are incredibly CUTE. The importance of pronouns is raised and how hurtful and harmful misgendering is from strangers and family.

44 pages of development. Usually very short stories/novels/novellas(?) can seem rushed if the world has no other content. But this. Was. Perfect.
Charlie
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That was very cute! A short fluffy story about two people falling in love.
I started reading it and was surprised that it kinda sounded like a tumblr post. I can't explain why just like idk syntax? And then I was surprised to find out the narrator was trans. And brown. And so was the love interest! And then they mention how theyre both missing parts and play fight about it and its all very cute.
Katrina (trinareadsbooks)
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute and short read! I loved it!
Laura (bbliophile)
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was so cute aaaah!!
Leah
Rep: genderqueer MC, trans MC, Latinx MC, black MC, disabled MCs, bisexual MCs, mentally ill MC (depression)
Warnings: deadnaming, mention of past self-harm and/or suicide attempt
Meredith Katz
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I probably picked up Long Macchiatos and Monsters by Alison Evans during one of the sales; when I was flipping through my kindle on Thursday to look for something to read, I saw the title and couldn't remember anything about it, but hey, I'm always in the mood for monsters, so why not? Spoilers: There aren't any monsters in this novelette, but it didn't matter that it ran counter to what I thought I was in the mood for, because the charming feel of the writing drew me in almost immediate ...more
Eve
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[I was given this book in exchange for an honest review].

Short Review: Oh, I wish I could rate this 6/5 or even higher. I adored this short story so, so much. Jalen and P are both big giant film nerds who fall for one another, have a bit of a rocky start, but end on the right note. Oh, and they're queer, trans characters. This is basically all I ever wanted.

Long review: I'm probably completely biased for loving this as much as I do because it basically hit on two main needs in fiction 1) nerds i
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Boy Called Cin
  • The Fairy Gift
  • The Trouble
  • A Matter of Disagreement (Mechanical Universe #1)
  • A Cut Above the Rest
  • Roller Girl (Lake Lovelace, #3)
  • A Shadow of a Dream
  • Caroline's Heart
  • The Harem Master (Tales of Tavamara, #3)
  • Alexey Dyed in Red (The Zhakieve Chronicles #1)
  • The Burnt Toast B&B (Bluewater Bay #5)
  • Dragon Consultant (Supernatural Consultant #1)
  • Treasure
  • A Hard Ride Home
  • Starting Fires (Sumeria's Sons, #3.5) (Sumeria's Magi, #2)
  • Ink
  • Vision Quest
  • Under The Knife
“He comes out in shorts and the same V-neck shirt. One of his legs from just below the knee is a prosthesis. It's made of a dark metal and has swirling, jagged patterns on it. I feel like I should have known this, but I've only seen him in pants because it's winter. "Sorry,” 0 likes
“His eyes follow my hand; it's only got three fingers. Well, two fingers and a thumb. But he doesn't look at it like it's disgusting. He” 0 likes