Start by marking “The Lost World (Jurassic Park, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lost World (Jurassic Park, #2)

The Lost World

(Jurassic Park #2)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  102,639 Ratings  ·  2,876 Reviews
Before seeing Jurassic World this June, read the sequel to the multimillion copy No. 1 bestselling thriller that inspired the first major motion picture Jurassic Park.

It is now six years since the secret disaster at Jurassic Park, six years since the extraordinary dream of science and imagination came to a crashing end - the dinosaurs destroyed, the park dismantled, the i
Published May 21st 2015 by Arrow (first published September 17th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost World, please sign up.
Austin Longenecker No, The Lost World is a sequel to the book. The books have nothing to do with the movies except for the fact that the movies are based on them. In…moreNo, The Lost World is a sequel to the book. The books have nothing to do with the movies except for the fact that the movies are based on them. In other words, the movies did not affect the outcome of the books. I'm not sure if I answered your question correctly.(less)
Zach Smith Ian Malcolm, Richard Levine, Jack Thorne, Sara Harding, Eddie Carr and two sneaky kids Arby and Kelly. And the biosyn crew.

Chelsea
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find a lot of people discuss the "resurrection" of Ian Malcolm in their reviews, and I'd like to throw in my two cents. It's true, Malcolm is mentioned as dead at the end of Jurassic Park. To be exact, Muldoon is telling Grant what's happened to everyone else as they're flying away in the helicopter:
"What about Malcolm?" Grant said.
Muldoon shook his head.

The epilogue mentions the Costa Rican government not permitting the burial of John Hammond or Ian Malcolm (amongst a list of other ways they
Beorn
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story goes that Steven Spielberg flush with the success of the first Jurassic Park movie, itself an adaptation of a Michael Chrichton novel, decided to try and repeat his success by commissioning the author to write a sequel to his original novel (which the first movie was based on) which they could then adapt into a movie.
Whether or not that's true I cannot say but I will say that do not base your initial judgement of this book or the prospect of reading it on the lacklustre utter turkey th
Chris Friend
Mar 06, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No living creature on earth. Except silverfish. They need the fiber.
Casey
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will start my review by saying that I did not enjoy this novel nearly as much as the first book, Jurassic Park. While this was an incredibly easy and fast read, I would have preferred if Crichton had cut roughly a hundred pages of additional information that, in my opinion, did not add to the story. Other than that, wow! What an adrenaline-charging, action-packed book! Crichton sure knew how to grab his audience by the hand and take them on a roller-coaster into a whole other world—a world in ...more
Peter Meredith
The Lost World is not a very good book. The story is a slog to start and the characters are very weak. So weak that if any of them had actually been eaten by the constantly hungry dinosaurs I would've been like: shrug.
As the story progressed and I waited impatiently to find out: would they actually solve the mystery of the missing Dr Levine and go to the island of dinosaurs--as if there was a chance of that not happening--I was introduced to a series of these weak characters and it then became
This might turn out to be one of my favorite books of all time. I feel like there was so much to love. I don’t care if he was just cashing in on the success of the Jurassic Park movie. I’m not even mad that Malcolm’s death was retconned. What I’m mad about, is that Hollywood took a beautiful book and hacked it into pieces and tried to dazzle us with animatronic dinosaurs. Okay so I like animatronic dinosaurs too, but still- there was no need.

The plot is this: Dr. Levine suspects something happen
K.
Trigger warnings: violence, gore, near drowning, seriously you guys, there's so much gore.

30/10/2017
On reread, I'm bumping this up to 4.25 stars. It's ten bazillion times better than the truly terrible movie of the same name. I love the two kids in the story - they're smart and brave and save the day a bunch of times. And Sarah Harding is a pretty great alternative to Ellie Sattler.

It's a little slower to get going than Jurassic Park, but it's still pretty damned fabulous.

24/9/2016
It takes a d
Eddie Owens
Andrew
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that I do enjoy the writing style of Michael Crichton and although he has had his share of varying popularity I always feel I can trust his writing to deliver (even if to some that feels safe and uninspiring)

Anyway I digress - this was the second of his Jurassic Park novels and again a loose basis for the film (it still fascinates me how the first book and film diverge, digressing again), however the film was such a success there is little of surprise to the book, for me it was mo
William Dalphin
Sep 05, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masochists and the illiterate
What I learned from The Lost World: The only people worthy of surviving in Crichton's world are geniuses. Everyone else is destined to be fodder/feed for terrorizing thunder lizards.

The Lost World suffers from two things: First off, if you've ever read Jurassic Park, then you know that TLW's protagonist, Ian Malcolm, is, in fact, dead. That's right... he died in Jurassic Park, but since they couldn't convince Sam Neill to return for the movie, Crichton rewrote history so that Malcolm somehow sur
Karen
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Now that was really enjoyable!! I really loved all the science and theories.

Bella
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok so this book gained an extra star because Lex was not in it. Hands down that originally made me want to give it five stars. But lets get to why this book got two stars.

First off.... (view spoiler)
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
I still maintain that without Ian Malcolm this book would've received a 2-2.5 star rating because without his snark I would've been bored to deathhhh. As it is, 4 stars feels generous but that ending just put me in a good mood. Good book, not sure it was necessary because nothing will top the original, but Malcolm spits so much truth about theories and what humans think we know that I'd say it deserves a read if you liked Jurassic Park.

...Can we have the new Jurassic World movie now plz?
David Firmage
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the first book and great narration by Anthony Heald. A sense of peril that is not evident in the film.
Krystal
Not even close to as amazing as the first book, but this still has some great dino moments and absolutely fascinating ideas.

WARNING: This review contains unhidden spoilers for Jurassic Park.

The sequel is a little slow to get into. It's been six years since the events of the first book, but it's all been covered up and the people involved deny having been a part of anything. Hammond has stayed dead (unlike Malcolm) so we need a new reason to head back into dino territory and that reason comes in
Ali (the bandar blog)

the bandar blog

In case you missed it, not too long ago I was raving about Jurassic Park. I hadn't read the book before and was instantly obsessed. Needless to say, I was quick to pick up The Lost World, because sequels = more dinosaurs. While I didn't end up obsessing over The Lost World quite as much as JP, the 12-year-old boy in me was still satisfied by T-Rex scares, human-eating dinosaurs, and terrifying AF raptors.

What I didn't like quite as much:

It seemed just a tad-bit more science-y. Lots and lots
Deslni01
Michael Crichton's The Lost World is an interesting piece of work. On the one hand, it is an exciting, page-gripping, edge of the seat thriller reminiscent of the first Jurassic Park novel. On the other hand, it is exactly that: reminiscent of the first Jurassic Park novel. In many ways, it is merely a rehash of the original. Ian Malcolm returns, as does Dodgson, there are other dinosaur and mammalian experts involved (of course, they are all considered the best in the world), and the story coul ...more
Arybo ✨
È come Jurassic Park, ma sbiadito. Ci sono tutti i contenuti del primo libro (dinosauri, isola, umani stupidi ed avidi, umani scienziati e più attenti , matematici e geni del computer, ragazzini), ma il tutto si armonizza di meno.
Suzanne
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, library, thriller
Note to self: if I am EVER stuck on an island with dinosaurs, do not be a jerk or I'm guaranteed to be eaten by a T-Rex. Also, if I ever need to look up anything on a computer, ask a kid because apparently adults cannot operate them.

The Jurassic Park adventures are always fun. One thing I especially liked about this book is the woman scientist was one of the strongest and most competent of the team. (The movie drove me crazy because the so-called African animal expert took blood soaked stuff INT
Rosie (mrsbunnymum)
Not as good as the first one, but still great. It's very sciencey and if that's your thing, then you'll love this too. I personally love the more sciencey side of things and can totally relate to Ian Malcolm and the other scientists whenever they correct people's use of common animal names and instinctively blurt out the scientific name. I do that too. I feel like there was a little less action this time round and some people would probably dislike that but obviously we've moved past the first s ...more
Enrique
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well to be honest, I had watched the film adaptation before reading the novel. I loved the film especially with the Big Rex attacking my hometown. (Sadly the news never reported it). Now I had begun reading it kind of late, since I could only find a copy of it at Barnes&Nobels but I begun reading!

Now when I did read the novel I tried to clear my mind and not try to expect alot from it. However when I actually did get to reading the Lost World I was slightly dissapointed. To be frank I think
Brian
Sep 08, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jurassic Park was pretty good, but this book was rather poor. It reads like a bad movie. The author is so intent upon pushing Chaos Theory upon the reader that he often forces the characters to behave way, way, WAY out of their habits in order to force things to go wrong.

People suddenly do really stupid things. People forget that they have weapons. All attempts to prepare for a situation automatically fail, because it's completely impossible (not just improbable) for a prepared individual to act
Debbie
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having recently re-read Jurassic Park, I realized that I had never bothered with the sequel. I am glad I did but it wasn't all that great. It did not measure up to the 1st one at all. There is far less action and WAY more talk.

I felt that this was Crighton's way of spewing some interesting and some not so interesting facts out into the world. It seemed that he needed his readers to know all about complicated math theorems, evolution and extinction, et al. Sadly he used the character, Ian Malcolm
Corey
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The Lost World takes place six years after the Jurassic Park incident, and just like in the movie version, Dr. Alan Grant and Dr. Sattler did not return but Dr. Ian Malcolm does return for his role. The Lost World was an entertaining read, although I'll say not as good as Jurassic Park, for a number of reasons, but I won't go into all of them. I found myself skipping through some of the unnecessary parts that weren't really important to the story but when I came to some of the important parts I ...more
Carmine
Quando i dinosauri dominavano la terra

Divertente intrattenimento da leggere sotto l'ombrellone.
Persa completamente la profondità contenutistica dell'opera precedente, l'infausto ritorno a Isla Sorna promette frizzanti guazzabugli preistorici con dinosauri esagitati e piuttosto birichini.
Certo, lo svolgimento è piuttosto scolastico e non aiuta l'oramai assente fattore sorpresa (vantaggio di cui il primo libro e relativo adattamento cinematografico hanno goduto).
Cathy (cathepsut)
Read it, liked it, Jurassic Park was better. What I loved about this book and still remember pretty well--it taught me about Chaos Theory, which fascinated me for quite a while after reading this.
P. Lundburg
For me, a disappointment after the first Jurassic Park, but still a great read.
Arun Divakar
Some people you know and some books you read might have one thing in common in that the one you meet after decades might not be the same as you remember them. Some changes might be subtle while others may be overt and very visible. Since here we talk only about books, over time big parts of the story have been forgotten by your mind . Some scenes at times can be recollected but then the part of your mind that deals with reading keeps asking itself "Was this how it was earlier ? "

During my child
Janice
Obviously, there are braver souls than me, even if they are fictional. I'm content to read about these characters who willingly share space with T-Rex and Velociraptors. It's safe in my armchair and I don't need to worry about being some dinosaur's next lunch.

There were thrills and chills, and there was science and theory. Get the adrenaline up, then bore us to tears with dry facts. Perhaps it's a good balance.

Still, it was fun to imagine.
Dirk
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
30.04.:
I just started it to re-read. Lost a lot of the the parts in the last 20 years.

19.05.:
Yes, i am finished and like 20 years ago, Malcolm is my favorite character in the book. The chaos theorist who wants to explain everything.
As he explained it, small implications with big effects. Does it have any effect if I decide in the morning to go the way left instead right. I do not know, and I won't get any feedback on that either.

But it sounds good that there would be any effect. That would mean
Goodreads Librari...: Please add details 2 207 Jul 17, 2018 06:23PM
Easter Egg 2 10 Jun 28, 2018 01:58AM
Which was better: Book or Movie? 39 322 Aug 29, 2017 03:53PM
Around the Year i...: The Lost World, by Michael Crichton 10 18 Jul 29, 2016 06:35PM
Jurassic World movie early reactions 3 32 Dec 13, 2015 03:17AM
  • Primal Waters (MEG #3)
  • Raptor Red
  • Far-Seer (Quintaglio Ascension, #1)
  • Rainbow Six (Jack Ryan Universe, #10)
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • The Trikon Deception
  • Fantastic Voyage II:  Destination Brain
  • The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #3)
  • The Ransom of Black Stealth One (Aerospace Systems, #1)
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  • Jurassic Park III
  • Back to the Future, Part 3
  • Tyrannosaur Canyon (Wyman Ford #1)
  • Flood Tide (Dirk Pitt, #14)
  • Excavation
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual
  • The Star Wars Trilogy
  • Aliens: The Female War
Michael Crichton (1942–2008) was one of the most successful novelists of his generation, admired for his meticulous scientific research and fast-paced narrative. He graduated summa cum laude and earned his MD from Harvard Medical School in 1969. His first novel, Odds On (1966), was written under the pseudonym John Lange and was followed by seven more Lange novels. He also wrote as Michael Dougla ...more

Jurassic Park (2 books)
  • Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Hippopotamus
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
“What makes you think human beings are sentient and aware? There's no evidence for it. Human beings never think for themselves, they find it too uncomfortable. For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told-and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity, and the characteristic result is religious warfare. Other animals fight for territory or food; but, uniquely in the animal kingdom, human beings fight for their 'beliefs.' The reason is that beliefs guide behavior which has evolutionary importance among human beings. But at a time when our behavior may well lead us to extinction, I see no reason to assume we have any awareness at all. We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion. Next question.” 376 likes
“All your life people will tell you things. And most of the time, probably ninety-five percent of the time, what they'll tell you will be wrong.” 180 likes