Start by marking “Above (Broken Sky Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
Above (Broken Sky Chronicles #2)

Above

(Broken Sky Chronicles #2)

The epic adventure continues. . .

Hokk is a criminal outcast who has been scavenging the bodies that fall from the sky to Below for meagre treasures to help him survive. Elia hails from the floating kingdoms in the skies of Above, where the islands' edges are borders no one dares to cross except for the ritual burials that send their dead to Below. Together, these teens
Published September 1st 2015 by HarperTrophy (first published August 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Above, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above

Start your review of Above (Broken Sky Chronicles #2)
Jane
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The first book was unremarkable but enjoyable. This book is definitely a star below the first. Main characters Hokk and Elia have both become extremely unlikable, leaving me no one to care about except the fox. The science of the shattered world made less sense and was harder to believe in this book. The mechanics of everything do not seem to have been well thought out. Also, I felt the first book was aimed at 11-12 year olds, but the violence in this one raises the target age range above that. ...more
Wendy
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Above” the second book in the imaginative and exciting “Broken Sky Chronicles” a science fiction- fantasy is set in a dystopian world of floating islands bathed constantly in sunshine above the fury of rain storms that wash over the bleak plains of the wilderness below. The adventure continues when Elia and Hokk, leaving Koiyim behind escape the clutches of the Torkin flying to the Isle of Drifting Dunes where Tasheira (Tash) the daughter of Baron Shoad and her cousins Fimal and Neric are ...more
C2015
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Steve Chaput
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
In this sequel to the author’s Below, Elia returns to the floating islands that were her home. Accompanied by Hokk, the boy from Below, who is still exiled from his own home. Passing themselves off as a member of a royal family who has lost her memory and the surviving member of an exploratory group from yet another world, the two find themselves involved in palace intrigue.

A solid continuation of the Broken Sky Chronicles. This is YA novel.
Engel Dreizehn
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting blend of fantasy and sci-fi. I like that the female protagonist is trying to prove herself and toughness to the tribesmen through the narrative.
Maluhia
Jul 28, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf, unlikeable-mc
I gave it a chance after the lackluster read of Below, and I had to give up. I found the plotline dragging (again!) and the real turn off was the utter lack of morality/remorse of the characters. (view spoiler) The author seems like a very nice ...more
Fredrick Danysh
The world is layered. On is above the cloud bank that encompasses the lower level. Elia has fled the upper world bearing a secret that could end the empire of the upper world [Above] and struggles to fit in. Meanwhile she is pursed by Imperial guards. There are two parallel stories, one for each world. Above was an interesting science fiction read. It was a free review copy from Turner Publishing.
Amy
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this 3 stars instead of 4 as it's in medias res. These middle stories never seem to be quite as good as the beginning and the end even if the narrative does move nicely along. And this book is still very good. The action is original and the characters continue to develop in interesting ways. It just makes me long for the next book more and I know there will be a long wait.

This honest review is in exchange for a free copy received from the publisher.
Teresa
Jan 28, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
*e-Arc provided free for review by publisher via Edelweiss *
Rachel
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teens
Chabot leaves us on another crazy cliff hanger!!!!
Evonne
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A satisfying Part 2! Answers some questions and presents a few more. Blends future worlds with ours really well, I though. Looking forward to the final book in the trilogy!
Joanna (joreadsalot)

• Minaret
  • The White Mary
  • A Good Indian Wife
  • March
  • The Baby Maker (Hunter Brothers, #1)
  • The Volunteer
  • The Hunt (The Hunt, #1)
  • Forged (Taken, #3)
  • The Prey (The Hunt, #2)
  • Frozen (Taken, #2)
  • Nexus (Zeroes #3)
  • Swarm (Zeroes, #2)
  • Hot as Puck (Bad Motherpuckers, #1)
  • The Trap (The Hunt, #3)
  • Troubleshooter (Tim Rackley, #3)
I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, but grew up in the rural outskirts of a city called Chilliwack – a Stó:lō First Nations word meaning “quieter water up the river” – where our home was built beside a gurgling creek and surrounded by forests. With no neighbors in sight and only one channel on TV, I had plenty of time to invest in my imagination.

Looking back, the seed for The Broken Sky

Broken Sky Chronicles (3 books)
  • Below (Broken Skies: Book #1)
  • Beyond (Broken Skies: Book #3)