Start by marking “Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)” as Want to Read:
Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)

Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  4,950 Ratings  ·  352 Reviews
BUM RAP

Miami lawyer Jake Lassiter has had it with shifty clients, dirty prosecutors, and a legal system out of whack. It’s enough to make a man want to leave Florida and never look back...until he gets a call from Victoria Lord, the better half of hot local legal team Solomon & Lord. Her partner in life and law has been arrested for murder. What’s worse: the only pers

Published July 1st 2015 by Thomas & Mercer

Zoeytron
Although I prefer my courtroom novels to be more of the down and dirty variety, Bum Rap was a decent lighthearted read with Russian mobsters, federal agents, and beautiful B girls. For those of you to whom it appeals, there are also myriad sports references, similes, and metaphors. Mildly humorous ('Your Honor, I suspect skullduggery.') and even a little silly at times, managing to use the term 'defense lawyer cooties'.

Granny Lassiter was fun, 'having been old for about thirty years', she sports
Mike French
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What happens when you combine 2 of my favorite series? 5+++ stars! Lassiter and Solomon v Lord come together in this non-stop enjoyable and entertaining thriller! If you haven't read any of Paul Levine's books,do yourself a favorite and start. My 2 favorite authors are Carl Hiaasen and Paul Levine,who both write humorous thrillers.
Jim
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I literally picked up the paperback, "Bum Rap", from author Paul Levine while walking past a bargain bin of books recently. While skimming through a few pages I decided to give it a try. What I found was a witty and irreverent legal/ crime thriller that was enjoyable to read as it was difficult to put down. When I found out it was also the eleventh book within a series from author Paul Levine I was somewhat surprised. Lawyer and investigator Jake Lassiter is hired to represent Steve Solomon, who ...more
L.A. Starks
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Frans Van Vliet
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Engaging, beginning till the end.

I enjoyed reading this book. The characters are described in human, self doubting detail. It's a suspenseful, engaging and realistically well written story.
Roxie Gallinger
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to great characters to some great law an order. Solomon and Lord, and Lassiter have it all
Craig Pittman
I yield to no one in my admiration for Paul Levine's series of books about beat-up ex-NFL linebacker turned Miami lawyer Jack Lassiter. His prose usually sings, his jokes land nine times out of ten and his legal showdowns are entertaining -- plus he's got a great sense of the wackiness of crime in Florida. But this book was a letdown.

The problem, I think, is that Levine is trying to mush together Lassiter with his other series regulars, bickering lover-lawyers Steve Solomon and Victoria Lord. So
Heather
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-kindle
Fun, entertaining story.
Micki33
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun

This was my first introduction to Jake Lassiter and I enjoyed the character very much. I've read the Solomon & Lord series so I was more inclined to trying this book. A light, sometimes funny read.
Gloria Feit
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
From the publisher: NFL linebacker-turned-lawyer Jake Lassiter has had it with slippery clients, dirty prosecutors, and a legal system out of whack. It’s enough to make a man want to leave Miami and never look back - - until he gets a call from Victoria Lord, the better half of hot local legal team Solomon & Lord. Her partner in life and law has been arrested for murder. What’s worse: the only person who can clear him had fled the city. Now it’s up to Jake and Victoria to track down the witn ...more
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Thomas & Mercer for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. (Purchased audiobook, as well)

Paul Levine returns with BUM RAP (Jake Lassiter #11) with continuous wit, comic crime, courtroom antics, sexy Russian bar gals, legal, sleuthing, a southern street smart granny, a smoking gun and some hot Miami heat by combining heroes, Jake, Steve, and Victoria for a "laugh out loud" mystery thriller; especially for us South Florida residents and Levine fans.

Combining the bes
Ben
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bum Rap is a pleasant, comfortable book to read. Jake Lassiter has a wry sense of self-deprecating humor. He knows that he never going to be a millionaire partner in a big firm; his fate is to defend skells and get them off with as little time as possible. If he has to stretch and bend the law about, well, that's the way it goes. Sometimes the law, as opposed to justice is served and sometimes it serves up a lemon.
This case involves A Russian B-girl who wants her gangster boss, who holds her bac
John
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Attorney Steve Solomon is hired by a Russian B-Girl (Bar Girl) to help her get her passport and back pay from her mobster boss. But everything goes wrong and the mobster is dead, the B-girl disappears and Steve is left holding the gun and charged with murder. It's a conflict of interest for his law partner and life partner Victoria Lord so she calls in former linebacker turned lawyer Jake Lassiter to defend him. The case hinges on the testimony of the missing B-girl with Jake and Victoria compet ...more
Jeanne
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015, mysteries
I prefer darker, more psychological mysteries and this was light, fun, and fast-moving. Still, the characters are fun, yet struggling. Levine name drops people and case decisions, as Lassiter attempts to identify a way of getting Solomon out of the trouble he's in. He and Lord make a good team even though she is Solomon's life and law partner.

Will he get Solomon out of trouble? Will the only witness help Solomon or serve the State? Will Lord and Lassiter color outside the lines? Will Solomon co
Harvee
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Legal thriller readers will love this book. Though not lawyerly-inclined, I was equally intrigued by the arguments and strategies Lord and Lassiter use to bring about the final outcome. But first they have to find out what really happened the day the Russian mafia type was killed, supposedly by Solomon. Solomon is saying something different, however, but is it the truth?

Rating: 4.5/5
Thanks to the author and book tour group for a review copy.

My full review: http://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/20.
Mark
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Levine brings another solid Lassiter, although I miss his retired ME guru Doc Riggs, by the way, what happened to Doc Riggs?...like Parker & Jance Levine brings characters from different series together with great success...Lassiter defends Steve Solomon while Victoria Lord 2nd chairs...interesting dynamic that's a winner...somebody fill me in on Doc Riggs...he was kinda like Travis Magee's Meyer...anyway good stuff here!
Carol
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jake Lassiter and Solomon & Lord together! Great read, funny and engaging. I like legal thrillers and legal stories, and this kept my attention better than many. I have enjoyed the Solomon & Lord novels and the Jake Lassiter novels, so bringing them together in the same story was a terrific idea. Levine's novels are well plotted but don't have any gloom and doom that you see sometimes. This was a relatively fast, enjoyable read with a good, if predictable ending. Recommended.
Pam Mooney
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am new to the series so this book was a pleasant surprise. I certainly understand now why Levine has such loyal followers. This book is paced fast and delivers a lot of intrigue. While light it is a thinking person's mystery where the reader is strategizing along with the characters. I love the gumshoe meets lawyer feel of the story and the hints of adventures yet to come.

Katherine
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun rap

I really enjoyed the characters, the humor, and the trial at the end. I will definitely read more from this author.
Robin Edman
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
"I've always loved the word 'penumbra,' though I'm not entirely sure what it means."
-- Jake Lassiter

How could you not want to mother the hell out of this guy?
Tilda Kaplan
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Two of My Favorite Characters

Levine does a great job playing his characters with and against each other. Can' wait to see what comes next.
Charley Beans
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Liked it more than I expected to

Wanted to keep reading till the end. I will probably buy another. Eight more words required. Four more words. One.
DP Lyle
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Jake Lassiter and the Solomon and Lord series from Paul Levine are laugh-out-loud funny while being wonderfully crafted crime stories. Bum Rap brings the three characters together. In this one, Steve Solomon is accused of murder. Jake Lassiter, more line backer than lawyer, and Victoria Lord, must outwit the Russian mob, a clever “bar- girl,” and a host of killers to prove Solomon’s innocence—-sort of. This is a wild ride.

DP Lyle, award-winning author of the Jake Longly, Samantha Cody, and D
Lorraine
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bum Rap was an AWESOME read!!

Bum Wrap, reminded me of being a juror on a murder case, in Palm Beach County. This was, a non-stop read, a real page turner!!
Jake has to be a fellow attorney's lawyer, as the guy has been charged with murder of a club owner. Russian women, brought in the country, to ply liquor to men in the club, to run up charges on over priced liquor. Russian intrigue abound, with stolen diamonds involved.
Sharon
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I enjoyed reading this fun and quirky book. This story combined characters from two of the authors popular series, Solomon and Lord and Jake Lassiter. if you like legal thrillers I recommend this one to you.
Lowell Moore
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hairpin turns abound

Lots of twists and turns in this book. Expect the unexpected. The characters are very fluid with questionable scruples. But at least all characters have truth issues.
Harry Allagree
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the serious nature of the novel's premise, I found it absolutely delightful! Levine has a wicked sense of humor & a good judge of character. He knows how to keep the reader guessing right up to the end. A refreshing read!
James  Larson
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read, I will be reading more books by Paul Levine. Well developed characters and plot and very well written.
Kim Pounds
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story characters. Most of all i loved the sense of humot

Great story! I loved the humor. I read this one first. Now i need to go back and read the o es before it.
Nita Clark
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Terrific!!!

A really great legal thriller, sprinkled occasionally with some side-splitting humor. A great ending as well! Highly recommend to all.
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • Steamed (Maid in LA, #1)
  • City of Echoes (Detective Matt Jones #1)
  • End of Secrets
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
  • No Cry For Help
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
  • A Perfect Nanny (Giffort Street, #1)
  • Il mentore
  • Off Balance (Ballet Theatre Chronicles, #1)
  • Plaster City (A Jimmy Veeder Fiasco, #2)
  • The Disappearance of Mavis Woodstock (The Val & Kit Mystery Series, #1)
  • Death Makes the Cut (Jocelyn Shore #2)
  • Younger
  • Showbiz
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
  • Delayed Death (Temptation in Florence #1)
NEW and available in print, e-book and audio editions: Paul Levine's latest legal thriller, BUM DEAL, debuts June 2018.

“Fascinating, fully developed characters and smart, well-paced dialogue keep the pages turning. Levine manipulates the expectations of the reader as skillfully as Jake manipulates the expectations of the jury” — Publishers Weekly (starred review)

"Drop everything...Read it now...B
More about Paul Levine

Jake Lassiter (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • To Speak for the Dead (Jake Lassiter #1)
  • Night Vision (Jake Lassiter #2)
  • False Dawn (Jake Lassiter #3)
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter #4)
  • Riptide (Jake Lassiter, #5)
  • Fool Me Twice (Jake Lassiter #6)
  • Flesh and Bones (Jake Lassiter #7)
  • Lassiter (Jake Lassiter, #8)
  • State vs. Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #9)
  • Bum Luck (Jake Lassiter #11)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $15.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“T-shirt with the saying “I May Be Old, but I Got to See All the Cool Bands.” 2 likes
“We keep looking for justice, but it’s nothing but stormy nights and dark alleys out there.” 2 likes